PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide "Decisive Challenge" November 14th - Join In!

kdemas
10-18-2010, 20:39
The First Annual “Decisive Challenge”.

With the Henri Cartier Bresson show making it’s way around the USA, the time is right for a challenge in honor of one of the more influential photographers of the 20th century. Join with fellow photographers from around the world to create a day where street shooting reigns supreme and a pillar of modern photography is remembered.

When: November 14th
Where: EVERYWHERE. The challenge itself is a worldwide challenge, open to anyone who wants to capture a “decisive moment” on November 14th. Let's see street work from around the world on one day, this day. If you happen to be local you can join the San Francisco group at the following location:
San Francisco- SF MOMA at 11 AM for “Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century”.

What’s this all about?
On November 14th you will head out into your local city, village or town and try to make HCB proud. Shoot with the spirit of the master and attempt to capture an image that reflects the type of style and subject matter that HCB was known for. Don’t forget to let your style show through, nobody likes a copy cat!

What are the rules? Not many.

This is not a limited “one lens, one camera” challenge, instead you can use whatever tool best works for you and take as many pictures as you like. HCB used the tools that were right for him, and if he was alive today he would do the same I am sure. It’s about the image and capturing the moment, use whatever allows you to do that.
All photos MUST BE TAKEN ON NOVEMBER 14th.
Please submit all photos in Black and White. Well, that’s a nod to HCB and his preferred medium.
You have ALL DAY to shoot so you can find the light and conditions that are right for you. It’s the honor system, so an image taken one minute too early or late should not be submitted.
Each participant can enter two, and only two, photos.

How do we submit our entries?

You will have until midnight on November 30th to submit your entries via email to: [email protected]
Submissions should be no more than 500k and measure no longer than 1000 pixels wide.
Each photo should include a Title and the submitters Real and Forum name, if you have one. Also please include the forum/site name you are a member of.
Pictures should not be shared anywhere before the contest. Anonymity is important for a nice fair vote later on.

Then what?
On December 2nd I will take all submitted photos and post them, in random order and with no names attached, to a site for review. Each photo will have a letter(letters) next to it and you will pick your top 3 and comment in the voting thread.

Voting will be open until midnight December 12th. Votes will be tallied and the winner will be announced December 15th.

Example where photo “x” is your favorite, “F” is your second choice and “A” is your 3rd favorite. You must make 3 selections or the votes will not be counted.:
X-1
F-2
A-3

Prizes...
Well beyond the obvious honor and thrill of winning this inaugural event we will work to find some token for each of the three top vote getters. Details will be posted at a later time regarding prizes but there will definitely be SOMETHING, at least something to bring about a chuckle at the very least. If you have an item you would like to donate for a prize please let me know!

**Note- This challenge is in no way connected to or in association with the Cartier-Bresson family, Foundation or Magnum Photo. This is merely a grass-roots contest in honor of a famous and well-respected photographer and man.

kzphoto
10-18-2010, 20:43
Sweet! Now I just need to decide which camera to bring...

paulfish4570
10-18-2010, 21:09
Hmmmmmmmmm. Interesting concept.

Soothsayerman
10-18-2010, 21:54
Cool idear!

kdemas
10-24-2010, 08:53
Three weeks from today!

Pickett Wilson
10-24-2010, 08:57
Sounds like fun!

gb hill
10-24-2010, 09:23
I always liked HCB. This should be fun!

jbielikowski
10-24-2010, 09:37
lets stick it somewhere to make it more visible on homepage.

kdemas
10-24-2010, 10:18
Excellent idea. I'll send a note to the head bartender :)

lets stick it somewhere to make it more visible on homepage.

ebino
10-24-2010, 10:25
I would like to know what does "decisive moment" means, what makes a moment decisive and another one indecisive?

This is a serious question.

Pickett Wilson
10-24-2010, 10:31
I just claim all of my photos are decisive. Who's going to know the difference? ;)

jbielikowski
10-24-2010, 10:33
"the decisive moment, it is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organization
of forms which gives that event its proper expression."

eddie1960
10-24-2010, 10:41
I'm in, now to decide where and with what to shoot (almost as hard as getting the shot itself)

ebino
10-24-2010, 10:43
"the decisive moment, it is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organization
of forms which gives that event its proper expression."

What exact fraction of a second, 1/3, 2/3, 1/5 etc?

What makes some events significant and others insignificant?

Is decisive and significant related or one leads to another, or one contains the other?

Sorry for being annoying, I'm just trying to learn.

ebino
10-24-2010, 10:47
I just claim all of my photos are decisive. Who's going to know the difference? ;)

now we're talking.

i will find an ad poster with some model picture or something. stand there and photograph people passing in front of it. the juxtaposition would be decisive and i could write a long essay about what makes some poor woman passing in front of an advertisement poster of a beautiful model 'significant'.

robbeiflex
10-24-2010, 10:50
Great idea, sounds like fun!

paulfish4570
10-24-2010, 11:23
You've got it, ebino.
The decisive moment is when the action, light, composition and shutter release, etc., come together in the same moment to capture the best photo possible.

kdemas
10-31-2010, 15:38
Two weeks until the challenge. I hope that we get participants from around the globe as I'd love to see street images from around the world.

Whether by yourself or with some local friends make your plans for a great day of shooting.

Kent

paulfish4570
10-31-2010, 15:48
I will have to go to an actual city - or at least a town - to make some "street" shots. Right now, in honor of HCB, I figure on shooting my FED-2/I-26 combo with Arista Premium 400, and replying in French to anyone who wants to know what I am doing ... :)

kdemas
10-31-2010, 22:18
Tres Bien Paul!

eddie1960
11-03-2010, 08:12
I will have to go to an actual city - or at least a town - to make some "street" shots. Right now, in honor of HCB, I figure on shooting my FED-2/I-26 combo with Arista Premium 400, and replying in French to anyone who wants to know what I am doing ... :)

Je remarque sur vous

lol

paulfish4570
11-03-2010, 09:04
Poor French spoken in an Alabama drawl: a terrible thing to hear. :)

kdemas
11-06-2010, 19:41
Hmmmm...time to start thinking about what to shoot that day!

mgeary
11-09-2010, 06:40
This sounds like a great challenge, count me in.

eddie1960
11-11-2010, 06:21
Poor French spoken in an Alabama drawl: a terrible thing to hear. :)

I speak very poor french with an anglo canadian accent, usually it prompts anyone i'm trying to communicate with in Paris to switch to English rather than listen to me butcher a beautiful language ;)

JoeV
11-11-2010, 11:12
What's the copyright policy wrt the images entered in this contest? I'd like to see that spelled out in writing.

~Joe

paulfish4570
11-11-2010, 11:17
I am thinking I may decide ahead of time the moment and place at which I decisively shoot ... :)

Jeicob
11-11-2010, 11:32
"If you want it, you get nothing" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfwNrPX2pvw

kdemas
11-11-2010, 18:06
What's the copyright policy wrt the images entered in this contest? I'd like to see that spelled out in writing.

~Joe

Images are the sole property of the individual that takes them. Use of the photos, in regards to this contest, is limited to indefinite display on the site where the contest will be posted as well as in the results thread here on RFF.

Very good question JoeyV... this is just a fun contest for photo enthusiasts, not an attempt to lift photos.

kdemas
11-12-2010, 23:51
I am thinking I may decide ahead of time the moment and place at which I decisively shoot ... :)

Paul...not a bad idea. Some pre-planned decisiveness :)

Ranger Copy
11-14-2010, 16:33
Well, I used a Olympus stylus and a Pentax Auto 110 today. But the real reason for getting out was this challenge. I purchased some kodak b&w and loaded my Konica EE matic RF. Sad moment when I and cocked the shutter. The lever jammed. I looked at the count and damn I hit the end. So I start the rewind process. It was like pulling nails out of concrete. Flabbergasted, I covered up the camera as best I could and opened the back, pulling the film to create slack and start to wind again. Still a tough go, but eventually got the job done. Now it's wait and see. Once the film was wound I was then able to snap the shutter and free the adance lever. Nothing seems the matter with the mechs but I wonder why the film was so tough to rewind.

paulfish4570
11-14-2010, 16:41
I ran some BW shots on my FED-2 with I-61 aboard, and some color on my Olympus Stylus 3.5. I am not sure how streetish they are out here in the country, but I decided to trip the shutters at just the right moments ... :)

paulfish4570
11-14-2010, 19:38
Oh ho, another "street" photo opportunity tonight at our local little grocery store, where there is a T-intersection of actual roads and a parking lot and lights and a stray cat on a bench talking to everyone who came to the ront door. She was meowing en francaise, aussi ...

paulfish4570
11-20-2010, 12:34
I e-mailed two pics to the proper address. Don't know if they got there ...

kdemas
11-22-2010, 06:40
A little over a week until the submission deadline. Please submit by following these direction (yes, it's easy!):

**Please attach your images to the email you send.

1. You will have until midnight on November 30th to submit your entries via email to: [email protected]
2. Submissions should be no more than 500k and measure no longer than 1000 pixels wide.
3. Each photo should include a Title and the submitters Real and Forum name, if you have one. Also please include the forum/site name you are a member of.
4. Pictures should not be shared anywhere before the contest. Anonymity is important for a nice fair vote later on.

kdemas
11-22-2010, 11:39
I e-mailed two pics to the proper address. Don't know if they got there ...

Sent a receipt confirmation today, thanks for entering! I'm stand developing my primary roll right now, not too confident that I'll have a keeper. Who knows though, there can always be a surprise!

Kent

paulfish4570
11-22-2010, 14:01
We like surprises. So did HCB. What did he call them? Happy accidents?

kdemas
11-28-2010, 08:28
Don't forget to share your Challenge Photos. Tuesday is fast approaching, send in your entries!

Here's how:

**Please attach your images to the email you send.

1. You will have until midnight on November 30th to submit your entries via email to: [email protected]
2. Submissions should be no more than 500k and measure no longer than 1000 pixels wide.
3. Each photo should include a Title and the submitters Real and Forum name, if you have one. Also please include the forum/site name you are a member of.
4. Pictures should not be shared anywhere before the contest. Anonymity is important for a nice fair vote later on.

mooge
11-28-2010, 08:58
oh snap! I do need to develop that roll!

:eek:

ampguy
11-28-2010, 09:33
wait, I think I won this already. Check the fcpc blog out.

kdemas
11-28-2010, 09:57
wait, I think I won this already. Check the fcpc blog out.

I need my decoder ring...fcpc?

ampguy
11-28-2010, 10:00
go here:

http://fpcf.blogspot.com/search/label/%22Project%20Nov.%202010%22

then search for "woman on a train"

Jeicob
11-28-2010, 13:58
How about this

ampguy
11-28-2010, 16:32
whoops!

How about this

kdemas
11-29-2010, 14:30
I wasn't going to say anything. I was hoping nobody read your post ;)

RayPA
11-29-2010, 22:09
Don't forget to share your Challenge Photos. Tuesday is fast approaching, send in your entries!

yeah, about that...:p. I just processed one of the rolls from that day today. It's in the dryer now. The negs look good, but not sure I'll get one in on time. Fingers crossed.

/

Warren T.
11-30-2010, 07:40
Kent, I sent my two entries in. I was wondering if I can send two on behalf of my wife who is not a member of any forums. She went out to shoot with me in the late afternoon that day.

--Warren

kdemas
11-30-2010, 08:02
Kent, I sent my two entries in. I was wondering if I can send two on behalf of my wife who is not a member of any forums. She went out to shoot with me in the late afternoon that day.

--Warren

Warren,

Absolutely. Send them in and may I suggest that you create an account for her here on RFF so she can see the voting and results. It also would be fun to be able to credit her as a member should one of her entries place.

Thanks!

Kent

kdemas
11-30-2010, 08:10
Ray,

Hope you can get your entries in. You've got until midnight tonight California time. Hey... for those in the East or overseas that gives you all a bit more time!

Kent

yeah, about that...:p. I just processed one of the rolls from that day today. It's in the dryer now. The negs look good, but not sure I'll get one in on time. Fingers crossed.

/

RayPA
12-03-2010, 14:02
So Kent, how is the top photo decided, most #1 votes, most votes overall? Is this like the Oakland mayoral race? :confused:

/

BTMarcais
12-03-2010, 22:30
( from the voting-only thread)
If you are using an iPad please use the following link to evaluate the entries:

http://homepage.mac.com/kdemas/challenge_iphoto/

The MobileMe site version (first link provided) does not make it easy to scroll the images on the right side. If you have voted and you used an iPad to review images I'd click the link above to make sure you didn't miss any favorites.

Another workaround for iPad users:
In addition to the solution above you can select an image on the page in question, then tap the large version of the image. You will be in a new interface with arrows at the bottom and you can view all the images from there.

Kent

Worthwhile checking out both the regular gallery and the ipad workaround- one is on a black background, and one is on white. Generally it doesn't matter much, but with a couple of photos I found it made a fairly big difference in how they read.

-Brian

kdemas
12-03-2010, 22:36
Ray,

It will be total points for each photo. 3 points for a #1 ranking, 2 for #2 and 1 for #3.

Brian- If I have time tomorrow I'll change the background in the alternate site to black, good idea :)

So Kent, how is the top photo decided, most #1 votes, most votes overall? Is this like the Oakland mayoral race? :confused:

/

BTMarcais
12-03-2010, 23:26
Kent- FWIW I liked MY photos better on the white. :) Maybe a grey?

-Brian

kdemas
12-04-2010, 07:30
Brian,

Well, I switched the alternate site to black per your original comment. On the primary site someone can actually switch the background of they're tricky and switch display types.

Kent

Kent- FWIW I liked MY photos better on the white. :) Maybe a grey?

-Brian

kdemas
12-04-2010, 07:32
REMINDER: Remember that everyone who participated should vote as well. I haven't seen too many votes from the shooting group.

If you do vote remember, you can't vote for your own work :)

Kent