PDA

View Full Version : Konica S III review

Roger Hicks
11-22-2010, 23:53
...is now up, http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/konica%20sIII.html, complete with typo (yelloe for yellow in line 4 -- web-master aware).

Cheers,

R.

btgc
11-23-2010, 00:25
Konishiroku, umhm, Konica made some great cameras, including this. I think it's probably better than Konica Auto S and S2 models, tactile-wise, because of lack of AE mechanism under hood. I agree on tiny DOF scale, that's should have been planned as space saver, but I'd appreciate real thing on lens barrel - so better to see without awkwardly turning camera. But then one can learn to know current focus by position of focus tab.

Mablo
11-23-2010, 01:58
Thanks! a great review. I love to read about old rangefinders. I've never had a Konica RF myself but I think they produced some real gems, this one included.

ZorkiKat
11-23-2010, 04:41
Konishiroku, in the ads they placed in this camera's time, touted that theirs was the only RF camera whose framelines changed in size to reflect the change in field when the lens is focused at close distances. From a user-experience, does this really amount to anything significant, in terms of composing/framing, over the fixed-field frames of other viewfinders?

And btw, this Konica does look like the Seagull 205. Even the leatherette 'industrial' finish is the same. Now I know where Shanghai Camera Factory N.2 got their inspiration for the Seagull 205 from. I used to think that it was the Minolta.

paulfish4570
11-23-2010, 04:51
Roger, thank you for the review. I will save it. :)

Roger Hicks
11-23-2010, 06:45
Konishiroku, in the ads they placed in this camera's time, touted that theirs was the only RF camera whose framelines changed in size to reflect the change in field when the lens is focused at close distances. From a user-experience, does this really amount to anything significant, in terms of composing/framing, over the fixed-field frames of other viewfinders?

And btw, this Konica does look like the Seagull 205. Even the leatherette 'industrial' finish is the same. Now I know where Shanghai Camera Factory N.2 got their inspiration for the Seagull 205 from. I used to think that it was the Minolta.

Disputable. I don't think it's any worse, but like any RF except perhaps the Linhof Technika 70, it's all pretty approximate. Ask Paul his opinion!

Cheers,

R.

Ben Z
11-23-2010, 06:53
Nice review, brings back great memories. My first rangefinder was an Auto S1.6, which I bought after seeing the slides my cousin took with his Auto S2 (which actually had an f/1.8 lens) from his travels on the continent. It wasn't my first rangefinder (that was a Baldina) but the Konica got me started down the slippery slope of rangefinder GAS and made me "just have to have" a Leica. (Of course, like Lay's Potato Chips, you can't have just one :D)

oftheherd
11-26-2010, 07:50
Nice review Mr. Hicks. Thanks. I always enjoy reading your reviews and columns in Shutterbug.

raid
11-26-2010, 08:06
I don't have this model, but I enjoy using the Konica III and the III M a lot. They sport lenses that most likely are as good as the one oin the S III if not better. It can get confusing to tell apart the Auto S3, the S III, the III, the IIIA, and the III M.

Not to hijack Robert's thread, here is the RFF link to a short thread on my Konica cameras:

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46638

It helps see the differences between the S IIIand some other models.

paulfish4570
11-26-2010, 08:24
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/fish280/b%20and%20w%20beach%20K%20S%20III/3onbeachsized-1.jpg

S III, BW400CN, at sunset on Pensacola Beach. Typical of what the cameras is capable of ...

Ranchu
11-27-2010, 10:33
Beautiful picture, Paul. I really like the composition, so serene.

paulfish4570
11-27-2010, 10:34
Thank you very much.