Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Film / Developing / Chemistry (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   News from Kodak Alaris and Fujifilm (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167703)

HHPhoto 02-19-2019 01:29

News from Kodak Alaris and Fujifilm
 
Hi,

first a short disclaimer:
This post is only for friendly film shooters who are really interested in the ongoing use of this medium. This post is not for the doom-and-gloom preachers...:D.

1. Kodak Alaris:
https://photobite.uk/in-conversation...-kodak-alaris/
Short summary:
- the film market is growing
- therefore Kodak Alaris is seriously thinking about the reintroduction of further film types in the future.

2. Fujifilm North America:
https://www.instagram.com/fujifilm_profilm/?hl=de
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtzN4z3Bonu/
They are increasing their marketing efforts and will join the WPPI in Las Vegas.
Quote:
"We'll be there with a ton of #film fun including on-site film developing, scanning & printing, a free photo walk with @richardphotolab, a film photography panel discussion with @thefindlab @photovisionprints @richardphotolab & special guest @josevilla as well as a talented lineup of #filmphotographer speakers including @danrubin, @erichmcvey & @nickcarver. See you in Vegas!"

Have fun, shoot film :).

Cheers, Jan

lynnb 02-19-2019 01:54

Thanks Jan. It would be nice if they get around to re-releasing Plus-X (personally I'd rather Panatomic-X but I think that's too small a market, having in the meanwhile become used to FP4+ and APX100 as Plus-X replacements).

robert blu 02-19-2019 02:25

I shoot both film and digital. These are good news, nice to know. Thanks for posting.
robert
PS: I like the photo of the Harrow Kodak factory!

Ted Striker 02-19-2019 03:04

Fascinating article about Kodak Alaris. Who the heck knew they were in the US mortgage market!!??

Larry Cloetta 02-19-2019 03:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnb (Post 2870041)
..............(personally I'd rather Panatomic-X.................).

Me too.....

Rob-F 02-19-2019 04:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnb (Post 2870041)
Thanks Jan. It would be nice if they get around to re-releasing Plus-X . . .

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

Mackinaw 02-19-2019 06:11

I discovered a 5-pack of 120 Plus-X in my freezer a few weeks back. I just shot it last week. Man, I do miss that film. Hope it makes it back into production.

Jim B.

nightfly 02-19-2019 08:33

Let me know when they reintroduce Kodachrome and the labs to develop it.

Skiff 02-19-2019 08:58

Thanks for the info. Very interesting, but not surprising :).
Concerning possible Kodak films coming back: I think it makes sense to look at which films lasted longer in the programme than others = which were discontinued as the last, which have had demand for a longer time than others. And then we will find.......Kodak BW 400 CN, the chromogenic film.
As lots of the new demand is coming from young beginners, such a film with its easy handling, extreme latitude and easy processing (C41, every minilab can process it) could make sense in the future market.
And Plus-X may follow after that........
Good to see Fujifilms increased activities, too. We need both color film producers in the market!

ptpdprinter 02-19-2019 09:00

Fujifilm's new marketing effort is a good step. Now if they would just stop discontinuing films. Not sure what films Kodak is considering reviving. Haven't heard much about the new Ektachrome since its roll out. Has everyone now shot their one roll out of curiosity and gone back to whatever they were shooting before?

Mackinaw 02-19-2019 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptpdprinter (Post 2870115)
..Haven't heard much about the new Ektachrome since it's roll out. Has everyone now shot their one roll out of curiosity and gone back to whatever they were shooting before?

There is a Ektachrome thread in the film sub-forum. Some nice images there.

I haven't shot any yet, mainly because its mid-winter in northern Michigan, with the primary color being white (snow). I'll wait until spring, and the return of color, before trying some.

Jim B.

Timmyjoe 02-19-2019 09:22

Plus-X would make me VERY, VERY HAPPY!

We'll see how it goes.

Best,
-Tim

css9450 02-19-2019 09:30

Plus-X or Verichrome Pan, but honestly I don't remember how those differed from each other.

E.M 02-19-2019 09:44

I am mainly a color shooter , so Kodachrome would make very happy !

Skiff 02-19-2019 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptpdprinter (Post 2870115)
Fujifilm's new marketing effort is a good step. Now if they would just stop discontinuing films.

They have already done that: At photokina they made an official statement in that regard. They will continue with the current film programme.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptpdprinter (Post 2870115)
Not sure what films Kodak is considering reviving. Haven't heard much about the new Ektachrome since it's roll out. Has everyone now shot their one roll out of curiosity and gone back to whatever they were shooting before?

I've shot lots of the new Ektachrome. Very good film with improved neutral color rendition (the Kodak typical cyan cast in the blues - especially in the sky - is completely gone).
But real ISO sensivity is only 80/20. Sharpness and resolution are lower compared to Provia 100F. Provia remains the benchmark, the best neutral tone color reversal film.

telenous 02-19-2019 09:49

If they bring Plus-X back, then prayers are answered, sometimes.

.

Skiff 02-19-2019 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.M (Post 2870130)
I am mainly a color shooter , so Kodachrome would make very happy !

Kodachrome will never come back (that was officially explained by Kodak). It makes no sense, because
- E6 films have surpassed Kodachrome in all technological aspects (resolution, fineness of grain, sharpness, color rendition, color stability under light) already in the 90ies
- E6 can easily be developed - both in big and small labs and at home
- Kodachrome needs a complete new processing infrastructure: it not only need all the investing in the new film, but also in a new processing infrastructure - much much too expensive
- a new Kodachrome and processing would be so expensive that nobody would use it.

I've used Kodachrome 64 in the past. It was good in the 80ies, but compared with current Provia 100F Provia is a league of its own, much much better and less expensive.
I don't miss K64. I enjoy the progress film technology has made with E6.

markjwyatt 02-19-2019 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skiff (Post 2870135)
Kodachrome will never come back (that was officially explained by Kodak). It makes no sense, because
- E6 films have surpassed Kodachrome in all technological aspects (resolution, fineness of grain, sharpness, color rendition, color stability under light) already in the 90ies
- E6 can easily be developed - both in big and small labs and at home
- Kodachrome needs a complete new processing infrastructure: it not only need all the investing in the new film, but also in a new processing infrastructure - much much too expensive
- a new Kodachrome and processing would be so expensive that nobody would use it.

I've used Kodachrome 64 in the past. It was good in the 80ies, but compared with current Provia 100F Provia is a league of its own, much much better and less expensive.
I don't miss K64. I enjoy the progress film technology has made with E6.

I would add that Kodachrome was the first successful commercial color film ever, and Kodak bent over backwards to make it work, make it beautiful, and to be the first. The process is very complicated and expensive to run. Once Kodak developed it, they kept on working on color films and came up with much less cumbersome chemistry. Kodachrome was beautiful, but since it was the first realization of a monumental effort to produce color film, it turned out to be much more complex then later products. Since the infrastructure was in place, they kept it going, but once shutdown, it has became dead for all practical purposes. Now that I said that, Kodak will probably announce restarting Kodachrome tomorrow...

telenous 02-19-2019 10:04

I am grateful for Provia 100, as I am for the new Ektachrome 100. Makes it possible to shoot wonderful slides. And it's a bit pointless to lament the passing of Kodachrome which, I agree, will never come back. And yet so hard not too. There's nothing as nice as Kodachrome 200. Glad I was lucky to have shot some.

.

Solinar 02-19-2019 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by css9450 (Post 2870125)
Plus-X or Verichrome Pan, but honestly I don't remember how those differed from each other.

Verichrome Pan had an emulsion coating was thicker than most of today's films. The emulsion contained mix grain sizes to provide for a wide exposure latitude - which was needed when using an old 620 or 120 roll film box camera, with a single speed shutter.

The bottom line with Verichrome Pan - one could achieve some really decent tonality when using a medium format camera with a decent lens and shutter.

Plus-X is very similar - essentially another an emulsion with mixed grain sizes. Hence, ............

davidnewtonguitars 02-19-2019 10:35

I shot PlusX back in the day, replaced by FP4+. I don't think I would switch back to PlusX unless it was worlds better, and near the same cost as FP4+. I don't expect either of those selling points, but I would surely give it a fair trial.

HHPhoto 02-19-2019 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnb (Post 2870041)
Thanks Jan. It would be nice if they get around to re-releasing Plus-X (personally I'd rather Panatomic-X but I think that's too small a market, having in the meanwhile become used to FP4+ and APX100 as Plus-X replacements).

You are welcome, Lynn.
Well, Plus-X:
I've found Adox CHS 100 II to be an excellent replacement for Plus X. It is even better because of better sharpness and higher resolution compared to Plus X. And CHS 100 II can also be reversal developed with oustanding results.

I think we will have good and exciting times with several new products in the coming years of the film revival.

Cheers, Jan

Beemermark 02-19-2019 11:56

I'm still shooting Plus-X. Last year I found an unopened 100 ft can in the attic. Long expired and subjected to 140F temperatures. I think was up there when moved into this house nine years before finding in a box of darkroom stuff. Amazingly still good.

I wish they would bring back Panatomic-X, I loved that stuff.

Steve M. 02-19-2019 11:57

Fuji has a questionable track record when it comes to supporting their own films, especially B&W films, so don't put all your eggs in their basket. Kodak on the other hand can be trusted, and they make Tri-X and T Max. That's all I would ever need.

littleearth 02-19-2019 12:20

I'd rather support Ilford and Kodak when it comes to B&W films.
I still hope that Fuji brings back Superia 200 and Reala 100 one day.
Fujifilm is finally marketing their films and rumour has it that they are up to something ! https://www.ishootfujifilm.com/

xayraa33 02-19-2019 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by css9450 (Post 2870125)
Plus-X or Verichrome Pan, but honestly I don't remember how those differed from each other.

Verichrome had a wider latitude because it was more likely to be used with simple box cameras and their limited control over shutter speeds and lens aperture setting.

The stuff would last for years unexposed or exposed in cameras without fogging, as befits an amateur specific film, where one roll of film might last four years in a Brownie camera whose owner made three exposures a year.

teddy 02-19-2019 13:07

Bring back Plus-X, Acros 100 or Neopan SS at least.
The doom sayers can't help themselves. Even a little bit.

jawarden 02-19-2019 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptpdprinter (Post 2870115)
Fujifilm's new marketing effort is a good step. Now if they would just stop discontinuing films. Not sure what films Kodak is considering reviving. Haven't heard much about the new Ektachrome since it's roll out. Has everyone now shot their one roll out of curiosity and gone back to whatever they were shooting before?

I prefer the new Ektachrome to Fuji products and when 120 comes out I'll stock up on that instead of Provia.

jawarden 02-19-2019 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHPhoto (Post 2870039)
Hi,

first a short disclaimer:
This post is only for friendly film shooters who are really interested in the ongoing use of this medium. This post is not for the doom-and-gloom preachers...:D.

Man how I would love to have Plus-X again. Fingers crossed. This is a great time to be a film shooter.

markjwyatt 02-19-2019 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleearth (Post 2870190)
I'd rather support Ilford and Kodak when it comes to B&W films.
I still hope that Fuji brings back Superia 200 and Reala 100 one day.
Fujifilm is finally marketing their films and rumour has it that they are up to something ! https://www.ishootfujifilm.com/

Since I restarted film last year (and mainly black and white), I have been trying a few different film types. Back in the day I mainly shot Plus-X and FP4 and VPS for color. Today I like Adox Silvermax, but do not see steady availability for it (hope that changes), plus it is only available in 35mm (ok most of the time). FP4 is still nice. I just loaded my first roll of Tri-X in decades, so we will see what comes of it. I am still not sure what I will do longer term, but it has been fun.

For color, I have shot a few rolls of Superia XTRA 400 recently, mainly as test rolls, but I actually like it. It has nice colors, good latitude, good speed, and fine grain. My general plan is to use digital for color, but occasionally film is fun for color.

ChipMcD 02-19-2019 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars (Post 2870146)
I shot PlusX back in the day, replaced by FP4+. I don't think I would switch back to PlusX unless it was worlds better, and near the same cost as FP4+. I don't expect either of those selling points, but I would surely give it a fair trial.

I agree on this. I shot a lot of Plus X when dinosaurs walked the earth. I shoot a lot of FP4+ now and like what I see from the FP4+ much better.

maigo 02-19-2019 15:03

Thanks for the info OP. I am satisfied to see the continued manufacturer support and broadening product offers from Kodak and, hopefully, Fuji.
I would like to see more format support - 127, 126 and APS-C. Or at least have the manufacturers sell cut film stock on those sizes to repackagers.

I wonder when the last new film was released by Ilford - must be more than 5 years ago.

HHPhoto 02-19-2019 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by maigo (Post 2870248)
Thanks for the info OP. I am satisfied to see the continued manufacturer support and broadening product offers from Kodak and, hopefully, Fuji.

You are welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maigo (Post 2870248)
I would like to see more format support - 127, 126 and APS-C.

Oh, these are really tiny "niche in the niche in the niche of a niche" products. Too low demand for the bigger manufacturers.
Perhaps possible for Film Ferrania in the future (at least 127 and 126), as they have some of the needed converting machinery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maigo (Post 2870248)
I wonder when the last new film was released by Ilford - must be more than 5 years ago.

That was Kentmere 100 and 400. In 2007, if I remember right. I don't expect new emulsions from Ilford, as they have a really complete film line without any significant gaps.

Cheers, Jan

Noserider 02-19-2019 15:50

Nice to see more people getting on the Plus-X revival. If we keep talking about it maybe they will listen.
Wide latitude not T-grain 'the best of the traditional Kodak Look' emulsion in a 125 or 100 speed in 35mm, 120 and 4x5. Make it responsive to traditional B&W developers *not just XTOL* and sell it cheaper in 100 ft rolls. Oh and if they price it at less than 3.00 a roll they will sell 2x as much as they think

gb hill 02-19-2019 15:57

Id love to see PlusX make a comeback. Kudos to Kodak for looking after film shooters.

markjwyatt 02-19-2019 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
I wonder when the last new film was released by Ilford - must be more than 5 years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHPhoto (Post 2870256)
...
That was Kentmere 100 and 400. In 2007, if I remember right. I don't expect new emulsions from Ilford, as they have a really complete film line without any significant gaps.

Cheers, Jan

How about Adox Silvermax in ~2012?

HHPhoto 02-19-2019 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by markjwyatt (Post 2870270)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
I wonder when the last new film was released by Ilford - must be more than 5 years ago.

How about Adox Silvermax in ~2012?

??
We are talking about Ilford emulsions. Adox Silvermax has absolutely nothing to do at all with Ilford.

Cheers, Jan

HHPhoto 02-19-2019 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noserider (Post 2870264)
Nice to see more people getting on the Plus-X revival. If we keep talking about it maybe they will listen.

Then you should contact them directly. I doubt that any leading Kodak staff is reading in such a small forum like ours here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noserider (Post 2870264)
Wide latitude not T-grain .....

From a technical point of view TMX and TMY-2 both have much better latitude and dynamic range compared to Plus-X. That is because of their linear characteristic curve. You have the information in the highlights, but you have use burning more often when you print to make the details visible.

Cheers, Jan

markjwyatt 02-19-2019 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHPhoto (Post 2870271)
??
We are talking about Ilford emulsions. Adox Silvermax has absolutely nothing to do at all with Ilford.

Cheers, Jan

Oops, missed that qualifier...

Mackinaw 02-19-2019 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipMcD (Post 2870239)
I agree on this. I shot a lot of Plus X when dinosaurs walked the earth. I shoot a lot of FP4+ now and like what I see from the FP4+ much better.

Yeah, but I bet if Kodak did reintroduce Plus-X, you'd try it.

Jim B.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.