Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Leica M Film Cameras (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hoi An ancient town, Vietnam (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948)

kiemchacsu 05-01-2012 22:59

Hoi An ancient town, Vietnam
 
Hoi An is a World UNESCO Heritage Site, which has a very unique character. I've been there several time and it always makes me surprised and excited.

Some quote from Unesco site:
Quote:

Hoi An Ancient Town is an exceptionally well-preserved example of a South-East Asian trading port dating from the 15th to the 19th century. Its buildings and its street plan reflect the influences, both indigenous and foreign, that have combined to produce this unique heritage site.
I will put here photos taken from several trips, first set is very fresh from Apr 2012

#1

1204_38_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#2

1204_34_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#3

1204_20_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#4

1204_33_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#5

1204_15_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#6

1204_09_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#7

1204_37_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#8

1204_14_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#9

1204_12_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#10

1204_19_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#11

1204_25_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#12

1204_35_BW400CN by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

Critics are very welcome. Gears I used: Leica M6 | 35/2 Pre-ASPH | BW400CN

philipus 05-01-2012 23:11

Wow nice series. I particularly like #6 and #10.

Bill58 05-02-2012 00:12

Great job and better in B+W!

George Bonanno 05-02-2012 00:26

I got a bad haircut on Tran Phu before church service. I was not happy about that because I looked like a porcupine.

Rico 05-02-2012 01:11

Trung,

I always enjoy the depictions of your country. In spirit, I consider it my second home because of my adopted daughter.

froyd 05-02-2012 03:30

Interesting series, I particularly like #10. However, your exposure seems to either be off or the scanning of the negatives is lacking. The few times I've shot BW400 I found high contrast situations (like the ones in your photographs) somewhat challenging.

paulfish4570 05-02-2012 03:45

6 is killer. looking forward to more.

HuubL 05-02-2012 07:31

Been there two years ago. Lovely old city. Like your photos. Thanks!

shadowfox 05-02-2012 07:46

Lovely place, #9 and #10 are my faves.

jippiejee 05-02-2012 07:47

Would have been there this week, and have visited the Mekong Delta, but I'm in bed with high fever instead :( Enjoy your trip! I'll watch your pictures now instead of real travel... :( Keep shooting!

HuubL 05-02-2012 10:43

BTW, #6 and 7 are my favorites.

kiemchacsu 05-02-2012 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipus (Post 1870178)
Wow nice series. I particularly like #6 and #10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill58 (Post 1870201)
Great job and better in B+W!

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulfish4570 (Post 1870308)
6 is killer. looking forward to more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowfox (Post 1870480)
Lovely place, #9 and #10 are my faves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuubL (Post 1870464)
Been there two years ago. Lovely old city. Like your photos. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico (Post 1870219)
Trung,

I always enjoy the depictions of your country. In spirit, I consider it my second home because of my adopted daughter.

Thanks all you guys for seeing and comments!

Quote:

Originally Posted by froyd (Post 1870301)
Interesting series, I particularly like #10. However, your exposure seems to either be off or the scanning of the negatives is lacking. The few times I've shot BW400 I found high contrast situations (like the ones in your photographs) somewhat challenging.

I'm really understand your point, in fact I rated the film at ISO250 and quite like the results. I did adjust the level a bit to increase the contrast. BTW, I used an ORANGE filter and really like the effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jippiejee (Post 1870481)
Would have been there this week, and have visited the Mekong Delta, but I'm in bed with high fever instead :( Enjoy your trip! I'll watch your pictures now instead of real travel... :( Keep shooting!

Oh it's a pity the you couldn't make it. I ought be there later, a must go destination in Vietnam!

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bonanno (Post 1870204)
I got a bad haircut on Tran Phu before church service. I was not happy about that because I looked like a porcupine.

I am curious how you looked like, a picture might depict it better no? (if you don't mind of course!)

George Bonanno 05-02-2012 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiemchacsu (Post 1870908)
I am curious how you looked like, a picture might depict it better no? (if you don't mind of course!)

Of course not... here's a quickie scan from a cheap snapshot print.


kiemchacsu 05-03-2012 17:24

Some more color shots taken 2 years ago, Jan/2010

#13

08000023 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#14

08000022 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#15

08000019 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#16

08000018 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#17

08000017 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

Shot on Fuji cheapy Superia film with same above gears!

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bonanno (Post 1871007)
Of course not... here's a quickie scan from a cheap snapshot print.

Hey, I myself found it not bad at all, at least you had AN experience in Hoi An no? whether good or bad LOL

Contarama 05-03-2012 18:17

Who gets to drive the cars? Are there cars? And where are all of the fat people? :)

kiemchacsu 05-03-2012 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contarama (Post 1871649)
Who gets to drive the cars? Are there cars? And where are all of the fat people? :)

Cars are prohibited to enter the Protective neighborhood, and yes of course there are cars around!

I should have said that I took those pictures in early morning 5h30AM to avoid the CROWD during the whole day there. I would say that Hoi An is an very attractive destination for tourists!

About people, you are right. Local people there are slim. I don't know exactly the reasons, but we all Vietnamese are slim in general.

Trius 05-04-2012 13:52

Outstanding!

dave lackey 05-05-2012 15:24

Nicely done! Thanks for posting...it is remarkable how clean the streets, etc. appear with no trash or other debris lying around. I noticed a lady sweeping in one of them. Can I presume that the city does appear to be quite tidy?

kiemchacsu 05-05-2012 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave lackey
Nicely done! Thanks for posting...it is remarkable how clean the streets, etc. appear with no trash or other debris lying around. I noticed a lady sweeping in one of them. Can I presume that the city does appear to be quite tidy?

Yes, among several ancient towns in Vietnam, only Hoi An is an Unesco site heritage. It's not only Hoi An is a well preserved town but also people there still keep a somehow calm and slow lifestyle.

In addition, it's fair to emphasize the roll if the government there, very well done policy to keep the balance of tourism and the character of the city.

kiemchacsu 05-08-2012 02:24

Here is the last batch that I took 2 years ago, thanks for seeing and comments!

#18

Image42 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#19

Hoi An by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#20

Image30 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#21

Image39 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#22

Image37 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#23

Image34 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 21:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.