PDA

View Full Version : Left or Right Eye

That Guy
06-30-2005, 14:45
Got into a discussion with a friend of last weekend about holding the camera. He thought it was strange that I use my left eye in the viewfinder. So that got me to thinking, most of the self portraits I've seen from the folks here are right eyed. So which are you. I know a lot of people use both, but which eye do you look through the viewfinder with?

David Kieltyka
06-30-2005, 17:09
I'm comfortable using either eye. I usually go with the right one since camera designers assume everyone is right eyed (and right handed).

I'm also ambidextrous. :cool:

-Dave-

canonetc
06-30-2005, 17:20
Lefty. Is it a left-mind, right-mind thing...? :)

chris
canonetc

JoeFriday
06-30-2005, 17:45
I naturally hold the camera up to my left eye, but I'm actually right eye dominant.. of course, my weirdness doesn't end there.. I'm right handed, but I kick with my left foot

Krasnaya_Zvezda
06-30-2005, 18:48
Right-eyed, left-handed, left-eared, two left feet...

Gabriel M.A.
06-30-2005, 20:13
I think it's too early to tell with only 14 votes in, but I'm very surprised to see an even split, 50-50% I thought you right-handed people owned the world with your right-handed can openers, right-handed mice (for computers), right-handed camera viewfinders and controls, right-handed, well, everything except the Nintendo game controls and the stick shift of your car if you're in Japan, the UK or some other odd-ball former commonwealth nation.

FrankS
06-30-2005, 20:23
I'm left-eye dominant due to a vision problem with my right eye. I leave a greasy nose-print on the middle of the camera back all the time. I'm right-handed but shoot left with a hockey stick and golf clubs. Each eye sends signals to both halves of the brain, (so it's not a left eye to the right side of the brain deal.)

cp_ste.croix
06-30-2005, 20:26
left eye dominant, but i only use my left eye when the VF with my right eye is a little hard to see through (into sun, glare, flare, tired right eye, etc) It's just so awkward to shoot with my left eye...stupid nose.

mikule
06-30-2005, 20:54
I'm right handed, and I've always used my left eye in the view finder - and have never really thought about it until this forum. More so when people talk about being able to use both eyes when composing with a 50mm viewfinder.
It'll be interesting to see the results once the tally is around the 50 vote mark. Does anyone know how much it can affect paralax error on the older RF cameras, ie the FSU Leica copies, and the old Leica III (I think it's them, I'm still new).
I know I feel more comfortable with my left eye, because I don't have to squint my right closed. Where as I havn't quite mastered the art of squinting my left eye and being able to clearly see through the viewfinder of my FED 5B with my open right eye.

pvdhaar
06-30-2005, 21:32
I'm left eye dominant, even though my right eye vision is sharper.

I tried to switch to my right eye when I started using Hexars (both the AF and RF have the viewfinder at the extreme left of the body), but it just wouldn't work.

pvdhaar
06-30-2005, 21:38
Now that I've seen the votes (12 left/9 right at this moment in time), this makes me wonder whether the propensity for rangefinder cameras is related to left eye dominance?

For those not in the know, the left eye is connected to the brain half on the right which is the basis for emotions/creativity/inspiration. While the left hemisphere (right eye) is associated with logic/language/rationalism..

FrankS
06-30-2005, 21:52
As for eye/brain physiology: the left field of view of both the right and left eye is carried to the right side of the brain, and the right field of view of both the right and left eye is carried to the left side of the brain. The optic nerves of each eye splits and carries signals from both eyes to both halves of the brain. (Degree in biology, including human anatomy)

stet
06-30-2005, 22:07
I'm a righty and checked off for my right eye, but I switch sides for different things. I naturally skateboard (or do any boardsports, for that matter) with my right-leg forward, or goofy-footed, but when I boxed I led with my left (theoretical power sides flopped).

And one night bowling I very proudly hit a left-handed strike.

pvdhaar
06-30-2005, 23:04
As for eye/brain physiology: the left field of view of both the right and left eye is carried to the right side of the brain, and the right field of view of both the right and left eye is carried to the left side of the brain. The optic nerves of each eye splits and carries signals from both eyes to both halves of the brain. (Degree in biology, including human anatomy)

Hi Frank,

I had definately cut some corners there, and it's good to see that you could fill out the details :)

glchua
07-01-2005, 00:00
I'm right handed, and I've always used my left eye in the view finder - and have never really thought about it until this forum. More so when people talk about being able to use both eyes when composing with a 50mm viewfinder.
It'll be interesting to see the results once the tally is around the 50 vote mark. Does anyone know how much it can affect paralax error on the older RF cameras, ie the FSU Leica copies, and the old Leica III (I think it's them, I'm still new).
I know I feel more comfortable with my left eye, because I don't have to squint my right closed. Where as I havn't quite mastered the art of squinting my left eye and being able to clearly see through the viewfinder of my FED 5B with my open right eye.

Similarly I shoot left eye also because I don't have to close my right eye. I started out photography with my right eye but trained myself to shoot with my left after a while for the above reason. Quite tiring to squint the eye even for a short time.

TPPhotog
07-01-2005, 00:07
I just tried using mine left eyed and my big nose got in the way, so looks like I'm 100% right eyed :D

RML
07-01-2005, 00:09
Right eye, but now I wanna try to shoot with left. :)

berci
07-01-2005, 00:29
Right eye and big (enormous monster) nose here. Frank is right about the wireing of our eyes into our rf biased brains.

suzums
07-01-2005, 00:30
I'm surprised that we have a tie right now! :D

cameramanic
07-01-2005, 00:56
Left eye, Right handed. (i would give my right arm to be Ambidextrous )

That Guy
07-01-2005, 10:56
Wow! I'm truly suprised to see so many people voting left eye. And here I thought I was goofy-eyed or something...

nikon_sam
07-01-2005, 21:41
Left eye, right hand...I can't remember ever shooting with my right eye.
Left eye with SLR, RF or TLR but I do use both with a 4x5 although my left eye will be the final judge of the shot.
My son shoots with his right eye, my daughter with her left. We recently had this same discussion...

2maneekameras
07-01-2005, 23:56
left eyed, right handed, left footed. I bought a moskva 5 just to get a camera set up for left eyed VF

rbiemer
07-02-2005, 07:19
I'm left eye dominant because of vision problems in my right eye. I shoot handguns right handed cuz that's where the controls usually are. I golf and bat lefty cuz it feels more natural.
Rob

Socke
07-02-2005, 07:37
Right eyed, although I'm more and more short and farsighted on that eye :-(

back alley
07-02-2005, 10:54
have you seen my photos?

i usually keep BOTH eyes closed when shooting!
;)joe

elcud35rc
11-10-2005, 03:58
Left eye. Its just easier to view and it blocks my right eye when composing pictures.

ClaremontPhoto
11-25-2005, 11:18
Left eye.

Wish it was right eye and I could frame with one eye, and keep an overview with the other.

Pherdinand
11-25-2005, 11:31
both! when using the rolleiflex:)

DougK
11-25-2005, 11:58
Right eye here. I'm very much right-handed; the only things I routinely do left-handed are hit a baseball and play hockey.

Beniliam
11-25-2005, 12:48
Left eye!!

vrgard
11-25-2005, 13:21
I'm right-handed but left eye dominant.

ClaremontPhoto
11-26-2005, 22:50
I'm naturally left eye, but trying to use right eye with my rangefinder so I can have my left eye scoping around outside the frame.

hugivza
11-26-2005, 23:34
Right handed left eyed - sounds wierd"!

JohnL
11-27-2005, 00:41
Rather surprised to see that a small majority in the poll is left-eye

Doug
11-27-2005, 11:58
Right handed left eyed - sounds wierd"!Called "cross-dominant", seems not really uncommon...

Doug
11-27-2005, 12:09
Rather surprised to see that a small majority in the poll is left-eyeI'm right-handed but left-eyed... Left-eye dominant shooters are analyzing the scene with their right brain, which is said to be the more creative side. Seems to make sense and be an advantage for the visual arts...

While I've always been left-eye dominant, a couple years ago my left eye suffered from ever-worsening vision due to a forming cataract. So I was forced to switch to right-eye shooting.

I have not noticed any great change in the quality of my photos in that period, though close analysis may show a difference... I'll have to look at that!

Anyway, as a result of "re-training" to use my right eye, it has become habit to do so even now after the cararact problem has been resolved. Casual tests show I'm still slightly left-eye dominant but I'm usually more comfortable with the camera at my right eye due to that eye having better distant vision.

brightsky
11-27-2005, 19:46
Right eye dominant, right handed. I tried using my left eye once and I couldn't stand it.

I usually have both eyes open when I shoot. Anyone else?

sf
12-04-2005, 23:17
right handed, shoot with my left eye - left eye dominant. And my left eye has lots of floaters. Big ones from cutting metal and wood. Or something. Who knows. But it is also my better eye. Good old righty is warped.

Frank Granovski
12-04-2005, 23:57
I always use my left eye, because it feels right---though I forgot which one's lazy. Oh, and I'm right-handed. :)

JonB
12-05-2005, 14:34
Left eyed. (Right handed.) Held my camera up to my right eye, and the world went dark. Moved the camera around a bit. Finally pulled it away from my face, closed my left eye, and carefully pulled the viewfinder to my right eye. Much better. Still don't think it'll work, though.

nomade
12-07-2005, 07:28
I'm a leftie although my right eye is better, but i guess it has nothing to do with it...

lkgroup
12-07-2005, 08:08
I'm right eyed, but my brother in law is left eyed. He kept hitting himself in the heard with the film advance so he got a motor drive to solve the problem.

leo

rover
02-24-2006, 10:11
I'm surprised that we have a tie right now! :D

Left eyed is in the lead now. Lots of nose smudges on the backs of our cameras.

sf
02-24-2006, 12:00
Left eye because my right eye is worthless for focusing - can barely read out of it.

Talisker
02-24-2006, 12:07
Right eyed, but will shoot with left if it gets the camera in the best position...

dhartse
02-24-2006, 13:04
Left eye, right handed. I used to use my right eye, but glaucoma has slowly been stealing the vision there, while my left eye seems to be holding pretty steady. It's finally gotten to the point where it's easier to see out of my left eye, and I made a conscious decision to switch. Actually, this question has made me realize that not only does my left eye see more clearly (which I knew), it's also actually switched to being my dominant eye. Weird. Anyway, it still took effort to break the habit of raising the camera to my right eye.

Duane

Andy K
03-04-2006, 12:50
What about your mind's eye?

Doug
03-04-2006, 13:23
What about your mind's eye?That's often either "left behind" or "right up-front". :D

amateriat
03-08-2006, 20:21
I'm left eye dominant, even though my right eye vision is sharper.

I tried to switch to my right eye when I started using Hexars (both the AF and RF have the viewfinder at the extreme left of the body), but it just wouldn't work.
This brought a smile to my face. I've long been right-eye dominant (and right-handed, including shooting pool), but the switch to shooting rangefinders almost full-time the last four years has been interesting, especially with rangefinders (Hexar RFs) which can be used with equal aplomb with either eye. I do shoot left-eyed once in a great while (side note: I actually believe I have a noticeable color temperature differential between my left and right eye), simply because I can with the cameras currently in use.

- Barrett

bmattock
03-13-2006, 16:27
This is weird. I didn't know. I had to hold a camera up to my eye to see. I shoot with my right eye, and I am right-handed. How boring.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

mike_j
03-21-2006, 10:53
Left eye and no problems on rangefinders. I find that on my dSLR (OK I'll pay the appropriate penance) I keep altering the focus point with my nose touching the cursor ring.

I tried right eye on a Leica MP because you are supposed to be able to blend the images somehow but it didn't work for me.

Pherdinand
03-21-2006, 11:23
The site works so slow that until it loads I forget what i wanted to say.

Pherdinand
03-21-2006, 11:25
Oh i know now.

Sometimes i think if i would keep both eyes closed the shot would come out at least as good.

Rafael
04-13-2006, 11:28
I'm naturally left eye, but trying to use right eye with my rangefinder so I can have my left eye scoping around outside the frame.

I use my right eye for the same reason.

Iggy
04-13-2006, 12:04
Right-eyed & right handed. My left eye is much poorer than my right. That`s got me thinking... If I`d been left-eyed all of these years would my right eye have ended up duff instead?:confused: Staring at the back of a camera, too close to focus on anything, for what amounts to thousands of hours, is asking for trouble.
Everything else I can think of is "left" for me. Leg, side of the road I drive, side I dress & politics.
Much better than the right-thinking & right-minded who most politicians seem to speak for. But I digress.

Grober
04-14-2006, 10:39
Despite many years of Leica shooting I didn't think about the fact that my left eye was dominant until an Army Reserve pistol range instructor called it out one day.

I'm decidedly right-handed but definitely left-eyed when aiming either Leica or Beretta products.

(No, the shooting instructor couldn't improve my aim much. Remember: Uncle Sam buys small arms from the l-o-w-e-s-t not the best bidder.)

-g

dnk512
04-14-2006, 10:41
I use either eye, but I prefer the left one.

cameosis
04-14-2006, 11:54
i'm ambivisual.

Gary Sandhu
04-14-2006, 12:16
right eye on the M3 with left eye open. Right eye on SLR's.

tkluck
04-14-2006, 12:17
Only the left eye works.
Any body want to split a pair of binoculars?
Whats the big deal with 3-D movies anyway?

jon_flanders
04-16-2006, 11:23
Left eye, I have bad floaters in the right.

rogue_designer
07-26-2006, 21:05
right eye in general.. especially with the Canon P since I can keep both open and just float the framelines over what I'm seeing. Love that 1:1 viewfinder.

Nachkebia
08-08-2006, 13:40
Left eye here!