PDA

View Full Version : M9 lust and teenage fantasies

Roger Hicks
09-01-2009, 01:47
The current overheated fantasies about the M9 remind me of when I was a teenager. Many -- probably most -- teenage boys fantasize about some particularly pretty girl of their acquaintance, wondering what she looks like in the nude and dreaming of what they'd do together of she would Let Him. The fact that she is completely unattainable doesn't affect the fantasy.

Now: why on earth would the M9 threads remind me of this?

As soon as I realized the parallel, I thought, hey, I'll go back to dreaming about pretty girls, though admittedly as a very happily married man, I'm likelier to get (and to be happy with) an M9 than a teenage mistress. The important bit is recognizing what's a fantasy and what isn't, and enjoying life either way.

Cheers,

R.

user237428934
09-01-2009, 01:55
The current overheated fantasies about the M9 remind me of when I was a teenager. Many -- probably most -- teenage boys fantasize about some particularly pretty girl of their acquaintance, wondering what she looks like in the nude and dreaming of what they'd do together of she would Let Him. The fact that she is completely unattainable doesn't affect the fantasy.

Now: why on earth would the M9 threads remind me of this?

As soon as I realized the parallel, I thought, hey, I'll go back to dreaming about pretty girls, though admittedly as a very happily married man, I'm likelier to get (and to be happy with) an M9 than a teenage mistress. The important bit is recognizing what's a fantasy and what isn't, and enjoying life either way.

Cheers,

R.

A M9 is significantly cheaper than a divorce because of a teenage mistress.

newspaperguy
09-01-2009, 01:57
I don't know about you sir, but I am much more
likely to be able to handle the camera.

Aside from that, a provocative parallel.

Dave Wilkinson
09-01-2009, 02:01
How many of us could still do justice to either? :D

Bobfrance
09-01-2009, 02:05
And which would be more reliable? ;)

j_fletcher
09-01-2009, 02:12
Both likely to be very noisy in low light situations!! (sorry!)

amateriat
09-01-2009, 02:18
Galfriend has quite youthful looks and energy, so I think I'm covered there (thankfully). ;)

The M9 is to my Hexar RFs what a Buggati Veyron is to, say, a Honda S2000: Goes faster and makes wilder noises, but the Honda gives a huge thrill, you don't have to live in it because you had to sell the house to buy it, and you're not afraid to take it out frequently, or do some long-distance touring-type stuff with it.

Yeah, it burns film, but it's efficient (37-38 frames average) and happy with regular or hi-test. :D

(And, hey, I'd have change left over for one of these (http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2009/ModelPage.jhtml;jsessionid=GGIGVCQP3ZNTMCRNCB3CFFI KFUIHSIV1?family=SportClassic&model=SCGT1000-09)!)

Edit: I was grasping desperately for some non-motorized analogy, but the brain, she don't work so well after pulling an all-nighter.

- Barrett

Roger Hicks
09-01-2009, 02:31
... you're not afraid to take it out frequently, or do some long-distance touring-type stuff with it.

- Barrett
Dear Barrett,

Is that the M9 or the teenage girlfriend?

(All right, I plead guilty to sexism in referring to a teenage girlfriend as 'it' but once again the parallels are irresistible. As for the earlier post, about doing justice to either, the thing that some of us find hardest nowadays is focusing.)

Cheers,

R.

amateriat
09-01-2009, 02:37
Roger: I'm surprised you didn't pick up my quote about going faster and making wilder noises! Perhaps that might've been pushing it just a bit. :p

- Barrett

Leigh Youdale
09-01-2009, 02:37
My wife has been heard to mutter "Delusions of Adequacy" when my attention strays! My riposte is that it's a bit like exotic foreign cars - it's quite acceptable to admire the bodywork and mechanical aspects of such a species but I wouldn't have the nerve to ask for a test drive!
Series I Land Rovers don't cut it, by the way.

rbiemer
09-01-2009, 03:28
Then the M9 is the "mid-life crisis" camera?
One of the teenaged girls I liked waay back has become much more interesting--and interested--in the last ten years or so. I guess I'll be looking at the M9 in about 2030 or there abouts.
Rob

Ronald_H
09-01-2009, 03:47
The girls win every time...

I had a fling with a young colleague (26) this summer. Before I knew what hit me she already left me. 'It was all getting too serious'.

Yes it still hurts. Not even a free M9 will compensate for that, even I would fondle it on lonely winter nights...

Roger Hicks
09-01-2009, 03:56
The girls win every time....

Dear Ronald,

My feelings too. If you're going to have fantasies, why bother with cameras?

Bad luck about the colleague, though. Sorry to hear it!

Cheers,

R.

MacDaddy
09-01-2009, 04:00
To quote my Dad, "Son, now that you're married it's okay to look at the menu- just don't sample the diet!" Given the less than stellar history surrounding the M8 intro, the parallels with the teenage mistress become closer: How dependable are they? Will they REALLY satisfy our lusts/desires? Can they do the job we expect them to do for us?
I could go on, but I'll leave the rest to your fertile imaginations. Now, back to looking at that menu....8o)

skibeerr
09-01-2009, 04:17
Both likely to be very noisy in low light situations!! (sorry!)

You animal :rolleyes:

rover
09-01-2009, 04:35
How come this is the only M9 thread I have actually read?

djonesii
09-01-2009, 04:38
My wife calls the cameras "my girl friends" I think of them more as a stern mistress.

I maried late, choose well, and although the body work is a little out of style, the fit and ride are just what I like. Kind of reminds me of my M6 in fact. I would have no idea what to do with a little red convertable, or a teenaged fling.

The real quesiton is, just how stern a mistress will the M9 be, and can I really afford a sexy young thing all tarted up with a really sleek new body? Where would all those lovely wear marks be?

Dave

Dante_Stella
09-01-2009, 04:44
If it's anything like my M8 was, the M9 will be expensive, high strung, and unreliable when it's young. It's worth waiting for people (and cameras) to mature.

Brian Sweeney
09-01-2009, 04:47
Roger, I think thoughts on the M9 are more like the announcement of a new, fast car.

When I was a kid, the Shelby Cobra 500 was the car I wanted. Settled for a '72 Mustang. But I could make it do 135MPH. Now, I just like fast lenses.

Ken Ford
09-01-2009, 04:57
If I decide I absolutely have to have an M9, I may trot out the nuclear option - "honey, it's cheaper than a Harley!"

JohnTF
09-01-2009, 05:05
Roger, I think thoughts on the M9 are more like the announcement of a new, fast car.

When I was a kid, the Shelby Cobra 500 was the car I wanted. Settled for a '72 Mustang. But I could make it do 135MPH. Now, I just like fast lenses.

427 GT w/ Dual Quad Holleys?

Had one for a few weeks in 67, BION, a loaner from the dealership. Later bought a 67 Mustang 390 GT 335 HP, red line at 140, 55 in first.

Like Leica Digital, not simple to service.

Teenage girls more likely to swoon over the cars.

Was shooting a Rollei 3.5 TLR and Pentax Spotmatic.

Kept those longer. ;-)

John

John Robertson
09-01-2009, 05:05

Me too!!!:D

bean_counter
09-01-2009, 05:43
with the kind of shape I'm in, I am afraid that obtaining a teenager's interest would be more expensive than an M9

can't afford, and honestly don't want, either one. well, maybe an M9, if it's really FF....

JoeV
09-01-2009, 05:47
The problem with the teenage ones is they can't make good coffee in the morning; heck, they don't even drink coffee, nor know what the stuff should taste like.

Perhaps a poor analogy, but an affordable digital camera is like a cheap Las Vegas wedding; easy to acquire, but you get the sneaking suspicion that you'll be doing it again in a few years. Whereas buying a Leica is more like an expensive wedding, except the bride's father ain't footing the bill!

~Joe

user237428934
09-01-2009, 05:50
with the kind of shape I'm in, I am afraid that obtaining a teenager's interest would be more expensive than an M9

can't afford, and honestly don't want, either one. well, maybe an M9, if it's really FF....

Forget the shape you're in. You need the car. But that's more expensive too.

user237428934
09-01-2009, 05:53
The problem with the teenage ones is they can't make good coffee in the morning;

Start the machine. Press the button. Coffee ready. Where is the problem?

Roger Hicks
09-01-2009, 05:57
Start the machine. Press the button. Coffee ready. Where is the problem?

You forgot the grinding first.

Cheers,

R.

Gumby
09-01-2009, 06:02
What a creepy and pathetic discussion. I'm sorry I happened to find this thread. Eeew, I feel dirty now... time for a shower. You guys need a good, long, cold shower.

Roger Hicks
09-01-2009, 09:22
You are a cheery little fellow, aren't you, Gumby?

A couple of dozen lighthearted replies to a lighthearted post, then... you.

Cheers,

R.

Gumby
09-01-2009, 09:49
I'm sorry that you disagree in such a disagreeable way, Rog. I look at it as a mature attitude that shows respect to teenage girls and the reputation of RFF. But... "whatever".

kuzano
09-01-2009, 09:55
At present, a teen age mistress is far more attainable than an M9. They exist, while the M9 is a true fantasy which is yet to be made available.

DougFord
09-01-2009, 10:32
Sublimation
(the stigmata of M9 ownership)

johannielscom
09-01-2009, 10:46

:D:D:D (and more, until 10 characters)

amateriat
09-01-2009, 10:53
You forgot the grinding first.

Er....right. (I never forget that, and I don't even drink coffee.) :D

This thread is going some interestin' places...

- Barrett

amateriat
09-01-2009, 10:56
If I decide I absolutely have to have an M9, I may trot out the nuclear option - "honey, it's cheaper than a Harley!"
And less likely to get you in trouble...I think...

- Barrett

robbert
09-01-2009, 11:06
I actually DO have a teenage girlfriend while playing with my M3.
I would like a M9 though :)

micromontenegro
09-01-2009, 11:11
Another difference: for most, a teenage mistress is less desirable if she is full frame

Dave Wilkinson
09-01-2009, 11:12
What a creepy and pathetic discussion. I'm sorry I happened to find this thread. Eeew, I feel dirty now... time for a shower. You guys need a good, long, cold shower.You are quite right - of course! I have now had that long cold shower, and am now confined to the house for a week - to reflect on my shameful participation in this on-line debauchery :(
Dave.