Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Film / Developing / Chemistry (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Film advice for my New York trip (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169524)

lxmike 09-17-2019 12:50

Film advice for my New York trip
 
Off to New York in November, usually shoot with hP5 in the Uk, will this be enough for New York or should l take a higher rated asa film, (hopefully helen et al can shed some light on this). Many thanks for the help

kxl 09-17-2019 12:52

When you say New York, I'm assuming you're going to NYC? If so, bring what you usually shoot. If you need somethings faster, stop by B&H or Adorama.

Calzone 09-17-2019 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by lxmike (Post 2912934)
Off to New York in November, usually shoot with hP5 in the Uk, will this be enough for New York or should l take a higher rated asa film, (hopefully helen et al can shed some light on this). Many thanks for the help

Mike,

400 ISO is fine. If I were you though I'd bring some Tri-X to shoot at night (800 ISO) with a fast lens, develope in Diafine. In urban areas there is mucho light at night to test your hand held skills.

If you are a mostly 50 shooter definately bring the 50, but know that because of crowds, congestion, and confined spaces a wide is a good thing to have.

There is a culture of tourists, and pretty much I shoot with a 28 pretty close. Because I'm an Asian I get mistaken as a tourist and get yelled at "F-ing tourist" because in Madhattan it is no-no and the NYPD will surely protect and take the side of the tourist.

Pretty much you can get away with crossing boundries if you dare. Don't be shy with a wide.

Cal

lxmike 09-17-2019 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by kxl (Post 2912935)
When you say New York, I'm assuming you're going to NYC? If so, bring what you usually shoot. If you need somethings faster, stop by B&H or Adorama.


many thanks is B and H central to new York

lxmike 09-17-2019 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calzone (Post 2912937)
Mike,

400 ISO is fine. If I were you though I'd bring some Tri-X to shoot at night (800 ISO) with a fast lens, develope in Diafine. In urban areas there is mucho light at night to test your hand held skills.

If you are a mostly 50 shooter definately bring the 50, but know that because of crowds, congestion, and confined spaces a wide is a good thing to have.

There is a culture of tourists, and pretty much I shoot with a 28 pretty close. Because I'm an Asian I get mistaken as a tourist and get yelled at "F-ing tourist" because in Madhattan it is no-no and the NYPD will surely protect and take the side of the tourist.

Pretty much you can get away with crossing boundries if you dare. Don't be shy with a wide.

Cal


Taking a nokton 50/1/5 and a Heliar 15/4 as my lens options

fiddle 09-17-2019 13:07

B&H is dead center of Manhattan. Dont bring film, get it here, one less xray to go through.

lxmike 09-17-2019 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddle (Post 2912942)
B&H is dead center of Manhattan. Dont bring film, get it here, one less xray to go through.


good idea:)

giganova 09-17-2019 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddle (Post 2912942)
B&H is dead center of Manhattan. Dont bring film, get it here, one less xray to go through.

And bring 10 extra hours and give your credit card to your wife.

ornate_wrasse 09-17-2019 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by lxmike (Post 2912939)
is B and H central to new York

The address of B&H is:

420 9th Ave

You can easily walk to the store or, if you prefer, take the subway and walk to the store from the nearest subway stop.

I highly recommend stopping in for the experience, The store is truly amazing and should be experienced by every photographer who has the opportunity to visit New York City. While there, you can buy the film you need as another poster has suggested.

I was really impressed by their unique checkout system. While there a few years ago, I bought film in the film department (which was not on the first floor) then bought a bag in the bag department (also not not the first floor). Both items then magically appeared on the first floor when I was ready to check out!

Enjoy your visit to New York City!

Ellen

Pentode 09-17-2019 13:23

The lenses you’re bringing should work well. Something in the 35-28 range, as Cal suggested, would also be very handy on the street in NYC.

HP5 or Tri-X is fine. I usually shoot during the day so I often use slower film - 100 or 125 - but I really like Tri-X in NY.

In 25+ years of shooting in the street in NYC I’ve never been yelled at or called a tourist by anyone (what kind of trouble are you getting yourself into, Cal? ;) ). The worst I’ve ever encountered is the occasional sideways glance.

Huss 09-17-2019 13:48

You have to travel with at least one roll of film before you get to B&H. Cuz you are going to see the shot of a life time on the way there.

p.s. do not wear a Boston Red Sox cap in NYC.

Bingley 09-17-2019 15:53

I spent a week in NYC at the end of August. I shot Tri-X at 800 and FP4+ at 250, and developed both in Diafine. The results are looking good (still scanning the negs). I mostly used a CV Skopar 50/2.5 and a Summaron 35/3.5 to a lesser extent. I felt 50mm was perfect for both street and urban landscape photos.

The idea of purchasing film at B&H is an excellent one. Also, B&H is only a few blocks from one end of the High Line, which is a great walk (the other end is at the Whitney Museum).

Rob-F 09-17-2019 16:09

Tri-X or HP5 will be a good choice except for low light situations. I put some Delta 1600 to good use there one winter. Then they discontinued it. But you can push your ISO 400 film to 1600.

KenR 09-17-2019 16:52

B&H hours in November are a bit odd - they close early on Friday afternoon, are closed all day Saturday and then reopen on Sunday.
I like stand developers or two bath developers for winter street shots in Manhattan. With the low sun in the morning and afternoon, there is a big difference in exposure between the sunny and shaded sides of the street leading to a lot of blown out highlights or muddy shadows. Enjoy.

Ko.Fe. 09-17-2019 17:40

HP5 is well pushable upto 3200.
I recommend at least 1600 for November. Some brave people also using flash!

james.liam 09-17-2019 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenR (Post 2912994)
B&H hours in November are a bit odd - they close early on Friday afternoon, are closed all day Saturday and then reopen on Sunday.
I like stand developers or two bath developers for winter street shots in Manhattan. With the low sun in the morning and afternoon, there is a big difference in exposure between the sunny and shaded sides of the street leading to a lot of blown out highlights or muddy shadows. Enjoy.

Not odd, really.
The proprietors are Jewish and the Sabbath commences just before sundown on Friday. Hence, they re-open on Sunday morning. You can spend an hour or two there and then go to brunch. The new neighborhood of Hudson Yards with its growing crowds, fancy eateries, elaborate & exotic architecture, are but one city block away.

With the failing light of November, as Ko.Fe. mentions above, a higher ISO B&W film wouldn't hurt and B&H has a copious supply of Kokak Tmax P3200 any boy or girl will need for a lifetime. Given its sensitivity to X-rays buy it in New York, send it for development in the States or get a shield for the rolls while at B&H to bring them back for development at home.

lxmike 09-18-2019 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by giganova (Post 2912945)
And bring 10 extra hours and give your credit card to your wife.

sounds sensible GAS attack

lxmike 09-18-2019 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ornate_wrasse (Post 2912947)
The address of B&H is:

420 9th Ave

You can easily walk to the store or, if you prefer, take the subway and walk to the store from the nearest subway stop.

I highly recommend stopping in for the experience, The store is truly amazing and should be experienced by every photographer who has the opportunity to visit New York City. While there, you can buy the film you need as another poster has suggested.

I was really impressed by their unique checkout system. While there a few years ago, I bought film in the film department (which was not on the first floor) then bought a bag in the bag department (also not not the first floor). Both items then magically appeared on the first floor when I was ready to check out!

Enjoy your visit to New York City!

Ellen

Sounds like l am going to enjoy this store

lxmike 09-18-2019 02:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentode (Post 2912948)
The lenses youíre bringing should work well. Something in the 35-28 range, as Cal suggested, would also be very handy on the street in NYC.

HP5 or Tri-X is fine. I usually shoot during the day so I often use slower film - 100 or 125 - but I really like Tri-X in NY.

In 25+ years of shooting in the street in NYC Iíve never been yelled at or called a tourist by anyone (what kind of trouble are you getting yourself into, Cal? ;) ). The worst Iíve ever encountered is the occasional sideways glance.

L must admit l am really excited about visiting new york

lxmike 09-18-2019 02:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huss (Post 2912953)
You have to travel with at least one roll of film before you get to B&H. Cuz you are going to see the shot of a life time on the way there.

p.s. do not wear a Boston Red Sox cap in NYC.


again very sensible suggestions
many thanks

lxmike 09-18-2019 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingley (Post 2912984)
I spent a week in NYC at the end of August. I shot Tri-X at 800 and FP4+ at 250, and developed both in Diafine. The results are looking good (still scanning the negs). I mostly used a CV Skopar 50/2.5 and a Summaron 35/3.5 to a lesser extent. I felt 50mm was perfect for both street and urban landscape photos.

The idea of purchasing film at B&H is an excellent one. Also, B&H is only a few blocks from one end of the High Line, which is a great walk (the other end is at the Whitney Museum).

a 50 and a 15 is what l am probably going to settle on:)

lxmike 09-18-2019 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenR (Post 2912994)
B&H hours in November are a bit odd - they close early on Friday afternoon, are closed all day Saturday and then reopen on Sunday.
I like stand developers or two bath developers for winter street shots in Manhattan. With the low sun in the morning and afternoon, there is a big difference in exposure between the sunny and shaded sides of the street leading to a lot of blown out highlights or muddy shadows. Enjoy.

many thanks, large photo store are now nearly a thing of the past in most of the UK these days

lxmike 09-18-2019 02:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob-F (Post 2912987)
Tri-X or HP5 will be a good choice except for low light situations. I put some Delta 1600 to good use there one winter. Then they discontinued it. But you can push your ISO 400 film to 1600.

its good to have pushing film as an option, and l live a bit of grain

lxmike 09-18-2019 02:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by james.liam (Post 2913011)
Not odd, really.
The proprietors are Jewish and the Sabbath commences just before sundown on Friday. Hence, they re-open on Sunday morning. You can spend an hour or two there and then go to brunch. The new neighborhood of Hudson Yards with its growing crowds, fancy eateries, elaborate & exotic architecture, are but one city block away.

With the failing light of November, as Ko.Fe. mentions above, a higher ISO B&W film wouldn't hurt and B&H has a copious supply of Kokak Tmax P3200 any boy or girl will need for a lifetime. Given its sensitivity to X-rays buy it in New York, send it for development in the States or get a shield for the rolls while at B&H to bring them back for development at home.

photo store then brunch sounds fab, my friend told me not to miss brunch on a Sunday when States side,

james.liam 09-18-2019 06:07

There's a pro film developing place called LTI Lightside were you can have your film processed and professionally printed while you're in NYC. Highly recommended for B&W, C41.

Calzone 09-18-2019 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentode (Post 2912948)

In 25+ years of shooting in the street in NYC Iíve never been yelled at or called a tourist by anyone (what kind of trouble are you getting yourself into, Cal? ;) ). The worst Iíve ever encountered is the occasional sideways glance.

P,

I have bad boundries and I tend to shoot kinda close. A guy who I met at B&H mentioned that I reminded him of Joel Meyerwitz, who was one of his friends. What does that mean?

Anyways I joke around that one of my great talents it seems is that I annoy people. LOL.

Also people who shoot with me tell me that I tend to draw out the crazies. I think this is not untrue. My guess is that it takes one to know one. Perhaps also it is not so much an exaggeration that I can think of myself as a tourist attraction and that people come to NYC to meet somewhat a very different and perhaps interesting "character."

Know that my gal is a celeb because she is some big time fashion blogger with over 685K followers. I kinda get into all kinds of "sich-E-Ations" where I don't really belong. Kinda funny when I can say, "I was just walking along, minding my own business" and something rather remarkable happens that I get swept into.

While I'm not a celeb, I'm definitely pretty well known. I kinda stand out of a crowd.

Cal

Calzone 09-18-2019 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by lxmike (Post 2913066)
L must admit l am really excited about visiting new york

Mike,

NYC is a shooter's paradise. Buy lots of film. Also don't be shy. Cameras and photographers are everywhere.

Cal

lxmike 09-18-2019 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by james.liam (Post 2913086)
There's a pro film developing place called LTI Lightside were you can have your film processed and professionally printed while you're in NYC. Highly recommended for B&W, C41.


thanks for the local knowledge, very helpful

lxmike 09-18-2019 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calzone (Post 2913091)
Mike,

NYC is a shooter's paradise. Buy lots of film. Also don't be shy. Cameras and photographers are everywhere.

Cal

taking 400 black and white and some 800 re-spooled cine colour film just for the fun

lxmike 09-18-2019 06:50

thanks for all the replies everyone, very helpful, getting quite excited about my trip now

Ko.Fe. 09-18-2019 07:01

Many USA major airports switched to new screening systems. I saw one in Boston. They had sign - safe for up to ISO 400 films.
It means ISO800 films and higher ISO are in some risk.
This is why I recommend to keep using HP5+, but at 1600, 3200 due to lack of light in November.
400 pushed film is still 400 sensible emulsion, not 1600/3200. It is safe to travel.
Manhattan is street photography paradise. I would get bulk loader, re loadable cassettes and couple of HP5+ bulks.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...bulk_film.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._For_Bulk.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l?sts=pi&pim=Y

stompyq 09-18-2019 07:38

Just FYI B&H, adorama and many other NYC photography stores close early every Friday and are closed all day Saturday in observance of the sabbath. Also if you are coming in October many Jewish holidays fall on that month so make sure you go to the B&H site and check the holiday hours. Many of us have gotten burned by forgetting this (just ask JSrockit).

Depending on the weather conditions ISO 100 or 400 speed film should be fine here. Don't bring film. Buy it here.

lxmike 09-18-2019 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. (Post 2913104)
Many USA major airports switched to new screening systems. I saw one in Boston. They had sign - safe for up to ISO 400 films.
It means ISO800 films and higher ISO are in some risk.
This is why I recommend to keep using HP5+, but at 1600, 3200 due to lack of light in November.
400 pushed film is still 400 sensible emulsion, not 1600/3200. It is safe to travel.
Manhattan is street photography paradise. I would get bulk loader, re loadable cassettes and couple of HP5+ bulks.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...bulk_film.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._For_Bulk.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l?sts=pi&pim=Y

many thanks, this is why l love this forum, its useful info heavy:)

lxmike 09-18-2019 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by stompyq (Post 2913112)
Just FYI B&H, adorama and many other NYC photography stores close early every Friday and are closed all day Saturday in observance of the sabbath. Also if you are coming in October many Jewish holidays fall on that month so make sure you go to the B&H site and check the holiday hours. Many of us have gotten burned by forgetting this (just ask JSrockit).

Depending on the weather conditions ISO 100 or 400 speed film should be fine here. Don't bring film. Buy it here.

many thanks l shall be travelling november 28th, out of interest will the Christmas tree be up in times square buy then

Phil_F_NM 09-18-2019 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by lxmike (Post 2913120)
many thanks l shall be travelling november 28th, out of interest will the Christmas tree be up in times square buy then

It stays up till just after New Year. If you go there you can get stuck in a crowd, lift your feet up and be carried for an hour without touching the ground.
Phil Forrest

stompyq 09-18-2019 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by lxmike (Post 2913120)
many thanks l shall be travelling november 28th, out of interest will the Christmas tree be up in times square buy then

The tree goes up in Rockefeller sq. Not Times sq. I think November 28th might be a little too early. In any case you are not missing anything. You will be stuck for hours there. Much better things to look at in NYC.

DRESS WARM. The wind can get brutal with all the building funneling it. I lived in upstate NY for a long time where temperatures drop much lower than in NYC but didn't feel as cold.

nightfly 09-18-2019 10:29

Don't wast too much time in B&H as tempting as it is. Get your film and hit the streets.

Buy some Tri-X, HP5 makes everything look like England ;)

Kent 09-18-2019 10:31

JCH 400 (Japan Camera Hunter)

dourbalistar 09-18-2019 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by lxmike (Post 2913120)
many thanks l shall be travelling november 28th, out of interest will the Christmas tree be up in times square buy then

Not sure if you will be in transit on that date, but 11/28 is American Thanksgiving. The following day, Black Friday, is a major retail day that's one of the busiest shopping days of the year. B&H and other retailers typically have major sale promotions around that time, so the store may be busier than normal.

lxmike 09-18-2019 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfly (Post 2913140)
Don't wast too much time in B&H as tempting as it is. Get your film and hit the streets.

Buy some Tri-X, HP5 makes everything look like England ;)


tri x it is then:cool:


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.