PDA

View Full Version : Short rant. Two things that drive me nuts.

RichL
06-27-2010, 04:12
First is advertisements that refer to slip on filters as 'bayonet' filters particularly when they list bayonet filters (3 tabs to push into 3 detents ala Rollie TLR etc. ) as well.

Second is when they list Series IV or V or whatever filter adapters without listing what size they are adapting from.

Third (if Douglas Adams can have 6 books in a trilogy surely I'm allowed a 3 things in a duology) is when they list a close-up lens / proxar under filters as in "Filter #2 close-up

This all came about as I searched in vain for a #25 red 29.5 mm threaded filter or even a 32mm slip-on.

Considering that those are my worst complaints I have to admit life is really good.:)

Bike Tourist
06-27-2010, 04:28
The advertising world has never been a respecter of truth!

Looks like you pulled out of your funk all by yourself. :)

Brian Sweeney
06-27-2010, 04:56
The "Want to Buy" ads are free in our Classified Section.

They do not pop-up on the front -page, but some people might look at them.

I've ended up making my own filters, remounting glass from one to another. Even made a Series VI filter adapter for a Summitar out of an old Type A screw-in filter and wrong-size push on adapter.

As for the lack of ebay descriptions- If you can find an online description of the number codes. Who would have thought that a Tiffen 611 series VI adapter would fit a Summarit. Me...

JPD
06-27-2010, 06:06
This all came about as I searched in vain for a #25 red 29.5 mm threaded filter or even a 32mm slip-on.

What you are looking for is the Kodak filter FV/32. Their size is the outside diameter instead of the thread (which is 29,5mm). I recommend the Kodak filter, as you can leave it on when you close the camera.

Keep an eye on e*ay every day... There are two of them there now, but the seller is in the U.K. and the Buy It Now price is way too expensive.

RichL
06-27-2010, 06:52
Brian, Posting in wanted is a good idea. I look at them often enough so I'm not sure why I didn't think to post.

JPD thanks for the Kodak Part No.
With a bit of heat I was able to get a 35mm Ilford can to slip over the outer ring. I then cut it slightly longer than the ring and glued a series V (about 30mm dia.) filter to it. It works fine but for purely aesthetic reasons I prefer the screw in one. That they can remain on in the closed position is an added bonus.

JPD
06-27-2010, 07:43
JPD thanks for the Kodak Part No.
With a bit of heat I was able to get a 35mm Ilford can to slip over the outer ring. I then cut it slightly longer than the ring and glued a series V (about 30mm dia.) filter to it. It works fine but for purely aesthetic reasons I prefer the screw in one. That they can remain on in the closed position is an added bonus.

And it's possible to find them cheap. :) Take a look at this auction with a 1 Euro starting bid that ended with no bidders:

http://cgi.ebay.at/1-Filter-Kodak-rot-FV-32-1-5-7x-/370365698846

Btw, the codes for other Retina filters:

FI/32 = Light yellow
FII/32 = Medium Yellow
FIII/32 = Light green
FIV/32 = Orange

farlymac
07-25-2010, 19:55
There is an Ihagee 32mm slip-on red filter BIN on e-Bay with a leather case.

anu L ogy
07-25-2010, 20:40
This discussion would have been better discussed over breakfast at the restaurant at the end of the universe.

RichL
07-25-2010, 21:38
Speaking of which, filterfind.net has about any style size and color of filter desired. Sizes from 16 to 105 mm, series sizes 4 to nine and various bayonet and specialty styles. Caution! If you peruse the list while sipping a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster you may go cross eyed.