PDA

View Full Version : Featured Photo

MP Guy
08-05-2005, 08:20
I am thinking of having a featured photo section on the forum. This would showcase a photograph taken by one of our members using a rangefinder camera. The photograph would rotate as other featured photos are presented. At the end of the year, an RFF calendar with the featured photos would be printed and made available. Do you like this idea?

Luf
08-05-2005, 08:28
YEs, i think it's a good idea. It give us the chance of looking another member work, wich is always good to learn something.

Luis

pendevour
08-05-2005, 08:45
Why not - lets give it a whirl.

FrankS
08-05-2005, 08:52
How would the featured photo be chosen? Randomly?

Sure, why not?

rover
08-05-2005, 08:54
I think this is an easy one.

Designer
08-05-2005, 08:59
Cool idea!! :)

Kin Lau
08-05-2005, 09:01
I love the featured photo idea, but I'm not wild about the calendar so I didn't vote.

MP Guy
08-05-2005, 11:07
I would pick the photo based on several factors.

Wayne R. Scott
08-05-2005, 12:12
Maybe this should be a "pin-up" calendar. We could have a featured photo each month of say a Leica M-3 one month then a Canon P, and of course my favorite one would be a Contax IIa.

Or we could post photos of attractive girls:)

Wayne

Brian Sweeney
08-05-2005, 13:32
Like the one on your Avatar.

Bertram2
08-05-2005, 16:49
I am thinking of having a featured photo section on the forum. This would showcase a photograph taken by one of our members using a rangefinder camera. The photograph would rotate as other featured photos are presented. At the end of the year, an RFF calendar with the featured photos would be printed and made available. Do you like this idea?

Good idea , Jorge ! Tho knowing that this is also a risk ( photo.net is a bad example) I'd appreciate more discussion about the pics.
The question is of course how the pics are selected and who shall do it but you could start a thread for suggestions ?

My 2 cents:
IMHO it needs a special effort to avoid all kind of manipulations or group wars, we all know what a damnage the rating issue caused at photo.net for example.

Maybe a periodically renewed ( 2 months ? )4-5 headed jury would work, selected , suggested and elected by the members. The jury itself then picks it's choice out of a selection which results from the members' pic suggestions ?

I'd keep all kind of ratings out of the game, these numbers suggest a kind of objectivity which does not really exist. :) Just let it be a personal and subjective thing and keep it all open and transparent.

Anonymity always opens the door to abuse. This would mean the final "pic of the month" has a list attached with all members who voted for it and with the votes of the jury.

Maybe this could avoid that ugly ( and childish) abuse we all know so well from other galleries.

Best,
Bertram

egpj
08-05-2005, 19:39
I like the featured photo idea and think it would make people really consider the quality of the images they post. As for the judging, jorge and the "moderator" (yeah, in the singular form) should do it. I would think that they see more of the images then anyone else and have the tools available for searching out the good shots.

SolaresLarrave
08-05-2005, 19:46
I believe in what egpj says. After all, the fact that we all acknowledge Jorge's ideas has maintained this forum in self-moderating mode. So, I do support the idea, and even though I know fully well my shots won't be featured, I'll buy the calendar too.

back alley
08-05-2005, 19:56
honestly, i'm not too keen on the idea.

i think contests based on a qualitative decision when it come to art is futile.

i realize this is not a contest per say but...it's too close for my comfort.

joe

Bertram2
08-06-2005, 03:08
[QUOTE=
i think contests based on a qualitative decision when it come to art is futile.

ijoe[/QUOTE]

Joe,

I think the first question we have to think about very carefully is what this featured photo shall stand for: Is it elected by the community itself, or is it the staff's choice, or the choice of a jury consisting of people who have proven their own skill. By shooting fine pictures i mean, not by talk :D

Each of these possibilities will have it's individual effect to the forum. And I agree, we should stay at opinions, any qualitative decisions are not only futile ( from a certain level of quality on at least) but they are really explosives too !

Doing the wrong thing here could end best case with a boring feature nobody really cares for, worst case it starts permanent wars and must be closed after a while.

Intentions and their effects should be well thought. It's not as easy as it looks at the first sight I'd say and IMHO if RFF does it it should do it better than all the other galleries who have failed already.

Regards,
Bertram

Richard Black
08-06-2005, 04:40
If we are not interested in participating in a "contest" or be featured on the calendar, would there be an option to not have the picture entered. Would there be a separate submission for those to be considered? I believe there is some reservation and concern about the impact of this on the good nature of this group.

oftheherd
08-06-2005, 06:17
How about instead of a "featured" photo, a moderator's (as in the queso grande) pick? I too am concerned about hurt feelings, and I have yet to post anything! If a featured photo, there is concern about what caused that to be chosen, whether by moderators, jury, vote, or whatever. I don't know that a moderator's pick is any safer, but somehow it seems so, or I wouldn't suggest it.

One thing I believe is that the majority of the regular posters here are quite mature and anxious to keep this forum civil. If we are only looking at what turned our moderator's eye, we only have to think about pleasing him. He can give use reasons for his pick or just leave it that out of a certain month's submissions, his pick was his pick. Given the quality of the submissions on this forum, I would gladly buy such a calendar. And given the quality of the submissions on this forum, I think all of us would realize that in any given month, there were manhy which could have been picked, but only one was.

My two cents.

back alley
08-06-2005, 06:30
an idea i've been kicking around in my soggy old noggin, is to have a rotation of member's pick. each month a member pick's one favourite shot.
members are chosen at random from a group that has already agreed to be entered into the pool.
it could be called 'member's favourite' or some such thing.

joe

RML
08-06-2005, 08:36
an idea i've been kicking around in my soggy old noggin, is to have a rotation of member's pick. each month a member pick's one favourite shot.
members are chosen at random from a group that has already agreed to be entered into the pool.
it could be called 'member's favourite' or some such thing.

joe

Now this I like.

I have the same objections as Joe when it comes to a "feature photo" but Joe's idea I like.

BJ Bignell
08-06-2005, 09:03
I don't know if I like either idea, but nothing is perfect... I think either is fine, as long as everybody understands that it's subjective, like the POW on photo.net: "...because the Elves think it is interesting..."