PDA

View Full Version : Where in the World is Roger Hicks?

oftheherd
03-03-2010, 04:51
Hadn't seen Mr. Hicks post lately, and his profile says he hasn't posted for several days. Does anyone know if he is just taking a break from us?

My hope is that he isn't in the part of France that was so hard hit by the recent rains, and that he may have been a victim of that.

Anybody know?

Brian Sweeney
03-03-2010, 04:54
I was just thinking the same thing, and checked his most recent posts. It's been a week since he checked in.

Roger disappears from time to time, sometimes on trips- sometimes not. It has been a long time since he "just needed a break" from us.

Rob-F
03-03-2010, 04:55
Which part of France had the storms? Roger lives in Aquitaine.

Ade-oh
03-03-2010, 04:57
According to his profile, he does live in south-west France, though probably a bit to the south of the worst hit areas. Fingers crossed he and Frances are OK.

yanidel
03-03-2010, 04:59
Most of the casualities happened North of Aquitaine, so I would not worry too much about that.

kully
03-03-2010, 05:07
And it's only been a week!

:)

Richard C
03-03-2010, 10:55
We're all going to DIE

This was the title of one of his latest threads.

I hope it wasn't prophetic.

Mael
03-03-2010, 11:05
We're all going to DIE

This was the title of one of his latest threads.

I hope it wasn't prophetic.

I'm sorry to say that he's right, we ALL are going to die. Soon or later...:p

Pickett Wilson
03-03-2010, 11:08
He has a new article on his website dated yesterday, so I take it he is fine. :)

oftheherd
03-03-2010, 11:26
He has a new article on his website dated yesterday, so I take it he is fine. :)

That's good to hear.

rover
03-03-2010, 11:46
Believe it or not, I hadn't heard that before. But it explains a lot ...

Nobody has ever seen the three of them together, same place same time you know.

dcsang
03-03-2010, 11:50

That rumour must be due to their (each of them or all together) curmudgeonly attitude(s) :D

Dave

Sparrow
03-03-2010, 11:52

I always thought Harry Lime was the third man? ... so who is that other chap

oftheherd
03-03-2010, 11:58
I always thought Harry Lime was the third man? ... so who is that other chap

If you will look at dcsang's post above yours, and his reasoning, then the only logical choice for the other chap would be Bill Mattock. :eek: :D

Michael Markey
03-03-2010, 12:03
He is on holiday in the pyrenees using a 1914 map and in a series Landrover. He could be some time ;) Bit of damage to his place ...loose slates ect.

Sparrow
03-03-2010, 13:08
If you will look at dcsang's post above yours, and his reasoning, then the only logical choice for the other chap would be Bill Mattock. :eek: :D

I'm shocked! that would mean that photopuff was not John Cairncross .. damnable shame ... I thought I had it there :D

Juan Valdenebro
03-03-2010, 13:17
So funny!

Well, they all must be fine.

Long live people who say what they think: my respect and thanks to all of them and their helpful posting!

Cheers,

Juan

charjohncarter
03-03-2010, 16:23
He is on holiday in the pyrenees using a 1914 map and in a series Landrover. He could be some time ;) Bit of damage to his place ...loose slates ect.

He is entitled to a vacation. He'll be back. Nobody was upset when I disappeared to Mexico for two weeks this year, of course, there is the possibility, you were happy.

Keith
03-03-2010, 16:32
He is entitled to a vacation. He'll be back. Nobody was upset when I disappeared to Mexico for two weeks this year, of course, there is the possibility, you were happy.

You haven't ruffled enough feathers ... we seem to like the 'feather rufflers' here at RFF and always miss them when they're not around! :D

While we're on the subject of missing ... I miss Ruben! :(

charjohncarter
03-03-2010, 20:26
You haven't ruffled enough feathers ... we seem to like the 'feather rufflers' here at RFF and always miss them when they're not around! :D

I miss Ruben, too. I guess I'll have to throw some bombs.

back alley
03-03-2010, 20:27
doesn't everyone want to get away from this place at times?

Philly
03-04-2010, 08:33
Roger has a column in AP dated today (http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/backfromfront/The_Final_Frame__Roger_Hicks_backfromfront_295609. html) in which he clearly takes a shot at Bill Mattocks, who himself has not posted here for over two weeks.

I see that some references to Bill have been deleted and edited out from above posts.:eek:
Is something strange going on?:confused:

Pickett Wilson
03-04-2010, 08:39
Sounds like Roger couldn't think of anything for the column, so penned that rambling discourse. Nothing new there.

kully
03-04-2010, 08:51
Woah - Bill Mattocks mentioned in AP!?

ernstk
03-04-2010, 09:01
Roger has a column in AP dated today (http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/backfromfront/The_Final_Frame__Roger_Hicks_backfromfront_295609. html) in which he clearly takes a shot at Bill Mattocks, who himself has not posted here for over two weeks.

I see that some references to Bill have been deleted and edited out from above posts.:eek:

I've just read it. Where is the 'clear shot' at Bill Mattocks?

Ernst

batterytypehah!
03-04-2010, 09:05
Roger and Bill have locked horns on occasion over the subject of metering. I agree, I think it's Bill he's referring to in the column.

pakeha
03-04-2010, 09:27
Sounds like Roger couldn't think of anything for the column, so penned that rambling discourse. Nothing new there.

somebody give this guy a hug

Brian Sweeney
03-04-2010, 13:41
"Luke, Turn off the Light Meter, Trust your Feelings..."

I was suprised that the M8 had a meter in it. That's what happens when you move from an M3 to an M8. Knew it would be Digital- just could not figure out what those arrows meant. And Numbers! What were Numbers doing in a Leica Viewfinder?

Hope Roger is having a good time and using Sunny-16.

chippy
03-04-2010, 15:30
whats even more amazing is Roger seems to be acknowledging one of the positive uses and benefits of vintage folders for photography (without having a go at them i might add!!) :eek: there may be some hope for him yet!!

...."the loss of sharpness and bigger grain may be detectable if you're shooting 35mm and enlarging to 8x10in, although it probably won't be if you're using an old roll-film folder. The point is, you'll enjoy yourself. Why do it otherwise? "

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/backfromfront/The_Final_Frame__Roger_Hicks_backfromfront_295609. html

CopperB
03-04-2010, 15:36

I used to say that about Michael Jackson and sister LaToya. They did have the same nose after all... :eek:

Ruby
03-06-2010, 08:56
My thoughts are with Roger and Frances. I hope that all is well and that Roger will be be back here soon, safe and sound.

Roger Hicks
03-06-2010, 13:01
Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts.

Premise 1: Not exactly vacation: look at www.semiadventuroustraveller.com.

Premise 2: I have a copy of Le Pays de France for July 1914 about the inauguration of the 'Route des Pyrenees', 500 miles from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic along the Pyrenean mountain range. The roads are a bit better today so why not try it in February/March?

Premise 3: Frances has an affliction called 'PPR'. pseudopolyarthrite rhizomelique or pseudo-polyarthritis, and we can call in at St. Thomas (thermal baths) on the way.

Synthesis: Ideas & pics for several articles but one of the high passes was closed so we couldn't do the whole Route. Frances's PPR much better.

@ Pickett. Yes, I could think of an idea, and that was it.

Cheers,

R.

bgb
03-06-2010, 13:25
Simply delighted to hear that you and Frances are not lost in the wilds of France. Good to hear that Frances has benefited from the thermal baths.
Were you surprised that we are all so concerned about you disappearance? Considering how few of of us in this world wide rff family have ever met you.

FrankS
03-06-2010, 13:26
There he is! :)

acheyj
03-06-2010, 16:07

Yeah Keith I really really miss Ruben. Got me tools and oil/grease out and the Kiev 4 waiting.
Reckon the bugger has gone to the dark side with the G1, oh well he will be back soon to tell us how to adjust the tension on the sd card.
As long as he leaves the OM 1--4 alone.

ron

Al Patterson
03-06-2010, 18:10

Well, I'm glad to see Roger posting that all is well, but an article in a magazine dated today may have been submitted weeks or months ago, due to the way the publishing industry works.

Now blog or RFF postings from today or yesterday are a better indication of where people are recently...

Welcome back Roger.

Merkin
03-06-2010, 18:31
I used to say that about Michael Jackson and sister LaToya. They did have the same nose after all... :eek:

I think they chopped Tito up for spare parts some time in the early nineties ;)

pakeha
03-06-2010, 18:46
okay, so where is Bill Mattocks then?
On holiday also? Hope he did`nt go to Pakistan with that ` waterboarding rules' tee shirt on

Philly
03-06-2010, 19:30
okay, so where is Bill Mattocks then?

Bill's become a mentor and has his own site now.

http://www.cameramentor.com/

pakeha
03-06-2010, 19:35
Bill's become a mentor and has his own site now.

http://www.cameramentor.com/

shame, i for one will miss his wit and personality.
regards, CW

Ruby
03-06-2010, 22:30
This is good news that Roger is back safely and Frances feeling much better.

I wish all good things for Bill Mattocks in his new enterprise.

MartinP
03-07-2010, 12:05
Welcome back from your trip Roger !

Earlier posts in this thread have made me a little worried however . . . So far as I recall I have never been seen together with both Margaret Thatcher and Robert Mugabe. Could I be one and the same ?

aniMal
03-07-2010, 12:31
Not sure about you - but Thatcher and Mugabe? Really explains a lot!

Spoks
03-07-2010, 12:54
Welcome back from your trip Roger !

Earlier posts in this thread have made me a little worried however . . . So far as I recall I have never been seen together with both Margaret Thatcher and Robert Mugabe. Could I be one and the same ?

Has anyone of you registered any activity from Olsen?

I drove passed his house tonight. All dark. Have not seen or heard from him in a week or two. But Mugabe is on the TV screen just every day now. It's spooky. That's what it is....

Olsen? I always thought it was something odd about him....

oftheherd
03-08-2010, 04:49
Glad to see Mr. Hicks is alright, and that his wife is feeling better after taking the baths. Welcome back sir!

For the record, I also miss Ruben. I guess I need to look him up on wherever it is he is posting now and chide him into gracing us with an appearance from time to time. No doubt we can all benefit from learning how to tension our sd cards. Learning where to attach the yak yarn to the sensors will help less people, but some are sure to find it useful.

Dave Wilkinson
03-08-2010, 13:53
What's interesting about it? He copies text from other blogs and websites that he links to later, and puts his own byline on the "story". This site masquerades as an authentic source of information with a credited reporter writing articles but it feels downright fraudulent.
I used to have great respect for Bill, his convictions and his logic approach to debate. I hope it's not his true intention to dupe people into thinking he's writing all these stories. Agreed...seemed to be just links to other sites, and news items!

Philly
03-08-2010, 14:18
Maybe he's the new Ken Rockwell.:eek:

bob338
03-08-2010, 14:19
This site masquerades as an authentic source of information with a credited reporter writing articles but it feels downright fraudulent.

i think it is fraudulent. what else would it be when you use a headline from an article, attach your name under it and link to the real article?

pretty sleazy.

bob

back alley
03-08-2010, 14:41
enough already!