PDA

View Full Version : another 'win'

back alley
07-11-2004, 13:31
just won a fed 2 w/ industar 61 off ebay.

it's located in canada and said to be in nice shape - i'm sure another canadian wouldn't stretch the truth - so shipping should be quicker than from the ukriane. the pic looked good anyways.

when this shows and my industar 61 from the ukraine i will have 3 61 lenses, one being the ld version. 3? how did that happen?
maybe i'll just keep the best one...

so, i have a second body soon.

joe

Todd.Hanz
07-11-2004, 14:35
Congrats,
I have had excellent luck with Canadian camera purchases, 1-Hassy, 1- Canon G-III, and an enroute Oly SP. So far all have been as described with pleasant sellers.
Have fun with the Fed-2, thats one's next on my list.

Todd

wierdcollector
07-11-2004, 19:10
Well, if I have to be beat out on an auction, at least I know the Fed'll go to a loving home. That is if we're both talking about the same auction from a B.C. seller? If so, I bought a Fed 5 from him and I see there are a few more Fed 2's coming up soon. Hmmmm...

back alley
07-11-2004, 19:33
Item number:3826120089 seller- skywagon in maple ridge?
yeah it does sound like the same guy.
guess it is a small country after all.

how was your fed 5 when it arrived?
i'm looking forward to trying the fed 2 out and maybe i'll keep the best industar on it.
i'm hoping it's a camera i can keep in the car and take anywhere with me kinda thing.

joe

taffer
07-12-2004, 00:22
Originally posted by backalley photo
when this shows and my industar 61 from the ukraine i will have 3 61 lenses, one being the ld version. 3? how did that happen?
joe

hehehe... I told you, it's the 'curse of the FSU equipment'

I still remember Anya's prophetic words in an email after receiving my first fsu eBay camera, the Fed-2 and telling her how much I liked it.

'Don't worry Oscar, you'll be soon begging for more'.

Well she was right after all :rolleyes:

Lots of things have been written about this camera (the usual low-profile version, not the last Fed3-like one), there's something in this design that makes it pretty near to perfection. Having in mind it was an original design and not a 'copy' like the previous Feds and Zorkis, it turned out pretty well.

Imagine it with a normal shutter speed dial and slow speeds also, put a well designed lever advance, and a brighter bigger VF with let's say 35/50/90 framelines...

Jeez I guess I'd have enough with the VF upgrade, and a not so loud shutter please...

Would you also beg for more Joe ? :p

wierdcollector
07-12-2004, 02:06
Hi Joe,
Yep, same seller, same auction. No problem though as he has several other Fed 2's coming up. Hope you enjoy it as much as I like my Fed 2. Only reason I'm getting another is mine has begun shutter capping at some speeds and since Oleg retired I haven't found anyone reasonably priced to repair it. I haven't received my Fed 5 yet, but since I already have two (Fed 5C, Fed 5B) I'm not in any hurry. I have a functional Fed 3, two Fed4's, my two Fed 5's and sooner or later two Fed2's. Now if I can add a couple more Zorkis, (I have two Zorki 4's and a Mir) possibly a Zorki 6, and a Kiev or two, I'll be right where I want to be. For now, LOL.
Oscar, you should know by now, Anya is always right. We'll all be begging for just one more Soviet RF. Or a turret finder, or an Industar, or just one more...
Curt in Canada (my other passion is Ramblers)

SolaresLarrave
07-12-2004, 08:30
Well... I can't beat your winnings, but I can mention mine: 7 rolls of Scala, and a 12 rolls of old Kodachrome. The total was kind of ridiculous in the 'chrome (less than $20 shipping included), and I got the Scala for a bit more than I'd pay for a 5-pack, but I'm happy my film arsenal is looking good again! :)

wierdcollector
07-12-2004, 14:52
Crappy day today, just received word from a seller I'd been speaking to about my Zorki C I'd won on Eb*y, lost in mail. Grrrr. Picked up a few latest items won, a Sears ES35 Electronic (Ricoh), a Wards am 550 (Konica), and another Bolsey model B. From Salvation Army auction, a Ricoh Elnica 35 M and a Konica Autoreflex (the original). Tomorrow I'll find out if I won their auction for a Minolta Himatic 11, Balda Baldina and a Yashica Lynx 5000E. Still, I'd rather have the Zorki than most of these. Bad part is this is the first camera or lens I've lost in the mail system. Sorry, had to vent.

back alley
07-12-2004, 17:17
bummer

SolaresLarrave
07-12-2004, 21:27
I'd be venting, fuming, ranting and excoriating the entire system that's able to misplace a box big enough to carry a camera like that, and never fails to send you the small, silly envelopes containing bills... :mad: Sorry about it, Curt.

taffer
07-13-2004, 01:39
Sorry to hear that Curt :( Anyway don't give up completely. I gave for lost a G-III QL19 coming from Canada and was preparing all the insurance papers (even if it was 'only' $50)and then two months and two weeks later the postman left it in my office. I suppose it was sent via surface mail by mistake.

What is worrying me seriously is the Canon 7 matter. On the first attempt it was directly returned to the sender, both my address and customs label missing, not a single customs or post office note, so we don't have the faintest idea what could have happened... The camera was there and apparently untouched.

All the door-to-door (same door) process was three weeks, so I think it didn't even left the US... if it did, well then some customs officer was feeling really productive that day.

It was re-sent last friday 3rd, and now I HOPE it will arrive home this week. Otherwise... well otherwise nothing else than :bang:, I'll keep my fingers crossed for both the Canon and the CV pancake also in the mail to me, even though this one is coming from the cold northern European regions...

Now that I'm with that, tell me if you want me to cross some fingers for some of your parcels too, but fast, because I have only 2 more crossing combinations available... :)

wierdcollector
07-13-2004, 14:29
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the sympathy and finger crossing. Funny thing is a package can go missing from NJ to Ontario, but the FED 3 I ordered from Khazakstan made it here not only in one piece and working fine, but shipped in only a paper envelope rolled round the camera. The only thing that tees me off as much as losing this camera are the dufuss's that refuse to read my shipping instructions (I send all my items to my US mailing address because it is much quicker, cheaper and easier) and send a camera to my home in Canada with no invoice included so when the ever-curious Customs folk open it, they assign any value they feel is ok to my camera and I need to pay both a Canada Post inspection fee and taxes on a usually hugely inflated sum. Then you need to spend at least three weeks to appeal and try to get your cash back. GRRRRR. It's happened four times now, so I'm getting used to it, but I often wonder about the literacy level in some parts of the country.
On a more positive note, I got a call today from the Salvation Army store that I won their auction so I now can pick up my Baldinette, Himatic 11, and Lynx 5000E, yippee, more toys for big boys.

back alley
07-21-2004, 16:49
the fed 2 showed at the mail today!

it seems to be in nice shape. the body covering looks brand new, there are no dents, dings or scratches on it at all. the inside look clean but certainly has been used. shutter cloth seems intact as does the permanently installed take up spool. film winding is smooth and so is the rewind. i find the rewind collar small and i don't have big hands. shutter speeds seem accurate and sound good. it's a quiet camera. everything is tight.
the industar 61 on the other hand has seen better days. while it looks like it has been cleaned it just seems old. it's a bit loose. can't say i care for no click f-stops. i'll use it for a roll or 2 but i can see me swapping it out for the 61ld i already have. maybe see what my 3rd 61 looks like when it shows from the ukraine.
i'm surprised that the film wind took no time to get used to. no film advance lever was a concern for me. same for the rewind. the viewfinder is clear, not as bright as the bessa but certainly usable. it seems polorized and i really like the diopter adjustment, very easy to use. the lens does focus ok, near & far.
overall, i am quite pleased.
it's a solid unit. can't wait to put film thru it.

joe

Todd.Hanz
07-21-2004, 17:44
It's always nice when the camera is delivered as described, sounds like you got a winner!

Todd

back alley
07-21-2004, 19:56
ok, where do i stick the film leader?
my take up spool looks like it's in backwards or upside down or...

please keep it simple - i feel dumb enough.

joe

Laika
07-21-2004, 20:14
my take up spool looks like it's in backwards or upside down or...

please keep it simple - i feel dumb enough.

joe

It sounds like a removable spool to me, its held in with like spring fingers, try pulling it out. Then just stick the leader into the clip and put it back in to the camera. Note the spools winds in a opposite direction to most modern cameras as it takes up the film.

back alley
07-21-2004, 21:03
the spool does pull out some but did not want to come out. i realized the film winds opposite after awhile, i think i have it but i guess i'll have to wait and see if it moves thru the camera ok.

thanks, joe

taffer
07-22-2004, 01:02
Joe, welcome to the evil world of fsu camera users. Now just know that you won't be leaving it easily <muahahaha!> :-)

The film spool may have been changed for a more modern one or not, but even if it's removable, on mine it just behaves as a fixed one as seems it's pretty firm in its place.

Check the spool and look for a small metal lid on the bottom end. If you don't see it you can easily turn the spool and bring that lid to the front. It's under that lid that you must place the film leader, there's not need to cut anything.

If the spool has been swapped for a fixed one from a Fed3, for example, then you'll see 4 or 5 slots where you can easily insert the film spool.

Take a look at www.geocities.com/fzorkis and check the link for the Fed-2 manual. Even if it's in russian, drawings and diagrams are clear enough.

Another couple of things, remember the first fsu mantra: 'FIRST wind, only THEN change shutter speeds'.

The second one, remember the rewind knob can be pulled out, making the process a lot easier. Please don't ask me how I know it's a lot easier :D

Now load it and have lots and lots and lots of fun !

rover
07-22-2004, 01:31

joe

Perhaps we should all pause to carefully consider Joe's question before we answer.
:angel:

back alley
07-22-2004, 04:56
even though i have no idea what you mean...i still laughed out loud!!

joe

GeneW
07-22-2004, 05:33
the spool does pull out some but did not want to come out. i realized the film winds opposite after awhile, i think i have it but i guess i'll have to wait and see if it moves thru the camera ok.

thanks, joe
Does the rewind knob on this model turn when the film is being advanced? If so, the film is attached okay.

Gene

back alley
07-22-2004, 06:32
didn't notice if the rewind turns but the shutter speed dial turns when i advance the film. i hope that's normal.

joe

Laika
07-22-2004, 06:54
.....the shutter speed dial turns when i advance the film. i hope that's normal.

joe

Yes it is normal, it also spins back when the shutter fires

back alley
07-22-2004, 08:30
thanks!

joe

Rich Silfver
08-14-2004, 22:25
Joe, is that Fed-2 gonna see any action after you receive your Canon P? ;)

back alley
08-14-2004, 22:34
doubtful!

i am looking forward to the p like a kid at christmas.

i know how much you like your m3 and i can only hope i like the p as much. i'm trying very hard to brace myself for the possible disappointment of a camera that doesn't live up to my expectations but it's tough.
i think this could be it for me. and then i'll have to get another. the bessa will be for back up and when i want a built in meter.

as to the fed, i will put in another roll of film and see if it works. if it does i most likely will keep or use it in a trade and if it doesn't- it may go to some mr. fix-it as a donation.

btw, what are doing up so late?

joe

Rich Silfver
08-14-2004, 22:38
Nah, I'm sure you'll like the Canon P a lot. It's a damn good looking camera and should handle well.

Believe it or not but I'm working. 11:35pm on a Saturday and I'm deep in s/sheets. Taking a break and having a coffee before hitting it for one more hour before it's time to hit the sack...

Did get to take the camera out for a spin today though. In my normal snappyness I managed to take eh..6-7 photos in three hours :)

back alley
08-14-2004, 22:44
right, there's an hour difference - it's 12:40 here.

i'm actually on holidays till the 30th.
i went out this morning for my usual saturday morning coffee with 'the boys' and had planned to head over to the local 'fringe festival' for some shooting, but my bones & joints were aching and i wound up coming home without firing a shot.
this morning i'm heading out for dim sum breakfast and then another stroll at the festival. i hope to shoot some pics.

yes, i think the p will be great.
the seller joined our forum today so i'm thinking the camera has to be in pretty good shape.

good luck working, i'm heading for bed soon.

joe

Rich Silfver
08-14-2004, 22:46
Well - if it's not atleast it will be easy for you to give him a hard time :)

nwcanonman
08-18-2004, 22:49
OK, I took the plunge. At the end of July I won a Zorki 4K with the J8 lens, cool. But how long does it usually take to arrive in the USA from the Ukraine? Tomorrow is 3 weeks already, do they ship via Yak-Back express - LOL? :confused:

back alley
08-19-2004, 05:20
actually it's by slow yak pack.

i had forgotten about my lens by the time it arrived.

joe

nwcanonman
08-19-2004, 06:12
Thanks Joe, I'm glad it's not just me.
Also, a Leica collecting friend says "some" of the J8's are terrific lenses, BUT some are real dogs (wide quality range). Is this your experience also?

back alley
08-19-2004, 07:05
i have 3 industar 61 lenses.
one w/o click stops which i gave away, one ld which took a few good shots but only 1 roll so far and one which looks the best of the bunch but had the misfortune of being on my fed 2 which turns out didn't move the film through the camera.
long story short - i can't really judge russian quality just yet.

vladhed
08-19-2004, 12:15
3 weeks!? Mine took less than a week from Ukraine to Canada.

back alley
08-19-2004, 12:48
vlad,

but then it took weeks to get west from eastern canada!
see what happens when you live in the nations capital?!

joe

nwcanonman
08-19-2004, 12:49
I have had typical 7 days delivery to Spain and Italy too. When I inquired about the delay two days ago, Vlad replied "I am sended it.
Please waiting"

Dar, Tovarich :D

nwcanonman
08-20-2004, 14:37
Hooray, it's finally here. The delivery Yak looks tired, but the Zorki 4K body looks in very nice shape. The J8 lens though, the focus ring is so loose it rattles when the camera is wiggled. Not what you'd carry in a "war zone" - LOL. Any suggestions for a sharp WA (like 35mm) replacemtent?
Now to print out the on-line manual, so I don't forget to advance the shutter before I set the speed, and load up some film.
:D

Doug
08-20-2004, 17:26
Well, I'm pretty pleased with the Jupiter-12, 35mm f/2.8 on my Kiev. It protrudes VERY far back toward the shutter, and the front element is well recessed into the focusing mount. I understand it (in screw-mount form) can interfere with the innards of many cameras other than Zorkis and FEDs. But I'll bet you like it on your Zorki!

I don't think there's much wider from the FSU other than the Orion 28mm, pretty slow at f/6. But you could start accumulating modern screw-mount Voigtlander lenses!

Here's a sample of the Jupiter-12, said to be a Zeiss Biogon copy...

nwcanonman
08-20-2004, 21:14
Doug,
Thanks for the suggestion and great shot. Just playing with the Zorki, I'm getting used to the controls, I LOVE the diopter control.
May I ask what film were you using for this backhoe shot?

Doug
08-20-2004, 22:06
Originally posted by nwcanonman
May I ask what film were you using for this backhoe shot? Film was Ilford XP1, loaded from bulk in Oct 1983, and kept in the freezer twenty years. Exposed at EI=250 and push-processed one stop at the local lab. I think that's why the brightest areas are "blown", and for later rolls I asked them to push somewhat less than a full stop. :-)

rover
08-21-2004, 16:07
Originally posted by Doug
Film was Ilford XP1, loaded from bulk in Oct 1983, and kept in the freezer twenty years. Exposed at EI=250 and push-processed one stop at the local lab. I think that's why the brightest areas are "blown", and for later rolls I asked them to push somewhat less than a full stop. :-)

I am really amazed, and impressed, sometimes by the depths you guys are into this hobby, or more for some of you, of ours. I am trying to burn through some film that I stockpiled over the last 12-24 months from Walmart, and Doug is pulling out 20 yo bulk rolled stock from his freezer. This is quite a crowd we have here.

Doug
08-21-2004, 17:58
LOL, rover... I didn't INTEND to leave that and other film unused for so long. It's just that I got a Macintosh computer in 1984, and this new brain-tool so occupied my attention that I set photography aside "temporarily." Camera gear acquisitions stopped with the new Minolta CLE and a 55/4 for the big Pentax, and it was years of nerdhood ahead.

GeneW
08-21-2004, 18:04
Originally posted by nwcanonman
Hooray, it's finally here. The delivery Yak looks tired, but the Zorki 4K body looks in very nice shape.
Congrats!!

I'm still waiting for my Zorki 4K to arrive, so maybe the Yak stops here on its way back ... :D

Enjoy!

Gene

nwcanonman
08-21-2004, 21:29
Gene,
It's worth the wait! We had a parade in town today, so loaded the Zorki with Portra 400 B&W (out of the fridge last night - LOL) and had it souped at Kit's 1 hour. Other than being slightly "misaligned" in the film chamber, the prints are very sharp to my eye. My old "Sunny 16" skills worked better than I'd expected and only one shot under exposed.
Now to do some fine tuning, bid on a Jupiter 12, and have more FUN :D

nwcanonman
08-21-2004, 22:17
Forgot to add this shot of today's parade. The original is much sharper than the quick scan, but you get the idea. Just white hairs on the black "mane" of the pipers really stand out.