Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   The Seduction of a new camera Strap ... (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170063)

helenhill 11-24-2019 13:54

The Seduction of a new camera Strap ...

Alright call me Superficial for having to ask...
and a tad lazy to search

On my M6 I have a ‘Lance’ dark blue rope strap
I need another strap for Miss M9 who begs to be different than her older sibling

So post some ‘eye candy’ of your favorite strap

Thank You for playing with Me, wink,wink !

Paulbe 11-24-2019 14:56

Helen--do you have the original strap for the M9? Leica straps tend to be excellent...Good luck!
Paul

dtcls100 11-24-2019 15:08

Harry Benz Urushi Strap

I long to get this strap. Would look fabulous on a black rangefinder. I have three Harry Benz wrist straps and they are impeccably designed and finished. They are made of water buffalo leather, which really is much stronger and nicer than the nicest and fanciest cowhide. The straps start out a bit stiff, but become soft and pliable within about two weeks with use, while being highly resistant to scratches and scuffs.

Yokosuka_Mike 11-24-2019 15:17

Iíve been using leather straps made by Matin for several years
You can see several types here at their website.
http://shop2.matin88.cafe24.com/category/strap/56/

I prefer a flat strap to a rope. Here's a green Matin on my Bessa T.

All the best,
Mike

jsrockit 11-24-2019 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike (Post 2925785)
Here's a green Matin on my Bessa T.

Wow, sexy beast... ;)

Helen, what don't you like about the Lance? It is my preferred strap.

Deardorff38 11-24-2019 15:37

Helen, Another voice for Harry Benz. His waterbuffalo straps don't slip off the shoulder and they can be as discrete or as loud as you choose. Compared to similar straps, Harry uses very fine quality leather & the treatment of the edges is first class. https://www.harrybenz.com/
unnamed-14 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]\/url], on Flickr

Ko.Fe. 11-24-2019 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulbe (Post 2925782)
Helen--do you have the original strap for the M9? Leica straps tend to be excellent...Good luck!
Paul

Are you talking about nylon one with rubber bar?í It is was with new M-E.
I have it coming off from camera twice. Very bad quality and design.

DwF 11-24-2019 16:25

These are nicer in person than the picture shows because the quality and smell of the leather is there. On my M I have a simple black leather strap and I prefer about one that it's profile is thin and easy to pack away in a bag quickly. As you can tell this oic was taken before I went out in the filed with it.

I love this one pictured and also have one in black with blue stitching. Kenmore Camera in Seattle purchased a huge lot of them and had them on sale for about $40-50.00 Adorama also sold them.

Have fun shopping Helen.
David

1jz 11-24-2019 18:37

How brave are you feeling Helen? More subdued. Others.

The super slim type fits into the usual buckle size used on most old straps. I used the hardware from a Nikon F strap on my M3.
I avoid leather because it seems to be more prone to mold.

Paulbe 11-24-2019 18:40

Ko.Fe.--I'm not sure which strap came with the M9--but I've never had a Leica strap come loose. They are usually pretty safe...
Paul

Out to Lunch 11-24-2019 18:48

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...era_Strap.html Nothing fancy but very practical and durable. Super grippy, they don't tangle, and you can detach the camera in seconds. All that for $ 17. In black, tan and blue.

Ko.Fe. 11-24-2019 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulbe (Post 2925815)
Ko.Fe.--I'm not sure which strap came with the M9--but I've never had a Leica strap come loose. They are usually pretty safe...
Paul

https://youtu.be/ZzuwkR4jvK4

It is started to get disconnected from camera after it was re-installed by sales person in camera store.

First, I caught the camera on the way down to concrete floor. Second, M-E was on the way down to the glass table. I decided not to wait for third time and instaled normal rings.
Quality of nylon is crappy, still.

Camera straps which were with Bessa cameras are the true quality product, elegant and durable. I have one on M4-2.

Darthfeeble 11-24-2019 19:22

I have the adjustable Lance on my M9, I think the double row around my neck is more comfortable with the extra weight of the Leica. I use the single row on all my Fuji.

back alley 11-24-2019 19:22

i am a lance man...black and quick release for the most part though i have owned red and grey...round works so much better for me.
non adjustable and extra long.

maddoc 11-24-2019 19:42

I think it is a Lance strap and I have two of them now after using Artist&Artisan for a decade.

Huss 11-24-2019 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. (Post 2925818)
https://youtu.be/ZzuwkR4jvK4

It is started to get disconnected from camera after it was re-installed by sales person in camera store.

First, I caught the camera on the way down to concrete floor. Second, M-E was on the way down to the glass table. I decided not to wait for third time and instaled normal rings.
Quality of nylon is crappy, still.

Camera straps which were with Bessa cameras are the true quality product, elegant and durable. I have one on M4-2.

Quote from your youtube link:
“It’s a wonderful wonderful strap”

I feel the same way and have them on many Leicas, a Minolta XK and a Nikon F2AS.
Zero issues.

Huss 11-24-2019 20:20

R7s are so sexy!

wjlapier 11-24-2019 20:35

I think this is a M10 strap:

Longer than some.

edit: Got me to thinking about what type of strap it is. It's actually a Leica 18776 strap.

For a M9 Luigi's or Arte Di Mano would be my choice--I have a Arte Di Mano and it's one of my favorite.

kshapero 11-24-2019 20:45

An oldie but a goodie, as in a Gordy strap on my 262.

Archlich 11-24-2019 21:04

Crumpler Check strap.

These are affordable, good looking, breathable, machine washable, wide-ish (the pad), easy to install, extra easy to adjust from around the neck to cross body (assuming you're a 5'7" Asian like me). Very few of them around so less chance being mistaken as another rich Leica man - a big bonus!

charjohncarter 11-24-2019 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshapero (Post 2925832)
An oldie but a goodie, as in a Gordy strap on my 262.

His ads on RFF: https://gordyscamerastraps.com/

ktmrider 11-24-2019 22:14

Another vote for the Gordy model. I have one living on my M2 (combination wrist and shoulder strap) and lots of colors and other features available on order.

aizan 11-24-2019 22:15

1 Attachment(s)
The Artisan & Artist ACAM-280 is a simple, understated, well-made strap.

I would love a braided horsehair strap if I could find one. That's as fancy a strap as I'd buy.

robert blu 11-25-2019 01:53

A good thread Helen! Straps maybe are not essecial to make a good photo but can give an additional pleasure to the photographer :)

I have an addition for Gordy's straps: here one on my Bessa R

I have them as well on my Leicas but no photo, yet...

PS: by the way they are very ready to answer your mail if you have any question about the straps themselves ot the accessories.

Ricoh 11-25-2019 04:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulbe (Post 2925815)
Paul

If it's the same as the strap supplied by Leica for the M240, then I agree with Ko.Fe. Just by chance I noticed the D shaped 'ring' had disengaged with the plastic shroud and had started to disengage from the camera eyelet. Disaster averted.
Black Friday as a recent import to the UK (incidentally, what is Black Friday?) has me scanning camera straps and I've come across the COOP Lica-Rope so I might go ahead and leash the M240 good and proper.

wjlapier 11-25-2019 06:27

Just so you know the Cooph Leica strap is not supple like the A&A silk straps. In fact, it's very stiff.

rbiemer 11-25-2019 06:32

Helen,
I quite like Hyperion straps. Well made, not expensive, and a wide variety of colors available in both the strap and the binding.
I don't have any pictures to share, but see here:

https://www.hyperioncamerastraps.com/

I have three in use now and if/when I buy another camera, I'll happily get another Hyperion.

Rob

rbiemer 11-25-2019 06:39

I did remember posting a couple photos of Hyperion straps:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...6&postcount=91

Rob

JayC 11-25-2019 06:51

Peak Design Slide Lite. I just bought the bigger Slide for my DSLR, and really like it. You don't have to use the mounting plate to make a "sling" strap. You can use both strap eyelets and use it just like any other strap.
https://www.peakdesign.com/products/slide-lite

RichC 11-25-2019 06:57

This: the best camera strap I've owned!

PS: no connection with the business - I just really like their strap!

Godfrey 11-25-2019 07:09

Since I'm always taking the strap off and putting it back on my cameras, I've adopted the Peak Design Leash as my standard strap for all my cameras other than the Hasselblad 500CM. This means that all my cameras now have the Anchor pieces on the eyelets and I have two black Leashes that I fit whenever I want a strap.

The reason I don't use it with the Hasselblad is that the Hasselblad body and straps already have a superb quick release attachment mechanism and I have several original and aftermarket straps that work perfectly with it .. :) I wish more camera makers would put more attention into these things like Hasselblad did.

G

zuiko85 11-25-2019 07:51

I love the great variety found on this forum. I’ve learned more about straps in a couple of days than research would do in a week.
For myself, hate paying so much for straps, and so stay basic. Have a bunch of scrounged small thingys that secure the strap and bought 15 yards of 1/2 inch nylon webbing. I just cut to length needed and make them up as I have need.
Simple and cheap.

pabloko 11-25-2019 11:22

1 Attachment(s)
Hyperion Camera Strap for me too
Attachment 108928

ptpdprinter 11-25-2019 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by zuiko85 (Post 2925921)
For myself, hate paying so much for straps, and so stay basic.

One's approach depends on whether one sees a camera strap as something utilitarian or as a fashion accessory. I just use whatever came with the camera.

jsrockit 11-25-2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptpdprinter (Post 2925949)
One's approach depends on whether one sees a camera strap as something utilitarian or as a fashion accessory. I just use whatever came with the camera.

For me, it is a little bit of style, but it is also about comfort. If you use a neck strap, it should feel good on one`s neck since it really is one of two places the camera comes into contact with your body. Also, the ones that come with many cameras are basically advertisements for the camera. In some locales, that may not be the best idea.

ptpdprinter 11-25-2019 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsrockit (Post 2925955)
Also, the ones that come with many cameras are basically advertisements for the camera. In some locales, that may not be the best idea.

The straps that came with the cameras I purchased over the past 45 years have all been black nylon with a rubber shoulder pad - no advertisements.

jsrockit 11-25-2019 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptpdprinter (Post 2925957)
The straps that came with the cameras I purchased over the past 45 years have all been black nylon with a rubber shoulder pad - no advertisements.

Yeah, than no need to get something else... film cameras comes to mind. But DSLR straps tend to have the name of the company and the model of camera... in yellow or red! You know this though.

ptpdprinter 11-25-2019 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsrockit (Post 2925958)
Yeah, than no need to get something else... film cameras comes to mind. But DSLR straps tend to have the name of the company and the model of camera... in yellow or red! You know this though.

My Fuji XT2 came with a non-descript strap. What came with your X100?

jsrockit 11-25-2019 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptpdprinter (Post 2925959)
My Fuji XT2 came with a non-descript strap. What came with your X100?

True, Fuji does pretty well. I`m not a big accessory guy, but I do like a different strap. That`s about all I splurge on. Fuji does come with usable ones though.

pesphoto 11-25-2019 13:12

Does Gordy still make straps?