PDA

View Full Version : A week in hospital...

Roger Hicks
10-08-2009, 02:31
...three days of it in intensive care, is why I've not been on the forum. Appendicitis with complications. Never mind; home now. Apologies for delays in responses, but I think you'll understand why!

Cheers,

R.

fixbones
10-08-2009, 02:34
Gee..... sorry to hear that.
Rest and Recuperate well !!!!!! and welcome back =D

Paul T.
10-08-2009, 02:38
Commiseration.

Sharing, approximately, your income source, I can imagine the backlog of work , and effect on future income, too.

varjag
10-08-2009, 02:46
Ouch. Get well soon Roger!

Keith
10-08-2009, 02:48
Sorry to hear that Roger ... good to have you back on deck and I hope you're feeling OK now! :)

Solinar
10-08-2009, 02:49
Another post to commiserate. Get plenty of rest and may your recovery be a rapid one.

Roger Hicks
10-08-2009, 02:52
Commiseration.

Sharing, approximately, your income source, I can imagine the backlog of work , and effect on future income, too.

Dear Paul,

Thanks. Actually, the work side was/is OK. Once I was out of intensive care (Friday night after the operation-Saturday-Sunday-Monday, moved to normal ward Tuesday morning), Frances brought in the big laptop and I wrote a synopsis and selling letter for my novel, plus a couple of (unillustrated) magazine pieces. Another magazine piece (two-parter on a Land Rover journey) was slipped by a month for editorial reasons, so I can get the pics to them in time.

EDIT And thanks everyone else too. Yes, I really am feeling pretty good, now I'm out of hospital!

Cheers,

R.

elshaneo
10-08-2009, 03:09
Roger,

I'm glad to know that You're feeling pretty good now :)

john neal
10-08-2009, 03:18
Roger,

You do seem to have lots of fun with hospitals!

Glad you are feeling better, and having had the op, at least you should never get appendicitis again

best wishes to you both from Ann and me - I'll send you some healing.

Tashi Delek

icebear
10-08-2009, 03:21
Hi Roger,

glad you made it out of there, sometimes you get in with a little issue and catch a big bug. Get well soon and take it easy for a while, although typing might be allowed :D.

bmattock
10-08-2009, 03:24
Glad you're on the mend!

wakarimasen
10-08-2009, 03:29
Get well soon Roger!
Best regards,
RoyM

telemetre
10-08-2009, 03:45
I wish you a speedy recovery.

Rob-F
10-08-2009, 03:59
Roger, having had appendicitis myself, I know it is not much fun! I'm very glad things turned out OK. The next time my wife and I are in France, maybe we can meet up and do some shooting. Who knows, maybe even in Arles!

Stay well now.

Best, Rob

kshapero
10-08-2009, 04:05
A Refuah Shalaima!! (Hebrew for a complete and speedy recovery.)

Don Parsons
10-08-2009, 04:12
Best Wishes and Hopes that you are feeling better. Give Frances a hug for me too.

mabelsound
10-08-2009, 04:32
Welcome back, Roger!

pvdhaar
10-08-2009, 04:53
It's good to see you're back again! Beterschap!

ABarGrill
10-08-2009, 05:09
May your recovery be swift and complete!

Roger Hicks
10-08-2009, 05:25
Once again, thanks for all the kind wishes. Be warned that you may see even more of me than usual for a while, as it turns out that the chair, computer, etc. I use for internet access make an uncommonly comfortable place to recuperate.

Cheers,

R.

Mackinaw
10-08-2009, 05:31
...Be warned that you may see even more of me than usual for a while, as it turns out that the chair, computer, etc. I use for internet access make an uncommonly comfortable place to recuperate.

This is the good news part of your situation. Always love reading your take on things Roger.

Jim B.

Ken Ford
10-08-2009, 05:31
Glad to hear you're recuperating, Roger!

raid
10-08-2009, 05:33
Welcome back, Roger. I hope that all medical conditions have been taken care of.

LynnL
10-08-2009, 05:34
Roger best wishes quick recovery and good health go without saying...
BUT where will the Land Rover article be??

Lynn

Ben B.
10-08-2009, 05:35
Ouch! Brings back bad memories of when the exact same thing happened to me a few years ago... As they say in our neck of the woods : je te souhaite un prompt rétablissement!

BillBingham2
10-08-2009, 05:37
Roger,

Sorry to hear, hard way to loose a pound. Get healthy and keep the family healthy. You folks have had way too much hospital time this year!

Fell better.

B2 (;->

crawdiddy
10-08-2009, 05:38
Well Roger, you have to post photos of your incision! :eek:

Roger Hicks
10-08-2009, 05:45
Roger best wishes quick recovery and good health go without saying...
BUT where will the Land Rover article be??

Lynn
Dear Lynn,

Land Rover World (Kelsey Publishing, UK), January and February issues (unless it gets slipped again -- you know what magazines are like...). I have the regular back page column there too.

And thanks for the kind wishes.

Cheers,

R.

dmr
10-08-2009, 05:47
...three days of it in intensive care, is why I've not been on the forum. Appendicitis with complications. Never mind; home now. Apologies for delays in responses, but I think you'll understand why!

Ouch! :( Hope you are feeling better! Please take care of yourself. :)

Brian Sweeney
10-08-2009, 06:24
Welcome back, I'm glad you are out of the hospital!

leica M2 fan
10-08-2009, 06:55
Glad to see you're back home and feeling much better. You'll still have to take it easy for a good long while. Take care.

wgerrard
10-08-2009, 07:16
Ouch, Roger. Painful and scary. Hope you have a worry-free recovery. Your absence was apparent. Take care.

fuzk
10-08-2009, 07:25
Good to hear you're feeling much better. I wish you a speedy recovery!

back alley
10-08-2009, 07:33
all the best roger, get well.

joe

Roger Hicks
10-08-2009, 07:36
Dear Joe,

And to you, four years on!

Thanks,

R.

Sparrow
10-08-2009, 07:45
have a speedy recovery Roger

regards

drewbarb
10-08-2009, 07:48
Glad you are feeling better; best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery, and here's hoping both you and Frances are done with time in hospital for a while!

JohnTF
10-08-2009, 07:52
Roger, you know my prescription, Fois Gras and d'Yquem -- no heavier lifting.

Bizarre year 2009, expect I will be very happy to see this one over.

Here's to a much improved 2010.

John

ps-- is it time for a thread on why you guys abstain from the use of the definite article in the use of Hospital? ;-)

Does it get you there faster?

faris
10-08-2009, 07:54
Roger, my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Best.

Muggins
10-08-2009, 08:08
As another who won't get appendicitis again, you have my sympathy, and my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Just bear in mind that between bugs and drugs and slicing, your body has taken a big hit - so the next bug that comes along, however innocuous it seems, may well flatten you. So take care, and don't be afraid to be a jessie and go to bed if you get a cold.

Adrian

David Hughes
10-08-2009, 08:56
Welcome back; take things easy for a while.

Regards, David

MartinP
10-08-2009, 09:29
You'll be back doing cartwheels in no time . . . errrmmm, something like that.

Obviously, take care to have a complete recovery before rushing about again. I hope to be able to say hallo in Arles next year. Best wishes to Frances too.

nikon_sam
10-08-2009, 13:43
Roger,
Take time to let your body heal properly because NOW you can go into Outer Space...
All kidding aside...Take time & Take care...

Chuck Albertson
10-08-2009, 14:00
Ugh...I hate hospitals, even when they're doing a solid job of saving my life. There's just no way to sleep while you're in the ICU, so I'm glad you're out and recuperating at home.

gdi
10-08-2009, 14:06
An unexpected bump in the road! Get well soon.

FrankS
10-08-2009, 14:47
Happy to hear that you're back in the saddle again, Roger.

Trius
10-08-2009, 14:48

Cheers,

R.
Wow, what a coincidence. Last Wednesday evening my wife called (I work in Windsor ON, about 350 miles/570 km from Rochester) to say she was going to emergency after a couple of days of being sick. She called at 5:00 am the next morning to say she would be going into surgery for appendectomy.

Long story short, the appendix was perforated, she had sepsis, BP dropped to 50/20 during surgery (she remembers floating to the ceiling and looking down), the appendix had to be removed via open surgery rather than "in camera", and she spent 6 days in hospital.

She is home as of yesterday afternoon and feisty now, beat the doctor's prediction of minimum stay of 7 days by a day, but got exhausted early today.

Abdominal surgeries can be really bad, one of the leading causes of death in hospital.

Glad you're home and all is well, Roger ... be gentle with yourself, be gentle with others.

All:

DON'T TOUGH IT OUT/BE A HERO, KNOW SYMPTOMS, KNOW WHAT ACUTE PAIN REALLY MEANS, CALL AND GO.

Haigh
10-08-2009, 19:58
Get well Roger, good to see you are back.

CorreCaminos
10-08-2009, 20:01
Roger,

Glad to hear you're feeling better and back home. Get well soon!

Roger Hicks
10-08-2009, 22:15
Wow, what a coincidence. Last Wednesday evening my wife called (I work in Windsor ON, about 350 miles/570 km from Rochester) to say she was going to emergency after a couple of days of being sick. She called at 5:00 am the next morning to say she would be going into surgery for appendectomy.

Long story short, the appendix was perforated, she had sepsis, BP dropped to 50/20 during surgery (she remembers floating to the ceiling and looking down), the appendix had to be removed via open surgery rather than "in camera", and she spent 6 days in hospital.

She is home as of yesterday afternoon and feisty now, beat the doctor's prediction of minimum stay of 7 days by a day, but got exhausted early today.

Abdominal surgeries can be really bad, one of the leading causes of death in hospital.

Glad you're home and all is well, Roger ... be gentle with yourself, be gentle with others.

All:

DON'T TOUGH IT OUT/BE A HERO, KNOW SYMPTOMS, KNOW WHAT ACUTE PAIN REALLY MEANS, CALL AND GO.

Wow!

Makes me realize how easy I had it. And I got some REALLY interesting dreams with the morphine -- wasn't all bad!

Yesterday I was talking to my father about this (he's 82). I asked him if he could remember how long I was in hospital the last time I was in one overnight or more -- in 1953!

He said, "It seemed like forever." I was just shy of 3 years old and my brother was born when I was in hospital (isolation hospital -- I had diphtheria). But he also said that he hadn't spent a single night in hospital since he had appendicitis in the 1940s.

If I can equal my own record, I'll be 115 before I need to go in again...

Send your wife my very best regards, and we'll start a get-better-fastest race (without being silly about it!)

Cheers,

R.

Uwe_Nds
10-08-2009, 22:28
Roger,

Good to hear that you are better already.

Take care!

Cheers,
Uwe

rover
10-08-2009, 22:42
All the best Roger. Like others have said, be a good patient and heal.

D.O'K.
10-09-2009, 03:10
Sorry to hear of these horrors but very glad you've survived them and are back writing.

Best wishes,
D.

PS: I've a friend who passes off his appendectomy scar as something acquired "duelling at Heidelberg" (a place he's never even visited). He says almost everyone believes this. Just a thought...

oftheherd
10-09-2009, 03:53
Glad you have come though this well Mr. Hicks. My bout was about 1972. I was first diagnosed with flu. I remember the doctor gently touching my abdomen when he said they wanted to do surgery and it felt as if he had hit me with a mallet. I told him to do whatever it took to stop the pain. Only those who have had it can relate.

Anyway, continue to recuperate quickly. Move as you are able as that really helps in the healing. Just don't over do. Glad all is well!

Gid
10-09-2009, 04:07
Glad to hear you are up and about and on the mend. I'm sure I read somewhere that an additional benefit of the Leica M9 and any new Leica lens is that is hastens recovery from surgery - what to do eh? ;)

Trius
10-09-2009, 05:18
Roger: Sheryl, my wife, announced this morning that she WILL drive herself to Titus plaza here in Irondequoit to have a pedicure and some retail therapy at Wegmans. I know I can't stop her, so have requested she make sure she take her mobile phone and have it switched on. Sigh.

As to the morphine, she does not like it at all, and had hallucinations at night. After some wrangling with the staff, she got Toridol with the morphine button as emergency backup, which suited her better.

I will convey your wishes ... Best to you and Francis.

Earl

Roger Hicks
10-09-2009, 05:26
Roger: Sheryl, my wife, announced this morning that she WILL drive herself to Titus plaza here in Irondequoit to have a pedicure and some retail therapy at Wegmans. I know I can't stop her, so have requested she make sure she take her mobile phone and have it switched on. Sigh.

As to the morphine, she does not like it at all, and had hallucinations at night. After some wrangling with the staff, she got Toridol with the morphine button as emergency backup, which suited her better.

I will convey your wishes ... Best to you and Francis.

Earl

Dear Earl,

Hey... I LIKED the hallucinations! With a minimum of effort I could turn them into lucid dreams, which is something that's always fascinated me.

Tell her she's a silly girl to go driving like that. Then again her car is probably less hard work to drive than my 1972 Land Rover. That's what I meant about a get-well-faster race without being silly.

Sure, she'll be all right. But the point is, that doesn't make you worry any less. I was a lot less worried about me than Frances was. I knew I was all right (as Sheryl knows she is all right). But you don't know that.

Cheers,

R.

anglophone1
10-09-2009, 09:56
You and Frances are having a tough year old boy, thank God for the French health system!!!
I think a glass of good whisky ?
See you soon
Clive

kitaanat
10-09-2009, 19:14
Welcome back and get healthy.
:)

oldoc
10-09-2009, 19:46
Glad you're back in one piece.
Not a fun ride.
Welcome home.

amateriat
10-09-2009, 20:06
Whew...I was talking to someone about the car accident I was in (at age 17), and all the intestinal mileage that had to be taken out of me as a result, at which point the hospital "crew" took a look at my appendix, which was fine at the time, and decided to remove it. "You don't need it, and it'll only cause you trouble later", they said afterward. I never appreciated this "executive decision" until a few years afterward.

Roger: Glad you're on the mend. Take it easy getting back up to speed!

Trius: Really glad your wife is okay! That's perhaps the scariest call to get. Best wishes to her!

- Barrett

Trius
10-09-2009, 21:20
Roger,

Yes, she is silly. She had a good time, but later in the evening I think she "paid" for it. Ah well, she is, by her own admission, pig-headed.

She drives an '04 Honda Civic, which I imagine is a bit zippier than your Land Rover.

As for her hallucinations, they coincided with (were prompted by?) an evening move from the step-down unit to regular post-surgical ward, during a shift change which meant lots of noise and chaos. If I had morphine and experienced hallucinations, my guess is they might be strange, mystical in nature. But I don't want the oppotunity under those circumstances; I'd rather come by insight via a bit more conventional means. :)

Barrett: Thank you, I will convey your wishes as well.

Bob Ross
10-10-2009, 14:16
Roger,
Been off the forum a while and came back to find this. Glad to hear that you are back home, that is good medicine, by itself. You do have my sympathy, my six pack looks more like a crinkled old road map of where the surgeon went on his last holiday. Enjoy your chair.
Bob

dee
10-10-2009, 14:22
Glad you are OK Roger - I don't think I could dee'l with halucinations as well Earl !
Getting to that age when the NHS is becoming a habit .

JeffGreene
10-10-2009, 14:24
I have been off the forum myself for the last few weeks, my wife is in cancer treatment and had septicemia. We had a very close call, but it now looks like she's on the mend as well. Glad to hear you're feeling better. Let us know your progress on the novel. One potential purchaser here for your novel, and that's sight unseen!

Jeff

Michael Markey
10-10-2009, 14:30
Roger
Seemed to have missed this for some reason.Pleased to hear that you are well again.Some years are just crap,health wise, just had one myself. Keep on keeping on, as someone once said.

Michael

gb hill
10-10-2009, 14:59
Seems it wasn't long ago I read Francis was in the hospital. Glad to hear you are recooping & hope you & Francis have a wonderful 2010 coming up. Also glad you wasn't put on a 6 month waiting list as some are reporting about European Healthcare!

Trius
10-10-2009, 15:30
Jeff: What a challenge. All the best to your wife, and to you as you support her.

35mmdelux
10-10-2009, 15:34
Glad youre felling better.

chapeau - Paul

JeffGreene
10-10-2009, 19:06
Jeff: What a challenge. All the best to your wife, and to you as you support her. Thanks, your thoughts are appreciated. I'm just glad Roger, is getting back on his feet! I have always valued his input. :-)

Roger Hicks
10-11-2009, 00:36
I have been off the forum myself for the last few weeks, my wife is in cancer treatment and had septicemia. We had a very close call, but it now looks like she's on the mend as well. Glad to hear you're feeling better. Let us know your progress on the novel. One potential purchaser here for your novel, and that's sight unseen!

Jeff

Dear Jeff,

(And everyone else, but Frances had breast cancer in 2000 So I'm particularly sensitive to that). Thank God your wife is on the mend! I'll go and light some Tibetan incense for her. I'm less than convinced it has any specific, immediate effect, but equally, anything which makes you think of others and a better life for them is a useful contribution to the world at large and a useful antidote to those whose lives are devoted to hatred and a wish for others to fail.

Yes, Frances was in hospital for a week with a particularly vicious bronchitis about six months ago, but she's much better now. She still has PPR (pseudopolyarthrite rhizomelique) which mimics arthritis in one joint after another but that's going away (slowly) too: it normally lasts up to about 5 years and she's had it for about 3.

I've just woken up from 11 hours sleep (well, minus two trips to the bathroom at my age); 10 hours the night before; 9 hours the night before. Last Saturday/Sunday -- none at all (though I did have fun with the hallucinations).

Cheers, (incense now lit)

R.

Roger Hicks
10-11-2009, 03:30
Roger, you know my prescription, Fois Gras and d'Yquem -- no heavier lifting.

Bizarre year 2009, expect I will be very happy to see this one over.

Here's to a much improved 2010.

John

ps-- is it time for a thread on why you guys abstain from the use of the definite article in the use of Hospital? ;-)

Does it get you there faster?
Dear John,

Well, even Americans don't say "When I was at the school or at the university," so it must be what sounds natural.

Besides which, I was actually at three hospitals in a week: Accident & Emergency at Loudun Thursday/Friday, Thouars Friday for the operation, Poitiers (teaching hospital) Friday/Saturday/Sunday for super-intensive care after the complications, back to Thouars Sunday to Thursday, intensive care on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday morning.

Thanks for the good wishes,

Cheers,

R.