Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Rolleiflex scratching film (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167524)

fadedpastels 01-31-2019 11:47

Rolleiflex scratching film

1 Attachment(s)
About a year ago I bought a Rolleiflex 2.8f for a decent price off ebay it had just been restored by Harry Fleenor at Oceanside Camera Repair. The problem I found after was that it scratches film along the right side of the frame I've tried cleaning the rollers and anything else the film might brush up against as it rolls on but I don't see anything with my naked eye does anyone have any suggestions on what to possibly look for before I look into sending it out to be serviced? The warranty from Harry Fleenor was not transferable to a new owner but it was such a deal I thought that I held on to it anyways hoping to fix the problem later on. Can anyone suggest a faster rolleiflex repair service as Oceanside Camera Repair would take months.

Huss 01-31-2019 12:10

r u sure it is the camera and not when the film is being developed?

fadedpastels 01-31-2019 12:19

It is definitely the camera I have other cameras from which the rolls come out fine as I self develop.

Dan Daniel 01-31-2019 12:30

Take a cotton swab (q-tip) and run it over all the possible surfaces. See if it snags.

Also sight the alignment of all the rollers. Any of them tilted? This can lead to stresses on the film, allowing it to ride against surfaces it might not usually touch.

Inside the lower back is a black lever on the wind side. This is part of the Automat mechanism. Play with this and make certain that the lower roller that you put the film through first is moving out of the way.

fadedpastels 01-31-2019 13:03

Thanks for all the suggestions I have tried before but no luck with the q-tip. one roller might possibly appear a little tilted? hard to tell though. I have never even noticed that lever before when I push it down the rollers go up and make a tight fit for the film is this how it should normally work?

Dpingr1 01-31-2019 13:10

Is the scratch definitely on the emulsion side? I had a Mamiya C330 that was giving me base scratches from a misaligned door/pressure plate.

fadedpastels 01-31-2019 13:32

Honestly I can't be 100% certain, But I believe so. I did wonder about the pressure plate but it seems normal.

VictorM. 01-31-2019 14:25

The marks look like an impression of the toothed wheel that engages and drives the film counter. It's located in the upper film chamber. But it should press against the backing paper. It seems like a lot of pressure would be needed to affect the film.

Abbazz 01-31-2019 14:34

Sorry to ask, but are you sure you load the film correctly by inserting the backing paper under the first metal roll (film feeler)?

It should look like this:

Credit: Markus Hartel

Cheers!

Abbazz

fadedpastels 01-31-2019 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorM. (Post 2865929)
The marks look like an impression of the toothed wheel that engages and drives the film counter. It's located in the upper film chamber. But it should press against the backing paper. It seems like a lot of pressure would be needed to affect the film.

I never thought of that although I feel like the marks are much more set in than where that wheel is located along the rim.

And yes Abbazz that is how I load it.

EdSawyer 02-01-2019 05:52

I thought toothed wheel also.

Sarcophilus Harrisii 02-01-2019 17:15

The pressure plate is set to 6x6? Rollers spinning freely? Back aligns flush with camera body?

Bill Clark 02-01-2019 18:05

Doesn’t the pressure plate apply/work on the paper side of the film?

Sarcophilus Harrisii 02-02-2019 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Clark (Post 2866188)
Doesn’t the pressure plate apply/work on the paper side of the film?

Yes, of course, but the first step in assessing any sort of camera malfunction is to establish if it is in sound basic condition and set up according to the maker's instructions. I'm not saying a pressure plate set to 35mm would necessarily result in scratches to the emulsion but it's not the point, (in the first instance). Because if it's not set to 6x6, it raises an issue for investigation. If it is correctly set it can be eliminated from the list of things to check—it's as simple as that. :)
Cheers
Brett

Ferdi 07-26-2019 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdSawyer (Post 2866065)
I thought toothed wheel also.

That wheel is closer to the edge of the film.