PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a print swap?

alansoon
06-27-2005, 21:34
Are you forumers interested in a print swap? There's a wealth of wonderful talent here and I would love to have some of your prints on my wall.

Perhaps we can set up a special gallery and have photogs who are interested in participating upload the pictures they have on offer. Perhaps 3 prints each.

Photogs will provide information about the print -- paper, methods, size, etc. -- so we all know what we're getting.

What say you?

alansoon
06-27-2005, 21:46
photo.net had member-organized print swap recently. Here's how it was set up:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CVSP

RML
06-27-2005, 21:56
I could be interested in offering prints for swap if deskjet/inkjet prints are OK. I don't have a darkroom and I don't do/have never done any darkroom printing (and no plans to start now).

So, for now I vote "not yet"....

denishr
06-28-2005, 00:09
Hmmm, that could be interesting... I mean, I don't think my darkroom skills are that good, but I think I can produce at least a satisfactory print...
It would be nice to have a print of some of the photos I've seen in the gallery on the wall :)
Yeah, as long as we don't have to mat them. The shipping would be a problem, and I don't think the recipients would get them in one piece :(

Denis

Roman
06-28-2005, 01:09
Sounds interesting. Maybe we should limit the size to something like 18x24cm, to make shipping easier & safer?

Roman

alansoon
06-28-2005, 01:22
Well, I guess we can decide on the rules as we go along. But here are a few:

- photos must be at least 8 inches lengthwise.

- photos must be printed either through the traditional silver process, or digital -- as long as they are archival. photos can be printed at a local lab if a darkroom or home digital darkroom isn't available.

- photos must be shipped in stiff mailing tubes/solid envelopes that can't be bent.

What do you folks think?

Heath
06-28-2005, 01:43
Sounds good. I think I may have some good prints soon that were taken with my Grafles (still have not developed the test roll).

Heath

T_om
06-28-2005, 08:58
Are you forumers interested in a print swap? There's a wealth of wonderful talent here and I would love to have some of your prints on my wall.

Perhaps we can set up a special gallery and have photogs who are interested in participating upload the pictures they have on offer. Perhaps 3 prints each.

Photogs will provide information about the print -- paper, methods, size, etc. -- so we all know what we're getting.

What say you?

I have participated in and organized these in the past. I would caution against the "posting in a gallery and letting people choose" method of distribution.

Here is what I found worked best:

1. SMALL group. Limit the initial round to, say, 10 or no more than 20 participants.

2. Prints are decided by the luck of the draw, not from "choosing" who you want to swap with. If you like a particular person that much, just contact him/her directly and ask to swap a print. The method I used in the past was to literally put everyone's name in a hat and draw them out one at a time, pairing people up as we went along.

3. Decide early on if it is to be international (my preference) or a swap between those in one's own country only. If international EVERYONE must agree so as to leave no one out because a shipper decides international postage is too high.

4. Print size determined by having a 'minimum shortest side' rule. 8 inches works well. However, this in no way means you are limited to the shortest dimension, larger is OK.

5. Since this is the "Rangefinder" print swap, it would make sense to me to limit the shots to those taken by rangefinder cameras, but that would be up to the participants.

6. Print methods. This is a sticky point. Most people, me included, would prefer lab or wet darkroom prints to inkjet. But whatever print method is allowed, make it clear from the first.

7. Decide upon mounted or prints only. The last print swap I participated in required mounted prints and it worked well. The proper way to sign a print mounted on museum board, for example, is in pencil on the board (not the print) near the lower right hand corner. If the participants decide against mounted prints, then the standard signing area is in the print border, again in pencil, front right. Signing the reverse is also considered acceptable. Signing the front in Sharpie Marker or Gel Pen is considered gauche.

8. The group members names and swap mates WILL be posted back here and everyone will be encouraged to post when the swap is completed. If you fail to send a print after saying you would... then the hiss of the world upon you and we will move on. That person would also be excluded from any further swaps. Publicly and permanently.

9. MOST IMPORTANTLY, have a deadline. Here is what we did... Once people are notified of their swap partner, they had 10 days to get the print in the mail. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you can't meet the deadline, don't participate.

I will probably regret this, but if you need volunteers to help out, I will volunteer.

Tom

rbiemer
06-28-2005, 09:39
My feeling is "not yet". I think this is a great idea but I'm still trying to get a lab I like for any thing after my initial processing. So I won't attempt this yet. I hope to have my lab/darkroom issue sorted by the fall and then I would be happy to particpate(assuming anyone actaully wants any of my photos--but that's another story).
hope you folks get this going!
Rob

Penguin_101
06-28-2005, 10:14
JMO:

- If the photo looks good, then it shouldn't matter what camera was used.
- If you are going to want to print the photo on an inkjet (like me), then you should trade with another inkjet user. I think this would be fair (lab to lab, inkjet to inkject, darkroom ... ect).

Oh,
I think to keep shipping costs low, everyone should trade within their country or region. If there are people that are the only member here in their country or region, people should go on a list for international trades.

stet
06-28-2005, 11:18
I just clicked my 'yes' vote. T_om's suggestions, as well as his preferences, sound good with me, although I'd rather use a mailing tube instead of sending/receiving matted prints. I would be interested in trading a wet print, international, from an RF.

alansoon
06-28-2005, 11:39
T_om's ideas are good. I'll keep this thread going for the rest of the week so that other people can chip in with their ideas on the rules. We'll take it from there.

tetrisattack
06-28-2005, 11:45
I'm all over this! My usual prints are unmatted 8x10 RC's, which I'd love to send to somebody.

USPS has a stiff flat rate priority mail envelope that looks 8x10ish for $3.40.

alansoon
06-28-2005, 11:54
Tetrisattack, I'd love to have your prints! You've got some amazing stuff in your gallery. If hope you'll offer these for swapping. They're awesome.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/1929/U1929I1117576362.SEQ.0.jpg

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/1929/U1929I1119306965.SEQ.0.jpg

titrisol
06-28-2005, 11:59
8x10s RCs good idea!

JamesW
06-28-2005, 12:30
I would be interested, with a few caveats:

1) I only have the resources to print up to unmounted 8 x 10 RC at the moment (wet darkroom). I could possibly find someone/somewhere to mount them.

2) As a new convert to RFs I don't have that many images taken with them.

3) I'm nowhere near as good as some of you guys!

Though this would really be a good way to make myself take more time making a print I'm truly happy with.

Roman
06-28-2005, 15:31
I'd be interested - with a few caveats:

-) print sizes/paper sizes vary between countries - 8x10" (roughly, 20x25cm) is very uncommon in Europe, we use either 18x24 or 24x30cm as the closest approximate;
-) I think, deadlines shoud not be too short - 2 weeks minimum, I'd say (I guess I'm not the only one who does not have a permanent darkroom, so I print 'in spurts' every 2 months or so - but then always like 3 or 4 days on end).
-) I personally only do wet-darkroom-prints, but I would actually be interested what you can get from a first-rate digital print-out (on good paper, monochrome inks, etc.), so 'mixed-media-swapping' would be OK with me.
-) How do you guys feel about 'non-straight' prints? I personally love to mess around with lith-printing, toning, etc., and often like the results better than my 'straight' B&W prints...

Roman

tetrisattack
06-28-2005, 20:42
Alansoon:
Wow, thanks for that comment. :)
The kids at the fountain print is easily doable. I've printed it 8x10, wrote down the specs, can easily print it again. The second one is trickier, I've only tried to print it once at 5x7 but had a hard time getting the chalk heart to stand out as much as I'd like. Still identifiable though. I'll try again at 8x10.

Roman: Print size variations shouldn't matter too much, so long as they're in the 8x10 league. I'd opt for the smaller of the two sizes you mentioned, to potentially save on international shipping. So long as I can admire it from three feet away.
Digital prints would be okay if they're top-drawer, but I would prefer to trade for a wet print since that's what I'd be sending out. I don't doubt that one can get bang-on digital b&w prints especially with quadtone inkjet, and I would gladly accept one. The minilabs, though, the ones who print onto RGB paper with a slight magenta or green cast, those are tacky unless you can get them to re-calibrate the machine just for you. I know one lab tech who says this is possible provided his customers bring him cookies or beer.
I'd be fine with a lith print, and I'd be excited for a toned print or any alt-process. I can't offer much back though, I still haven't tried toning.

I don't think this should be limited to darkroom printers or photographers with great experience, the more people swapping prints the better.

And I just checked the USPS's website: airmail to japan from the States, 2oz envelope, 4-7 days, is less than $2.

egpj
06-28-2005, 21:06
I could do that. But only using the inkjet. I have an Epson R2400 and it will print up to 11 x 17 (28 x 43). They say the new K3 inks will last up to 200 years.

The only problem is what someone would want. Definitely not pro here.

blakley
06-28-2005, 22:43
I organized the most recent Leica Forum print swap over on Photo.net.

I adopted (mostly) the rules wisely set by Roger Michel, who organized the previous round. They were designed to maximize participation and let people express themselves in their own way.

Basically, the rules were:

1. Shortest paper dimension 8 inches
2. Choose your medium - B&W paper, color paper, or inkjet, but use a "suitably archival" process & materials.
3. Prints processed by a lab or by the photographer are both acceptable
4. Sender chooses the print
5. Swap organizer randomizes the participants to determine who sends to whom
6. Prints should be signed - on print, on matte, or on back
7. Package prints carefully to assure delivery in good condition - trackable shipping preferred but not required
8. No geographical segmentation (this was adopted because some folks would end up with very limited swap population, but it is problematic because it means some folks do pay more than others for shipping, and customs etc.. need to be taken into account)

The swap over on Photo.net has been a big success so far, and I think a swap here would be fantastic too. I would be very happy to participate - but I'll be out of range for about two weeks so I hope it won't start immediately.

Roman
06-29-2005, 02:05
Same here- I'll be out of town for all of next week, and don't have any 'sendable' prints on hand...

Roman

taffer
06-29-2005, 02:10
May I add something ?

Some time ago, Jorge put up a RFF print service. Pictures would be sent to an email address specifying print size and then will be printed on his huge professional Epson, don't remember the model.

If that's still alive as an idea, maybe it could be a good way of unifying the printing method for those of us who don't have a darkroom nor a proper printer...

Just an idea...

RML
06-29-2005, 02:52
May I add something ?

Some time ago, Jorge put up a RFF print service. Pictures would be sent to an email address specifying print size and then will be printed on his huge professional Epson, don't remember the model.

If that's still alive as an idea, maybe it could be a good way of unifying the printing method for those of us who don't have a darkroom nor a proper printer...

Just an idea...

Sounds good.... That would mean I won't have to get all immersed in the wonderous world of archival inkjet printing.

trix
06-29-2005, 05:51
count me in...

Todd.Hanz
06-29-2005, 06:01
count me in too, inkjet only at the moment though!

Todd

alfa
06-29-2005, 06:09
I might be interested in this, darkroom traditional prints, kinda hot here in Italy at the moment to print...but at night I think I could work on something.

back alley
06-29-2005, 06:34
i like the idea also.

but i prefer pics from rf cams only.

let's not stray too far from the roots of this forum.

mine would have to be a lab produced shot, likely from a printer not a printmaker.

joe

alansoon
06-29-2005, 07:29
Sure Joe, since the swap is organized here, it should be rangefinders only. Would you consider making this a stickie?

back alley
06-29-2005, 07:43
consider it done alan.

i also moved the thread into the photo projects section.

joe

alansoon
06-29-2005, 07:54
Awesome, thanks Joe. Is there a way for us to create a combined/open gallery where we can all upload our photos available on swap?

back alley
06-29-2005, 08:06
c'mon now, i'm on holidays!!

best to decide if you want to have a gallery where members pick first.
i'm kinda thinking that may not be the best idea.

but it's your idea. when you decide ask jorge to create the gallery.
as the big cheese i prefer to defer this kind of thing to him.

joe

Allen Gilman
06-29-2005, 10:32
I'm in if there's room.

T_om
06-29-2005, 12:47
Awesome, thanks Joe. Is there a way for us to create a combined/open gallery where we can all upload our photos available on swap?

I hope this does not indicate the way the swap is going to be conducted? Choosing from a gallery I mean.

Someone needs to quantify what is going to happen and post the rules and requirements of the swap process.

Tom

back alley
06-29-2005, 13:05
i agree.

my philosophy is as few rules as possible, inclusion rather than exclusion and no competition.
i'd hate to see a gallery where there are prints that do not get chosen.
call me a 'pollyanna' but why tempt hurt feelings?

joe

T_om
06-29-2005, 13:20
i agree.

my philosophy is as few rules as possible, inclusion rather than exclusion and no competition.
i'd hate to see a gallery where there are prints that do not get chosen.
call me a 'pollyanna' but why tempt hurt feelings?

joe

Hear him.

My thoughts exactly.

Tom

tetrisattack
06-29-2005, 13:21
Agreed, the more people swapping the better. I'll take an inkjet or lab print, so long as it's something they're proud of. I'll be sending out my highest standard.

I'm fine with letting the sender decide what to send, and I'm also fine with requests.

cp_ste.croix
06-29-2005, 13:26
it might be neat to get a surprise print in the mail...what if everyone sent a digital file (ooohhhhh) to be printed (by Jorge?) and contributed their own shipping costs and the recieved a random print some days later? this might standardize the process a bit and no one would know where their print was going or coming from...

just a thought, maybe the logistics would be too much?

mkyy
06-29-2005, 13:29
i like this "surprise" idea, sort of like a draw.

T_om
06-29-2005, 13:59
it might be neat to get a surprise print in the mail...what if everyone sent a digital file (ooohhhhh) to be printed (by Jorge?) and contributed their own shipping costs and the recieved a random print some days later? this might standardize the process a bit and no one would know where their print was going or coming from...

just a thought, maybe the logistics would be too much?

This is not a fling at Jorge or any other printer, but I am not having my stuff printed by anyone else other than me and my lab.

Sorry. Over the past 40 years I have seen the entire gamut of awful stuff come from printers, some of which were supposed to be "pros".

My current pro lab prints my stuff *exactly* the way I want it and that is how I want my work represented.

Any print from me will be printed by me.

Tom

cp_ste.croix
06-29-2005, 14:13
ok, printed by you and surprise redistributed then? I'm just throwing out ideas here...whatever happens will be eminently cooler than nothing happening.

Doug
06-29-2005, 19:42
I like the idea of the "surprise" or random distribution in some respects, but I also like the idea of choosing to receive a print that appeals to me. I'm afraid if we all did the latter, then there'd be a lot of duplicate requests and a bunch of unchosen "wallflowers". Tough to find the right way through this....

Doug
06-29-2005, 19:45
Would there be a suggested approximate print size?

RML
06-29-2005, 22:17
I like the idea of the "surprise" or random distribution in some respects, but I also like the idea of choosing to receive a print that appeals to me. I'm afraid if we all did the latter, then there'd be a lot of duplicate requests and a bunch of unchosen "wallflowers". Tough to find the right way through this....

Doug, you can, of course, always contact a member and ask for a print, even without this print swap project. :)

RML
06-29-2005, 22:19
BTW, did anyone contact Jorge already to ask about that printing offer?

I can fully understan T_om's point of view but for someone like me it's more efficient and probably more cost-effective to have the printing done by a lab, and since many/most participants will be from the US it doesn't hurt to have the photo printed in and shipped within the US.

jan normandale
06-29-2005, 23:25
Hi

I like the idea! I think that the easiest way would be list names of those interested in prints. Then survey the list and contact the owner. The owner would let you know what and how he could deliver and the cost of the production and shipping. If it was agreed then the print would ship. Or if you wanted, you could do a reciprocal exchange.

This would give everyone a chance at what they want, not a random print.

Either way I am interested,

Jan

alansoon
06-29-2005, 23:27
Ok, as we come toward the end of the week, here's where we stand as far as the guidelines go:

- Two photos will be sent to the receipient
- Receipients will be selected randomly
- Photos will be a minimum size of 8x10
- Photos will be B&W and made from home/commerical darkrooms; fiber or RC-based. Let's hold off on the inkjets for now
- Photos will have to be taken on RF cameras (in the spirit of this Forum)
- Photos will have to be sent out within two weeks
- Photos received will be random, no pre-selection. If there's a photo you really like, you can always approach the photog on your own for an individual print swap
- Photos will be sent through the mail, either in a mailing tube or a stiff envelope. No need to mount

Did I miss anything?

Doug
06-30-2005, 00:01
Well, I'm probably out, then, as I do very little in B&W...

24x30
06-30-2005, 00:32
I would have been interrested, but 98% of my black and white pictures were taken with my Mamiya 645. Only 2% are from die Ambi or the Pola 600. So if there is sometimes a swap where non rf pictures are included ...

I like the idea of getting random pictures. I would also accept Inkjet prints (having RMLs Mongolia Pictures in mind :-). Who can guess the regular size of my prints :-)?

/rudi

RML
06-30-2005, 01:29
I like the idea of getting random pictures. I would also accept Inkjet prints (having RMLs Mongolia Pictures in mind :-).

Thanks, Rudi. :)

T_om
06-30-2005, 17:15
Ok, as we come toward the end of the week, here's where we stand as far as the guidelines go:

- Two photos will be sent to the receipient...
Did I miss anything?

Two?

Tom

jan normandale
06-30-2005, 18:16
Hi Alan

Im not following this one too well. How are these points covered

- Two photos will be sent to the receipient
Why two? Who selects the two?
- Receipients will be selected randomly
how are they selected
- Photos will be a minimum size of 8x10
okay
- Photos will be B&W and made from home/commerical darkrooms; fiber or RC-based. Let's hold off on the inkjets for now
okay but why is colour out, many shooters here are using colour? Also 8x10 BW prints are custom work here in Toronto, ie more expensive than colour
- Photos will have to be taken on RF cameras (in the spirit of this Forum)
okay
- Photos will have to be sent out within two weeks
where do they get sent?
- Photos received will be random, no pre-selection. If there's a photo you really like, you can always approach the photog on your own for an individual print swap
how will the random element work?
- Photos will be sent through the mail, either in a mailing tube or a stiff
okay

Id like to propose that the photos be signed and dated, who knows, one day you may be more famous than Ansel Adams or Weston. Id get a kick out of that.

Jan

Stephanie Brim
06-30-2005, 19:48
I'd be all for it, but the photo that I really want to use is in color. Most of the ones that I've done recently are in color due to the fact that I have loads of color film at the moment. This was shot with the Canonet and is the one I wanted to use:

http://pleasewipeyourfeet.com/photos/patriotism.jpg

I don't actually have any that are black and white printed at this time.

Gabriel M.A.
06-30-2005, 21:05
I am part of that print swap on Photo.net, and let me tell you, the day job can get in the way. I do not envy the job of the actual organizer! I just sent off my print, although I've had it ready for over a week, and I have Bob's (the organizer's) print ready too, but forgot his address at home, so I have to send it tomorrow.

Doing it is a daunting task. Rules have to be set. Nevertheless, I am in if one's organized here!

Gabriel M.A.
06-30-2005, 21:09
For all that have concerns about "darkroom skills", etc. I think as long as the inkjet prints are on archival paper and archival ink it's ok; also, for example, the picture I wanted to send is a B&W picture (guess which one), and I just didn't exactly like the tones with Archival Matte. So I took my scanned file to ProEx and ordered an 8x12 print on Fuji Archive Matte paper. No darkroom necessary! Money, otoh, is.

alansoon
07-01-2005, 00:45
I'm starting to realize that organizing this could be a full-time job in itself! ;-)

Ok, let me try to answer some of your questions, Jan and T_om.

- Perhaps two prints are too many. I was getting greedy, sorry. Revised to one for simplicity.
- Receipients would be pared off by geographical locations if possible to save on postage, otherwise "randomly." Participants will be asked whether they want to be paired with someone in their region, or outside.
- I don't have a strong opinion on color or B&W, but I was trying to make it as "equal" as possible in terms of getting the same "art" as you're sending. My assumption is that if you're sending a B&W print, you obviously enjoy B&W. Anyway, I don't have a strong position on that. So what do you guys think?
- I'll leave it up to you guys to decide where to send the prints. You'll be sending the prints directly to the other person's home/office/farm/studio. Your receipient will be responsible for giving you his/her address directly.
- Photo selection is simple: send off your best work. You decide what you feel is worthy.
- Signatures: Sure. Sign in pencil at the border or back of photo.

So, what does everyone think? These guidelines aren't written in stone, but let's try to decide on this before the week is over and I can pair you up as quickly as possible.

Doug
07-01-2005, 21:31
I think I'm back in again! :) Whether B&W or color I'd probably have my lab run off an 8x10 or 11x14 on chemically-processed paper.

jan normandale
07-02-2005, 08:13
Alan

I'm still in and I'm into this now, it could be printed on a cardboard carton for all I care. I want a surprise package/grab bag. I'll print one/two shot/s and send it/them where ever.

Postage is not a big deal really. Once you are in for a dollar you're in for two so to speak. I might enjoy shots from European, Australian, South American or Asian photographers. Maybe even from New Zealand!

Jan

RML
07-02-2005, 10:37
Alan

I'm still in and I'm into this now, it could be printed on a cardboard carton for all I care. I want a surprise package/grab bag. I'll print one/two shot/s and send it/them where ever.

Postage is not a big deal really. Once you are in for a dollar you're in for two so to speak. I might enjoy shots from European, Australian, South American or Asian photographers. Maybe even from New Zealand!

Jan

Cardboard, huh...? I can do that!

back alley
07-02-2005, 11:30
maybe i'll put mine on a t-shirt!!

joe;)

T_om
07-02-2005, 12:35
I have posted the rules and guidelines on a web page so that they are all in one place rather than in bits and pieces in this thread.

I am waiting on Alan to email me so I can send him the web site address to look over. I do not want to hijack Alan's project.

So, as soon as I hear from Alan and get his OK, the post will be made here and Alan or I will be accepting subscribers to the swap.

Tom

T_om
07-02-2005, 19:50
I just got done corresponding with Alan and the final touches were done to the web page containing the rules and guidelines.

Please go here: http://home.comcast.net/~seaskate/index_files/Page361.htm

These rules are very inclusive and should not place an undue burden on anyone. Please participate in the true spirit of this congenial forum.

So get those emails in to Alan (use the email address on the web page referenced above) and he will get things rolling.

You will have to cut and paste Alan's email into your mail program. I did not want to put a hot link on the web page because web bots and crawlers would find it and inundate Alan with spam.

Tom

alansoon
07-02-2005, 19:58
Thanks again for all the help, Tom! Let the fun begin!

Remember, this round is open to the first twenty people who email me, so make it quick!

stet
07-02-2005, 20:20
whee -- I'm in! I guess it does pay to be working nights on a holiday weekend. I just started playing with a new negative that I really like too. Here's to the swap -- and smelling like chemicals!

24x30
07-03-2005, 06:40
befor taking place in a swap I've to do some 'RF-taken-images', but I'd like to read your experiences with this one.
/rudi

jan normandale
07-03-2005, 09:13
Hi,
I'm in too. Alan said I'm the first Canadian.

This is very bad form for a Canadian. I prefer to be second in the door. - joke

Jan

Gabriel M.A.
07-03-2005, 09:37
Alan, I sent you an e-mail earlier... (I'm in...?)

T_om
07-03-2005, 10:04
Alan, I sent you an e-mail earlier... (I'm in...?)

Did it have "Print Swap" on the subject line per the guidelines? Alan is using an email sorter to capture all the participants and make sure they are processed in the order they arrive. Fair to everyone that way. Especially given the time lag in international email communications. Alan in is Japan, I am in the US.

I don't think Alan went back through this thread and gathered any names. It was officially started only when the rules were posted so everyone could agree to participate or not and everyone would have an equal chance to sign up.

So if you want to swap, go to the guidelines page and start from there.

http://home.comcast.net/~seaskate/index_files/Page361.htm

As the last line there says, if we have more than 20 we will make every effort to accommodate everyone. The limit was imposed in order to give the process an "end time". If it were open ended with no cut-off, when would the drawing ever take place? We did not want any hurt feelings or ill will to be generated doing this. See rule #10. ;)

Tom

Gabriel M.A.
07-03-2005, 10:24
Did it have "Print Swap" on the subject line per the guidelines?

The subject title says "Rangefinderforum Print Swap"; I hope "Rangefinderforum" doesn't throw the sorter out of sorts. Thanks Tom, btw, for going the extra mile.

RML
07-03-2005, 11:57
As the last line there says, if we have more than 20 we will make every effort to accommodate everyone. The limit was imposed in order to give the process an "end time". If it were open ended with no cut-off, when would the drawing ever take place? We did not want any hurt feelings or ill will to be generated doing this. See rule #10. ;)

We could, of course, keep the list semi-open (for a week, a month, 6 months, whatever) and take cut-offs every 20-30 people.

alansoon
07-03-2005, 13:43
Gabriel, I haven't received your email. Can you send it again please?

back alley
07-03-2005, 13:46
i'm not home for another week so i think i need to pass this time around.

joe

alansoon
07-03-2005, 13:51
Oh, I see. Looks like you sent the email to my Hotmail account, Gabriel (I've since removed the Hotmail address from my user account -- I never check it).

Can you send it to alansoon at monsoonphoto.net? Also, please include your mailing address. Thanks.

Gabriel M.A.
07-03-2005, 15:05
I thought I had sent it to both, looks like I snipped it...I sent it again (with correction) ...

alansoon
07-03-2005, 15:34
Cool. I've now got 7 participants.

Roman
07-03-2005, 15:44
I'll be away for most of next week, so I thought I'd wait with writing until I come back, to see if there's still room for me to participate...

Roman

JamesW
07-04-2005, 08:33
I'd love to participate this time, but it has become apparent in the last few days that my day-job is going to be manic for the next month, and I don't want to commit and not be able to deliver. Next time, hopefully!

T_om
07-05-2005, 13:19
Just a bump to keep folks attention.

Alan, how are the numbers coming along?

Tom

alansoon
07-05-2005, 16:39
We're currently at 9. Pretty slow going... perhaps some people didn't like the rules. ;-)

alansoon
07-05-2005, 17:12
Thank you Mike Brice. We're now at 10.

cp_ste.croix
07-05-2005, 17:16
I'd be in but my RF catalogue is so limited right now as to not be worth it for prospective partners...

maybe next round?

T_om
07-05-2005, 18:50
Thank you Mike Brice. We're now at 10.

This is typical. Really. EVERY print swap I have been involved with always starts off as a house afire, lots of interest, but then people are hesitant to follow through and actually sign up. :)

Take a look at the poll numbers at the top of this thread. 33 people said they would like a swap and we have 10 actually involved at this point. This is not bad, as 30% participation is about average in these things.

Keep the swap open a few more days then close this one and do the drawing with those that have subscribed. Have another one in a month or so. No problem.

Tom

Marc Jutras
07-05-2005, 19:26
I just sent an email to Alan so hopefully, I'm in.

I still have one little question thatw as not answered by the rules page. How do we determine which picture we send/receive?

Personally, I invite whoever is paired with me to pick his/her favourite picture from my gallery or website (if you prefer the ... other stuff shown there ;) ) and let me know by email.

alansoon
07-05-2005, 19:41
Thanks Marc Jutras. We're now at 11.

Marc, just choose your best print on your own. But I see no problem if you want to offer a choice either.

RML
07-05-2005, 22:03
I just sent an email to Alan so hopefully, I'm in.

I still have one little question thatw as not answered by the rules page. How do we determine which picture we send/receive?

Personally, I invite whoever is paired with me to pick his/her favourite picture from my gallery or website (if you prefer the ... other stuff shown there ;) ) and let me know by email.

I love the shots of "your" night club, Marc. Really fab shots. If we get paired up I already know which shot I'll beg you to print. :)

alansoon
07-05-2005, 22:14
Thank you Bob Blakley of Texas. We're now at 12.

T_om
07-06-2005, 08:00
Just publishing the "Rules" page link again since we have spilled out onto the third page in this thread. This keeps people from having to dig through the past posts.

http://home.comcast.net/~seaskate/index_files/Page361.htm

Signups are going well.

Tom

alansoon
07-07-2005, 20:26
Bump! Bump!

24x30
07-07-2005, 23:47
Take a look at the poll numbers at the top of this thread. 33 people said they would like a swap and we have 10 actually involved at this point. This is not bad, as 30% participation is about average in these things.

I like the idea, but I had to do a deep search for rf taken films, to finds some. Maybe
others have problems with other rules ... you'll never be able to catch them all.

/rudi

alansoon
07-08-2005, 00:11
Welcome Rudi Herrmann of Germany, number 13 to the swap!

T_om
07-09-2005, 09:45
Just another bump.

Alan, I would think about closing the swap in a day or two and going with the current subscribers.

Tom

egpj
07-09-2005, 11:02
How many have signed up so far?

tetrisattack
07-09-2005, 13:12
Me! And I'm excited for this.

jan normandale
07-09-2005, 16:35
Just another bump.

Alan, I would think about closing the swap in a day or two and going with the current subscribers.

Tom

Hi Tom and Alan

your 'real post' went up June 28 for sign up , since then we have seen 12 days elapse. Lets wait for a few more days we seem to be getting one a day.

Perhaps we should each 'invite' some members whose work we are interested in to check out this thread.

Jan

back alley
07-09-2005, 17:19
since i'm home and this is still open for business i think i'll join in.

i'm gonna go sign up now.

joe

alansoon
07-09-2005, 19:15
Ok. We're now at 15. I just need one more to close this.

T_om
07-09-2005, 20:24
Hi Tom and Alan

your 'real post' went up June 28 for sign up , since then we have seen 12 days elapse. Lets wait for a few more days we seem to be getting one a day.

Perhaps we should each 'invite' some members whose work we are interested in to check out this thread.

Jan

Jan,

That is a very good idea.

Also, if readers of this thread have any additions or deletions that they would like to see made to the guidelines, please notify me or post your suggestions here.

I foresee Print Swap II in a few weeks. Maybe do one once a quarter?

Tom

Roman
07-10-2005, 03:17
No additions, just a question - once you know your swap partner, would it be OK to discuss with him/her, what kind of picture they'd like (you know, landscape vs. street vs. abstract, B&W vs. lith-print, etc.), or should it be a complete surprise?

Roman

alansoon
07-10-2005, 03:43
Some people like surprises, some don't. I'm sure it's no problem checking with your swap partner.

T_om
07-10-2005, 10:16
No additions, just a question - once you know your swap partner, would it be OK to discuss with him/her, what kind of picture they'd like (you know, landscape vs. street vs. abstract, B&W vs. lith-print, etc.), or should it be a complete surprise?

Roman

Like Alan said, some like surprises, some don't.

Personally, as long as someone sends what he/she considers worthy of a representation of their work, I don't care what the subject matter may be. I like surprises. :eek:

Also, be careful expressing your "desires" so that they do not become interpreted as "demands" by your swap partner.

If someone asks if you have a preference, then by all means... tell them. However, if you end up paired with a street shooter, it might be pretty distressing to them for you to request a landscape shot. :rolleyes:

Last, I feel that a lot of correspondence back and forth between partners making "arrangements" distracts from the spirit of the swap. There are no rules saying you cannot communicate with your swap partner and please do not take my statement here to imply any such restriction. It is just that I feel the luck of the draw, the main chance... is one of the most interesting things about these swaps.

Tom

Doug
07-10-2005, 10:20
If someone asks if you have a preference, then by all means... tell them. However, if you end up paired with a street shooter, it might be pretty distressing to them for you to request a landscape shot. :rolleyes: One solution would be to invite the partner to pick an image from your RFF Gallery...

RML
07-10-2005, 14:20
I already have my shot in mind. :)

alansoon
07-10-2005, 14:43
I hope to wrap this up by the end of the day. I'm still waiting for #16.

egpj
07-10-2005, 15:07
Good idea, and if you have something that they should consider then better get it uploaded.

stet
07-10-2005, 15:43
d'oh -- mine's new, and not up there right now. Although, I did just buy some nice FB paper ...

24x30
07-11-2005, 12:12
I already have my shot in mind. :)
Hope it's one of the mongolia shots :-D .

/rudi

Doug
07-11-2005, 12:29
I think I'd choose RML's bicycle/puddle photo!

24x30
07-11-2005, 13:21
I'm curious about who the victim for my print is. :-)

/rudi
ps. Thanks Alan and Tom for organizing this.

FrankS
07-11-2005, 16:28
Have you got room for one more?

T_om
07-11-2005, 18:47
Have you got room for one more?

Always room for one more Frank. ;)

Go ahead and email Alan ASAP though.

Tom

alansoon
07-11-2005, 19:01
Yeah, come on Frank. I'll wait for you before closing this.

back alley
07-11-2005, 19:54
i think frank is on a holiday for a few days and has only limited internet access.

joe

RML
07-11-2005, 22:01
Hmm. One wants Mongolia shots. Another wants the bicycle shot. I had something different in mind. Not posted, and in colour.

OK. Whoever gets stuck with me... do you want door number 1, 2 or 3? :)

RML
07-11-2005, 22:03
Ohboyohboy. I can't wait to find out who'll be my victim, and whose victim I'll be!

Alan, can we speed things up a bit? I'm getting too excited! :)

24x30
07-11-2005, 22:17
Hmm. One wants Mongolia shots. Another wants the bicycle shot. I had something different in mind. Not posted, and in colour.

OK. Whoever gets stuck with me... do you want door number 1, 2 or 3? :)
Maybe, I've to ask you for a shot outside of this 'print swap', I hope for a far distance partner ... because europeans may know some of my motivs already. :)

/rudi

alansoon
07-11-2005, 22:30
All right, I'm going to close this now since Frank is probably away (otherwise we'll just add him for Round 2). I'll post the pairings in a new posting.

Gabriel M.A.
07-11-2005, 22:37
Cool! You found the 20? Out of 35, hmm. I think I can see why; it's high vacation season, specially in Europe and most North America. I'll be on "vacation" (the definition where I am) beginning this Wed. and back on Sun. myself. I'll be checking my e-mail frequently, though.

alansoon
07-11-2005, 22:43
No, I didn't get the 20. I'll have to settle for 15 at this time (Tom has graciously offered to send two prints to make it an even 16 prints in circulation).

Doesn't matter -- this is merely the first round. There will be others.

alansoon
07-11-2005, 22:49
Pairings list here:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=103060#post103060

l.mar
07-13-2005, 04:32
Alan:

Count me in for the next round.

T_om
07-13-2005, 07:39
Alan:

Count me in for the next round.

We have talked about doing this once a quarter or so. When the next one is started we will post another thread to get things going again.

This one will probably be buried at that time, so just follow the bouncing ball as outlined in the guidelines web site when the swap begins and you will be included. Trying to track individuals posting to threads like this gets very confusing and cumbersome very fast.

Best to have everyone notified of the start at the same time and let them sign on then.

Tom

back alley
07-13-2005, 08:03
i have been asked to lock this thread so people do not 'sign up' for a next print swap here and then have the impression that it is a done deal.

there will be a seperate sign up thread for that.

joe