PDA

View Full Version : Why is Voightlander...

Roger Hicks
08-18-2009, 04:20
...such a seductive mis-spelling? I even type it myself occasionally (once in a hundred times, maybe) but normally I notice as soon as I do. I don't think I ever type 'lense', though.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

R.

newspaperguy
08-18-2009, 04:23
Jeez, Rog....

It's a 'furrin' language to us statesiders. :rolleyes:

(I never do 'lense' neither... lenses, yes.)

Rogrund
08-18-2009, 04:28
Maybe because of this (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000685/) man?

Trius
08-18-2009, 04:29
You're secretly in love with Jon Voight.

Edit: Yikes, two of us with the same idea, simultaneously.

sahe69
08-18-2009, 04:29
Maybe you're subconsciously thinking about Jon Voight? :) :eek:

edit: 3 of us thinking about him at the same time :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don Parsons
08-18-2009, 04:36
I have trouble with both of them but then I shoot SLR's too. :-)

kshapero
08-18-2009, 04:38
Doesn't Voightlander really refer to Jon Voight's Land Rover?

sahe69
08-18-2009, 04:43

After which Cosina's Mr. Kobayashi is lusting..... :D

telenous
08-18-2009, 04:43
The culprit, for me, has always been the Voight-Kampff machine:

http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/images/2006/02/BladeRunner_Voigt-Kampff_machine.jpg

pingle
08-18-2009, 04:51
John Voight the periodontist?

user237428934
08-18-2009, 05:00
Maybe you're subconsciously thinking about Jon Voight? :) :eek:

edit: 3 of us thinking about him at the same time :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hm. Strange forum. Isn't it more fun thinking about his daughter?

nzeeman
08-18-2009, 05:06
someone asked this few years ago - i had a theory that it is because of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voight-Kampff_machine
from blade runner - and maybe it feels more intuitive to english people to add h instead of writting voigt - i think there are not many words in english with GT pair...

Chris101
08-18-2009, 05:08
John Voight the periodontist?You watch too much TV.

How many people forget to umlaut the "ä"?

jky
08-18-2009, 05:27
... the g-h-t sequence always confuses me.

Roger Hicks
08-18-2009, 05:31
Stupid English ka-ni-guh-huts!

(Monty Python and the Holy Grain)

The longest pronounceable consonant sequence I know in Englishis GHTSBR

which of course appears in Knightsbridge.

Cheers,

R.

Rogrund
08-18-2009, 05:37
The longest pronounceable vowel sequence I know in Englishis GHTSBR

I thought that GHTSBR were consonants...;)

jonmanjiro
08-18-2009, 05:38
How many people forget to umlaut the "ä"?

I don't have problems getting the spelling right, but haven't got the faintest idea how to display the two dots above the "a" :confused:

I can write it in Japanese tho → フォクトレンダー :D

Roger Hicks
08-18-2009, 05:40
I thought that GHTSBR were consonants...;)

Good point! Amended to remedy the fact that my brain is clearly a LOT more faded this afternoon than yours.

Cheers,

R. (or possibly Aaaargh!)

Spider67
08-18-2009, 05:42
Hi jonmanjiro,
that would be "ae" wenn no umlaut is available....
Yes the Voight-Kampff machine creepy apparatus..
Roger are you hiding a past in special ops?

Roger Hicks
08-18-2009, 05:42
I don't have problems getting the spelling right, but haven't got the faintest idea how to display the two dots above the "a" :confused:

Alt 132 = ä

I am told (I have never verified it) that if you can't do the ä, the Voigtländer family prefer Voigtlander to Voigtlaender.

Cheers,

R.

funkpilz
08-18-2009, 05:46
I'm German, and I can't imagine ever misspelling Voigtländer. But that's because I know that the letters a and ä are actually very different.

sahe69
08-18-2009, 05:47

You're absolutely right. Maybe I shouldn't have drunk that bottle of Rodinal last night.....

jonmanjiro
08-18-2009, 05:56
I realise a and ä are different letters, but still cannot figure out how to type the ä using my keyboard (in this case I copied the ä from the post above). Alt 132 doesn't seem to work on my keyboard :confused:

No problems with Voigtländer vs Voightländer tho. The "h" in the second spelling looks odd to me despite being a native English speaker.

JohnTF
08-18-2009, 06:02

Right, but she spells it differently. ;-)

While you are focussing ;-) on spelling-- is there a list of commonly misspelled words of photography?

I generally overlook them in others, as the poor spelling karma is sure to strike me next.

I have also wanted to put an "h" in Voigtlander as well.

I did find some program to download some sort of spell check for posting.

Having good editors (live ones) check your copy sharpens the style a bit, as well as having teachers for mother and grandmother around to correct speech and grammar.

Spell check -- am not sure it helps or hurts -- but it is great for typos.

Regards, John

Roger Hicks
08-18-2009, 06:07
I was thinking more of the spare h than the presence or absence of the umlaut -- which I left out because almost no-one uses ä and the h.

Odd that although the diaerisis exists in English as a substitute for a hyphen -- re-enact, co-operate -- I can't think of anywhere it's used on an 'a'.

(Cue discussion on how to tie 'ae' in diaerisis...)

Cheers,

R.

Rogrund
08-18-2009, 11:23
German-speaking friends out there: I guess the initial v in Voigtländer should be pronounced as f?

peterm1
08-18-2009, 14:03

I couldn't be. George Costanza owns that - keeps it at his parents place in Queens.

Trius
08-18-2009, 14:57
R. (or possibly Aaaargh!)

Oh no ... not another pirate thread!!! :bang:

sojournerphoto
08-18-2009, 15:12
This is turning into a runaway train...

Chris101
08-18-2009, 15:35
After three veiled references, I feel compelled to link to this (http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheMomAndPopStore.html).

sojournerphoto
08-18-2009, 15:48
or this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_Train_(film))....

JohnTF
08-18-2009, 17:17
Oh no ... not another pirate thread!!! :bang:

If you know anyone on FB, they have an option at the bottom left to change the language, and one choice is Pirate English, pretty funny, for a while.

John

FrozenInTime
08-18-2009, 17:49
It's annoyed me for a while not knowing how to use ä without launching the character palette, but no more: on a mac, its :

ä = <option/alt> + <u> then a ( similarly for ë ï ö ü )

johne
08-18-2009, 18:15
In Micosoft Word, used Insert, Symbol, and umlaut. About as cumbersome as trying to pronounce the result.
johne

Chris101
08-18-2009, 18:34
On a Mac, type option-u then whatever vowel is next gets an umlaut. (duh.)

Chrïs

DanOnRoute66
08-18-2009, 19:00
I realise a and ä are different letters, but still cannot figure out how to type the ä using my keyboard (in this case I copied the ä from the post above). Alt 132 doesn't seem to work on my keyboard :confused:

No problems with Voigtländer vs Voightländer tho. The "h" in the second spelling looks odd to me despite being a native English speaker.

With most Microsoft operating systems, you can choose to use "United States-International English" for making umlauted (is that a word, native German-speakers?) ä's, ü's and ö's.

historicist
08-18-2009, 19:33
In Word, shift+control+: and then a (or e, etc. etc.). Or just write ae, which is correct as the two dots used to be a little e written above the letter.

Or just write Voigtlander ;)

JohnTF
08-21-2009, 09:09
Finally resolution, I just saw this listing:

Vintage-Voighander Dynamatic-35mm Camera

Maybe a cousin?

John

rpsawin
08-21-2009, 09:20
It's a marketing ploy designed to keep the brand name "Voigtlander" constantly in your thoughts. It seems to be working rather well...

Bob

Dunk
08-21-2009, 14:48
When in John Lewis last week I piched up an Olympus brochure and was rather dismayed to see a reference to a "lense" ... it's spreading ... but why? Keep words as short as possible - it saves ink!

Cheers

dunk

Jason808
09-01-2009, 10:00
John Voight the periodontist?

I was hoping for that when I started reading the thread. I did not leave disappointed.

Seele
09-02-2009, 08:39
I was hoping for that when I started reading the thread. I did not leave disappointed.

Bet you are expecting him to work at the same dental clinic as Phil D. Cafferty.

Nick De Marco
09-10-2009, 13:13
What about Lieca?

rya
09-10-2009, 13:24
Fred - I guess once you buy that name you mustn't make waste.

To summon the ä on a mac, see picture (build the character palette into the menu bar in system prefs, under international):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3425/3908013160_bd392c987f.jpg

Symeon
09-19-2009, 01:50
Johann Christoph Voigtländer Vienna 1756 - hence, the roots of camera making. Built the Petzval lens in 1840, I think. Still, its glasses have the Zeiss philosophy in them, rather than the Leitz. But I believe you already know all this.

Pherdinand
09-19-2009, 03:35
It's annoyed me for a while not knowing how to use ä without launching the character palette, but no more: on a mac, its :

ä = <option/alt> + <u> then a ( similarly for ë ï ö ü )

thanks for the tip! As a hungarian native and, in addition, needing to type funny math symbols often enough, reading your post i immediately tried out what the other option-keys will be doing.
I got to the option- q rather fast... :bang: and i actually do use opt-q and opt-w whenever needed...

Photon42
09-19-2009, 04:25
"Voigt" is an older spelling of Vogt, which actually means "reeve", or maybe, "custodian". Actually, the trema (¨) is sort of like the french accents. The word land would not require a translation here ;)

However, when writing with a reduced character set, in French for example one would just ignore the accepts, while in German the Umlaut is replaced with "ae", "oe", or "ue", respectively.

There is, however, a tendency to adjust to the "French" way here in some international spellings, such as Zurich Insurance (rather than Zuerich Insurance).

Ivo

Bike Tourist
09-19-2009, 10:47
The convention is, using only English characters (no, not Terry Thomas), to follow the "a" with an "e", thus Voigtländer becomes Voigtlaender. Ugly, huh?

Incidently, my character map umlaut a is alt0228.

retrobabe
10-13-2009, 02:37
oh my I am late with this reply. Voigtländer... The alphabet ä pronounced like aeroplane, is what do you know, indeed deciphered into *English* as really ae (wow). The german language in terms of pronounciation is truly quite a clean language .. if you learn you say your alphabets german style, you will be able to pronounce any german word! To add, you can spell ANY german word purely on hearing it. No confusion. So the two dots on top are called Umlaut which basically means the vowel infront of it, limited to a, o, u is strictly followed by the vowel e. ae, oe, ue,

Roger Hicks
10-13-2009, 03:12
No language is ever truly phonetic, though countless people believe countless languages to be so. Some are a lot more phonetic than others, it's true, with English WELL down the list, but the rules are often quite intriguing. Anyone for Maltese, where the 'q' is a glottal stop, represented by ' in the following: qaqocc ('a'otcch, artichoke), qara baghli ('ara bali, courgettes), dqiq (d'i', flour)? Hungarian? Nagyfroccs (nadge-frotsch, white wine spritzer, heavy on the wine)? All phonetic -- once you know the rules.

That's before you start on the languages with different alphabets. Tibetan is quite fun. A friend of mine lived at sa.ngak.chos.dzong, the mighty spell-protected Dharma-fortress. My own view is that Tibetan is the most phonetic of all, as it was designed to transliterate Sanskrit, but the trouble is, that only applies with a pure Lhasa accent.

Cheers,

R.

bsdunek
10-13-2009, 04:35
Johann Christoph Voigtländer Vienna 1756 - hence, the roots of camera making. Built the Petzval lens in 1840, I think. Still, its glasses have the Zeiss philosophy in them, rather than the Leitz. But I believe you already know all this.

I'm not sure everyone here does. Everyone just seemed to pass this right by.

My Dad gave me a Voigtlander "Baby" Bessa 66 for my 10th birthday in 1949. Great little camera! It just sits in my collection case now, as the film advance is worn and jams. Still love to hold it and look through the viewfinder.