PDA

View Full Version : Static electricity discharges

Roger Hicks
11-15-2010, 23:43
Anyone else ever have trouble with 'em? It's only ever happened to me once, about 30 years ago, with a Tessina. But it was impressive (see pic)!

Cheers,

R.

tj01
11-16-2010, 00:15
It's like Yeti, known to many, but rarely seen.

sevo
11-16-2010, 00:21
Great accident. I've only once had them in almost epidemic shape - but none falling as decoratively into the image. In my case probably a combination of something omitted in the production of a Ektachrome batch with the RZ67 motor drive spooling on faster than common for 120. But it seems to be a widespread issue in aerial photography, where it is quite common for the air humidity to drop to positively unhealthy levels.

Rob-F
11-16-2010, 00:28
That guy must have some kind of ion plasma drive.

I get static marks loading 120 film onto the stainless reels. They look like new-moon shapes.

Sparrow
11-16-2010, 00:35
It's like Yeti, known to many, but rarely seen.

what he said .... yetis also have a lot of trouble with reticulation, and refraction is an endless headache too

Roger Hicks
11-16-2010, 02:37
Great accident. I've only once had them in almost epidemic shape - but none falling as decoratively into the image. In my case probably a combination of something omitted in the production of a Ektachrome batch with the RZ67 motor drive spooling on faster than common for 120. But it seems to be a widespread issue in aerial photography, where it is quite common for the air humidity to drop to positively unhealthy levels.

I couldn't believe my luck! Once in 40+ years! The discharge is double-ended, and effectively symmetrical, but the other end (in the next 14x21mm frame) was nothing like as beautifully placed. It was, of course, a cold, dry day.

As for Rob-F, I'm pretty sure that what you are describing are not static marks, but stress or pressure marks from bending. They're quite easy to replicate.

Cheers,

R.

oftheherd
11-16-2010, 03:22
I couldn't believe my luck! Once in 40+ years! The discharge is double-ended, and effectively symmetrical, but the other end (in the next 14x21mm frame) was nothing like as beautifully placed. It was, of course, a cold, dry day.

As for Rob-F, I'm pretty sure that what you are describing are not static marks, but stress or pressure marks from bending. They're quite easy to replicate.

Cheers,

R.

Yep, I have had both. I think the last (maybe only) static discharge was in Korea in the 74-76 time frame. I got more careful after that. It seems most likely to occur when re-winding fast in very cold dry times.

Pressure marks I only got once also (at least on other than the reel end). I try to learn from my mistakes (and I have learned a lot).

Edward C. Zimmermann
11-16-2010, 03:46
Anyone else ever have trouble with 'em?
Like many problems they have been addressed by the film vendors. Some early polyester stocks were particularly "evil". Most modern films these days have on their bases an anti-static treatment.
It's only ever happened to me once, about 30 years ago, with a Tessina.A combination, I'd guess, of motor drive, plastic cartridges, the felt used and film without an anti-static..

Freakscene
11-16-2010, 03:49
One roll, in one camera (Nikon Fm2n), on a cold day in antarctica was badly struck (6 or 7 frames ruined). Never before or since.

Marty

Sparrow
11-16-2010, 04:09
Anyone else ever have trouble with 'em? It's only ever happened to me once, about 30 years ago, with a Tessina. But it was impressive (see pic)!

Cheers,

R.

Actually I don't think that is static, looks more like an early version of a Pink Floyd cover to me

http://www.cdmagic.co.uk/images/wish%20you%20were%20here.jpg (http://www.cdmagic.co.uk/images/wish%20you%20were%20here.jpg)

Nikkor AIS
11-16-2010, 16:57
http://rogaltacdesign.smugmug.com/Other/Early-Work/Mouth-Organ-1988-photoshop/841029155_fxw2v-L.jpg (http://rogaltacdesign.smugmug.com/Other/Early-Work/11862178_etGoA#841029155_fxw2v-A-LB)

Nikkor 300 2.8 IF-ED AIS on F2AS/MD2 motordrive, 25 ASA Tech Pan

While I haven't seen it in some time, static used to be quite common when using a motor drives in Alberta's dry climate. You can see the static discharge in the lower left-hand corner.

Mr_Flibble
01-12-2011, 07:21
I never had that kind of luck with static electricity and photography. Though I'm often victim of it myself on dry cold days.

Worst experience: Turning on a machine in the office and getting a massive static shock through my right hand, and spilling hot coffee over the other hand as a result. :(

sepiareverb
01-12-2011, 08:13
I had one roll of Tri-X covered in small static marks back in 1984 or so. Multiple frames, nearly the whole roll.

varjag
01-12-2011, 13:25
Looks like his jetpack malfunctioned!

Livesteamer
01-13-2011, 18:16
Only once, long ago. I got streaks along several negatives, similar to Rogers example. I rewound my M6 just as fast as I could and that caused the streaking. Another reason to like my M3 rewind knob. Joe