PDA

View Full Version : You can always buy another one...

Roger Hicks
09-11-2010, 04:17
...or sometimes you can't. Rare and desirable kit can go up so fast in price that a replacement is unaffordable (or at least, really hurts) and you may not get as good an example. Case in point: my 100/2,8 Planars, panelled for Linhof. One came in with an outfit; I sold it; realized I'd had some very good pictures from it; found another... and it wasn't as good.

Who else has had similar experiences? What with? And how much of it is in the eye of the beholder? The first was great because we'd never had one before; in the period we didn't have it, we began to overestimate its excellence; and the replacement was a disappointment. Again, who recognizes that one?

Actually, the same can be even more true of lesser cameras and lenses. You get a great ________ (doesn't matter what); get rid of it; decide to find another; and can't find another as good. Nowadays, if I like something first time around, and continue to use it, I keep it. What about you?

Cheers,

R.

Brian Sweeney
09-11-2010, 04:47
It took years and going through a lot of Jupiter-3's before finding one as good as a lens sold to an RFF member. Turns out that one was used in a Lab, and was coated for Near Infrared. Beyond pick of a litter. A 1953 J-3 with German glass eased the pain.

After that, sell a lens AFTER I have a replacement for it.

Krosya
09-11-2010, 04:58
Cant say I had this problem much. As brian says - it may apply more to Russian lenses. But every russian lens I had was actually very good. You hear these stories about some Canon RF lenses, even Cosina/Voigtlander current ones - due to sample variations. But, maybe I was lucky enough, but having had several samples of the same lens in many different brands - I can tell - all were good. This includes:
2 CV Ultrons 35/1.7
2 CV Nokton 50/1.5
4 CV Skopars 21/4 (2 M and 2 LTMs)
2 CV Heliars 75/2.5 black and chrome
2 CV Heliars 15/4.5 - M and LTM
2 M-Hexanons 28/2.8
2 M-Hexanons 90/2.8
3 M-Hexanons 50/2
2 Jupiter-9 85/2 ltms - black and chrome

All of these performed good to the point where I couldnt tell a difference in pics. Same goes for some cameras - all my Hexars, Bessas, Weltas, etc all performed well.

As far as - you can always buy another one - in my case - most are fairly availible still, but prices keep going up. Just look at CV Nokton 50/1.5 - not long ago it sold new for under $400 and now CQ charges $600 for it!

sanmich
09-11-2010, 05:00
agreed
I recently had a hard time to part from a very clean M3, that required lots of attention to get right, only because I knew that if I happen to want another one in the future, it will be tough to find.
At the end, it was so uncomfortable for me to see the 50 frame with my glasses, that I decided to do the reasonable thing and swapped it for an M6.

This has happened to me several times in the past, and for very good gear that is a bit scarce, I usually am more careful before selling (a canon 35 f/1.5 comes to mind)

Andy Kibber
09-11-2010, 05:01
After that, sell a lens AFTER I have a replacement for it.

Don't throw out dirty dishwater until you've got clean! :)

Vickko
09-11-2010, 05:03
Hahaha

Roger, you've hit the story of my life.

Recently, sold a Leica IIIg, in a push to get out of LTM and raise funds. Then, saw one here and bought it, because I couldn't stand being "LTM-less".

I'm learning to mostly never sell Leica lenses. Broke that rule recently, selling a 35/2 ASPH and 28/2 ASPH. But, I have lots of classical 35's that are great, and 28, well, it never appealed to me. Bought it only after getting the M8 and supposedly needed a lens that equated to 35mm.

I'm now hovering over my Nikon RF collection. I know a couple people already interested in a couple of the lenses. Interestingly enough, the only 28mm that I have is in Nikon RF.

....Vick

FrankS
09-11-2010, 08:04
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
J.M.

Roger Hicks
09-11-2010, 08:26
I've had at least three of my essential kit of lenses for the Nikon F over the last 35 years. At one time I got out of Nikon to use Canon (T-90's) and in a couple of years was back with Nikon. With most pieces for the Nikon F system there is no real shortage. Same is true for more contemporary Leica M save for pieces such as the 75 Summilux.

One lens I have that I would never sell as I doubt I would ever find another is the Hexanon 60/1.2 of which only 800 were made in 1999.

I am not interested in holding-on to kit I no longer use and would sell if I am certain I have permanently moved-on.

This is my issue at the moment. I had a change of life, actually a career change, when I retired as a newspaper PJ at the end of 2008. My Nikon kit was at one time an essential daily tool, now it sits idle but for a few days a year when I get an itch that can only be scratched with a SLR. I'm guessing that if ever I got rid of any of it I probably wouldn't replace it just because it wouldn't make sense, but somehow it seems logical to hold on to it, for now. It is all paid for and only costs me money when values drop for the digital bodies.

The difficult words are, "I am certain I have permanently moved-on." I've too often thought, "Oh, I won't need that again," and been wrong.

True about F bits mostly, though I wouldn't mind my 58/1,4 back: hence the original qualification about 'rare and desirable'. And as you say, once it's paid for, the £1000-2000 I might get for all my assorted Nikon gear is a lot less than I'd need to pay to replace even the bits I use occasionally.

Cheers,

R.

Gary Sandhu
09-11-2010, 08:26
Yes,
Stylus epic (gave mine to my father, bought two replacements);
Minolta tc-1 (first one used cost $300, broke it when it dropped-- second one NIB cost $1000);
35 cron asph, 90 elmarit; bought and sold as a kit along with an M7 and then bought individually for double their initial costs.
Nikon D50, D40x, and Leica M8 -- bought new, sold, and rebought used a year later for a lot cheaper!
None have disappointed.

Chris101
09-12-2010, 01:53
...or sometimes you can't. Rare and desirable kit can go up so fast in price that a replacement is unaffordable (or at least, really hurts) and you may not get as good an example. Case in point: my 100/2,8 Planars, panelled for Linhof. One came in with an outfit; I sold it; realized I'd had some very good pictures from it; found another... and it wasn't as good.

Who else has had similar experiences? What with? And how much of it is in the eye of the beholder? The first was great because we'd never had one before; in the period we didn't have it, we began to overestimate its excellence; and the replacement was a disappointment. Again, who recognizes that one?

Actually, the same can be even more true of lesser cameras and lenses. You get a great ________ (doesn't matter what); get rid of it; decide to find another; and can't find another as good. Nowadays, if I like something first time around, and continue to use it, I keep it. What about you?

Cheers,

R.

Oh yeah, but nothing that old so as i would not be able to get as good I hope, or better. And not like I got rid of it voluntarily - a lot of my early equipment was stolen in a 1984 burglary (0% recovered), and then again in a 2007 burglary that, while 90% recovered, did suffer considerable non-compensated/non-repairable damages. I tell ya, living in the ghetto is tough.

Here's the software (http://the-cbm-files.tripod.com/graphic-software/pdraw.txt) I had ready in 1982 on Commodore computers, awaiting the introduction of the Macintosh. My 68000 prototype hackintosh, as well as the particular disks (1540 format Commodore 64 68000 assembler/Motorola 68000 SBC format cross compliler - some Not Authorized by Apple - source and working object code (http://the-cbm-files.tripod.com/graphic-software/pdraw.sda) - requires a working - and no longer supported - C64 system and a massive reel-to-reel tape memory or equivalent (I tried to be as open as possible in 82-84 (when such things were very esoteric))) were all surreptitiously taken by parties unknown in early 1984. It was a "reel" monstrosity, and it did things no other software did.

:eek: And then it was gone ... and I couldn't buy another one.

Sparrow
09-12-2010, 02:36
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
J.M.

I think that was in the charts the last time I sold a lens ...

johannielscom
09-12-2010, 02:42
Yup.

Sold my D300 and lenses (including a DC-Nikkor 135/2.0!!!) to get an M8 :bang:

Sold a 1942 Leica IIIc with N-L engravings, TWO red curtains and even the original strap rings and a (probably original) 1941 Elmar 50/3.5 because I did not use it enough and wanted to fund something else. Simple patience would have sold that camera for 3 times the price.

Me stoopid:bang:

oftheherd
09-12-2010, 03:09
I need to get rid of stuff that is duplicated and not sufficiently different to warrant keeping it. However, I have not started yet. That would probably not include lenses as I am more careful there when I purchase. Cameras (bodies/P&S) have been a different story. sigh.

Michiel Fokkema
09-12-2010, 12:42
Only lens I realy regret, apart form the ones I sold too cheap, is the Helios 40. I used it a few times on a Cosina before I had a Canon dslr. Sold it and now that I have the Canon dslr and realise I could have used it on it, I want it back. But I know the IQ varies a lot among them, it took me 3 before I got a decent 85/2.0, and they are hardly offered.

CHeers,

Michiel Fokkema

markwatts
09-12-2010, 12:56
Am I strange? Once it is mine, even if second hand, it is mine. I never sell anything.

nobbylon
09-12-2010, 13:22
I regretted selling my first Summilux 50 however I've ended up with another better one. Same with Ultron 35.
I always have regrets selling M6's. Don't know why but I always end up getting another. I've just sold mine again to concentrate on A/F. I say now, that I won't get another but..........
Oh and I regret selling my 60mm Elmarit macro R lens.

sepiareverb
09-12-2010, 13:31
Right now I'm getting ready to sell the whole XPAN kit- been on the fence with that for a long time, but I just don't get much with it. I'm just not able to see with that frame. I know I'll regret it sometimes, but really I'll make better images with what I get from it.

raid
09-12-2010, 14:02
Life is too short to worry about selling a lens.

I sold a J-3 that was put together by Brian. It was very sharp. I shall not repeat this act. I sold my Hexar AF. Now I need such a camera. I have done many such sales of excellent equipment. Still, this simply allows me to get other equipment.

mynikonf2
09-12-2010, 14:59
I DON'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT! :bang:
:D

kermaier
09-12-2010, 16:35
I definitely regret selling my Canon FD 85/1.2 L and 24/1.4 L lenses. Who knew they'd get a second life in m4/3?

I sold a Type 2 'cron "Rigid" to get a Type 1, because I had trouble gripping the Type 2's focus ring. (I prefer the ridges on the peaks of the scalloped ring, rather than in the valleys. Same with some of the CV lenses.) The older lens is good, and in better condition than the one I sold, but it's not delivering the same magic. Imaginary? Probably.

And selling the M-Hex 50/1.2 was definitely a mistake.

Ari

Dogman
09-15-2010, 13:39
I regret selling most of the stuff I've ever sold. Right now, I have crates of stuff I don't use...probably will never use again. I hesitate to sell it, remembering all those past regrets. And, really, what is a bunch of beat-up film equipment and darkroom gear worth these days? Virtually nothing compared to what I originally paid for it. Virtually nothing compared to the value I received from it. I'll just hang on to this stuff and my survivors can haul it to the landfill, wondering what the hell anyone ever used all that stuff for.

maggieo
09-15-2010, 13:59
OK, that seals it: I am NEVER selling my stellar Jupiter-8.

amateriat
09-15-2010, 17:44
Am I strange? Once it is mine, even if second hand, it is mine. I never sell anything.
Depends on how much maneuvering it takes you to get from the dining table to the loo. ;)

- Barrett

amateriat
09-15-2010, 19:50
Regrets? I've had a few...

Stuff I sold too soon, for too little:

- Nikon F2 Titan & Olympus OM-3: I ghuess they weren't "classics" quite yet. (The OM-3T was still in production when I sold my non-T version.)

- Leica CL "50 Jahre." (Okay, it still doesn't get much love, right?)

- Olympus Zuiko 200mm f/2.8. Look at what the things go for now. Enough said.

On the other hand, I didn't hesitate to put together a two-body, three-lens Hexar RF system when I could buy the stuff brand-new, and locally, at that. Given what I paid for my 28, 50, and 90 M-Hex glass back then, I can only smile now. You lose some, you win some.

- Barrett

jan normandale
09-15-2010, 20:12
Sellers remorse? Never! Well maybe once. Then again.. a nice Yashica TLR, a Kiev 4am with three lenses, Canonet GIII QL 17, a Yashica Lynx CLA'd by Mark Hama, and ... I'm going back into my shell of denial now.

shadowfox
09-15-2010, 20:27
OK, that seals it: I am NEVER selling my stellar Jupiter-8.

+1

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/4987479585_289254bab3_z.jpg

Doug
09-15-2010, 21:46
"You can always buy another one..." Commodity gear. The buying gets chancy with older gear, which I figure will need service. All my older stuff has been serviced so that I'm confident of its reliability and correct function. If I sold it, then later faced re-buying, it would be discouraging to think I'd have to once again find a good technician to do the CLA or (often enough) unexpected repair.

So I tend not to sell stuff, and on the few occasions I've done so, the regrets are minimal. Good thought about selling only after the replacement has arrived and been vetted. Maybe I should sell some near-duplicates...

peterm1
09-16-2010, 00:23
I think we all have. But sometimes its necessary. I have just sold a beautiful Summicron DR in near mint condition because I am not using it much now and because I crave an M8 so I can begin shooting with a rangefinder once more, having moved almost totally to digital imaging. I know I will never find another DR Summicron in this condition and hate the thought that the M10 (or M11 or whatever) may be able to mount and use this lens driving their price sky high and out of my reach even in the unlikely event that I could find one. C'est la vie!

cmogi10
09-16-2010, 20:46
I miss my 90/2 Cron...
I foolishly sold it to Roland some time ago. Damn

drec
10-03-2010, 17:38
Oh yeah, I have had buyer's remorse several times. I had my nicest camera equipment when I was still unmarried, and was living off a very nice scholarship and teaching-assistantship in grad school. Everything was paid for, and I remember buying loads of equipment, trying it, sniffing that it wasn't good enough-- it wasn't me, it was the equipment's fault-- and sending it off, usually with a small loss/gain. This was around 2003.

At that time, I had bought a new 35/1.4 ASPH for $1300, which was the going rate at the time. It was my first 35mm focal length lens-- I had just used 50s. I took it out for a couple of rolls and said to myself, "I don't like it". I sold it to a Photonet Leica forum guy who still posts there; I hope it's doing well. I regret selling it because it's one of the 'grails', though when I think about it more, I don't because 35 has never been a length I like.

Now, the equipment that really sucked to sell: fast forward 2.5 years later; the scholarships have dried up; I've gone overtime with my master's degree; the thesis is 0.5y late. I needed to sell something to pay for my tuition fees. I had a Plaubel Makina 67 that was in excellent condition, that I had picked up for $600 because the seller had said that sometimes, it didn't wind (never had a problem with it). I sold it for twice that amount, and that just covered tuition. I miss that 6x7 negative and the 2.8 lens! And now, 67s in good shape are over $2000.

So, you can buy the gear again, if you put that to be one of your priorities. I'm a family man now; I have a wife and child, and a house; there are many people and other things that come before gear now.

But that M4-P is still there... and a KEH bargain Canon 50/1.4 LTM is on its way in the mail... the flame still flickers!

wlewisiii
10-03-2010, 18:06
I've bought and sold a whole lot over the years I've been here. Some things I miss, a couple of things (the FD kit I sold to get my IIIf) I'm slowly replacing.

Ironicly, perhaps, there is a Zeiss Ikonta 521/2 with "only" a Novar & Klio that I gave away some years back. I say "only" because it's the best 6x9 landscape camera I've ever used. That triplet was put together perfectly. I found it at St. Vinnies and it's had at least 3 owners that I know of since I gave it to someone who wanted to try a folder. Now it's in the mail on the way back to me, a gift from the last owner in exchange for a Jobo drum.

I don't think I'll let it get away a second time ;)

William

zx9
10-04-2010, 11:14
In about 1988 /89 I bought a very well used Pentax digit spot meter for about £100, a couple of years later I almost gave up photography altogether. Fast forward ten years or so and I started clearing out my by then long neglected toy box. The spot meter was one of the first items to list and sell on the bay, it sold for about £150. But during the week of that first listing I had cleaned and tested a Contax RTS ready for sale, yes I tested it by using it and along the way remembered just how much I had enjoyed photography. The urge to take photographs was back, and the Pentax sale had closed, I regretted that one even as I packed it for dispatch.