Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Leitz Tiltall Info Needed Quick (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167842)

B-9 03-08-2019 07:45

Leitz Tiltall Info Needed Quick

I was wondering if anyone could measure their old tiltall for me real quick?

I am buying one and have agreed to send a box to the seller who hasnít much experience shipping things.

I need a few dimensions:

Overall length collapsed with head straight.
Total width of legs and head w/o handles.
Any other relevant number you think I might need.

Ballpark numbers are fine!

The plan is to send a empty box with packing material to safely ship a black Leitz Tiltall Tripod.

mteresko 03-08-2019 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-9 (Post 2874022)
I was wondering if anyone could measure their old tiltall for me real quick?

I am buying one and have agreed to send a box to the seller who hasnít much experience shipping things.

I need a few dimensions:

Overall length collapsed with head straight.
Total width of legs and head w/o handles.
Any other relevant number you think I might need.

Ballpark numbers are fine!

The plan is to send a empty box with packing material to safely ship a black Leitz Tiltall Tripod.

Not a Leitz, but a Tiltall...
30" L
4" W not including all 4 knobs/handles

B-9 03-08-2019 08:52

Thank you!

I’ve got a box started 6x6x32

Should be perfect!

mteresko 03-08-2019 08:55

No problem! Great tripod btw...

B-9 03-08-2019 09:32

Wife said she would spoil me for my birthday if I could find one.

Came across one cheap enough on Facebook and after a few emails it’s waiting for a ride home to me lol.

Listed for 25$ It was a sweet deal, although I am positive I will have atleast that much into postage by the time I get it.

Rob-F 03-08-2019 09:44

Great tripod except for one thing. I had one and sold it because every time I handled it, my hands were black with the aluminum oxide that rubbed off. There is a black version, though, that I think would not have this problem. Or maybe it could be spray painted.

MikeL 03-08-2019 09:49

Still a good deal!

Great tripod. I have two that I use for research that have sat in the forest for multiple years. Still going strong.

B-9 03-08-2019 11:35

Pretty darn excited to have a Tiltall.

Planning to make a short column for it so I can mount a ball head. Planning to keep the original head for my telescopes. Specifically the old Tasco I beat around camp.

Noserider 03-08-2019 12:10

A little polish with car care products such as an aluminum polish will clean up the silver legs. The bonus nice part about the silver ones when polished is all the extra flare your Buddys will have when they try to photograph you.

B-9 03-08-2019 12:40

Here is the exact tripod. Hope the image link works. (Photo by seller)

Nokton48 03-08-2019 12:51

Great tripod. I have one.

Replacement parts are even available. (Or they used to be) from a guy in Colorado.

Easily worth 50 Bucks :)

Looks a little road beaten but it seems to be all there.

wes loder 03-08-2019 13:02

I wrapped my legs in heavy-duty cloth tape. Better for gripping and never had an issue with aluminum oxide coming off. Had it for over 50 years and still going strong.

rolfe 03-08-2019 13:06

You can get a headless column from this link:

http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/p...ent-parts.html

Rolfe

B-9 03-08-2019 13:11

Apparently my local home depot has a 4-pack of white rubber replacement feet for only 2$. This one appears to be a late leitz tiltall with the paper label and no hidden spikes in the feet :(

I am interested to see what the bottom of the leg looks like without the rubber cap and if I can make a set of spikes myself.

You can still get the handles from Freestyle. Although I think the black ones are sold out right now.

Ive got some of that foam pipe cover/insulation in a few different sizes. Will surely play around with some DIY leg wraps.

Edit: The headless column tiltall support blog sells is really not of interest to me. Ill just make one. Its pretty common 1 1/4 OD tubing from what I read.

Nokton48 03-08-2019 14:00

The famous architectural photographer, Julius Shulman, modified one to fit his 8x10 Sinar Norma. I have a few of these cameras
and this tripod will do the job.

Julius Shulman 8x10 Sinar Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

Notice the heavy metal plate he installed.

B-9 03-08-2019 14:11

Under the pad on the camera base is 4 screws and I can see it would be pretty easy to make a custom plate. Especially for a large camera like that!

Mostly I’ve seen the originals cut to allow access with smaller camera setups.

Cool stuff!

Nokton48 03-08-2019 14:34

Irving Penn made this. I will get around to making this sometime. Ingenious.

https://cornicello.com/itfigures/irving-penn

B-9 03-08-2019 14:38

Ive seen something like that using a frying pan as the bottom.

Laughing at myself right now as I tape on a 11$ Priority label to the empty box that will hold this silly thing.

Already quoted the postage for the return trip... 25$ Priority or 22$ Snail Mail.

So worst case, its a 58-61$ tripod. Still a fair price compared to the cheapest ebay sold prices (accounting for the postage as well).

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Wonder if we can have the name changed to "Tiltall of love"

Glenn2 03-08-2019 14:56

Looks good. Iíve had one for about half a century and used it to hold everything from Linhof 4x5 to a Questar 3.5Ē scope.

I occasionally use mine on sandy, salty beaches so made up a set of shoes from PVC pipe that slip over the bottom portion of the leg. They are held up with bungee cords and seem to work keeping damp sand out of the joints.

With long lenses on a DSLR Iíve been finding a gimbal head quite useful. Itís an Andoer head bought on Amazon.

Glenn

MrFujicaman 03-08-2019 15:37

Hmm

Dan, is there any way I can get you to email the photo of Irving Penn's setup to me?

If you check the "Gear" thread over at Large Format Photography Forum, you'll see the thread with how I made my version of this with a used disc brake rotor ( hey, it was free and I'm cheap!)

I got SO much crap from people over how I made it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokton48 (Post 2874099)
Irving Penn made this. I will get around to making this sometime. Ingenious.

irving-penn-rolleiflex by Nokton48, on Flickr

MrFujicaman 03-08-2019 15:49

tripod waders?

Can you post a picture of the "shoes"??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn2 (Post 2874103)
Looks good. Iíve had one for about half a century and used it to hold everything from Linhof 4x5 to a Questar 3.5Ē scope.

I occasionally use mine on sandy, salty beaches so made up a set of shoes from PVC pipe that slip over the bottom portion of the leg. They are held up with bungee cords and seem to work keeping damp sand out of the joints.

With long lenses on a DSLR Iíve been finding a gimbal head quite useful. Itís an Andoer head bought on Amazon.

Glenn

wes loder 03-08-2019 15:58

I have used mine to support the 20 pound 50cm Nikkor T with no problem.

B-9 03-08-2019 16:10

+1 on the sand shoes, would love to see those!

I’ve heard LF Forum is snob heaven.

I would not be discouraged, your time, your effort!

I was surprised how little crap I got over my Orange Leica.

It’s fun to hack and mod and paint. It’s also personal and joyous.

:D

PRJ 03-08-2019 20:42

I cut the head off of mine, right above the collar. Then I mounted a ballhead by using the top plate of a ballhead I had laying around. It was surprisingly easy to do. It is my most used tripod because it is just the right size. I still use my carbon fiber Gitzo for large format though but the Tiltall would easily hold it too.

The only downside to the Tiltall is you can't get loooow. But I guess Irving Penn knew that. Lol.

B-9 03-09-2019 14:42

Found this cool DIY for sand/snow shoes

https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...nowsand-shoes/

Graham Line 03-10-2019 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-9 (Post 2874064)
Pretty darn excited to have a Tiltall.

Planning to make a short column for it so I can mount a ball head. Planning to keep the original head for my telescopes. Specifically the old Tasco I beat around camp.

If you can find a shop with a carton of old tripod parts, there is a Gitzo head and column that slides right into the Tiltall. I use an Acratech head on mine.

MikeL 03-10-2019 09:16

Am I the only odd duck that prefers a Tiltall-type head to a ballhead?

B-9 03-10-2019 09:31

I like 3-way heads, Bogen 3030 has been my go to for years, but I appreciate a Ball head with the small cameras.

B-9 03-18-2019 08:52

Tiltall arrived this morning.

What a BEAST! I love it. It’s actually tall enough without using center column. Perfect!

Road worn is a understatement... lol it’s got heavy wear in ever place possible including one of the small column knobs having a good bend to it. In desperate need of new feet and a thorough cleaning.... probably some paint too!

I’ve already got a set of rubber feet I’m going to mess around with on the lathe and see what comes of it. The same 3/4 white rubber tips found at Homedepot btw.

The final price breakdown:
10.50$ initial postage for sending box to seller
25.00$ listed price for tripod
24.95$ final postage for tripod getting to me
60.45$ TOTAL (+ 1.98$ for the new feet)

Ill call that a OK deal me and well worth it for the quality of leg.

Nokton48 07-28-2019 15:56

I just called McMaster Carr and ordered a 6x6" 1/8" thick brushed aluminum plate, for $12 plus shipping. I am going to cut that down, making a precise fitting head for my three Plaubel Makiflexes. The Makiflex bottom plate is 4"x 5 1/4".

I'll machine the aluminum plate to fit the Tiltall attachment. This will be sweet to use. It makes the tripod mounted Makiflex quite portable.

Makiflex Standard 125mm F3.2 GX680 Tiltall Tripod by Nokton48, on Flickr

Nokton48 07-28-2019 17:08

Bottom Makiflex Standard Tiltall Plate by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's the bottom of the Makiflex Standard. The "contacts" in the four corners support the camera.

That is why I want to build a custom plate for it.

B-9 09-21-2019 10:36

Dan, did you ever get around to machining up that custom plate?

I made some cheap and easy leg wraps for mine.

I also think I am ready to pop the head off and build one of those ground level rigs like you shared earlier in the thread.

Ronald M 09-21-2019 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob-F (Post 2874051)
Great tripod except for one thing. I had one and sold it because every time I handled it, my hands were black with the aluminum oxide that rubbed off. There is a black version, though, that I think would not have this problem. Or maybe it could be spray painted.

Try waxing it

B-9 09-21-2019 12:37

Mine was like that, still flakes here and there, I simply cleaned it well with dawn soap and then finished her off with a little Armor-All spray.

If you can mind “Moto-Black” I believe it’s called (no can handy ATM) that stuff really brings back the luster and does a good job of sealing it up.

I just noticed your tiltall looks like a Star-D model? I see you’ve thrown some repop knobs on it? Did not notice until now!

Nokton48 09-22-2019 11:15

Hey Devin,

Yes it's a StarD I had one back in the seventies. $25 at a camera show. The short knob was cracked off (still worked) so eventually bought a cheap replacement online. Real Tiltalls have come and gone around here. No shortage of tripods here.

Right now my favorite location tripod. Super Light but sturdy.

Not quite ready to dedicate the tripod to Makiflex only. Need a little thicker aluminum stock

B-9 09-22-2019 12:57

Absolutely love my Leitz.

Sure its the cheaper much later no spike foot paper label before the design sold to china model... but dang I love having a tripod that will get my camera to my eye without me bending over and that is without the need for a ton of center column.

Love at first setup.

I could take or leave the head itself. Mine sure needs a good clean and lube by now.
I just knocked it off the center column this weekend. Remove the screw-Heat-Beat.

With the help of my friend we have shaped up a acceptable head base/plate? out of plastic and some common hardware. Ill post photos tonight (possibly).

Next is to toss around the ground level thingy - I see you photo of Penns has left us? I still see it in google linked to this thread oddly?

rlouzan 09-22-2019 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Line (Post 2874374)
If you can find a shop with a carton of old tripod parts, there is a Gitzo head and column that slides right into the Tiltall. I use an Acratech head on mine.

Hi,
Would you happen to know the Gitzo modelo/ parts #
Thanks in avance,
RLouzan

Chriscrawfordphoto 09-22-2019 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeL (Post 2874379)
Am I the only odd duck that prefers a Tiltall-type head to a ballhead?

I despise ballheads. Damn near impossible to get precise camera positioning. I have a few pan-tilt heads, but now I use a geared head for everything.

B-9 09-22-2019 13:40

Gitzo 1317C

Other # may fit as well. Important part is 1 1/4 O.D. on the Column.

B-9 09-22-2019 13:42

Chris, Manfrotto 405 by chance? Trouble you for a personal recommendation?