PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 35 SP Case Question

elwrongo
08-28-2009, 00:47
I have an Olympus 35 SP :) and as you all know it needs a case because of the "always on" lightmeter. I don't have an original case and am unlikely to find one anytime soon. :(

Can anyone suggest a case from a standard camera that provides a good fit or anyother type of case that will serve an Oly 35SP shooters purpose in this regards

cheers

zuikologist
08-28-2009, 01:29
The SP is quite boxy and tall. Some of the older Cosina SLRs might fit. Otherwise, as a stopgap, tape or use a rubber band to hold some black paper over the meter window when not in use or remove the battery if in storage for a while. If the camera is in a closed camera bag, this should keep it quite dark anyway.

elwrongo
08-28-2009, 02:56
Thanks Zuikologist, yes the shape of the 35SP is a little singular. I've got quite a few other cameras and none of the cases come close. I thought about the tape but have been dismayed by the effect of tape on other cameras. It would also leave residue on the glass. The rubber band is not a bad option except what it would do to this nice cameras looks. Its not just the meter as well. I'd like to protect the camera when taking it out. There must be a another camera's case that comes close.

Trius
08-28-2009, 03:14
I've never used a case on any SP. One of my SPs has been modified for silver oxide batteries, the other two I just replace the batteries as necessary. The batteries are cheap.

zuikologist
08-28-2009, 03:17
Perhaps one of the Zing neoprene cases:

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:0b2w24sPeCkJ:www.tiffen.com/products.html%3Ftablename%3Dzing+zing+rangefinder+ case&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

A few batteries would be cheaper though.

ludoo
08-28-2009, 04:46
I am in the same situation, have a 35SPn but no case. I'd like one to protect the camera when carrying it around in a bag, and strangely there was one on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270445229672&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) last week with a BIN price of 20$. Only problem is, it feels weird spending as much for the case/shipping as for the camera itself.

elwrongo
08-28-2009, 18:26
I'd pay $20 for an original case. The shipping is a problem though. This is my second SP and I finally have one all working properly, be good to look after it. I can see from the cameras that I see for sale and that i buy that the ones with their cases are nearly always in much better condition. Especially in the charity shops. I picked up an Canonet QL19 the other week in its case in a charity store for $5. Its perfect.

elwrongo
08-28-2009, 18:29
The batteries don't bother me much, I use 675 Zinc Air, they work. Its more about protecting the camera. Howver, if its in a case you know the batteries should be good to go. Thanks for the Zing suggestions, I'll try and check them out.

Trius
08-28-2009, 18:29
I'll see what I can find for cases.

I'm not sure how much a case helps battery life. Zinc air starts depleting as soon as you remove the tab. Being in the case ie dark might help a bit but probably not a huge extension in life. If the camera is not going to be used for a while, I would remove the battery and tape up the air holes. But as you note, 675 hearing aid batteries are pretty cheap.

jesse1dog
08-29-2009, 03:18
I've just done a check with my 35SP and it goes into a Lowepro D-Res 25AW case. It's a bit of a tight front to back fit but does give you some reasonable protection. The case has a zipped front flap and camera goes in end-on. I found my case on eBay and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Made for 'digital' use, whatever that is. Might be an idea to look at the Lowepro range and check on interior dimensions.
Hope this helps.
jesse

elwrongo
08-30-2009, 04:42
Thanks guys, I'll check out the Lowepro case Jesse1dog. I'm using a pouch type case at the minute, might even be a Lowepro. iT fits aliright but you have to remove it entirely from the case to shoot with. I posted this here becasue i thought someone might have conquered this problem in the past by using an very ready style case from another camera. I actually tried an OM10 case and that was so close - but no prize. It just wouldn't close.......

Idiot! Just ran and tried an OM1 case, that's even closer. One button will clasp on the back. Okay thats the best one so far. Still a tight squeeze though.

jesse1dog
08-30-2009, 08:01
Just ried my OM20 long nosed Olympus case and the SP fits quite nicely with room to spare. Can't think mine will be the only one.
Should have tried earlier!!
J

elwrongo
08-31-2009, 17:21
Jessedog I think you've cracked it! Not that I've got an OM20 (I couldn't say why). I'll be on the lookout now though. It's great that its an Olympus case too.

elwrongo
08-31-2009, 17:40
I love this forum. Someone, a very kind Rangefinder forum member (Earl Dunbar) has written to me saying he has an original Olympus 35SP case that he is willing to let me have for the cost of postage. Well knock me down with a feather. Thankyou Earl!

zuikologist
09-01-2009, 12:42
Well done Mr Dunbar.