PDA

View Full Version : We're all going to DIE

Roger Hicks
02-07-2010, 13:35
Eventually. So is film. So is Earth. Until then, why worry so much about it, and invent worst-case scenarios? (Also known as German breakfasts: Wurst-Kase Scenarios).

Cheers,

R.

FrankS
02-07-2010, 13:37
Misery likes company?

back alley
02-07-2010, 13:38
death surrounds us all...

i remember film, that long curly stuff, with the holes in it, on the sides...

my death, for some, cannot approach quickly enough.

Roger Hicks
02-07-2010, 13:40

Nah, it's flat, rectangular stuff with notches.

Cheers,

R.

-doomed-
02-07-2010, 13:42
We've been dying since day one, some of us are just getting there faster.

Dave Wilkinson
02-07-2010, 13:42
Eventually. So is film. So is Earth. Until then, why worry so much about it, and invent worst-case scenarios? (Also known as German breakfasts: Wurst-Kase Scenarios).

Cheers,

R. But the nice little man at my door - last week said it would happen soon, but was avoidable! :angel:

gho
02-07-2010, 13:46
No need to worry, film is immortal ;-).

-doomed-
02-07-2010, 13:47
That's a good plan.

ryan26
02-07-2010, 13:47
The worry generally ends by post 4 when one of the same 5 or 6 people that train-wreck most threads starts arguing about semantics.

Keith
02-07-2010, 13:52
The worry generally ends by post 4 when one of the same 5 or 6 people that train-wreck most threads starts arguing about semantics.

'Semantics?'

Is that the Korean company that's buying all Kodak's film producing equipment?

Juan Valdenebro
02-07-2010, 13:56
I agree with you Roger, and I honestly think Frank's one was a serious, heart-deep but true answer, I'm afraid. And it makes me feel sad to perceive sadness in other people. Thank God I believe our lives have a meaning beyond our reason, because I had horrible times during my years of youth feeling there was nothing else than me and my time. I wish everyone peace of mind, and a reason to believe, that sudden, unexpected gift for happiness.

Cheers,

Juan

Dave Wilkinson
02-07-2010, 14:00
'Semantics?'

Is that the Korean company that's buying all Kodak's film producing equipment? Keith, your time is coming sooner!...already half way through Monday - are'nt ya?

Keith
02-07-2010, 14:04

Cheers,

R.

Isn't that what makes us unique of all the life forms of this planet ... the ability to contemplate or imagine a future?

I wonder why we developed or were given this ability ... it's caused a few problems I reckon! :p

oftheherd
02-07-2010, 14:05

Cheers,

R.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe you had just seen 2012. But I like the idea of German breakfast, thanks for that.

ruby.monkey

Cheers,

R.
I thought it came covered in dust and the smell of old people.

Brian Sweeney
Maybe so, but I'd rather see the ones I love outlive me. We came close to losing Nikki when she was a toddler. That puts a perspective on things.

These endless film vs digital debates- what a waste of time. Enjoy it while it is here, and don't wish an early death for things that give a lot of pleasure and happiness to some.

Benjamin
02-07-2010, 14:10

Approach who?

nikon_sam
02-07-2010, 14:10
"What, me worry???" Alfred E. Newman

Juan Valdenebro
02-07-2010, 14:23
Yeah, back alley, I can't believe someone thinking that way...

If it has ever been true, those cowards don't appreciate someone brave and honest.

Cheers,

Juan

back alley
02-07-2010, 14:26
you should see some of my email...

Roger Hicks
02-07-2010, 14:29
But the nice little man at my door - last week said it would happen soon, but was avoidable! :angel:

Only if we all go digital!

REPENT! FOR THE END OF FILM IS NIGH!

@Keith: All tool-using animals (and the list is ever growing) must have some ability to imagine a future.

@Juan: I'm not sure our lives do have a meaning, but it's worth taking Pascal's wager to the extent that it's worth living as if they do. Or, alternatively, as if we are social animals. I like the title of Kate Adie's autobiography: The Kindness of Strangers.

Cheers,

R.

Keith
02-07-2010, 14:32
As leader of the pack you will always cop some flack Joe,

but we here will always watch your back for you as you go!'

A little poem I wrote for you ... our esteemed mod! :D

Dave Wilkinson
02-07-2010, 14:38
As leader of the pack you will always cop some flack Joe,

but we here will always watch your back for you as you go!'

A little poem I wrote for you ... our esteemed mod! :D mmm....I think I know who teacher's pet was - at your school! ;)

Keith
02-07-2010, 14:40
Only if we all go digital!

REPENT! FOR THE END OF FILM IS NIGH!

@Keith: All tool-using animals (and the list is ever growing) must have some ability to imagine a future.

@Juan: I'm not sure our lives do have a meaning, but it's worth taking Pascal's wager to the extent that it's worth living as if they do. Or, alternatively, as if we are social animals. I like the title of Kate Adie's autobiography: The Kindness of Strangers.

Cheers,

R.

Not necessarily ... it proves they have the ability to deal with an immediate need ... which doesn't require immagination, just clever DNA!

SamStewart
02-07-2010, 14:41
Approach who?
the germs are nice.

Trius
02-07-2010, 14:42

Cheers,

R.
Exactly. Now where did I put that little booklet that illustrates all the notch codes every used ... :rolleyes:

wgerrard
02-07-2010, 15:03
Pontificating, AKA ranting, on the internet creates the impression that all of our hot air actually might change the course of events. We used to do this in bars. Now, some do it in bars and others on the net. A happy few do it on the net in a bar.

gnarayan
02-07-2010, 15:07
Eventually. So is film. So is Earth

Yeah. It's slightly annoying when some of the people here who are very passionate about film get on their soap boxes or occasionally propose 2 billion dollar notes at 15% interest like its monopoly money. It is much worse though when the preachers of digital decide they need to "educate" the film crowd and rub the inevitable in their faces. That just seems rude to me.

Forget the buggy whip manufacturers, would you mock carriage drivers because Ford is going to put them out of business? They are people.

My gripe with the debate is that both sides are dumb. You ought not to have to justify your choice to anyone. Use what you want for Pete's sake. It harms no one.

I dropped off a couple of rolls of Ektar 100 at the local Hunts and one of the "pros" shopping there at the time decided to take it upon himself to tell me about the miracle of digital. I wish I'd said "Thank you, yes I know about digital, I do have a DSLR, and I work with gigapixel images on a regular basis and might know a thing or two about image processing algorithms" but its simpler to shut up. You want to use your 5D Mark II with your array of Alien Bees. Go straight ahead. Good for you. I do not care.

I am 26. I will die too.

Cheers,
-Gautham

Dave Wilkinson
02-07-2010, 15:10
[Quote] "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind - and won't change the subject!"
Winston Spencer Churchill

Keith
02-07-2010, 15:13
Yeah. It's slightly annoying when some of the people here who are very passionate about film get on their soap boxes or occasionally propose 2 billion dollar notes at 15% interest like its monopoly money. It is much worse though when the preachers of digital decide they need to "educate" the film crowd and rub the inevitable in their faces. That just seems rude to me.

Forget the buggy whip manufacturers, would you mock carriage drivers because Ford is going to put them out of business? They are people.

My gripe with the debate is that both sides are dumb. You ought not to have to justify your choice to anyone. Use what you want for Pete's sake. It harms no one.

I dropped off a couple of rolls of Ektar 100 at the local Hunts and one of the "pros" shopping there at the time decided to take it upon himself to tell me about the miracle of digital. I wish I'd said "Thank you, yes I know about digital, I do have a DSLR, and I work with gigapixel images on a regular basis and might know a thing or two about image processing algorithms" but its simpler to shut up. You want to use your 5D Mark II with your array of Alien Bees. Go straight ahead. Good for you. I do not care.

I am 26. I will die too.

Cheers,
-Gautham

He wasn't wearing a suit and riding a bicycle per chance was he? :D

antiquark
02-07-2010, 15:13
Since we're talking about mortality and film, my question is: what should I pack my coffin with?

Like the ancient Egyptians did, I plan to fill my coffin with worldly goods so I wont be bored in the afterlife.

I'm trying to decide: should I fill it with digital cameras, or film cameras and a couple hundred rolls of Tri-X? Also, should I bring some dev chemicals too? If I go digital, I'll have to bring a PC, and even a Honda Generator. Hmmm, lots of things to think about... :)

Silva Lining
02-07-2010, 15:23
I've quietly decided I'm not actually going to die.

I may even stop paying tax too.... :D

clicker
02-07-2010, 15:29
When you die it won't matter, that is because it doesn't really matter now.

sepiareverb
02-07-2010, 15:41
How long before we get a "What Will the Last RFF Thread Be About?" thread?

charjohncarter
02-07-2010, 15:49
I went to the TUT at the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco today. Many people commented on my DiacordG. All ask if I could still get film for it. The day will come but only when all or most film users die and then we will have the wonders of digital. But I won't know about it.

FrankS
02-07-2010, 15:52
How long before we get a "What Will the Last RFF Thread Be About?" thread?

It should be a poll. ;)

filmfan
02-07-2010, 15:53
I happen to like german breakfast...

dof
02-07-2010, 15:55
"Folks, I'm telling you,
birthing is hard
and dying is mean -
so get yourself
a little loving
in between."

— Langston Hughes

Yes, the death of all things is inevitable. Perhaps that's all the more reason to fully explore our unique passions during the short time we have here.

kuzano
02-07-2010, 16:00
I went to the TUT at the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco today. Many people commented on my DiacordG. All ask if I could still get film for it. The day will come but only when all or most film users die and then we will have the wonders of digital. But I won't know about it.

"No, I can't get film for it, but the darn thing is just an extension of me. I can't stop using it."

ruby.monkey
02-07-2010, 16:02
Since we're talking about mortality and film, my question is: what should I pack my coffin with?

Like the ancient Egyptians did, I plan to fill my coffin with worldly goods so I wont be bored in the afterlife.

I'm trying to decide: should I fill it with digital cameras, or film cameras and a couple hundred rolls of Tri-X? Also, should I bring some dev chemicals too? If I go digital, I'll have to bring a PC, and even a Honda Generator. Hmmm, lots of things to think about... :)
Party poppers, if you plan to be cremated.

johne
02-07-2010, 16:07
Roger HIcks,
German breakfast indeed!! That is so bad I will have to steal it. :-D
Johne

maddoc
02-07-2010, 16:09
"Brot, Käse, Wurst, Schinken, gekochtes Ei" .... that is. (German breakfast)

gb hill
02-07-2010, 16:13
Maybe, but I'm taking my gear with me. Somebody's gotta document what the hell is going on down there!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Aap_JVzY0eLytM:http://bydanielvictor.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/grimreaper.gif
Not me! I plan to go up in the rapture! 1Thessalonians 4:15,17. All the films thats passed on are waiting for me up there!:angel::)

charjohncarter
02-07-2010, 16:19
"No, I can't get film for it, but the darn thing is just an extension of me. I can't stop using it."

Thanks, I'll try that next time.

Pablito
02-07-2010, 16:24
Würst case scenario: no mustard!

charjohncarter
02-07-2010, 16:28
Würst case scenario: no mustard!

Is not that mustasa, or something like that. But very clever indeed.

JPresley
02-07-2010, 16:36
If you die you get to use expired film in heaven or digital sensors that have met their maker. There is an abundant supply of both.

If you go to the other place DO NOT USE CELLULOID FILM STOCK. It will explode.

If you are of a different religion you're probably stuck with digital. SD cards continuously reincarnate, just with different images.

srtiwari
02-07-2010, 16:42

Cheers,

R.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Furthermore, I don't want to know. It is people like you that spread rumors about stuff, and should be banned from public forums !

helenhill
02-07-2010, 16:46

OMG,
you are still getting 'Death Threats'....:(

MatthewThompson
02-07-2010, 16:47
Not me! I plan to go up in the rapture! 1Thessalonians 4:15,17. All the films thats passed on are waiting for me up there!:angel::)

What about the mailers for K64? Will the postage be un-stamped?

JPresley
02-07-2010, 16:48
If the Spanish made cameras no one would worry about these things.

The key is to start with a good breakfast. Choritzo and queso.

John Robertson
02-07-2010, 16:49

Cheers,

R.
My mother used to say that life is a terminal condition.:p

srtiwari
02-07-2010, 16:50
What about the mailers for K64? Will the postage be un-stamped?

No. They will be stamped. But here in the US we are able to buy stamps that never expire.

srtiwari
02-07-2010, 16:52
This is by far the "funnest" (not funnIest) thread I have read in a while !

bmattock
02-07-2010, 17:09

You may get your wish sooner than you think. And I prefer a Full English Breakfast, minus the fried tomatoes and mushrooms. They say the condemned eat a hearty meal.

Leigh Youdale
02-07-2010, 17:12
I'm not sure our lives do have a meaning, but it's worth taking Pascal's wager to the extent that it's worth living as if they do. Or, alternatively, as if we are social animals. I like the title of Kate Adie's autobiography: The Kindness of Strangers.

Cheers,

R.

You're a stirrer, Roger, but I do rather like the philosophy underlying your comment (above).
It softens the rather bleak perspective of the atheist in me without endorsing the superstitions of some others.

And now we'd better return to normal programming! :-)

Keith
02-07-2010, 17:34
If the Spanish made cameras no one would worry about these things.

The key is to start with a good breakfast. Choritzo and queso.

I have to confess to being a huge fan of the choritzo ... sadly I can't seem to get decent ones locally any more. :(

JPresley
02-07-2010, 17:38
I'm from Texas. We seemed to have better luck finding Spanish-style sausages close to Mexico than where I am now, Montreal.

JPresley
02-07-2010, 17:43
Now that I'm in Canada I'm trying to figure out what this Snowpocalypse thing down south is about. That brings up the question of what happens if the world ends in an ice age. Will film die first or digital? CCD chips have reduced noise when cold. On the other hand, electricity may fail as the glaciers grind south. And frozen film lasts longer.

antiquark
02-07-2010, 18:04
That brings up the question of what happens if the world ends in an ice age.

In that event, you can burn the film for some heat. Can't do the same with digital!

gnarayan
02-07-2010, 18:12
He wasn't wearing a suit and riding a bicycle per chance was he? :D

No, I'm the grad student with the bike but its too damn cold to use it right now.

Lousy colts.

-G.

p.s. re. the chorizo - you want the choripan. Local Argentinian store. Needs to get warmer to grill outside though.

alan davus
02-07-2010, 21:25
A friend said to me, "spend your money now, you can't take it with you", (we'd been talking about buying a M9). My reply, "I'm not going anywhere." So dying is not an option.

rbiemer
02-08-2010, 04:51
Personally, I'm just holdong out for the singularity. After that I'll only worry about the heat death of the universe. Come on Matrix!
Rob

August Derleth
02-08-2010, 05:35
In the USA, most authentic Chorizos are banned because of USDA regulations on the origin of pork and curing methods. The American-made commercial chorizos are disgusting because they are made with fillers, additives, chemical "starters" and other horrors.

They are just salty-tasting monstrosities, like expensive Slim-Jims.

There are some locally made chorizos which are not bad from local producers, but you can buy real Spanish chorizos which are pretty good and legally imported into the USA because they are made from Danish pork, which passes USDA regulations.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370139269312

The whole thing is ridiculous, but even in NYC one cannot buy decent European-made sausage or salumeria.

Most American-made cured meat, such as imitation Proscuitto, is horrible bordering on inedible.

wgerrard
02-08-2010, 05:45
My local Whole Foods sells an organic pork chorizo. Don't know how authentic it is, but it is definitely real cured sausage and not a spiced-up hot dog. Lots of shops around here sell an uncured spiced, red, pork sausage they label "Mexican chorizo".

SolaresLarrave
02-08-2010, 05:57
IIRC, "We're all going to die" are the words of Indiana Jones in his movie about the temple of doom, when he and Short Round, the Chinese kid, are trapped in a room that has a lowering ceiling... layered with sharp sticks.

Of course, Willie Scott (Kate Capshaw) came right on time to pull the secret lever that raised the ceiling and thus saved them from a certain death.

Thanks for the title, Roger. It made me remember the whole thing and put a smile to my face! :)

bmattock
02-08-2010, 06:23
In the USA, most authentic Chorizos are banned because of USDA regulations on the origin of pork and curing methods. The American-made commercial chorizos are disgusting because they are made with fillers, additives, chemical "starters" and other horrors.

They are just salty-tasting monstrosities, like expensive Slim-Jims.

There are some locally made chorizos which are not bad from local producers, but you can buy real Spanish chorizos which are pretty good and legally imported into the USA because they are made from Danish pork, which passes USDA regulations.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370139269312

The whole thing is ridiculous, but even in NYC one cannot buy decent European-made sausage or salumeria.

Most American-made cured meat, such as imitation Proscuitto, is horrible bordering on inedible.

KE2IV, is that you?

tbm
02-08-2010, 09:27
I don't care when I die at all. Using Leica cameras and lenses most of my life has enriched my life immensely, thanks to my father's inspiration when I was a kid with his Leica M2-R and M3 and 35mm and 50mm Summicrons. Thus, photography to me is the greatest here-and-now experience that exists, for it records the here-and-now brilliantly. Attached is a 50mm Summicron/Kodachrome 25 slide film image my father captured of me on the left and my sister next to me in 1958 in Northern California which inspired me greatly when I was young to eventually buy my own Leica equipment, and it did.

LeicaFoReVer
02-08-2010, 10:09
film can not die. Did you not see the thread about the films of a german pilot found, or that lady with rolleiflex whose shots were found and developed years after.

So after I die they will find the films I shot and my fame will live forever :)

Lilserenity
02-08-2010, 10:14
Yes we are.

But I'll have a bloody good go at having a good time while I'm scuffing the sodden soil :)

Jamie123
02-08-2010, 10:14
I have found no empirical evidence so far that I'm actually going to die.

Leigh Youdale
02-08-2010, 10:49
A friend said to me, "spend your money now, you can't take it with you", (we'd been talking about buying a M9). My reply, "I'm not going anywhere." So dying is not an option.

If you're married and you go buy that M9, you might find you're mistaken!

Roger Hicks
02-08-2010, 11:08
I don't care when I die at all. Using Leica cameras and lenses most of my life has enriched my life immensely, thanks to my father's inspiration when I was a kid with his Leica M2-R and M3 and 35mm and 50mm Summicrons. Thus, photography to me is the greatest here-and-now experience that exists, for it records the here-and-now brilliantly. Attached is a 50mm Summicron/Kodachrome 25 slide film image my father captured of me on the left and my sister next to me in 1958 in Northern California which inspired me greatly when I was young to eventually buy my own Leica equipment, and it did.

Beautiful. Thank you.

Of course you don't need a Leica for it: the truth holds good with a disposable too. Though it's true Leicas are nicer.

Cheers,

R.

johannielscom
02-08-2010, 11:37
To contribute: I'd like to end up as part of a work of art once I'm gone:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/3733352620_0c2d7c597d_o.jpg

tbm
02-08-2010, 11:38
Hey, Roger--I can't wait until I meet you next time you are in Los Angeles! I'll bring lots of my father's Leica images as well as my own and we can then laugh and enjoy the magic that Leica lenses produce!

Terry

funkpilz
02-08-2010, 12:01
Put it this way:
I am fully aware of the inevitability of my own death. My parents on the other hand, grown-ups, well-educated and well-read people, aren't. They believe they'll live forever. In my view, pessimism is better than ignorance.

Roger Hicks
02-08-2010, 12:02
Hey, Roger--I can't wait until I meet you next time you are in Los Angeles! I'll bring lots of my father's Leica images as well as my own and we can then laugh and enjoy the magic that Leica lenses produce!

Terry

Dear Terry,

I'll look forward to it. Don't hold your breath, though: Frances has no US passport at the moment.

Cheers,

R.

johne
02-08-2010, 12:48
Roger,
Interesting article. BTW, the article in the current Shutterbug is quite good. My compliments.
John

parsec1
02-08-2010, 12:49
I remember the name of a Bosun of the first commando assault ship I served on (quite some time ago) it was Higgs .I think (therefore I am ?)

Roger Hicks
02-08-2010, 12:59
I remember the name of a Bosun of the first commando assault ship I served on (quite some time ago) it was Higgs .I think (therefore I am ?)

Roll on the Large Hadron Collider. (A wonderful typo: I originally typed 'Large Hardon Collider'. Now we've hopelessly confused anyone who doesn't keep up to date with CERN.)

Cheers,

R.

MartinP
02-08-2010, 13:06
Boatswains and bosons (Higgs variety) . . . all in a thread in the general area of mortality. But when the collider thingy works, according to the tabloids, we will become a black-hole. I didn't quite get the physics behind those reports, but that was the gist of it. Sold a few more papers I suppose.

Roger Hicks
02-08-2010, 13:07
Boatswains and bosons (Higgs variety) . . . all in a thread in the general area of mortality. But when the collider thingy works, according to the tabloids, we will become a black-hole. I didn't quite get the physics behind those reports, but that was the gist of it. Sold a few more papers I suppose.

Dear Martin,

I think that WAS the physics behind it!

Cheers,

R.

parsec1
02-08-2010, 13:15
Roll on the Large Hadron Collider. (A wonderful typo: I originally typed 'Large Hardon Collider'. Now we've hopelessly confused anyone who doesn't keep up to date with CERN.)

Cheers,

R.

Whatever 'turns you on' Roger.
Very best.
Peter

MartinP
02-08-2010, 13:19
Dear Martin,

I think that WAS the physics behind it!

Cheers,

R.

Tsk, tsk. How very cynical - one might almost think you had worked in the industry . . .
;)

PS. I might be getting to Arles this year.

MaxElmar
02-08-2010, 13:27
I'm going to drink now... thanks, all.

John Robertson
02-08-2010, 16:22
Todie or tomorrow its all the same.

robklurfield
02-08-2010, 16:23
likely to be on my tombstone: "All Dressed Up and No Place to Go."

My wife insists that she will not bury me behind the house per my request. She worries that some future homeowner might accidentally dig me up.

I was all for cremation until recently when it seemed to me to be an awful waste of energy. Apparently, no jurisdiction anywhere near where I live will let you be planted in the ground without first buying a box. Such a silly waste unless you're leaving your heirs stock in a mortuary conglomerate.

I have negatives and slides that survived a flood or two. They will likely outlast me. Any of you who also outlast me, should dance atop my grave and enjoy a good single malt while you're doing it (I gave that up, the whiskey, that is).

John Robertson
02-08-2010, 16:29
I will happily enjoy a single malt on anyone's grave as long as I can filter it through my bladder first.

Leigh Youdale
02-08-2010, 17:10
Todie or tomorrow its all the same.

How come you've got an Australian accent? Sound the sime as me!

FrankS
02-08-2010, 18:39
Today is a fine day to die.

A saying attributed to Japanese samurai.
The idea is to live your life so that you can say this, whenever the time comes, without reservation.

bmattock
02-08-2010, 19:48

The idea is to live your life so that you can say this, whenever the time comes, without reservation.

I think it's a fine day for somebody. Me, not so much. Check with me tomorrow. Better yet, next week. Really. Call my people, we'll do lunch.

parsec1
02-09-2010, 01:37

Wasn't that also said by Sitting Bull to 'General Custer' at at the Little Big Horn.
( ok.... to all my American history friends I understand Custer was a Lt Colonel with the 7th at the time)

SimonSawSunlight
02-09-2010, 01:58
Wurst-Käse !!!

that made my day, you're the man. :D :D :D

Sparrow
02-09-2010, 02:11
Wasn't that also said by Sitting Bull to 'General Custer' at at the Little Big Horn.
( ok.... to all my American history friends I understand Custer was a Lt Colonel with the 7th at the time)

Dustin Hoffman’s adopted farther in Little Big Man definitely said it, do’no about the others.

The 7th were also mounted infantry not cavalry iirc, sort of latter-day hussars, rode into position but fought on foot

parsec1
02-09-2010, 06:56
Dustin Hoffman’s adopted farther in Little Big Man definitely said it, do’no about the others.

The 7th were also mounted infantry not cavalry iirc, sort of latter-day hussars, rode into position but fought on foot

Yes I understand that but didn't want to cause too much confusion.

As you seem interested perhaps you know of John Fords (IMHO) brilliant 'Cavalry Trilogy' and the famous ' lightning scene' in 'Yellow Ribbon'

Quite a surprise to visit the 5th Cavalry web site the unit on which the films were based. Moto now is 'From Sabres to Satellites '.

Regards
Peter.

Sparrow
02-09-2010, 07:19
Yes I understand that but didn't want to cause too much confusion.

As you seem interested perhaps you know of John Fords (IMHO) brilliant 'Cavalry Trilogy' and the famous ' lightning scene' in 'Yellow Ribbon'

Quite a surprise to visit the 5th Cavalry web site the unit on which the films were based. Moto now is 'From Sabres to Satellites '.

Regards
Peter.

I do tend to spread confusion ;) … I learned that bit of trivia from one of Macdonald Fraser’s Flashman books I believe.

Sorry I don’t know the films, I do know about the 5th cavalry from the Pacific and Korean wars, and they will, obviously, be a more senior regiment than the 7th

parsec1
02-09-2010, 07:59
I do tend to spread confusion ;) … I learned that bit of trivia from one of Macdonald Fraser’s Flashman books I believe.

Sorry I don’t know the films, I do know about the 5th cavalry from the Pacific and Korean wars, and they will, obviously, be a more senior regiment than the 7th

I'm not that difficult to confuse .... ask the 'Mrs'.

One last bit of trivia before I go and polish my octagonal barelled Henry
There is no official or otherwise record in American history of a 'Wagon Train' forming a circle to defend itself against the 'Native Americans'.
Safety in numbers the Wagon Trains were mostly at least 20 miles long.

Such is the power of Hollywood to confuse

Now got to go find me bit of four by two and the tin of oil

Regards
Peter:confused:

wgerrard
02-09-2010, 08:15
"Laager" is an Afrikaans word referring to the practice of Afrikaner settlers in South Africa of placing livestock inside a circle formed by wagons, giving the animals some protection overnight from predators. Today, in the country, it's used in the same colloquial context as "circling the wagons'

I'd think wagons could not maneuver fast enough on typical terrain to form an effective defensive circle. And, as Peter said, many American wagon trains were just too long.

Sparrow
02-09-2010, 08:20
I'm not that difficult to confuse .... ask the 'Mrs'.

One last bit of trivia before I go and polish my octagonal barelled Henry
There is no official or otherwise record in American history of a 'Wagon Train' forming a circle to defend itself against the 'Native Americans'.
Safety in numbers the Wagon Trains were mostly at least 20 miles long.

Such is the power of Hollywood to confuse

Now got to go find me bit of four by two and the tin of oil

Regards
Peter:confused:

I succeeded again; I should have typed Dragoon anyway.

You’ll need a bit bigger than 2x4 for that beast me thinks

Sparrow
02-09-2010, 08:31
"Laager" is an Afrikaans word referring to the practice of Afrikaner settlers in South Africa of placing livestock inside a circle formed by wagons, giving the animals some protection overnight from predators. Today, in the country, it's used in the same colloquial context as "circling the wagons'

I'd think wagons could not maneuver fast enough on typical terrain to form an effective defensive circle. And, as Peter said, many American wagon trains were just too long.

there is a stone enclosure/sculpture at the Voortrekker monument (south Africa) depicting just that

Roger Hicks
02-09-2010, 09:52
Tsk, tsk. How very cynical - one might almost think you had worked in the industry . . .
;)

PS. I might be getting to Arles this year.

Dear Martin,

Hope so!

Cheers,

R.

funkpilz
02-09-2010, 11:03
likely to be on my tombstone: "All Dressed Up and No Place to Go."Hey, that's what I want on my tomb stone!

acheyj
02-09-2010, 13:50
Naah. Spike Milligan' was better.
"I told you I was sick"

ron

sfb_dot_com
02-09-2010, 14:34
'There are no dead' - Doris Lessing: Canopus in Argus Series

There's always been something to worry about. Wasn't it the year 2012 for the Mayans? (Oh bugger he whispers quietly) For us it's global warming. Was a lot warmer in the Cretaceous.

Andy

Silva Lining
02-09-2010, 15:13
'There are no dead' - Doris Lessing: Canopus in Argus Series

There's always been something to worry about. Wasn't it the year 2012 for the Mayans? (Oh bugger he whispers quietly) For us it's global warming. Was a lot warmer in the Cretaceous.

Andy

Yeah, all those dino steaks on the Barbeque! Ended with a bit of a bang though!

back alley
02-09-2010, 15:32
w.c. fields tombstone reads...'all things considered, i'd rather be in philadelphia'

Jim-st
02-09-2010, 15:42
IIRC, "We're all going to die" are the words of Indiana Jones in his movie about the temple of doom, when he and Short Round, the Chinese kid, are trapped in a room that has a lowering ceiling... layered with sharp sticks. )

Yeah but he got it from Country Joe : "Whoopee! We're all gonna die"

Anyone round here young enough to remember the Fish Cheer?

wgerrard
02-09-2010, 15:43
w.c. fields tombstone reads...'all things considered, i'd rather be in philadelphia'

Dunno here W.C. is, but it must be really awful. ;)

FrankS
02-09-2010, 15:46
Jim, is it:
And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
next stop is Viet Nam.

xayraa33
02-09-2010, 16:11
Just check the photos of the Shorpy website. Most have images of long dead people.
And the beauty is that no one ever seems to complain that they are dead.
Greatfully dead, long time dead, restfully dead.

http://www.shorpy.com/

Jim-st
02-10-2010, 00:37
Jim, is it:
And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
next stop is Viet Nam.

The Fish Cheer was a little thing Country Joe used to do at festivals. Went like this:

Joe: "Gimme an f!"
Crowd: F!!!
Joe: "Gimme a u!"
Crowd: U!!!
etc, etc
Joe: "Whatsat spell!"
Crowd: F***!!!

Simple pleasures, back in the day...

And don't start me on the Grateful ones, xayraa33. What was the question: "We're all going to be Dead Heads??" Sorry, Roger ;)

Film dino
02-10-2010, 01:34
The film v digital "debate" is like the Jewish momma who bought her son 2 ties for his birthday- he dresses up for a hot date,
wearing one of the ties & she says "Whatsa matter- you don''t like the other one?"

sfb_dot_com
02-10-2010, 03:00
Yeah, all those dino steaks on the Barbeque! Ended with a bit of a bang though!

Actually, that reminds me. Aren't all the scientists convinced that a really big Asteroid is going to hit the Earth sometime soon?
So we really are all going to die :angel:

Andy

Roger Hicks
02-10-2010, 06:20
And don't start me on the Grateful ones, xayraa33. What was the question: "We're all going to be Dead Heads??" Sorry, Roger ;)
Dear Jim,

Nae bother! Thread drift is one of the pleasures of a good forum.

My recollection of CJ&TF was "We're all fixing to die."

But as they say, if you can remember the 60s, you weren't there.

Cheers,

R.

ErnestoJL
02-10-2010, 07:38
Is there any good reason why should we be dead at sometime?
I´m getting older, but nothing shows I´m steplessly dying...

Ernesto

wgerrard
02-10-2010, 13:45
I´m getting older, but nothing shows I´m steplessly dying.

Per rumor, it often comes on suddenly.

Roger Hicks
02-11-2010, 11:30
I´m getting older, but nothing shows I´m steplessly dying...

Ernesto

Dear Ernesto,

Give it time...

Quote from The Goon Show:

"He's dropped dead!"

-- "Funny, he's never done that before."

Cheers,

R.

ErnestoJL
02-12-2010, 15:28
Dear Ernesto,

Give it time...

Quote from The Goon Show:

"He's dropped dead!"

-- "Funny, he's never done that before."

Cheers,

R.

Nice Roger! Thank you very much for your post.

Not kidding now, getting older is the main reason why I decided to make my first exhibition after 47 years of shooting (not continuosly). I´m planning the second for august 2010.

Cheers
Ernesto

Roger Hicks
02-13-2010, 01:15
Nice Roger! Thank you very much for your post.

Not kidding now, getting older is the main reason why I decided to make my first exhibition after 47 years of shooting (not continuosly). I´m planning the second for august 2010.

Cheers
Ernesto

Dear Ernesto,

Congratulations!

Where's the next one (the one in August)?

Cheers,

R.

ErnestoJL
02-13-2010, 03:24
Roger:
Most probably the second exhibition will take place in the same gallery as the first, it is the Simik´s Museum of Photography in Buenos Aires (http://museofotograficosimik.com/) because I´m a member of the museum´s group of "insane people" who still use old cameras (even those wood made) and film/plates to shoot. This is a privately owned museum (the only photography museum in Argentina) with a collection of 2000+ cameras and daguerrotypes, ferrotypes and old pictures from all the country.
BTW, the exact date is yet to be confirmed.

Cheers

Ernesto

dee
02-15-2010, 03:51
I can't even be dead on time ...

mad mike
03-15-2010, 13:10
I am reminded of the tale of the fire and brimstone preacher in rural Ireland.on In a sermon on the inevitability of death he repeatedly shouted the phrase "Every man n this parish is going to die" but was much annoyed by man in the front row with a smug expression.
Eventually he confronted the man and enquired as to the reason for his smugness-
"very simple"said the man,"I don't live in this parish!"

Roger Hicks
03-15-2010, 13:14
I am reminded of the tale of the fire and brimstone preacher in rural Ireland.on In a sermon on the inevitability of death he repeatedly shouted the phrase "Every man n this parish is going to die" but was much annoyed by man in the front row with a smug expression.
Eventually he confronted the man and enquired as to the reason for his smugness-
"very simple"said the man,"I don't live in this parish!"

Dear Mike,

Wonderful!

Thanks,

R.

paulfish4570
03-15-2010, 13:24
our bodies are ... :)