PDA

View Full Version : Firmware updates

Roger Hicks
08-06-2010, 03:06
Do you install them immediately? Or when you get around to it? Or do you mean to install them, and not get around to it? Or do you read what they're supposed to do, and decide you probably don't need 'em anyway?

Cheers,

R.

sevo
08-06-2010, 03:18
I don't install anything any more that does not fix a bug which I experience or add a feature which I'll actually use (or have requested) - I've broken too many pieces of electronic hardware over "updates" that did not update anything for me...

Brian Sweeney
08-06-2010, 04:02
I read a description to see if it is worth the trouble, and then wait a couple of months to see if anyone else has trouble.

At work, I've written code to test new firmware updates while the developer writes them.

scottwallick
08-06-2010, 05:17
It usually takes me a few days before I can sit down with a fully charged battery and the ten minutes or so needed to update the firmware. So yes, first chance I have, I update the firmware. But the first chance is usually two or three days later.

user237428934
08-06-2010, 05:23
I look at the feature list and decide if a specific feature is a benefit for me. If yes, then I wait a few days and look for problem reports regarding this firmware update. When there are no general problems, I install it.

SteveM_NJ
08-06-2010, 05:32
+1 for waiting, (rarely to jump into upgrade, not directly to a 2digit release for sure)
(30 yrs of being in the software development/testing biz)
determining if it has new bugs that others experienced (those not waiting),
does the new feature set help me,
does the new upgrade fix prior bugs that can't be managed with a "work-around"
and most of all - can it be backed out.

then decide to upgrade.

user237428934
08-06-2010, 05:41
and most of all - can it be backed out.

You mean, that you can go back to a previous version? In most firmware updates (especially leica) you will find a disclaimer that you cannot go back.

SteveM_NJ
08-06-2010, 05:46
agreed that most can not back out.
that is why i wait to see if others have hit "major" bugs that can be hiding.
then i'd upgrade, when certain no hidden troubles.
(last upgrade i did was the R-D1 to R-D1S when many before me said "ok")

- but i think of these steps, considerations, can apply to any upgrades, cameras, computers, etc.

Bike Tourist
08-06-2010, 11:57
I just do it and get it over with. In over ten years, I've never had one mess up — Nikon, Canon or Sony — they all worked fine.

250swb
08-07-2010, 06:36
If you wait you have to read all the boring posts from other people about whether or not an update works. Life is to short to wait for some other idiot to find fault or give the thumbs up, so I just update as new firmware arrives.

Steve

rpsawin
08-07-2010, 11:07
I read a description to see if it is worth the trouble, and then wait a couple of months to see if anyone else has trouble.

Me too. I worked at a major software company in Redmond, WA. for awhile and learned the hard way to squash the urge to be an early adaptor. I kinda like the dust to setlle first.

Best regards,

Bob

alun severn
08-09-2010, 05:49
Apart from my iMac -- which gets updated as soon as I get a notification that new software is waiting -- I don't believe I possess anything that requires firmware upgrades. And certainly not a camera. In fact, I'm not even entirely clear what 'firmware' means.

I can't imagine what it must be like to have a camera that goes out of date...

Dogman
08-31-2010, 08:30
I'm not sure what "firmware" is either. But, if for some unexplained reason I actually find out about an update, I'll install it. Never had anything cause a problem--at least not one that couldn't be fixed easily.

polaski
09-23-2010, 10:37
I just plain plumb forget to check for updates.