Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Zeiss Contax (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Review of Tenax II (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170099)

wes loder 11-27-2019 13:27

Review of Tenax II
 
Mike Eckman has posted a review of the Tenax II. Go to: <https://www.mikeeckman.com/2019/11/zeiss-ikon-tenax-ii-1938/?fbclid=IwAR1YhXFeSZonZIUbWcPEs4nUnwAFu60QwMnnMel6 1zenmJ0pOwI58G3EFck>
Enjoy, WES

besk 11-27-2019 15:34

Very interesting article. Thanks for pointing it out.

Just wish they made a modern 35mm rangefinder in square format with coated lenses and a meter. I have a Robot with no meter and a Minolta 24 Rapid with nonworking meter.

eckmanmj 11-27-2019 16:15

Thanks for sharing Wes! :)

wes loder 11-27-2019 16:16

Some of the Tenax II lenses were coated, mainly ones intended for the German armed forces. As for a meter, a metered version was planned but never manufactured. Sorry.

raid 11-27-2019 16:42

My Tenax II has a Sonnar 40/2. The lens and the camera are beautiful. My set looks like new to my eyes.

raid 11-27-2019 16:45

Thanks for the link. Wes.

markjwyatt 01-07-2020 09:57

A little late responding. I have been reading about Zeiss Ikon over the holidays, so the thread just caught my eye. Interesting article. I have been reading the Hove books set on Zeiss Ikon (1926-1939 [Tubbs], and 1939-1972 [Berringer/Small]), and now feel I have a much better feel for what Zeiss Ikon was, how they are related to Carl Zeiss, etc. I have a few Zeiss/Zeiss-Ikon cameras and lenses from that time period, and have been a fan for decades, so it was good to get a bit more educated. This article was very detailed specifically on the Tenax (which I do not own). Thanks for posting.

xayraa33 01-07-2020 10:23

I always thought that the Tenax is a cool looking camera....that has a timeless beautiful design like found on the Contax II and the Nikon SP.

markjwyatt 01-07-2020 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayraa33 (Post 2933840)
I always thought that the Tenax is a cool looking camera....that has a timeless beautiful design like found on the Contax II and the Nikon SP.

In terms of appearance as well as some features, two of my favorite Zeiss Ikons (in addition to the Contax series) are the Ermanox (started before Emamann was merged into Zeiss Ikon) and the Contaflex 35mm TLR.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ermanox
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Contaflex_(TLR)

xayraa33 01-07-2020 11:55

I believe there is an element of art-deco design in the pre war Contax and the Tenax cameras that was so popular in the 1930s and holds up very well as a pleasant aesthetic thru the decades....even the Nikon RF cameras copied this cool form and they recognised its timeless chic.

markjwyatt 01-07-2020 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayraa33 (Post 2933858)
I believe there is an element of art-deco design in the pre war Contax and the Tenax cameras that was so popular in the 1930s and holds up very well as a pleasant aesthetic thru the decades....even the Nikon RF cameras copied this cool form and they recognised its timeless chic.

How about the Ihagee Exaktas that also made an impact at that time (mid 30s)? They still have a unique look.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Kine_Exakta

xayraa33 01-07-2020 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by markjwyatt (Post 2933893)
How about the Ihagee Exaktas that also made an impact at that time (mid 30s)? They still have a unique look.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Kine_Exakta

Yes, they do look kind of cool too, they are not a very practical design handling wise though.

markjwyatt 01-07-2020 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayraa33 (Post 2933898)
Yes, they do look kind of cool too, they are not a very practical design handling wise though.

Some people really like them, especially later models where perhaps some of the bugs got worked out (Varex for example). But I digress from the topic of this forum (Contax)and thread (Tenax).

ranger9 01-07-2020 17:03

Enjoyed the article, although I didn't think much of his dismissing high-quality pre-Leica 35s such as the Tourist Multiple and Simplex Special as “ some hobbled together model built with very low quality control standards.”

eckmanmj 02-07-2020 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger9 (Post 2933926)
Enjoyed the article, although I didn't think much of his dismissing high-quality pre-Leica 35s such as the Tourist Multiple and Simplex Special as some hobbled together model built with very low quality control standards.

Fair point. Admittedly, you picked probably the two best "pre-Leica" 35mm cameras.

I've actually written about the Tourist Multiple already and gave it very high marks as it was one COOL camera!

https://www.mikeeckman.com/2019/05/k...rist-multiple/

I know a collector who has a working one and I hope to one day be able to give it a full hands on test!

-Mike


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.