PDA

View Full Version : Value add

john neal
06-04-2010, 04:03
Dear Roger,

I was reading you piece in the AP, and it really struck a chord with me.

I know you haven't worked in an office for a good while, but it seems to me that, over the last 15 years or so, wherever I have worked this has become an essential part of everyone's existence - all those eager little beavers out there have to add their bit of "value"

Net result? You can't get anything done (well. not quickly, anyway)!

If only these eager to please people would bother to ask themselves if I really want that bit of value, I would be much happier and less stressed.

user237428934
06-04-2010, 04:20
What are you talking about? What piece in AP? If this is a discussion only between you and roger why not using PMs or the small-talk forum?

Roger Hicks
06-04-2010, 04:48
@ John: Thanks.

@ Tom: I've not seen this week's Amateur Photographer magazine yet, where I have a regular column on the back page on the first, second, fourth and where applicable fifth issue each month, but I think he's referring to my 'Value Added' piece, in which I suggest that people are so often eager to 'add value' by adding (often unnecessary) features that they can actually end up by subtracting value.

Thus, for example, the most recent Michelin atlas for Spain and Portugal has a thick section at the front of 'suggested itineraries', thereby making it bulkier and heavier (a major drawback for motorcycle touring) and more expensive (a drawback for those who will buy a guidebook if they want a guidebook, and an atlas if they want an atlas).

The parallels with some photographic equipment are not hard to draw.

It's a reasonable assumption that others will read/will have read the same piece, but I can see why you might find it irritating that John ignored the fact that many (especially outside the UK) will not read it/have read it.

Cheers,

R.

FrankS
06-04-2010, 04:57
Tom should also be aware that this is a Mentor subforum, where posters may direct questions, not to the general membership across the board, but to the specific mentor, which in this case is Roger. So, the question posed is quite appropriate here.

john neal
06-04-2010, 08:39
Tom,

Apologies if my note seemed a bit elliptical. I was trying to a) agree with Roger and b) invite further discussion

I'll remember about the PM option in future

Frank - thanks. Do you still have that Rolie 35s?

user237428934
06-04-2010, 08:56
Thanks Roger and FrankS for your explanations.