PDA

View Full Version : Around the wrist or neck?

BJ Bignell
07-12-2005, 19:44
For RF cameras, I'm definitely a convert to wrist straps. For my TLR, a neck strap still works best... What say you, guys and girls?

back alley
07-12-2005, 19:45
wrist straps for me also.

but no surprise there...

joe

FrankS
07-12-2005, 19:49
I like to have the choice, so I use a neckstrap and wrap it around my wrist 3 times if I want the camera in hand.

dominicLF
07-12-2005, 19:52
I don't have a wrist strap; I'd like to get one and try. Have any of you used a strap that screws into the tripod socket? I've got several cameras that don't have lugs and I positively hate neverready cases, or even half cases.

Honu-Hugger
07-12-2005, 19:53
Op/Tech system on everything. They sell accessory end straps that I put on each camera and then I have 6 or 8 Neoprene straps that I transfer to whatever cameras I'm using (also long teles, binoculars, etc.).

stet
07-12-2005, 19:55
Gordy's original wrist strap on the Canon, but I did just buy a neoprene neck strap for the Rapid Omega. The RO has a built-in "wrist-strap" around the grip, but I figured a comfy neck strap would come in handy because of the size/heft. First time out with it, it only seemed to get in the way. I took it off already.

rbiemer
07-12-2005, 20:48
For my smaller cameras, I like a wrist strap.
For the bigger ones an Op/Tech neck strap(TLR and Arax 60)
I want one or two of Gordy's wrist straps(maybe one more when he gets the tripod mounted style going).
Wide neck straps for me, thanks. But not the "hippy" ones(bad flashbacks, man :D )
Rob

ErnestoJL
07-12-2005, 20:50
A neck strap. Because I want allways to have my hands free when not holding the camera. I have only one camera with only one eyelet and itīs wrist strap is really unconfortable for me. For this one I use a regular neck strap with ends tied together.

Doug
07-12-2005, 21:13
Just got a couple of UPstraps and like them a lot. Some might use it as a neck strap, but for me it's a shoulder strap. Therefore I replied above "none of the above". :)

pvdhaar
07-12-2005, 21:23
Neck strap all the way.

You can sling a neckstrap around your wrist and make do, but you can't do it the other way round.

dominicLF
07-12-2005, 21:31
Neck strap all the way.

You can sling a neckstrap around your wrist and make do, but you can't do it the other way round.

O, come on. Just pull harder. My wife said that I couldn't fit in my jeans anymore. I showed her! :dance:

vincentbenoit
07-12-2005, 22:35
I don't use straps at all. I always hold the camera in my right hand, with focus, aperture and shutter speed preset so that I'm always ready for a quick grab shot. I've got a few nice ones this way that I would most certainly have missed had the camera been hanging around my neck or over my shoulder.
Cheers
Vincent

aizan
07-12-2005, 22:39
neck strap if i'm not taking a bag, wrist strap if i am.

Terence T
07-12-2005, 22:57
"None of the above" for me too. I usually shoot with 2 bodies so the neck straps double up as shoulder straps.

simonankor
07-13-2005, 01:46
I use neither, like Vincent. I pull the Bessa's advance lever out a bit, and hook my thumb behind it. Beyond that, I just try not to drop it! ;)

nomade
07-13-2005, 02:02
I had a neck strap but i used to wrap it around my hands, so it was a wrist one anyway, thee days i'm not using any, but if i was to get some new strap it's gonna be a wrist strap..

Pherdinand
07-13-2005, 02:09
I only have neck straps and no-straps. But the neck straps are only used in my neck with a TLR, the rest are shoulder-straps, and sometimes i carry cameras just in my left hand, Can do it for hours without problem. Like kiev, super ikonta.

berci
07-13-2005, 02:42
Sometimes I too carry my camera in one of my hands, but it's a heavy thing (1 kilo) so when I got fed up holding the brick i put it back into its bag.

I use the neck strap while shooting in case I dropped the camera for some reason.

Bill K.
07-13-2005, 04:28
I love Gordy's wrist strap for my Bessa R. I'm thinking of getting a couple more for some of my other "treasures"

Bill K.

the lobster
07-13-2005, 05:15
I switched from neck to wrist and then back to neck again in about 2 weeks.

I like the wrist strap, but then I need to carry my bag too, which I don't always want to do. When I go out with just my camera and a few rolls of film in my pocket, it's because I do not want to carry my bag. But if I do anything that requires two hands (like shop or get some food on the go), it's very difficult with a camera in one hand.

So I went back to the long strap, over one shoulder and under the opposite arm, so the camera lies against my left hip rather than my stomach. I leave it long so I can swing it up to my eye. Works great.

Of course, now I have a nice Luigi wrist strap that just sits in a drawer.

GeneW
07-13-2005, 05:26
I use both at the same time, on two different cameras of course -- especially if I use a wide-angle lens on one body and normal on the other. I tend to carry the wa combo by a wrist strap and have the normal around my neck as a secondary shooter.

Gene

Peter
07-13-2005, 06:07
I used to go with no strap but it is really tiring so I went lazy with neck strap.

Honu-Hugger
07-13-2005, 08:18
Whoops -- I missed the "technicalities" ;) I use neckstraps in whatever way seems fit. For whatever reason I'll have it either on my shoulder, over my neck, or just holding it gathered up in my hand. With more than one camera often one is short and the other long so they can both hang together -- I like versatility and it all depends upon the situation.

vincentbenoit
07-13-2005, 09:11
I use neither, like Vincent. I pull the Bessa's advance lever out a bit, and hook my thumb behind it. Beyond that, I just try not to drop it! ;)Hehe... I do the thumbs thing, too!
Cheers
Vincent

eric
07-13-2005, 09:30
None of the above, for some reason, straps always wind up in my pictures :)

cp_ste.croix
07-13-2005, 09:47
Thumb hook for the canonet, other than that, shoulder/neck strap for transport, arround the wrist when ready to shoot...

Biber
07-13-2005, 09:56
I use the neck strap from an R2 wrapped around my wrist.

TPPhotog
07-13-2005, 13:36
I'm another that always lands up with the neck strap wrapped around my wrist, so in the end I chopped it in half and have two wrist straps ;)

CleverName
07-13-2005, 14:48
I said Hippy strap just because nobody else did :D

I have a Hippy strap on my Topcon and my Canon FTb.

This was a tough question, because I only use neck straps, but I usually wrap them around my wrist when shooting.

BJ Bignell
07-13-2005, 14:54
I knew somebody would vote for Hippy straps, I just knew it! :D

ruben
07-13-2005, 16:12
For Henri Cartier Bresson preference go to:
http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/TreePf_MAG.aspx?Stat=Photographers_Portfolio&E=29YL53IQ1W7

Cheers,
Ruben

Doug
07-13-2005, 16:45
I don't even know what a hippy strap is... :(

GeneW
07-13-2005, 16:54
I don't even know what a hippy strap is... :(
It's a hippie strap with an odd spelling :D

Gene

cp_ste.croix
07-13-2005, 17:24
i have a hippie strap on my dad's old AE1 and i gotta say, when i was using it in h.s. i was so psyched...

Doug
07-13-2005, 17:47
So, what's a hippie strap?

back alley
07-13-2005, 18:10
a hippie or hippy strap?

a hippy strap is longer, made for us fat guys!

a hippie strap is kinda psychadelic (sp?) in colour & design.

joe

Jason_K
07-13-2005, 18:13
Domke Gripper neck strap - worn over a shoulder never around the neck.

CleverName
07-13-2005, 19:52
So, what's a hippie strap?

This is a hippie strap...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7530917323&category=64343&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Doug
07-13-2005, 20:57
Ok! Thanks, CleverName! :)

torhan
08-16-2005, 10:04
Sorry, can't answer the question. I'm always using my neck strap as a wrist strap - on every camera.

Apostata
08-16-2005, 10:18
Sorry, can't answer the question. I'm always using my neck strap as a wrist strap - on every camera.

Same here - I wrap it around my wrist/palm.

M

rover
08-16-2005, 10:32
Neck strap wrapped around my wrist.

peter_n
08-16-2005, 15:13
Me too!

back alley
08-16-2005, 15:37
i tried a wrist strap around my neck once and have been talking funny ever since...:)

joe

Kevin
08-16-2005, 15:48
My newest cross strap: a luigi wriststrap on the finder side with hand slipped through on the left and fingers into a sling attached on the other side. This arrangement forms a triangle below my hand when walking and keeps my fingers free of unnecessary weight and obligation to hold all entire weight of the camera (M6).

I have been doing it this way now for over a week and am VERY satisfied with the results: the camera is always in my hand, but that hand is also free to hold things and manouver without the camera dangling wildly close to hard surfaces. Also, I can shoot the camera with one hand at any height without problems.

If I were facing you with my arm hanging to my side, you might not see that an M6 is in its hand.

Try it someday soon. I love it.

richard_l
08-16-2005, 15:52
Neck strap around my neck, where neck straps are supposed to go. It provides good security for the camera while freeing up both hands for tasks such as changing filters and lenses or attaching the camera to a support. (The rangefinder is actually a very versatile precision photographic instrument, not just a snapshooter. Not everybody does casual street or journalistic type photography. For that I would much rather use a Contax G2 than a Leica M, or perhaps a high-quality fixed focal length P&S such as the Leica Minilux 40/2.4.)

Richard Black
08-16-2005, 15:59
:cool: I had an American Flag hippie strap on my favorite slr, fujica ST 701, alas stolen. I have another on a Rolleiflex, and neck straps on the other RFs and slrs. I don't have one on my p&s. I am seriously considering Gordy's strap to try it on a Vivitar 35ES. Ideas?

rover
08-16-2005, 16:16
Some day I am going to splurge on one of those braided leather Luigi straps. Very nice, but very expensive. A nice self birthday gift perhaps.

Kevin
08-16-2005, 16:22
Not everybody does casual street or journalistic type photography.

But everybody does, just not all of the time. You cant tell me you have never taken snapshots at a party or on a busy city street. That is photojournalism.

For some situations a neck strap is fine (wedding, hiking), for other situations a wrist strap is better (journalism, snapshots). And then you might have a camera in your coat pocket with no strap at all, which is perfect for another shooting context (winter, rain).

In addition to deciding which camera and film I take with me before going out of the house, I also consider the strap I want to have attached.

The wrist strap/sling combo is just a better wrist strap for me because it frees my hand up considerably.

rover
08-17-2005, 05:00
That looks good Kevin.

djon
08-17-2005, 06:46
I've hunted down a few old Canon FD neckstraps (skinny nylon) and cut them to a good length for my purposes.

My cameras usually hang behind my left shoulder, unless I'm carrying two..one would hang from neck. My strap's cut short , just long enough to allow me to bring the camera to my eye from my shoulder...sometimes hang it around my neck (eg to change film) or use it, twisted, as a wrist strap (not often...I rarely want grab shots). I've done this with 2 Ps, a Leica IIIC, and 2 Canon F1s. Hard to find those nice old Canon straps!

I like to keep my hands free.

Nikon Bob
08-17-2005, 08:03
Neck strap.

Bob

back alley
08-17-2005, 08:07
Some day I am going to splurge on one of those braided leather Luigi straps. Very nice, but very expensive. A nice self birthday gift perhaps.

i'd like one of his wrist straps except they say leicatime on them.

joe

BJ Bignell
08-17-2005, 08:12
Maybe you can special order without the stamp? I know Luigi hangs out at the photo.net Leica forum; in fact I saw him posting this morning. You could ask him directly.

There was a thread about his straps but it got deleted, 'cause the local pest there got under people's skin, and people started making unkind remarks, in Latin of all things.

BJ Bignell
08-17-2005, 08:15
Hmm, a little research has indicated that perhaps it wasn't the real Luigi... Sorry for the false alarm. Probably just the local pest masqeurading.

back alley
08-17-2005, 08:15
bj, that sounds like a suicide mission to me!

"hey guys, i know this is the leica forum but i'm wondering if i could get a luigi strap WITHOUT the word leica on it?"

i think i might hear more than latin...;)

joe

BJ Bignell
08-17-2005, 08:18
I suggest you try it. In fact, you should ask if you can get the Luigi with "CANON" in big letters. Don't specify that it's for the P, just let them assume the worst! :D

dexdog
08-17-2005, 08:50
Luigi's web site says that you can obtain a strap without the stamping if you prefer. I got a black one without the L-word on it, and it is a very nice wrist strap. Kinda expensive at $36, but it looks real nice on my Contax II.

Dexdog

back alley
08-17-2005, 09:18
thanks dex, i never noticed that when i looked.
i paid 37 american for the very nice wrist strap from photoequip. unfortunately it was a one time deal and they don't make them anymore.
but i like having different styles on all the smae camera...:) kinda strange maybe.

joe

dexdog
08-17-2005, 10:15
I also have one of these wrist straps, and they are pretty nice too.

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/prostrap_camera_strap_review

A nice quality leather strap with a stitched in nylon web at the end. It comes in several configurations (I got the one with the buckle). Nice and strong, and a good deal at $15. I currently have one of these on my Canon digital, and another on a IVSb.

narsuitus
08-28-2005, 10:29
Wrist straps routinely.

No straps when I am shooting on a tripod.

Neck/Shoulder straps when I am shooting with more than one camera and must quickly change from one to the other while on the move.

jaemyung_shim
08-29-2005, 01:03
I don't use strap for my cameras. I don't like anything extra dangling from the camera. So far I am OK without strap: I haven't dropped my camera due to lack of strap.

hoot
08-29-2005, 01:46
I like to have the choice, so I use a neckstrap and wrap it around my wrist 3 times if I want the camera in hand.

Ditto! In my case, the brown leather neck strap attached to the everready case. I wrap it so that it covers the area from my wrist to my elbow. Sort of like a Greek sandal. Sexy. :D

dostacos
09-04-2005, 16:25
neck, but since I walk with two forearm crutches a wrist strap kinda is no good :D

back alley
09-04-2005, 18:04
neck, but since I walk with two forearm crutches a wrist strap kinda is no good :D

i could see how that might be a problem.

;)joe

Richard Black
09-21-2005, 15:27
:cool: I received a Vivitar 35ES with a wrist strap and liked it. So I bought a black strap with red wrapping from Gordy and put it on the Bessa R, see the photos. I think I like it for RF cameras. Seems they are ready to use and the weight is not that great. The question now is right side or left? I never liked the position that the Bessa R hung with small or light lens, always tilted back.

yankeedoll
09-21-2005, 16:01
Ditto! In my case, the brown leather neck strap attached to the everready case. I wrap it so that it covers the area from my wrist to my elbow. Sort of like a Greek sandal. Sexy. :D

Ohhhhh...I'm too sexy for my strap, too sexy for my strapp........ :D

Gabriel M.A.
09-21-2005, 16:29
Whoops, clicked on the "incorrect" choice. Oh well.

Frank Granovski
10-26-2005, 02:10
A neck strap for sure. :D

elcud35rc
11-10-2005, 03:36
None of the above. I keep my camera in my jacket's interior pocket and bust it out for shots.

Alec
11-10-2005, 05:36
Finger strap all the time :
http://www.leicagoodies.com/sling.more.html

And sometimes shoulderstrap too, through this :
http://www.leicagoodies.com/lehook.html

(Totally free publicity, I just ordered another kit for my second body.)

Gerry M
11-10-2005, 07:00
A wrist strap from Gordy for my R2a and neck/shoulder straps for the heavies.

Richard Black
11-10-2005, 07:10
F/U Been using the Gordy strap on the Bessa R and must say, it is neat. It might be possible with a large pocket in a jacket to keep it handy all day.
Highly recommend it!

ClaremontPhoto
02-23-2006, 23:43
Shoulder most times.

darkkavenger
02-23-2006, 23:58
neck strap... waiting my wage to order a nice neck strap from Gordy :)

rover
02-24-2006, 05:32
You are showing your age, or actually youth MacCaulay.
;)

oftheherd
02-25-2006, 02:48
Neck strap for me. Forty to fifty years ago I didn't have any with straps at all, but they were all folders which would go in a pocket until needed. When I got back into photography 30+ years ago, it was with SLRs, all with cases and neck/shoulder straps. Just got used to it and it made sense. They sure didn't fit in pockets, so it was around the neck/shoulder or in a bag.

I still prefer having my hands free until the time I want to take a photo. I think that is my main reason for preferring neck/shoulder straps. Also if changing lenses or filters, I don't have to worry about dropping the camera, and can concentrate on the lenses/filters. It has gotten to be such a habit, along with the desire to have my hands free even when changing film, that I still prefer them for 35mm rangefinders too.

Certainly with my Super Press 23 I wouldn't consider a wrist strap ;)

Just me.

AGN
02-25-2006, 05:32
Poor mans Luigi.
I use a never ready case with the top whacked off. Offers some protection for the camera, and dosen't get in the way. (with neck strap)
Art

anglophone1
02-25-2006, 05:39
Usually work with two bodies , both with neck straps, only over shoulder[s], I wrap the strap around my wrist for the body I am shooting with and hold it in the right hand.[The only pic I have seen of HCB actually shooting shows him doing the same......................]
Clive

ps So i guess my vote is "depends" :D

amateriat
03-05-2006, 21:00
For Henri Cartier Bresson preference go to:
http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/TreePf_MAG.aspx?Stat=Photographers_Portfolio&E=29YL53IQ1W7

Funny how HCB is giving Dennis Stock the semi-evil-eye in that shot...

My selection falls under Some Of the Above: a very nice (and apparently rare) Konica wrist strap for my Auto S3; for my Hexar RFs, since I usually use them together, one has the neck strap in the usual position, while the other body has the same strap attached to the left lug (allowing the camera to hang nicely either off my shoulder or around my neck and under the shoulder; think of Tuco's gun lanyard in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) while the right lug has Lutz Konermann's wonderful SLING attached, which I can't say enough good things about. Takes right-handed camera handling to the next level.

- Barrett

steelheart
03-24-2006, 20:09
I have the same strap on all my cameras - Domke! :D

rovnguy
04-08-2006, 12:45
Neck and shoulder.

Michiel
04-13-2006, 09:33
I only use the leather version of this strap (Matin Hand Grip):

http://perlyinc.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=48

It is designed for slr-type camera's with a different grip but that doesn't matter. What I like most about it, is that the "behind the thumb" click-strap actually allows me to let go of the (heavy) camera, but still have much more control over it than a regular wrist-strap would.

The price listed on that website is $40. I got it for 600 TW$ (down from 800), that's I guess about 18 or 20 US$. I would not have bought it for $40, although I know now that it might actually be worth that much money.

The attached picture comes from the website I linked above (so you don't have to actually go there to find out what I'm talking about)

[edit]
I have just read this entire thread, and it seems I am the only one using not a wrist-strap but a hand-strap? I suppose that is kind of neat actually :)

Vetteran
06-03-2006, 19:29
Neck straps. Wrist straps are too hard.

sf
06-03-2006, 19:33
Wrist strap. Trouble with neck straps for me is that the camera is swinging from side to side or back and forth, and gets banged on things. If I'm out taking pictures in town, I have the camera either around my wrist and in hand, or in my bag with the flap down.

http://www.electricedge.com/gordy_s_straps/store/gallery/index.htm

clarence
06-04-2006, 02:04
I'd like to see someone try to use a TLR with a wrist strap (not hand strap).

Or a Koni-Omega, or a Mamiya Press.

Clarence

kubilai
06-04-2006, 05:25
There are security issues for the photographer :
- at times (for instance in mountains) you need both hands and wrist strap is dangerous because it may hamper.
- wrist is better with specific circumstances and subjects suddenly feeling asocial (a full-metal M is fine hand complement against controversial or anti-photographic people) ; if they grip your neck strap, other people have a way to force you.

Security issues for the camera :
- I do not like strap on shoulder since my Hexar sliped to the pavement (happily it coutinued to work OK many years)
- Neck : the lens may kick (e.g. bridge parapet in front of you, or rocks climbing mountains). Shade should have rubber in front of it.

ruben
06-04-2006, 06:05
Wrist strap. Trouble with neck straps for me is that the camera is swinging from side to side or back and forth, and gets banged on things. If I'm out taking pictures in town, I have the camera either around my wrist and in hand, or in my bag with the flap down.

http://www.electricedge.com/gordy_s_straps/store/gallery/index.htm

That's because your strap is too long adjusted. Have it at minimal lenght, long enough to twist the camera for a portrait, but no more, and your strapped camera will never bump again against your body. At that lenght you will be able to have it around your shoulder too, your upper harm holding it behind you and defending it from people passing by and whatever. It's all an issue of proportions. And personal customs too.
Cheers,
Ruben

PS: Thin strap only.

ruben
06-04-2006, 06:08
I only use the leather version of this strap (Matin Hand Grip):

http://perlyinc.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=48

The plus side is a strong gripping stabilizing the camera like a hand bracket. The minus side is enslaving 50% of your two hands.

Cheers,
Ruben

ruben
06-04-2006, 06:12
I'd like to see someone try to use a TLR with a wrist strap (not hand strap).

Or a Koni-Omega, or a Mamiya Press.

Clarence

Obvious, and not to speak about carrying two TLRs simultaneously.

ruben
06-04-2006, 06:14
:cool: I received a Vivitar 35ES with a wrist strap and liked it. So I bought a black strap with red wrapping from Gordy and put it on the Bessa R, see the photos. I think I like it for RF cameras. Seems they are ready to use and the weight is not that great. The question now is right side or left? I never liked the position that the Bessa R hung with small or light lens, always tilted back.

That is the type of camera a wrist strap will work wonderfully.

ruben
06-04-2006, 07:01
For RF cameras, I'm definitely a convert to wrist straps. For my TLR, a neck strap still works best... What say you, guys and girls?

To end my already long intervention at this thread, my opinion is:

a) For small and light cameras, nothing better than a wrist, provided size and weight of the camera doesn't enslave your wristed hand.

b) For all others, adjustable strap, rather short according to season, convertible to wrist through hand wrapping, and preferable not around neck, but hanging from the shoulder.

c) For mammouth cameras of the like of Mamiya TLR, strap of course, but at somewhat more extended lenght, imposed by camera size.

Cheers,
Ruben

PeterL
06-05-2006, 15:51
Wrist strap. Trouble with neck straps for me is that the camera is swinging from side to side or back and forth, and gets banged on things.

With a neck strap, I hang my camera over one shoulder, so the camera is on the side of my belly. It's much more secure because you can hold it comfortably in crowds, it doesn't swing around and it doesn't pull you down all the time. Also, an elastic neck strap takes away about half the pull of a bouncing camera. I have one glued to my SLR.

For my RF, I have a Gordy wrist strap, though.

Peter.

ruben
06-08-2006, 06:53
Comrade Peter,
Thank you for your posting. I was worried that upon mine I killed the thread. Truly.
Cheers,
Ruben

Hilmersen
06-08-2006, 11:24
I prefer not to use a strap. I used to use a neck strap untill it killed my hexar rf (RIP) by catching in a corner and catapulting the hexar to its death....

PeterL
06-08-2006, 15:48
Sorry to hear that, Hilmersen, but somehow, I can't stop laughing at the idea of a camera being catapulted in a nice swoop through the atmosphere :) My elastic neck strap would be capable of doing that, but I'm sure the camera would hit me first and knock me over or something silly like I always seem to end up doing.

Peter.

OldNick
07-11-2006, 18:08
I find that wrist straps are handy for small digital cameras, but, for my Leicas and my SLR, I prefer neck straps. I use a short strap to carry the Leica on my lower chest, and a longer strap to carry my SLR at waist level, preventing the two cameras from bumping each other.

Jim N.

Bill58
07-11-2006, 23:30
Anthing other than http://www.leicagoodies.com/ stuff (hook, sling, strap) gets in my way!!!!!!!!!

John Camp
07-31-2006, 13:47
I always used neck straps for my Nikons because they are too heavy for wrist straps; but wrist straps seemed right for RFs, so I got a couple of good ones and never got used to them. I currently use UP straps for everything (see here:
http://www.upstrap-pro.com/ ) and think that they're about the best strap that I've ever used. I keep the strap about medium length and carry the camera over my shoulder, either in front or in back, depending on the situation. If I have two cameras, I carry one on each side. If I'm in crowds, where I worry about being jostled and maybe ripped off, I carry it in front. When I'm trying to be a little discreet, I carry it in back. The only time I carry it around my neck is when I anticipate a lot of shots in a fairly short time. The UP strap can be slipped off your shoulder, but it's hard to do. You can prevent that possibility be sewing a button on the shoulder of your shirt. When people ask what it's for, you tell them it's God's Button for the Ethereal Buttoning. They'll let it go at that; although I couldn't recommend this answer in Saudi Arabia.

JC

rvaubel
07-31-2006, 21:27
Wrist strap for RF sized cameras. One of the inexpected benefits over a neck strap is you dont have all that mass to stuff back into the camera bag between shots.

Rex

robin a
08-01-2006, 02:03
8-1 Neck strap on everything,over the shoulder,around the neck,wrapped around my wrist.Find them to be no problem.

Nachkebia
08-01-2006, 06:50
I am using neck, would love to try wrist!

bmicklea
09-19-2006, 19:03
I switched from a neck to a wrist for my RF and won't be going back. A camera needs at least one hand to use it so I'd rather have mine ready 100% of the time... I also find that it's more subtle, I can "hide" the camera on a wrist strap quickly after taking a shot if that becomes necessary.

I keep my crumpler bag for when i need to carry the camera in its unready state or for when security becomes a concern.

bmicklea
09-19-2006, 19:03
I am using neck, would love to try wrist!

I got a cheap foamy one for about $16 - it's been great. I'm not convinced you need anything more...

ClaremontPhoto
09-19-2006, 23:46
I got a wrist strap from some nylon webbing in a local drugstore for about €0.10, and a neighbor sewed and glued the ends for for a coffee.

The webbing is the sort we use in southern Europe for opening and closing the roller shutters. The neighbor generally repairs shoes, so he had the right sort of glue and a strong sewing machine.

Coffee is always €0.50.

JoeV
09-23-2006, 11:35
I use a neck strap, over the right side of my neck and under my left arm, with the camera adjusted so it lies diagonally across my chest, (or under my left arm for carrying). Kind of 'bandolero style'. I can then just grab it one-handed with my right hand, and it's in a ready position for use, but doesn't flop around too much when walking.

pesphoto
10-02-2006, 08:30
I use a neck strap, but I wrap it around my wrist and hand when Im out shooting so Im at the ready. When not shooting I throw it on my shoulder

Ash
11-02-2006, 02:31
It was so strange when I went out to shoot a test roll in the FED and Zorki. I didn't bother to attach my wrist straps to either. It was quite.... liberating, although I did get nervous I'd drop the camera at any time.

It's very rare I'd use a camera without wrist strap. I have always used neck straps with SLR's though, those things are too chunky to hang from my wrist

5nap5hot
11-03-2006, 23:01
So my question to those who use a wrist strap, what do you do with the camera when you are done shooting.... or have to use the men's room ect. ;-)

back alley
11-04-2006, 05:11
put it back into the domke 5xb.

jody
11-04-2006, 06:24
I carry three cameras in my shoulder bag and use wrists straps with them. That way I keep it in my hand and ready. I already have shoulder bag strap around me and ipod headphones on I don't need anything else on my neck.

5nap5hot
11-04-2006, 09:52
ahh.. I am allergic to camera bags. I prefer to travel light.

Ash
11-04-2006, 11:57
today I used the hidden-man-purse idea I had. I attached the strap from a messenger back to the soft leather pouch that my Leica Standard came in. It sat comfortably at my side UNDER my leather jacket and was hardly visible (loose jacket).

This meant the camera was easily placed out of sight when not in use. Quite comfy.

5nap5hot
11-04-2006, 12:09
I rather like the look of the Leicagoodies STRAP with the ring thingy that you can slide the camera up at "the decisive moment". I just wish there was a leather one. I like the way you can detach the camera for hand-held use easily... without having to roll up the strap and put in in your pocket.

Jason Sprenger
11-29-2006, 09:43
When I'm taking pictures, I prefer a wrist strap and when I'm carrying a camera without a gadget bag, the neck strap is best.

What I'd like is some kind of quick detach system for a neck strap. With hunting rifles, sling swivels have a quick detach system that is really slick and very practical, notably "Uncle Mike's" QD swivels though I expect there might others too.

Split rings are not quick and a pain to change out if done frequently.

Topdog1
11-29-2006, 11:20
On tiny digital pocket cameras (e.g. Casio EX-S600) I just use their wrist strap, since a neck strap wold weigh more than the camera! When not in use I just slip it in my shirt pocket. It's only about the size of 3 stacked credit cards. On 35mm film cameras I only use a neck strap. They are usually too heavy to be held for long in the hand or slung from a wrist.

/Ira

icebear
11-29-2006, 11:20
I use a sling from Lutz (Leicagoodies) in combination with a Rapidgrip. Just the middle finger through the upper loop and you're good to go. Everything is basically secure with one finger and with the R-grip, balance and grip are just perfect for me. LOVE it !!

reagan
12-16-2006, 07:18
Zorki & Leica half-cases around the neck or on the shoulder.

kloudags
12-22-2006, 06:40
HI all,

Just got my Epson R-D1 from Japan (Yaataa!), all neat, and stuff... but no neck / shoulder strap! :( I wonder why they forgot to send it, and i'm having a hell of a time trying to find if this accessory can be found on the Net.

What would you advise as a replacement that would fit the Epson small holders for strap?
Any help appreciated.
Merry Christmas !:)

350D_user
12-22-2006, 06:54
Depends. Sometimes, the 350D's strapped tightly (or as can be) around the back of the hand, sometimes the strap is left flapping. It's never worn around the neck though.

As for the Leica... no lugs for a strap. :)

mikeb380
01-05-2007, 06:09
HI all,

Just got my Epson R-D1 from Japan (Yaataa!), all neat, and stuff... but no neck / shoulder strap! :( I wonder why they forgot to send it, and i'm having a hell of a time trying to find if this accessory can be found on the Net.

What would you advise as a replacement that would fit the Epson small holders for strap?
Any help appreciated.
Check out thecamerahunter.com He has multitudes of straps, covers, well, all kinds of stuff. I got my wrist strap from him ( not exactly a strap, it is more of a glove which attaches to the camera.

I detest neck straps as they are always in the way. I'd rather carry a camerain my hand than use a neck strap. With my wriststrap I can let the camera dangle and when I need it, just close my hand and it is there. Best thing since zippers. Thanks David :)

mikeb380
01-05-2007, 06:18
When I'm taking pictures, I prefer a wrist strap and when I'm carrying a camera without a gadget bag, the neck strap is best.

What I'd like is some kind of quick detach system for a neck strap. With hunting rifles, sling swivels have a quick detach system that is really slick and very practical, notably "Uncle Mike's" QD swivels though I expect there might others too.

Split rings are not quick and a pain to change out if done frequently.

Jason, there are camera straps with swivel snaps or "quick disconnects"as you describe them. Check out thecamerahunter.com he has oodles of different straps, etc.
Michael
No, I don't have a vested interest in him, I just like his gear and he is a nice guy. Name is David

vmo
01-08-2007, 19:04
I use a dog leash. i drag my camera along. Tough old M8

shutterfiend
01-09-2007, 06:54
A wrist strap renders the right arm practically useless, a neck strap is obstructive. I would have hoped someone to come up with a "Taxi Driver" (De Niro) style accessory by now.

tkluck
01-09-2007, 13:05
Best combination, particularly with a RF, is a coat with a large inside pocket and a wrist strap. Not the best combination at events where the secret service is present however.
For those gifted with a fairly substantial gut, a neck strap adjusted to place the camera at "shelf level" places it a convenient yet protected position behind your built in 5mph bumper.
A uniquely English colonial solution is simply a "camera barer". Reach behind you and your trusted minion hands you your Leica. He can carry an FSU camera to back you up if the sublect charges.

Robert
01-09-2007, 13:31
I use the neck strap but I might buy a good wrist strap but would the camera would be more suspectable to knocks?

shutterfiend
01-09-2007, 13:37
I wonder if it's possible to setup a wire contraption like a harmonica holder and use a cable release for the shutter.

trittium
01-09-2007, 15:21
I always like the neck strap wrapped around the wrist

arbib
01-21-2007, 12:58
I have tried a wrist starp, not for me. I like the neck strap adjusted so the camera is at my just a tab above my belt level. Chest level is too high and tough to adjust for "walking candids".

back alley
01-21-2007, 13:04
i am using an extra long neck strap for one of my cameras and it's great for winter shooting. (my hands only touch the camera for photo taking not carrying), but mostly a long strap makes feel like a tourist. (sorry)

i love the wrist strap.

Steve Bellayr
01-21-2007, 15:32
I use a neck strap that comes apart. The center part is removed and the ends that are attached to the camera come together converting to a wrist strap. I also wrap the neck strap around my hand like FrankS.

besk
01-21-2007, 15:45
Since I gave up camera cases and instead started carrying my 35mm cameras in shoulder bags I used only wrist straps with one exception. This works particularly well with the Domke satchels. The camera is well protected in the bag until it is put into use. When I reach for my camera, I automatically put my hand through the strap first before grabbing the camera.

I have used wrist straps with an Iskra, Hasselblad with a homemade handstrap, Nikon SLRs and several 35mm rangefinder cameras. The only camera that I use a neckstrap with now is a Rolleiflex TLR.

dostacos
01-21-2007, 18:57
well, I like my Domke straps, however I bought a Leicatime case and strap and I REALLY think that case needs a wrist strap. I keep wraping the strap around my wrist, so my next Leicatime case will also include wrist straps. Just ordered a Gordy strap for by Bessa L

Nachkebia
02-15-2007, 05:57
Depends!
If I am with my two body setup usually it goes like this, Zeiss ikon with 25mm biogon on Wrist strap and M7 with summilux 50mm asph on neck trap!
If I am just walking with one camera and not planing to do anything fancy I have one camera with wrist strap!

mikeb380
02-16-2007, 12:42
HI all,

Any help appreciated.

You can get small rings to thread through the lugs and then use any strap you want. I bought a wrist strap ( almost a glove) from the camera hunter and I love it. You can also find straps there. He has a web site: http://www.thecamerahunter.com
he is also on ebay ID: camerahunter.
I've bought filters straps and other items from him. Good seller and he has only one shipping charge no matter how much you buy. A good deal.
Michael

rogue_designer
02-16-2007, 12:51
For my RF's I use a neck strap (a gordy coale strap), but frequently wrap it around my hand/wrist. So I have the option.

mikeb380
02-16-2007, 12:55
A wrist strap renders the right arm practically useless, a neck strap is obstructive. I would have hoped someone to come up with a "Taxi Driver" (De Niro) style accessory by now.

I have seen a strap system which fastens the camera to the chest. It is a quick release system. I think it was originally made for hill/rock/mountain climbers (the crazies) to keep the camera from swinging in the way. Nice contraption. You might search google/yahoo for a chest harness. If you find one, post it please?

BTW, my wrist strap is fastened with snap buttons for quick open and also slips on and off like a glove. Easy to remove and push in photo vest pocket if desired. Check them out at thecamerahunter site.

good Luck
Michael

mikeb380
02-16-2007, 13:59
I just found a chest harness on The Camera Hunter. It runs about $25.00 His shipping charge is $2.00 for up to 5lbs, anywhere in the world,
no matter how many items are included.

Joe Mondello
04-13-2007, 14:47

Yup, been doing that since before the dawn of time!;)

sepiareverb
04-13-2007, 15:11
Domke 'gripper' straps (narrow) with swivels. I usually carry 2 bodies one over the shoulder and one around the neck. Even use the long neck strap for my TVS- never did get the hang of wrist straps- perhaps as a former smoker I always needed my hands!

Spyderman
04-16-2007, 05:32
RF - wrist strap (but neck strap is better when changing lenses more often...)

SLR - definitely neck strap

ndnbrunei
04-16-2007, 06:12
I'm into street photography so I like the flexibility of a wrist strap. HCB used to wind the neck strap of his Leica around his wrist. This means you can have the camera by your side out of sight, then when you need to use it, quickly bring the camera up to your eye.

From a security point of view I think the wrist strap is better too.

I use a webbing pet collar (made for a cat or small dog) and it is linked to the camera with a snap fastening from a large snap swivel (used by fisherman). It has a nice pattern, looks 'professional' is strong and adjustable. It cost about USD $5.

ChrisN
06-13-2007, 00:39
I recently wanted to try a snake-chain, which looks good for something very compact and unobtrusive, but was a bit put off by people who had one break. I decided to make something similar out of plaited kangaroo lace. It has ended up being a little stiffer than I'd imagined, but is still quite flexible enough to wrap around the wrist, and should soften up over time. Kangaroo hide is actually one of the strongest leathers for its weight, and a round 4-plait will easily hold my weight!

Bill58
06-13-2007, 01:42
How about a paracord strap? Maybe this guy could make one in 30 different colors (http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1177080695/Incredible+Paracord+Watch+Strap+-+CobraStrap).

ChrisN
06-13-2007, 02:17
How about a paracord strap? Maybe this guy could make one in 30 different colors (http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1177080695/Incredible+Paracord+Watch+Strap+-+CobraStrap).

Been there, done that. :)

gavinlg
06-13-2007, 02:34
Wrist strap for short stints, neck strap for walking round a city etc

pesphoto
06-13-2007, 04:48
Yup, been doing that since before the dawn of time!;)

same here...i found the wrist strap worked ok, but like having the longer strap for when Im not shooting but want my camera close by

vrgard
06-13-2007, 14:02
same here...i found the wrist strap worked ok, but like having the longer strap for when Im not shooting but want my camera close by

Yep, that's my preference as well. And I found that the Luigi deluxe neck strap, once well broken in, remains strong yet becomes wonderfully soft enough to easily use wrapped around my wrist when I don't want to carry my camera around my neck or hanging from my shoulder.

-Randy

wontonny
06-13-2007, 15:03
shoulder strap :) so i dont look like a tourist when i'm just walking around. people will never know you're taking pictures because it comes up and then goes down under your arm

ISO
06-13-2007, 16:31
Yes, do it the same way with my RF in the streets. Camera is on the right shoulder covered by a jacket that fits the season. You see the situation, the camera comes up/ out within a second, shot takes another couple seconds, camera disappears and I walk away. Was there anything :confused: ? Do not think so :cool: ! The only camera that hangs around my neck from time to time is a Olympus XA4, as alternative to the 40mm streetshooters on my shoulder.

thomasw_
06-17-2007, 20:33
i use luigi's tiny wrist straps on all my rangefinders....no metal, all leathery loving!

sienarot
06-17-2007, 22:05
Shoulder or no strap for me.

potomo
06-23-2007, 03:38
Neck for me, but I use normally on my shoulder :-)

pau3
07-19-2007, 12:10
I use a neck strap, around my wrist ;-)

NickTrop
07-19-2007, 16:32
Know what I use as a wrist strap for my Iskra? A regular ole $0.05 Lanyard. It was a make-shift DIY solution until I bought another wrist strap for it but I like it enough (and it is sturdy/secure enough) that I figured, "Why bother?"

TheHub
07-28-2007, 06:55
For a small camera (Rollei 35) a wrist strap is fine.
For TLRs, around the neck.
For the Canon P (and others) I wear them like a purse: over/around the shoulder. I don't like things bouncing off my chest/gut and don't take enough photos to warrant a wrist strap. When I want to take a photo, the camera comes up to eye level fast enough ;)

colinh
07-28-2007, 11:59
Last couple of days, my M7 has been strapless. It does get tiring after a couple of hours, but it's even less obtrusive that way (rather than having the neck strap wrapped around my wrist.

What's that? Wrist strap you say? That's for girlies. :)

colin

Morca007
07-29-2007, 01:39
I hate neckstraps, and have never tried a wrist strap, so I'm strapless.

back alley
09-27-2007, 16:09
while i am learning to more appreciate the neck/shoulder strap, the wrist strap remains my favourite.

joe

Burkey
09-28-2007, 05:31
Artisan and Artist straps on my shoulder when walking, around my neck when shooting.

photobizzz
10-03-2007, 03:47
I use the Prostrap deluxe wriststrap on my Leica, Neck strap on my heavier DSLR (but we arent talking about those are we)

ruby.monkey
10-03-2007, 03:56
Either on a wriststrap, or hanging vertically from a shoulder strap.

TheHub
10-03-2007, 04:30
Depends on the weight of the camera. Mostly around the neck, sometimes on the wrist.

My IIIf is light enough to hang around my neck without bouncing off my gut. My Trip 35 goes around my wrist for quick shooting. Heavier cameras go around my neck/shoulder like a purse.

ruben
10-20-2007, 14:35

This was the HCB style, and all proportions maintained, mine too. But last days, street photography is changing my style. Until now I used a rather 'confrontation' approach. Now I am enjoying the forbidden pleasures of snaking.

I have found that holding the camera by its nose (lens and hood mainly and a bit by its lower casting) is extremely conspicuous. The very action of holding the camera this way, conceals half of it, or more. Using a wrist for safety (left hand for a right hand user) adds to conspicuity. Because when you are concealing such big chunks of your camera, the strap starts to become an out-standing feature.

I have the personal feeling that by holding the camera this way, I am perceived when seen as a less dangerous fellow, than when carrying the camera from my neck. Now if we give it a bit of thought, only big SLR digitals are used with straps, amateurs with small digis are not using straps like in the past. I.e. the strap in the eyes of the people is a sign of the pro.

Of course you cannot walk with a 650 grams brick wristed to your hand, for a long period of time, then if you like wrists, you will have to have both wrist and strap easily detachable.

Well, all these is new and tentative. Let's see what happens next.

Cheers,
Rubem

raid
10-20-2007, 17:49
I was about to start a thread on what I experienced today on using wrist straps, and then I saw this poll thread.

I was carrying a Contax IIIa with a 50 Sonnar, in addition to a Leica Standard with viewfinder [that kept on moving, suggesting it may be falling off] and a Canon 35mm lens. It was a bad experience having both cameras with wrist straps. I had to juggle around the cameras from hand to hand whenever I needed to change aperture settings or speeds or trying to put the viewfinder back in place. Imagine if I had to use my handheld meter!

I voted "it depends".

If you use one camera that is not excessively heavy [with the lens], then using a wrist strap can be very effective for quick handling photography.

When trying to have two cameras ready for photography, as I did today,then it is a pain in the wahoo to carry two cameras with wrist straps.

When a camera is heavy, you may get wrist pain afterwards, even with one camera.

My suggestion: have both types of straps attached to the cameras. When needed, use the neck strap to "park" a camera until needed, while holding the other camera on its wrist strap. It works!

photobizzz
10-24-2007, 20:41
I find that the idea of being "unobtrusive" with a RF is kind of lost when you use a neck strap. It puts the camera on display in your midsection. That is why I use a wrist strap on my RF's but for a SLR I totally agree, cant be walking around all day with a 3-4 pound setup and not have some relief from the weight.

kuzano
10-24-2007, 20:54
Destroyed my Canon GIII w a wrist strap. Stumbled and shattered the camera against the sidewalk trying to break my fall. NO MORE WRIST STRAPS FOR ME.

mtbbrian
10-25-2007, 06:42
I just got one of Gordon's wrist straps and I LOVE IT!
That reminds me, I still owe him a pic!
I still have the neckstrap I bought with the camera though.
Brian

steverett
11-27-2007, 21:17
I make my own camera straps, they go over my shoulder and across my chest, so they are out of the way on the side and stay close to my body, but I can swing them up if I need to.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/2060282936_6b825c5dee_o.jpg

The strap is made from Grosgrain ribbon (Stronger), doubled up and stitched with a curtain pocket, which I feed on the rings. Total < $5 at my local craft store (for 10X as much ribbon as I needed), and if it starts to fray or I get tired of the color, I can just make a new one.

It's been surprisingly durable; the one in the photo is the first one I made 6 months ago.

gumanow
11-27-2007, 22:12
I use the neck strap wrapped around my wrist three times except when loading film or chowing down some food on the go. i voted wrist strap, but its a neck strap. I just always shoot using it wrapped around the wrist.

jimoconnell
11-27-2007, 22:31
I treated myself to a nice Artisan and Artist strap the other day, a nylon adjustable model with a wide neck band with their logo printed in clear non-skid letters.
I didn't realize it at the time, but it's *really* long.
The camera strap, when worn diagonally across the chest, puts the camera well below my belt, at about my hip.

My initial reaction was to cut it down to a more normal size, but I've found I really like using a long strap, as it is very easy to lift the camera to shoot.

I definitely cannot hang a camera just around my neck anymore as it causes too much neck pain. Over the shoulder doesn't work well when I carry a messenger-style bag. (My M3 slipped off my shoulder the other day while getting out of a taxi and crushed my favorite 35mm lens under the weight of the body.)

Across the chest wasn't really comfortable before as they are too-often too tight to comfortably lift the camera and shoot on short notice.

Strange about the long strap: Just a few nights before I had unwittingly bought it, I was talking to a guy in a bar who noticed my M3. It turns out this guy had been a staffer at Magnum when Koudelka was sleeping on their sofa and this guy mentioned that Koudelka used an M3 like mine and that he used to wear it on a very long strap...

infrequent
12-13-2007, 22:29
i am definitely getting one of gorky's wrist straps for my hexar rf.

Bill58
12-27-2007, 01:28
I've found that my leicagoodies.com sling doesn't work w/ my Yashicas. The travel of the advance lever is just too long.

ruben
01-02-2008, 16:43
wrist or neck ?

For me both.

The wrist is much more conspicuous and symple. The strap for long walks, as holding a camera from my wrist for longer than an hour it becomes painfull.

Thus, my daily Kievs are permanently wristed, and a strap in my back pack.

Cheers,
Ruben

wgerrard
01-05-2008, 11:44
As I see it, a strap is there to catch the camera if my grip on it slips. With a neck strap, I always hold the camera in my right hand, anyway. It's no fun walking around with a camera bouncing off your chest.

I tend to prefer a wrist strap, and, again, always hold the camera. Dangling a camera from your wrist is an invitation to whack it against something hard.

jpiseminger
02-17-2008, 17:28
Wide strap slung around the neck or over a shoulder: I'm usually carrying a Nikon SLR with a motor drive or winder, and the wide width helps distribute the weight.

marke
03-27-2008, 07:19

Yeah, me too. Seems like an obvious answer.

Sometimes, when I'm standing on a street corner, waiting for a scene to unfold, I actually want to look like a tourist with a camera hanging from my neck, and then I'll shoot that way. Other times I'd rather walk around with my camera ready and waiting in my hand, so the neckstrap is wrapped around my wrist.

Bob Michaels
03-30-2008, 19:22
No strap. Always carry the camera in my hand. Never dropped one yet.

Add a pocket full of film and I'm set to shoot for the day.

JayC
03-31-2008, 07:00
But what do you do if you have to use a john, or happen to buy a cup of coffee or.......? I bought a Gordy wrist strap recently, and have moved it around from camera to camera, trying to figure out a good combo. I find a wrist strap limits any simple daily activity (getting my wallet out of my pocket, getting money out of said wallet, shaking hands with a neighbor, etc). A camera with no strap feels great in the hands, but you're gonna have to set it down sometime, and you might not like where you have to set it down (refer to the first example in the first sentence).

tmfabian
07-27-2008, 10:23
i wrap the neckstrap around my wrist...but i don't use a wriststrap because if need be i can use the neckstrap as a neckstrap.

elude
07-31-2008, 23:33
Yeah, me too. Seems like an obvious answer.

Sometimes, when I'm standing on a street corner, waiting for a scene to unfold, I actually want to look like a tourist with a camera hanging from my neck, and then I'll shoot that way. Other times I'd rather walk around with my camera ready and waiting in my hand, so the neckstrap is wrapped around my wrist.

same here, neck strap around the wrist most of the time.

italy74
08-01-2008, 03:25
Rationally, I voted for wrist straps, given the camera size, but in real situation a RF camera could be easily leaning from my neck too (if I'd ever have one)

p.s... What's a "hippy" strap?