PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to have some fun????

Byuphoto
08-15-2005, 19:06
Mycamera club came up with a way cool assignment. It is to take a disposable camera and take an entire roll from your vehicle window.
I thought if anyone was interested we could use 1 RF, 1 lens and 1 roll for the duration then post your best 4 photos. If anyone is interested you can sign up here and we could start next Sun. and run 2 weeks. It would give us a reason to beat the dog days of summer and take some photos.
I have decided to use my QL17 GIII and Tri-X

dcsang
08-15-2005, 19:09
heh.. I do this regularly - I think I see a lot of stuff from my car window - I wonder if it would be so bad to include folks who travel by bus or bike etc.

Cheers
Dave

ray_g
08-15-2005, 19:12
Sounds interesting. Might be easier/safer if I weren't the one driving (all the time). I'm in.

Byuphoto
08-15-2005, 19:24
I wonder if it would be so bad to include folks who travel by bus or bike etc.

sure any vehicle as long as you stop if you are driving

Chaser
08-15-2005, 19:29
awesome i am in i have actually started working on a project to do just this .....

Byuphoto
08-15-2005, 19:34
Ok the posting will be from Aug.21-Sept.4. More can join as they want. Let the drive-by shooting begin

jlw
08-15-2005, 20:14
Mycamera club came up with a way cool assignment. It is to take a disposable camera and take an entire roll from your vehicle window.

How about using a real camera and a disposable vehicle?

Byuphoto
08-15-2005, 20:18
most new ones are. Just like Bic's and watches. What ever happened fountain pens, zippo lighters and Victornox watches? oh that is another thread

Terence T
08-15-2005, 20:18
Im in, I'll limit my submissions to the first 36 frames on my R-D1. Do airplanes count? That's my other vehicle.

Wayne R. Scott
08-15-2005, 20:50
I'll play too.

wayne

jan normandale
08-15-2005, 21:14
Hi ByupPhoto

I'm in 'cause I have a funky Zeiss Ikonette which is one of the original 'crappy cameras' you just never know what you are going to get. I think I'll shoot from a TTC (Tronno Transit Commission) streetcar.

Jan

24x30
08-15-2005, 21:40
Sounds interressting. What is the limit to show the pics here, because the
problem for me will be to develop them in time?

/rudi

mattmills
08-16-2005, 01:25
I'm in. As I'm driving 8 hours from oklahoma to santa fe, i might as well have something to do...

Pherdinand
08-16-2005, 03:14
I hope this will not end with a mass accident of the RFF members and depletion of the rf forum itself ! Anyway, i did that several times from the bike and from the bus, although the bike one is, i can tell you, tricky (even with an autofocus camera).

Between aug21-sept 4 i will be having a long trip either by bus, car, or train, from hungary to central romania. In any case, i won't be driving so i am looking forward for photo opportunities.

Roman
08-16-2005, 03:32
Hmm, sounds good - going to Hungary in a week, and lateron to Croatia (to meet RFFer 'denishr'), maybe Nicole will drive (it's her jalopy, anyway), so I can shoot a bit of Puszta.
What's the deadline for posting those? I won't have time to do it before Sept. 8th (that's when we fly back from Copenhagen - do pics from planes count as well? ;))

Roman

PS: Pherdinand, central Romania - that's a place I wann go some time, too; hope you have a fine trip, I guess a lot of roads, etc. are still damaged from the floods.

Byuphoto
08-16-2005, 03:39
The pictures should be taken By Sept. and we should all postr by Oct. 1. How does that sound.

Pherdinand
08-16-2005, 03:46
PS: Pherdinand, central Romania - that's a place I wann go some time, too; hope you have a fine trip, I guess a lot of roads, etc. are still damaged from the floods.

Thanks Roman. I'm originally from there, the corner of transylvania; goin home to see my parents and some friends. For a few weeks at least. The floods were in fact in Moldavia, the eastern part of the country, a bit further east than my place. And earlier on the west, Banat (Temeswar region). We were spared there in the middle...

Hey I am flying to Budapest on monday evening...when are you there?:) I don;t know yet how long i stay; my sisters are there, and some friends.

Roman
08-16-2005, 03:50
Sorry, we are not going to Budapest this time, but to Tihany on Lake Balaton, where Nicole's family has a little holiday cottage; we're gonna be there from Monday till Sunday (and will probably visit Denis on Friday).

Rick, those deadlines sound good!

Roman

Skinny McGee
08-16-2005, 04:12
Im in.........................

jmilkins
08-16-2005, 04:33
Great idea!

I just looked at my 15mm gallery and realised that 50% of the images posted there are taken from a vintage car... that definitely makes the Heliar a "special purpose" lens! ;)

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=4728

24x30
08-16-2005, 06:37
The pictures should be taken By Sept. and we should all postr by Oct. 1. How does that sound.
sounds great ... going for a few days to switzerland. Starting with shots from the car and ending with shots from cable cars ( are this 'seilbahnen'?).

/rudi

dcsang
08-16-2005, 07:04
Ok the posting will be from Aug.21-Sept.4. More can join as they want. Let the drive-by shooting begin

Mike,

Sorry.. but which dates are we following here? :)

Thanks,
Dave

Byuphoto
08-16-2005, 11:18
Mike,

Sorry.. but which dates are we following here? :)

Thanks,
Dave
As some have expressed a desire for more time we will start shooting now but posting will begin Aug. 21 and run till Sept. 31. Then we will all comment on the photos/galleries in Oct..Remember only one camera, one lens and one roll of film for the entire time. All must be taken from inside/astride a means of conveyance. We will post the best 4 but if you want to post more put them in a gallery and give a link. I personally am using a 24 exp. roll and will post all my shots good or bad
I will start a new thread for the posts on Aug. 21.
This will be the sign-up thread. Any questions?

rover
08-16-2005, 11:35
I do this on occation. It is fun to do in the winter during a snow storm. Well, the photos are more interesting at least.

XAos
08-16-2005, 12:10
most new ones are. Just like Bic's and watches. What ever happened fountain pens, zippo lighters and Victornox watches? oh that is another thread

I can't tell you about the others but I can tell you about the Zippo. Being a hi-tech redneck, I decided that even if you dont smoke, fire is as handy a thing to keep in your pocket as a blade or screwdriver. They LEAK. if you dont smoke, you will leak the entire contents of your zippo out in your pants multiple times between uses. Not everything about the good ole days was all that good.

Do I have to throw the camera away after I shoot a roll of film?

BJ Bignell
08-16-2005, 12:25
Anyone want to have some fun????
I'm whole-heartedly opposed to fun. No fun shall be had here! :mad:

Just kidding, it sounds like a good project. I'm driving from Edmonton to Montreal next week so I'll have plenty of terrain along the way. I'm considering digging my pinhole camera up out of storage before I go, but I don't know if I should bother.

Byuphoto
08-16-2005, 12:37
I can tell you about the Zippo
Just a metaphor for our disposable age, I actually use a Victornox butane refillable. Disposable lives,marriages,cameras, cars, jobs, razors everything is becoming one time use only. Can you see some of these digicams lasitng 20,30 or 40 years. The storage media alone will be outdated in 10 years.

Do I have to throw the camera away after I shoot a roll of film?
No but you have to throw the empty film container away ;-)

Pherdinand
08-16-2005, 12:41
Well, sometimes i DO feel like i should throw the camera away after i shoot a roll of film - and get the results - , but that's off-topic.

Kin Lau
08-16-2005, 12:43
Thanks Roman. I'm originally from there, the corner of transylvania; goin home to see my parents and some friends....
Hey I am flying to Budapest on monday evening...when are you there?:) I don;t know yet how long i stay; my sisters are there, and some friends.

Hmm... guy born in Transylvania flying at night... you don't sleep in a coffin also do you :D

The part about available light/night photography is just a guise isn't it :)

XAos
08-16-2005, 12:52
No but you have to throw the empty film container away ;-)

I dont even do that.

exaktamoment
08-16-2005, 12:58
I'm in. I will use my FED-2 with Industar-26m and TRI-X. Furthermore, I will shoot the 'sunny-f16' rule with the lens set at the hyperfocal. I will only adjust the shutter speed to account for the changes in the light. I might use my DeJUR handheld light meter in less-than-optimally-lit situations, but for the most part, exposures will be a guess.

Lou

Little Prince
08-16-2005, 13:17
Hmm... guy born in Transylvania flying at night... you don't sleep in a coffin also do you :D

The part about available light/night photography is just a guise isn't it :)

Heh Heh ;) . Exactly my thoughts. I'm sure we're going to see get togethers proposed in the easter Europe region sometime or other. Probably at a late hour? Roman is a marked man :p

Well, sometimes i DO feel like i should throw the camera away after i shoot a roll of film - and get the results - , but that's off-topic.

Me... I mostly feel like throwing the results away!

Roman
08-16-2005, 13:19
Well, in that case, if such a meeting gets off the ground, I'll bring lots of garlic... ;)

Roman

reagan
08-16-2005, 13:27
sign me up .... :cool:

and for those of you who wisely choose to throw your cameras away afterwards, please do not dispose of them improperly. Many cameras are embedded with dangerous icky foo-foo chemicals that kill the ozone and turn your shutter finger yellow. They should always be taken to a USA GOV FBI USDA HBO Approved RF Graveyard. There happens to be one near my home, so just PM me and I'll be glad to take care of it for you. (And for safety's sake, please leave the lens attached.) It's the least I can do to help save our environment. And byuphoto did mention the part about using your very best camera for this project, right?

RayPA
08-16-2005, 13:27
I'm always doing this, but I'm in under the guidelines/restrictions: 1 camera, 1 lens, 1 roll. :) With positng starting August 21. :)

Stephanie Brim
08-16-2005, 14:00
I'm so in. Considering the fact that I'm still learning with the P, I'm going to do it twice, though...once for each of the two weeks. I'll use the Canon P one week and the Canonet 28 another. If you guys want me to stick with the one camera thing, I can post photos from one of them. :)

Byuphoto
08-16-2005, 14:04
Both is fine Steph. I jus meant when you put a roll in stick with that film/lens/camera combo till it is finished. Makes it even for fixed lens cameras. This is going to be a blast
Ok where is Joe Friday, Backalley, GeneW and a few others.

Byuphoto
08-16-2005, 14:14
according to my count we have 23 signed up
Byuphoto
dcsang
Ray_G
chaser
jlw
Terence T
Wayns Scott
jan normandale
24x30
mattmills
Pherdinand
Roman
Skinny McGee
jmilkins
Rover
XAos
BJ Bignell
exactamoment
Little Prince
CVBLZ4
RayPa
Stephanie Brim

Kin Lau
08-16-2005, 14:23
I'm in... the Oly XA seems to be the perfect candidate for this. Well suited for one handed operation too... I might even try a hand out the window while moving shot.

sbug
08-16-2005, 14:27
Add me to the list. I'll use my pre-CLA Ansco Karomat. Shutter is iffy and the focus ring is complete goo so I'll preset for hyperfocal and make only minor adjustments. Should be interesting.

according to my count we have 23 signed up
Byuphoto
dcsang
Ray_G
chaser
jlw
Terence T
Wayns Scott
jan normandale
24x30
mattmills
Pherdinand
Roman
Skinny McGee
jmilkins
Rover
XAos
BJ Bignell
exactamoment
Little Prince
CVBLZ4
RayPa
Stephanie Brim

Byuphoto
08-16-2005, 15:16
adding Kin Lau and sbug

CleverName
08-16-2005, 15:34
Add me, I wanna play!

XAos
08-16-2005, 15:55
I'm not clear on the dates. I was actually just making smart aleck comments, but you can count me in anyway. Can we not start until Aug 21, or just that the picture should have been taken before Sept 1st?

Byuphoto
08-16-2005, 15:59
OK we will start posting Aug 21 and it will run till sept. 31. After that we can comment and see who likes what. I will start a posting thread Aug 21. The photos should be taken starting now and not from old shots

jan normandale
08-16-2005, 20:33
Hi ByuPhoto

you should ask our esteemed moderator Joe to put a sticky on this thread until the end of October.

Jan

agoglanian
08-16-2005, 21:01
ooh i wanna play. maybe i can use my oly 35 rd finally! now to find the time to get out and have some fun shooting.

i might be tempted to shoot the r-d1 w/ my new 28mm ultron.. ( oh to have a 12mm heliar )

Heath
08-17-2005, 01:41
ok, count me in too. I will use my Zorki 4 with J-8 and some form of C-41 B&W (I don't develope my own yet so C-41 is the easiest for me). Most of my shots will be out of train windows. I may even shoots some of the train passengers.

Heath

Pherdinand
08-17-2005, 03:49
...i am not sure i will manage to develop AND scan AND post any shots till end of september.
But then, i am not sure of anything on these days...
I will do my best, anyway!:)

exaktamoment
08-17-2005, 12:47
I'm thinking that I'd rather shoot PLUS-X than TRI-X - otherwise I've got to find a Neutral Density that I don't have. I know it doesn't really make any difference, but it seems like if you're going to NOT do what you said you were going to do you should tell someone what the changes are going to be. So as to be straight.

Lou

CleverName
08-17-2005, 14:03
Question: Should this be done on a special trip, or is the idea more to document interesting things you see (or haven't yet noticed) during your normal commute?

Personally, I just recently bought a scooter to use for my primary transportation. I'm amazed at the difference between a scooter and a car. In my truck, I was isolated from my surroundings, but on a scooter I feel more like I'm really there. In the past week, I've seen more interesting things on my little 10 mile stretch of 21st St. than I have in the past 5 years of driving.
And yes, I will pull over before taking a picture from my scooter!

Socke
08-17-2005, 14:31
Ok, I'm in, too!

Don't know about the camera, yet.

Byuphoto
08-17-2005, 14:52
Question: Should this be done on a special trip, or is the idea more to document interesting things you see (or haven't yet noticed) during your normal commute?

Actually the original intent was to document your everyday commute, but as long as it is taken from a means of conveyance and with the original film/camera combo we wil allow it.

jan normandale
08-17-2005, 19:54

Personally, I just recently bought a scooter to use for my primary transportation. I'm amazed at the difference between a scooter and a car. In my truck, I was isolated from my surroundings, but on a scooter I feel more like I'm really there. In the past week, I've seen more interesting things on my little 10 mile stretch of 21st St. than I have in the past 5 years of driving.
And yes, I will pull over before taking a picture from my scooter!

I've been on a scooter for a while. Watch out for the taxi's!
You can park anywhere or stop and shoot anywhere. I love mine.

Maybe we should have a 'scooter and shooter' as a take off of Rich Silfer's 'coffee and camera' thread ?

Jan

aizan
08-21-2005, 19:48
neat. i already do this. in fact, it's pretty much all i've been doing all semester. count me in!

ChrisN
08-21-2005, 22:58
Being a hi-tech redneck, I decided that even if you dont smoke, fire is as handy a thing to keep in your pocket as a blade or screwdriver. They LEAK. if you dont smoke, you will leak the entire contents of your zippo out in your pants multiple times between uses. Not everything about the good ole days was all that good.

Leaky Zippo? Easy fix: cut a section out of a bicycle inner tube, about an inch wide, and wrap it around the lighter over the join between the body and the cap. That stops the leak and the evaporation too. And no - I've never smoked!

Oh, and count me in, too!

bnjlosh
08-22-2005, 08:33
I'm in....

dostacos
08-22-2005, 10:26
I thought if anyone was interested we could use 1 RF, 1 lens and 1 roll for the duration then post your best 4 photos. If anyone is interested you can sign up here and we could start next Sun. and run 2 weeks. It would give us a reason to beat the dog days of summer and take some photos.
I have decided to use my QL17 GIII and Tri-X

WAIT!!!!! I don't have a bessa yet and I wanna play too:) make it longer......please

24x30
08-26-2005, 00:07
Huh, it's more difficult than I expected ... the ride to my office is pretty short and boring. And it's nearly impossible to use the photographer at 150km/h :D. And in the morning it's to dark for a shot. Next week I've to start a little later than normal, or going by bike.

And worse, my Ambi Silette got problems at speeds lower than 1/8 ... have to clean the shutter. (1/8 is more like 2 seconds)

Last month I were lucky and had some fog in the morning (6:00), during the bike ride to the office ... but this day I had a X700 with me. (http://24x30.de/image.php?page=159.11.01 http://24x30.de/image.php?page=159.13.01)

/rudi