PDA

View Full Version : Five faults I hope the M9 doesn't have

Roger Hicks
09-08-2009, 03:07
Even before the camera is released, the nay-sayers are damning it. I thought I'd join in. Here are five things I hope won't apply:

1 Exploding with enormous force and levelling half a city block
2 Exuding a deadly poison from the body covering, so users die slowly and horribly
3 Incorporating an augur which gouges your eye out when you try to use the viewfinder
4 Emitting a ray unknown to science which turns people's skins green
5 Melting at temperatures above the freezing point of water

Cheers,

R.

mwooten
09-08-2009, 03:16
Yes, those would be really bad features for most any camera.

nyx
09-08-2009, 03:21
ad 4) even if it's green with envy? :)

Ronald_H
09-08-2009, 03:23
Some features/stuff I can do without:

1. 'KR' exposure priority. KR stands for Ken Rockwell of course.

2. 'Stealth feature' which turns it into a Canon rebel look-a-like at the flip of a switch.

3. 'Snob alert' mode in which a giant Neon sign appears above the owner: 'Oh look, a Leica M9!'.

4. 'Pre-brassed' editions, much like stonewashed jeans.

5. A 500$ rewind crank, just because it would look so cool.

kshapero
09-08-2009, 03:27
I don't consider any of the above to be deal breakers.

functus
09-08-2009, 03:27
Even before the camera is released, the nay-sayers are damning it. I thought I'd join in. Here are five things I hope won't apply:

2 Exuding a deadly poison from the body covering, so users die slowly and horribly
3 Incorporating an augur which gouges your eye out when you try to use the viewfinder

Cheers,

R.

Fault number four will be ameliorated somewhat by the use of a special filter that Leica will mail to all users.

My reasons for not buying the M9 the day of release are:

1) It does not incorporate a way to alter the space-time continuum. C'mon, Leica, this is 2009!
2) No invisibility cloak. Why buy a camera that is going to be a magnet for thieves and stand out like a sore thumb?
3) Most new cameras have automatic face detection. If Leica were to really do something interesting, I suggest automatic tasteful-nude detection along with auto-soft-focus for that artistic look.

parsec1
09-08-2009, 03:37

Cheers,

R.

Then also the old Fleet Street no no of not photographing HM the Queen when smoking or drinking. a matrix on the bottom of the viewfinder
.NOT NOW YOU FOOL !

P

Keith
09-08-2009, 03:54
I can't remember the last time I was actually sick of a product before it was released! :p

This has to be a first ... enough to drive any digi fan screaming back to film. :D

Turtle
09-08-2009, 04:01
I think this just goes to show that the leaks at Leica are worse than we could ever have imagined. He has uncovered the infiltration of Leica by Al-Qaeda!

Cheers,

R.

rxmd
09-08-2009, 04:03

This would be a nice continuation of the tradition established with the M8, which absorbs rays known to science which turns people's clothes purple.

Trius
09-08-2009, 04:05
Back to film? No. Comprehension. :D

Gabriel M.A.
09-08-2009, 04:18

You forgot the most serious fault of all: it's not a Nikon. :rolleyes:

35mmdelux
09-08-2009, 04:28
ya forgot the magenta filter, meh.

Mark Wood
09-08-2009, 05:10

Cheers,

R.

So you've used a Pentacon Six waist level finder then?!!

Bill58
09-08-2009, 05:15
6.) priced above what the average, middle class man/woman enthusiast can afford.

OurManInTangier
09-08-2009, 05:49
What's an M9? Never heard of one before.

Roger Hicks
09-08-2009, 05:53
What's an M9? Never heard of one before.

Sorry, Simon, I mistyped for M10...

Cheers,

R.

Photon42
09-08-2009, 05:58

Cheers,

R.

Watched the wrong film hier soir? :D

Cheers
Ivo

Pherdinand
09-08-2009, 06:20
nr 5 is a bit strange.
DO you want it to melt at temps already BELOW the freezing point?or what?

AgentX
09-08-2009, 11:30
I hear it's going to filter out all visible light. On the flip side, the D-max on your prints will be astounding.

sevres_babylone
09-08-2009, 13:03
That would be one way to persuade people of the virtues of live-view.

DougFord
09-08-2009, 13:18
1) A ‘not so soft release’ shutter button with a sharp pointy metal thingy on top that pricks the tip of your finger every time you take a picture. ‘Suffering for your art’ is now much more than a hackneyed cliché, it’s a feature! :D

varjag
09-08-2009, 13:38
Yes hard release, for photography wasn't meant to be easy!

Austerby
09-08-2009, 13:55
I do hope it's not one of those digital only cameras - I trust we'll be able to choose to use film or not in it. Presumably the digital sensor can lie behind the film plane and only be used if no film is loaded?

Chuck Albertson
09-08-2009, 14:20
I tested the death-ray feature on the prototype M9 that Leica let me fool around with for a couple of weeks. It didn't even slow up the cat, so I expect it will be dropped from the production model. Look for it in the revolutionary M10, however.

Stephen S. Mack
09-09-2009, 17:36
I've heard it has fault #1, but there is recorded voice which tells you that you have _______minutes to reach Minimum Safe Distance.:D

With best regards.

Stephen S. Mack

caperunner
09-09-2009, 19:08
#7 Defaults to film without warning..

Pavel+
09-10-2009, 01:11
I really don't mind number one and two. It would be merciful compared to the pure torture of sending the camera back for a line in the sensor time and time again - wondering optimistically on each long trip. This kind of puts you out of your misery quickly and both should be considered features. ;)

Fez Parker
11-29-2009, 11:43
If digital is so good, why the new model every year or so ?

here for what its worth is 5 faults that most manufacturers dial in to digital cameras, I hope Leica doesn't follow suit by introducing ........

1. An 'M10' in 2010 Probably with an extra you can't live with out.

2. An 'M11' in 2011 Probably with another extra you can't live with out.

3. An 'M12' in 2012 Probably in a different finish you can't live with out.

4. An 'M13' in 2013 Probably in a colour you can't live with out.

5. An 'M9' special 5th year special edition 2014 at massive cost.(as if they are in expensive to start with.)

for the same money you could buy a new MP and.... a 35mm f2 ASPH Summicron

Fez Parker
11-29-2009, 11:52

5. An 'M9' special 5th year special edition 2014 at massive cost.(as if they are in expensive to start with.)

Fez Parker
11-29-2009, 11:54
WOOPS slip of the finger sorry

Keith
11-29-2009, 11:56

here for what its worth is 5 faults that most manufacturers dial in to digital cameras, I hope Leica doesn't follow suit by introducing ........

Yeah ... and in the year 2050 an M9 Miniature by 'Minox' on eBay for $140.00 that you can hang off your key chain.

To commemorate the little camera company known as Leica that 'thought it could' ... that folded in 2014!

:D

Fez Parker
11-29-2009, 12:08
Hi Keith, More seriously, I honestly fear that hard drive storage will have changed totally and dvd media ruined by age. at least a piece of film can be seen by the naked eye.
and if you can see it you can copy it.
will this generation of amateur photography be lost to future generations ? People ditch computers but most wisely store their phots on DVD ( corruptible media ! )

sojournerphoto
11-29-2009, 12:14
Hi Keith, More seriously, I honestly fear that hard drive storage will have changed totally and dvd media ruined by age. at least a piece of film can be seen by the naked eye.
and if you can see it you can copy it.
will this generation of amateur photography be lost to future generations ? People ditch computers but most wisely store their phots on DVD ( corruptible media ! )

My bold - I'm not sure that's really true. Yes you should be able to rig up some form of enlarger and make your own sensitized paper and chemicals, but actually we are already wondering how to scan negs going forwards at anything like a sensible cost.

As bmattock would say, digital is the future whether we like it or.

Mike

Fez Parker
11-29-2009, 12:15
Oh I don,t think they will fold as I don't think rich folk will stop buying fish eggs called caviar ( its expensive = its good )

Don't get me wrong though I love good quality and engineering Leica have always made some of the best tools for the job if not the best. a plumber at the top of his trade wouldn't retrain as a bricklayer.

Fez Parker
11-29-2009, 12:21
I know that the future is digital and I have embraced it commercially.
www.andyparkerphotography.co.uk

but I still love platinum prints and vintage motorcycles, and more is the point we can still get the chemistry and spares

Fez Parker
11-29-2009, 12:41
My point is, I can take a picture with both my £1000 Nikon DSLR and £5 Olympus sp. If I don't make a Print, I will have a lot of Zeros and Ones from my Nikon but I will have an Image viewable with the naked eye from the Olympus. and I have seen a lot of very very old slides and negs, specifically from the amateur photographer, which by the virtue of their common roots will become social history document.

I fear that the zeros and ones will be landfill or tea coasters

Rob-F
11-29-2009, 13:34

Roger, I had a camera that came pretty close to that. The finder on my old Hasselblad SWC, which tapered back to a small area perfect for eye-gouging, must have been designed with that purpose in mind! The later model is much better to look through--and safer looking! :)

sojournerphoto
11-29-2009, 13:55
My point is, I can take a picture with both my £1000 Nikon DSLR and £5 Olympus sp. If I don't make a Print, I will have a lot of Zeros and Ones from my Nikon but I will have an Image viewable with the naked eye from the Olympus. and I have seen a lot of very very old slides and negs, specifically from the amateur photographer, which by the virtue of their common roots will become social history document.

I fear that the zeros and ones will be landfill or tea coasters

Andy

Sorry, I came across a bit abrupt. Perhaps because I enjoy shooting film and can see it becoming practically impossible for us part timers. I appreciate that as a working wedding photographer you probably need to work digitally to make it work in today's fast food environment. I shoot both film and digital and don't really have an axe to grind. I agree that most of todays digital images will be lost and if the negs or trannies survive you can look at them. But, I suspect getting the images off may become harder or more expensive in the future.

My solution is to print what I want to be kept.

MIke

johannielscom
11-29-2009, 13:55
One shortcoming I hoped the M9 wouldn't have (but has):

The M9 and M8 have a Continuous Mode function that is a direct descendant of the M6 and M7 with Leica winder.

When shooting a camera with a winder, you let the winder make the pace. It's no use pushing the shutter release anew mid-cycle, the camera does not respond to it. BUT: with the M8 and M9 this is different. While modern DSLRs have some kind of buffer memory between the shutter release and the shutter, the M8 and M9 have not. When pushing the shutter release mid-cycle, the camera can generate a shutter fault. Apparently this particularly happens when you flood the image buffer in the M8, maybe on the M9 as well. The LCD says shutter fault, the camera freezes up and in extreme cases only resets after the battery is removed.

It's very hard to keep the difference between a modern DSLR and the Leica M8 or M9 in mind while busy shooting. You have to depress the shutter and let the camera make the pace, instead of push the shutter release at will. This is one thing I do not miss since I have sold my M8.