PDA

View Full Version : Decisive Challenge 2010... the Results!

kdemas
12-13-2010, 16:47
Thank you to everyone who not only participated in the challenge but who also took the time to review all the images and cast their vote. Participation like this is what makes it so fun for all involved and I certainly hope everyone enjoyed the day as much as I did!

The Results.
Voting was fascinating in it's diversity of opinion, with 23 different images receiving votes. Great work everyone!

After carefully tabulating the results and confirming them with 5 major accounting firms here in the US (well, maybe just with my infant Golden Retriever) the results are officially in. Based on the voting that took place on RFF and LUF (3 points for 1st, 2 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd) the top three images are......

drum roll.............................................

1st Place: Portal by Kent Demas (kdemas on RFF & LUF)

2nd Place: Judgement Day by Kent Demas (kdemas on RFF & LUF)

3rd Place: Primary Target by Gail (Gail T. on RFF)

**Note: As the top two images were created by me I just want to invite anyone who would like to tabulate the results themselves to feel free. Please note I did not vote at all in the competition as I knew who the entrants were and I did not want to bias the results. I did include some very subtle subliminal marketing in the image presentations, including a micro-flashing sign that said "Vote for Me" on my images. I also flashed pictures of attractive young ladies/men (browser gender sensor) as my images appeared to make sure viewers were in a receptive mood.

Prizes!
Thank to a generous forum member and sponsor, we have some prizes!

Precision Camera, a new sponsor here on RFF, has come through with 3 terrific prizes for our November Decisive Challenge participants. My thanks go to Robert from Precision Camera and I certainly hope that everyone rewards him with a look at his fantastic services.

Please visit Precision Camera and learn about their specials for RFF members! (http://www.precision-camera.com/landing/)

The following applies to either 35mm or 120 film, your choice:

1st Prize: FREE Developing and High Res Scanning of 5 Rolls of C41 or E6 Film, a $60 value!

2nd Prize: FREE Developing and High Res Scanning of 3 Rolls of C41 or E6 Film, a $36 value!

3rd Prize: FREE Developing and High Res Scanning of 2 Rolls of C41 or E6 Film, a $24 value!

**Since there was a repeat winner in the top 3 I am going to give the 2nd place prize to the image in 3rd place and the 3rd prize to the 4th place image, which was "Man Descending Staircase" by John (J_Thompson on LUF).

I will PM the winners to let you know how you can redeem your prizes.

The Winning Images:

1st Place- Portal. KDemas, Leica M7, CZ C-Sonnar 50/1.5, Tri-X, Rodinol.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5259506854_4031ab0e5b_z_d.jpg

2nd Place- Judgement Day. KDemas, Leica M7, Perar Super Triplet 35mm, Tri-X, Rodinol.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5202/5258898841_ab960f66fe_z_d.jpg

3rd Place- Primary Target. Gail T. No shooting info provided.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5259508788_80124f40f7_d.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/kdemas#100021&view=mosaic&bgcolor=black&sel=4

paulfish4570
12-13-2010, 17:55
Huzzah for the winners!

ampguy
12-13-2010, 17:59
Congratulations!! Great photos Kent and Gail!!

Dave S.
12-13-2010, 18:24
Congratulations to the winners! Cheers to everyone who participated!

Thank You Kent (kdemas) for organizing this project!

Even though I didn't win, I really enjoyed participating. It really motivated me. I would wholeheartedly welcome more "Challenge" events in the future.

-Dave

kdemas
12-13-2010, 18:34
Dave,

It was a pleasure to have you participate and we'll make the event even bigger and better the next time around.

Happy shooting!

Kent

Congratulations to the winners! Cheers to everyone who participated!

Thank You Kent (kdemas) for organizing this project!

Even though I didn't win, I really enjoyed participating. It really motivated me. I would wholeheartedly welcome more "Challenge" events in the future.

-Dave

coelacanth
12-14-2010, 07:37
Congrats to the winners! And thank you for singlehandedly organizing the whole project, Kent. I hope I'll be able to participate next time, and maybe I can throw my iPhone case as a prize to contribute. ;)

RayPA
12-14-2010, 08:28
Seriously, great job on organizing the whole event, Kent. That's a nice gesture to spread the prizes out. Congrats to you, Gail, and John.

Would it be possible to see the names of the photographers for all the submitted photographs?

/

kdemas
12-14-2010, 08:51
Ray,

Thanks for the note. When I have a moment in the next day or so I will add the submitter forum name to each picture in the gallery. Good idea.

Kent

Warren T.
12-14-2010, 08:56
Ray,

"Gail T." is my wife :D. Kent suggested that I create a user id for her on RFF. I'm proud of how well she did in the Challenge. She has a good eye for composition.

Unfortunately, she has been razzing me mercilessly because she did better than me :rolleyes::bang::bang::bang:.

I told her that I might as well hang 'em up and retire from photoraphy now. :D

But seriously, she's very happy and inspired to go out and shoot more, and she's looking forward to future challenges.

--Warren

ampguy
12-14-2010, 08:58
Somehow when I first reviewed them, I don't think I saw Gail's. Otherwise, that would have been my first choice.

Something about that lady's facial expression and posture, and the context of the photo is definitely very French, in an HCB kind of way ...

Ray - did you submit??

Warren T.
12-14-2010, 09:02
Somehow when I first reviewed them, I don't think I saw Gail's. Otherwise, that would have been my first choice.

Something about that lady's facial expression and posture, and the context of the photo is definitely very French, in an HCB kind of way ...

Ray - did you submit??

I was with Gail when she took a series of shots from that spot. I walked away so that Gail could work that scene alone, because I don't think that as a guy, I could have gotten away with making this picture. I think the women would have been more inhibited if I were shooting them instead of Gail.

--Warren

RayPA
12-14-2010, 09:03
Ray,

"Gail T." is my wife :D. Kent suggested that I create a user id for her on RFF. I'm proud of how well she did in the Challenge. She has a good eye for composition.

Unfortunately, she has been razzing mercilessly because she did better than me :rolleyes::bang::bang::bang:.

--Warren

I'm sorry to tell you this Warren, but most likely, you will NEVER hear the end of it. :p

@Ted: No, I did not get my negatives processed and scanned in time, which is fine, because I really wasn't pleased with anything I shot that day.

/

kdemas
12-15-2010, 13:17
All,

I added the appropriate forum member name to each submission and they can be seen here. The first four finishers are in order, the rest are random. If I made a mistake on anyone's caption please let me know.

Enjoy :)

Kent

View Decisive Challenge Entries with Forum Names Included. (http://gallery.me.com/kdemas#100021/Portal&bgcolor=black)

ItsReallyDarren
12-15-2010, 13:25
Congratulations to the winners! The photos came out great.

Honus
12-15-2010, 13:46
Thanks again Kent for organizing this. I was waiting to see who shot "Safe skate ring" and I see that it was Darren. Compare it with my "Untitled #1". It clearly must have been a decisive moment because we both chose it :D.

I remember Sug, Donald and Darren standing nearby when I was at the rink, but I didn't know who took the other shot. They were almost taken simultaneously.

kdemas
12-15-2010, 14:03
Robert,

I get a kick out of looking at those 2 pictures. Though obviously almost the same moment the tonality and treatment are quite different. Very interesting.

Fun stuff.

Kent

Thanks again Kent for organizing this. I was waiting to see who shot "Safe skate ring" and I see that it was Darren. Compare it with my "Untitled #1". It clearly must have been a decisive moment because we both chose it :D.

I remember Sug, Donald and Darren standing nearby when I was at the rink, but I didn't know who took the other shot. They were almost taken simultaneously.

FrozenInTime
12-15-2010, 19:53
Kent, congratulations on the top two ; and to Gail for the other.
It turned out I voted for of you both and for Robert's "Untitled #1" all great photos.

I found it a really difficult competition, and completely failed to capture anything remotely decisive on the day; so really appreciate the skill and keen eye of the photographers who entered.