PDA

View Full Version : new olympus 35LC

d_ross
09-03-2009, 16:54
I have just purchased an Olympus 35 LC and wondered if anyone knows much about them, as there is little on the net about them that I could find. Looks like a great camera, and needs to be as I paid NZ$240 for it at auction! probably paid far too much for it but I figure the guy who bid $1 less than me will always buy it if I don't like it :) it is mint though. as pic shows

I like the push button metered manual it has no auto. But not sure about the non click aperture ring which could be easy to move without knowing. Ive read lots about the lens G Zuiko 42 1.7 being a very good lens, but would love to know what other people know about this model.

What do the RC LC DC etc stand for ?

rovnguy
09-03-2009, 18:33
This was my first quality camera. I bought it in Flagstaff, Arizona in the late summer of 1968. It went everywhere with me until 1972 when I gave it to my brother. Every thing about this camera was well thought out in the design process. The non-click aperture ring was never a problem... in fact it enabled the user to fine tune the meter setting. Enjoy your treasure!!!

kuzano
09-03-2009, 20:18
The G (7th letter of the alphabet) indicates a 7 element lens and the aperture at 1.7, make the lens highly suspect at the same lens in the 35SP. The black plastic frame around the rangefinder also definitely ended up on the front of the 35SP.

I suspect it's the same camera, but without the spot metering function???. Also, the meter is in the lens surround rather than above the lens like the SP.

I'd wonder if it is all automatic function, or if it has manual override like the 35SP.

d_ross
09-04-2009, 13:23
It's definately all manual no auto at all, just the push button metering which seems accurate as well. your right rovnguy, it's a nice camera to use.

What I was wondering was what the LC etc stands for on the Olympus rangefinders, I get that the sp is for spot metering but cant figure the others.
If the lens on this one is as good as I've read they are, I think I have a keeper!

caperunner
09-04-2009, 17:21
I would agree that you have a keeper there. I was after that one too!
Not sure about the LC designation myself but I think some German cameras had a similar system where the 'L' I think, was code for RF. Don't quote me on that! It could also mean something like 'Luxury Camera'!
Enjoy. I have some earlier Olympus RF up to RC and they are great.

d_ross
09-04-2009, 17:58
was that you I was bidding against?

It's a great camera, I haven't finished a roll of film yet, but if the lens is as good as they say then I'm happy to have paid that much for it. When you turn the shutter speed ring it also moves the aperture ring to correspond with the new speed, but when you just turn the aperture ring its really smooth, such a cool design feature. and as far as I can tell by my own exposure guestimations the meter is right on. the viewfinder is good too, it's a bit dusty but I'm loath to take it apart to clean it as the camera is so mint, I'd hate to damage it in any way.

If the lens is very very good like everyone seems to say, then keep your eye out for one it's worth paying decent money for one.

bgb
09-04-2009, 18:18
i was watching it too ... but once the bidding got silly i let it go

cheap compared to its new price and I'm sure being an oly it will take fine photos

congratulations

There is a Yashica GSN on at the moment ...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=239811856

yum yum ....i want it so watch out :)

d_ross
09-04-2009, 18:52
that looks like a great GSN! I just sold 3 of them a GT GTN and GS as well as a Konica Auto S2 and an Olympus 35 RC. I decided that I'd rather just have the one RF camera, so in effect I traded them all for LC which I am now happy to have gotten bidding fever over :-) good luck with that one if your bidding.

bgb
09-04-2009, 19:02
bidding fever is NEVER over ... it might go away for a while but it always comes back

but the prices are not all that high so why not as the cameras can always be resold

If i could only have ONE RF it would be a mint GSN or a M7 !

....yeah right

d_ross
09-04-2009, 21:58
The way I looked at it is that as I had already sold all my other RF's I had the money, and considering how much camera you can buy for $240 figured that even if it was a lot for such an old camera it was worth it, and I'm not disappointed. The more Ive used it the more I like it, just realized earlier that the button for the meter is exactly under the thumb when holding the camera. everything about it is good, and nothing beats a rangefinder as a with you all the time camera!

d_ross
09-04-2009, 22:02
I'd be keen to hear anyone if anyone reading this thread know if it's a big deal to take the top off these to clean the rangefinder glass?

caperunner
09-04-2009, 23:33
I was watching ready to pounce too but I have a self imposed limit for RF cameras usually. I was sorely tempted seeing the condition of this one. I admit to paying 1600+ for one RF camera I have.
@bgb I have several GSN if you would really like one. I have used one and it is a good camera, perhaps a little large. I have several other sorts I use in preference. So could send me a PM if you wish.

bgb
09-05-2009, 00:48
hi caperunner, want or need that is the question :)

I have a Electro 35 the very first model with the cut away in the base plate, it works fine even with the annoying clunk and the less than beautiful front element ... seems those things are not all that important in producing outstanding images ... and it cost $26.00 NZD!

I find it fits my hands perfectly but then i wear xxl/size 12 gloves ... by comparison i have trouble holding on to my Olympus XA it's just so little

The GSN in the auction looked nice and it has had a refurbishment so i'll just watch and see where it goes

I will keep your offer in mind thanks mate.

d_ross
09-07-2009, 16:31
Just processed my first roll of film from the LC, and really like the look. I'm quiet surprised how very sharp it is! and the metered manual in conjuction with the non-click aperture ring is so good to use, really quick and easy. the camera is a bit bigger than I had expected, but regardless it is now my favorite FL RF Ive used.

I have attached a pic and detail from same from my test roll.

Trius
09-07-2009, 17:08
It's a very good camera, yes the lens is very much like the 35SP's lens though it is physically larger (55mm filter thread vs 49mm) and the camera is larger than the 35SP.

I haven't used mine in a long time as I much prefer the size and ergonomics of the SP. However, the top deck meter readout is very handy for stealthy shooting, and the aperture and shutter speed controls can be locked together for EV type exposure control.

I really should take mine out and exercise it.

d_ross
09-08-2009, 12:45
Does the SP have the same metered manual as the LC ?

Trius
09-08-2009, 17:09
The SP has metered manual, but it reads in EV. The spot meter in the SP is a huge deal to me.

d_ross
09-08-2009, 17:24
Cheers Trius, the thing I like about the LC is seeing the match needle move with the aperture, which makes it really fast which is important, as usually if I need a meter at all it's because I don't have time to figure exposure out. still I'd like an SP I think :-)

Trius
09-08-2009, 17:43
Yeah, a match needle is nice ... I sometimes wish the SP had it. I started out with an OM-1, some am used to a match needle. Still I got used to the SP's EV read out and now it's second nature as well.