PDA

View Full Version : battery/GN flash confusion

Nearsighted
01-22-2010, 06:06
Hi,
I recently purchased a nifty little black Oly 35 EC. The batteries (2) needed for this camera are this 1.35 volt mercury type outlawed in the US.

Question #1. Is it true that 1.55 volt silver oxcide batteries can be used instead of the 1.35 volt but you have to adjust for the higher voltage by two stops. Like for 400 speed film you would set the ASA setting to 100. Does this sound correct?

Question #2. With the flashmatic "GN" system on this camera, would you set the guide number for the film you are using, or for the compensated ASA setting on the camera?

I hope someone out there understands my questions.

David Hughes
02-01-2010, 04:03
Hi, I think the 35 EC takes 2 PX 640's (this is my guess based on the size of the battery compartment). I've used RM 640's (or A 640's or LR 52's) and they work OK. But the age of the meter may compensate for the higher voltage...

You can get an adapter called a MR 52 from that well-known and loved company, viz:
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_mr52_adapter.htm

By the way, have you an instruction manual for the camera? I'd love to see a scan of the specification sheet showing the battery etc.

Regards, David

sevo
02-01-2010, 05:46
The GN coupling is purely mechanical, you'd enter the GN for your film.