View Full Version : UK Charger for RD-1

Donald Mann
06-14-2005, 16:17
I am going to the UK in September and taking my RD-1. I need a method to charge my batteries. I have the 110 volt North American model. Should I trek down to the corner Radio Shack and buy a converter for 220volts or attempt to get a UK compatible charger Epson charger (or equivalent)? Any advice from more-seasoned travelers welcome.

06-14-2005, 17:36
Is it the standard Epson charger that came with the camera? Mine says 110-240V on the back, which will work in the UK. Just get an outlet adaptor and you'll be good to go.

06-14-2005, 22:21
Outlet adapter is good advice! Your plug could very well NOT fit in them British sockets.

06-15-2005, 05:45
You will definitely need an outlet adaptor for the UK. Here's a link to various outlet shapes/sizes for countries around the world. I've never bought from them but the page is a good reference. Good for phone jacks too.


Look on the back of your charger/powersupply, if it says 110-240V you don't need a voltage converter. Most computers, video and camera chargers (that came standard with the unit) will be dual voltage. Cell phone chargers may not be.

Happy travelling.

06-15-2005, 06:00
Might be worth asking the Hotel/Inn/B&B that your going to be staying at if they have them.
A lot of the big hotels + smaller places that have Foreign customers have them for their guests.

Donald Mann
06-15-2005, 13:13
Is it the standard Epson charger that came with the camera? Mine says 110-240V on the back, which will work in the UK. Just get an outlet adaptor and you'll be good to go.

I never checked - I assumed it was 110 volt only. I'll check when I get home - thanks!

06-15-2005, 16:26
Here's a good travelling tip: whenever you are in a pinch without the correct outlet/voltage to charge your phone/camera, in most hotels that have a shaving outlet have a 110V plug in the bathroom you can charge there. It will usually take a US style plug. You can even charge in the shaving outlet in airplane bathrooms.

But as I mentioned earlier, most modern electronic equipment have 100-240V chargers/power supplies. This includes laptops and OEM digital camera chargers. But not necessarily cell phone chargers. Check first. Plugging 110V only into 220/220V will fry it. The other way around it just won't charge, or charge very slowly.

Jim Watts
06-16-2005, 02:46
The standard Epson charger (model A281H) is suitable for 100 - 240 volts (but check the back to be sure). The lead input to the charger is a "figure of eight" plug. The standard U.K. mains plug is a square three pin plug.

This type of lead ("figure of eight" - three pin plug) is used by many radios, chargers etc. and is readily available from U.K. electrical shops or computer stores for a few GBP (under $10), so you could just take the charger and buy a lead here.

Jim Watts
06-16-2005, 03:24
This link shows the cable you need. Third one down 4.16 GBP including VAT (about $7.50). http://www.counter-act.co.uk/acatalog/MAINS_LEADS.html

Donald Mann
06-17-2005, 04:19
Thanks for all the useful tips everyone. I'm in good shape now! :)

06-17-2005, 05:11
I just went through the reverse- I had to find a European-to-US adapter for the Nokia I bought over there. Had to visit a couple Radio Shacks, but it wasn't as hard as I thought, and eventually came up with a native charger.

Sigh. Why can't we be as far along with phone technology? Oh, that's probably for the best, considering my addiction to RF's...