PDA

View Full Version : Who's for Arles 2011? 2010 report now up.

Roger Hicks
08-11-2010, 14:48
The Arles 2010 report is now up - http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/arles%202010.html - complete with magenta rhinoceros, guns, blasphemy, existentialism and a modest cross-section of the other things you usually find at Arles. I hope it will inspire more RFF members to be there in 2011. No dates yet but I'll post 'em as soon as I know. It'll be early July, as always.

Cheers,

R.

alun severn
08-12-2010, 09:25
Roger, A great write-up of Arles 2010. Thank you. It has confirmed for me that while Arles would probably kill my enthusiasm for photography, and would certainly destroy what remaining tolerance I have for fine art photography, through the eyes of a committed and tolerant observer who writes well it makes for damned funny armchair travel. Thanks -- I enjoyed it a lot.

Juan Valdenebro
08-12-2010, 10:00
Nice review, Roger! I think I'll go next time... I didn't know the weather was that hot!

Cheers,

Juan

gdmcclintock
08-12-2010, 12:42
Roger or Frances wrote, "Taryn Simon’s The Innocents was a series of big colour pictures of individuals who served time in prison for crimes they did not commit, an investigation into photography’s ability to blur identity, truth and fiction. One picture, of a man with his arm around his ‘victim’ (whom he had never assaulted) was especially moving."

Is the photograph moving as a photograph, or moving because the viewer knows the story behind the image? Is not the essence of photography to "blur identity, truth and fiction"? Has this not always been true of photography?

I am not trying to be flippant. Nor am I critical of Roger and Frances whose work I admire very much. It's just that all too often photography called "fine art" is based on concepts that are neither original nor particularly profound.

Roger Hicks
08-12-2010, 12:48
Roger or Frances wrote, "Taryn Simon’s The Innocents was a series of big colour pictures of individuals who served time in prison for crimes they did not commit, an investigation into photography’s ability to blur identity, truth and fiction. One picture, of a man with his arm around his ‘victim’ (whom he had never assaulted) was especially moving."

Is the photograph moving as a photograph, or moving because the viewer knows the story behind the image? Is not the essence of photography to "blur identity, truth and fiction"? Has this not always been true of photography?

I am not trying to be flippant. Nor am I critical of Roger and Frances whose work I admire very much. It's just that all too often photography called "fine art" is based on concepts that are neither original nor particularly profound.

Because you know the story. Otherwise it's little more a beautifully-executed snapshot of two people at the scheme of the crime. But then, all too much Fine Art photography is based on premises far weaker than this, and not executed anything like as well. Like the one about the women with her ex-husband and new lover, also reported. Or the eros of young Orthodox Jews.

Cheers,

R.

john neal
08-12-2010, 13:07
.......I hope it will inspire more RFF members to be there in 2011. No dates yet but I'll post 'em as soon as I know. It'll be early July, as always.

Cheers,

R.

Dear Roger,

I hope to be there - with luck, I will be starting a new job on 13th (!) Sept, so should have some moolah by then (hurrah!).

Look forward to seeing you next year :D

robert blu
08-21-2010, 11:44
Interesting report Roger, not sure if I agree on all the comments but this is one of the things which make photography so nice, different pictures for different tastes, at least in my opinion! Simo and me probably lost many interesting exhibitions (I found difficult to organize myself in a logic way, choosing this or that in advance) but it was a good time anyway. I shot 2 rolls of slides (fuji) and 9 rolls of KR64 (now anywhere on the way to USA!) most of the shot with the m7 . For sure if nothing bad happens we plan to go there next year, probably all the week. And why not to put some of our pictures under some stones...
ciao, robert & simo

paulfish4570
08-21-2010, 12:31
Wonderful report with excellent writing by Frances.
The door-knocker shot is my favorite of the bunch; it has punch ... :)

Charlie Lemay
08-21-2010, 13:13
Great review Roger. Wish I could have been there. Maybe next year.

Loved the door knocker.

JohnTF
11-12-2010, 16:01
Good read Roger, perhaps next year, -- J

Haigh
11-13-2010, 22:17
Thanks for a great read Roger.

Michiel Fokkema
11-14-2010, 15:23
I enjoyed it very much and hope I can make it next year again.
I also hope i have my pictures ready before the new year:-)

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Michiel Fokkema
01-15-2011, 08:43
It's ready?

http://michielfokkema.wordpress.com/2011/01/15/arles-2010/

I really hope I can visit this year again. It was great. Not in the least because I met Roger and Frances.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

robert blu
01-15-2011, 09:54
it seems dates are decided: arles 2011 (http://www.rencontres-arles.com/A09/C.aspx?VP3=CMS&ID=A09P1087).
Program should be ready next spring. I plan to be there, with wife, m7 and some photos!
robert
PS: nice colors in your pictures Michiel !

Michiel Fokkema
01-15-2011, 11:40
Great Robert,
We just decide we go, with my wife and youngest daughter. Probably arrive on sunday. Hope we can see you there.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

robklurfield
01-15-2011, 11:47
Roger, blush wine. I'm surprised. Nice report on the Arles. Wish I was there right now.

Michiel Fokkema
01-17-2011, 17:09
Yeeeahh, booked the hotel. We'll be there from Sunday till Friday. Hope to see you all there.

Cheers,
Michiel fokkema