PDA

View Full Version : July's Theme?

rover
07-01-2004, 09:07
??????

There had to be more folks awake on Saturday mornings. I am waiting for some more film to be developed, so I will hopefully have another shot or two to post in June.

What are we doing in July?

back alley
07-01-2004, 12:52
:eek: sorry, asleep at the wheel...

i thought for this month we would try something that rf cameras are really good at...

...environmental portraits.

more than the traditional head & shoulders shot, try adding some of the surrounding location in the photo or something that tells more of a story about the subject.

good shooting folks!

joe

Peter
07-01-2004, 15:42
Originally posted by backalley photo
:eek: sorry, asleep at the wheel...

i thought for this month we would try something that rf cameras are really good at...

...environmental portraits.

more than the traditional head & shoulders shot, try adding some of the surrounding location in the photo or something that tells more of a story about the subject.

good shooting folks!

joe

My favorite! :D

taffer
07-02-2004, 01:59
Doug will be happy this month :)

let's see, I managed to be pretty happy with myself on both Jan. and Feb. projects. March well, not too bad. April killed me, and by a no small number of reasons (and all mea culpa) I ended the month with only a few crappy shots :(

The abandoned cola saved May, so I'm really grateful to abandoned cans now :D. And most mornings of June have been spent... yeah, sleeping !

Let's see if the inspiration (and the guts) return with July, may be time to dust off the 35, what do you think ?

back alley
07-02-2004, 04:57
oscar, get out of bed, dust off the 35 and start shooting! lol

i feel confident that i just might post a shot myself this month.

joe

rovnguy
07-02-2004, 05:59
My submission for July: The Mother Road. A forty mile retreat to better times along a remnant of Route 66. Shot with my trusty Olympus XA using Fuji Reala 100 film, Aperture Priority, Manual Focus, 1/500 @ f/11.:cool:

Rich Silfver
07-02-2004, 10:10
Environmental portrait? Great theme!

May have to bring the camera into work one day next week.

(And hehe, changed the Avatar - atleast temporarily in anticipation of the first roll being developed as we speak...) :)

taffer
07-02-2004, 10:49
oscar, get out of bed, dust off the 35 and start shooting! lol

i feel confident that i just might post a shot myself this month.

joe

ok ok Joe, I'll try :D

too bad friday night means going to sleep after 3 AM or so... :cool:

Richard, should you develope sudden interest in (let's say) Alpas, Exaktas and Zorkis, how would you mix all them in a single name ? ;)

Rovnguy, a section of the A2 highway here in Spain looks EXACTLY like the one in your picture. It even has the old road (N-II) running parallel to it, the landscape is almost identical, and the trees/bushes are very similar.

oftheherd
07-02-2004, 11:19
Taffer asked: Richard, should you develope sudden interest in (let's say) Alpas, Exaktas and Zorkis, how would you mix all them in a single name ?

How about Alexatkis, or Zorktasal, or ZORKIScALPHAfragilisticEXACTAdocious?:D

Yeah, I know that's bad, but I'm not Richard (Sorry Richard :D )

Doug
07-02-2004, 12:46
AlpExaZork? :-)

Yes, Oscar, you can relax this month and awake late on weekend mornings! And this theme will help me do an extra-good job, hopefully! A 35mm lens, dusted off, would be a fine choice for environmental portraits! Depending on the circumstances, 21mm - 50mm could be useful. Mostly I use 28mm and equiavalent.

Rovnguy, I may be wrong here, but I don't think the theme is "Portraits of The Environment" but rather "People Portraits In Their Own Environments", showing people in context relating to their lives. I can see where the term could be ambiguous.

Nice shot though! Reminds me of a place along US 97 where the old route of the road went through a tunnel, now bypassed by the current hiway.

Richard, congrats on the new anticipatory avatar!

taffer
07-02-2004, 15:57
Originally posted by Doug
AlpExaZork? :-)

Yes, Oscar, you can relax this month and awake late on weekend mornings!

Oh man, look what have I done ! Now what are you going to think about me ?! :rolleyes:

BTW some names are not bad... hmmm... and ZorkAlExa ? The difficult thing may come when mixing that one with the already existing Leiumpblad... we need Richard for that !

Time for the Jupiter-12 and if it arrives before August, for the CV pancake as well, I already have some ideas in mind, mostly involving people I meet daily...

JohnL
07-03-2004, 11:26
I missed June not because I couldn't wake up in time, but because I couldn't think of anything intelligent that would fit the theme. I'll try to return in July ...

Marc Jutras
07-03-2004, 18:37
Hello all,

I'm fairly new here and to RF photography. I got my Bessa R2 about a month ago and I love it.

I know we're not supposed to use older shots but this one is pretty fresh (June 24th) and the kid's expression is just too good. I hope it fits the theme...

I shot this one with my Bessa R2, Ultron 35mm f/1.7 and Fuji Press 400. It was during neighborhood activities for the St-Jean-Baptiste day (Quebec's national day). There was painting for kids.

It was my only day off during the month. I'm a photographer and June has been simply crazy. I still have a wedding tomorrow and a golf tournament Monday. And we just moved the studio today! Time to go to bed!

I'll try to get some more during the month.

back alley
07-03-2004, 18:58
very nice shot.
i like your website also.
hopefully you will find some time and become a regular around here. we already have a small contingent of canadians and you are most welcome here.
i'm curious, being a professional photographer, as to the reasons you chose the bessa r2 over other rf cameras.
i recently picked up a bessa r with a couple of lenses and quite like them. i'm already thinking about another body, maybe an r or perhaps an r2.

joe

Peter
07-03-2004, 19:02
Hello Marc! Welcome to the forum. Great site you have there! It is good to have another R2 user. :p

Marc Jutras
07-04-2004, 04:51
i'm curious, being a professional photographer, as to the reasons you chose the bessa r2 over other rf cameras.
i recently picked up a bessa r with a couple of lenses and quite like them. i'm already thinking about another body, maybe an r or perhaps an r2.

Hi Joe,

Here's the story.

I have been shooting digital only for over 4 years but for the last year, I was considering getting an R2. I wanted to get a film camera for personal work. I felt digital lacked some things that only film had, especially in the image quality. Don't get me wrong, digital is fantastic and I still use it exclusively at the studio I work for. Film has its own look and it's just different. I missed it.

About two months ago, my personal DSLR (Canon EOS 10D) got stolen with about 2/3 of my gear. It was not insured as the insurance fees are simply outrageous if you want full coverage. It's close to 50% of the value of the gear. I couldn't afford it.

The night my gear was stolen, I started to look for a replacement. I quickly realized I wouldn't get anything satisfactory in digital with the money I had. Anything bellow the 10D would drive me crazy. So I decided I would go with film and I remembered my interest for the R2.

A local store in Montreal has the Voigtländer line and I knew a guy there. They accept trade-ins. So I traded in the lens and flash I had left. I got a very decent deal and got a R2 with the Ultron 35mm f/1.7.

Why the R2? I wanted a RF camera and it was the only one (new) I could afford that had the features I wanted and seemed well built enough according to users comments on the Web. So the T, L and R were not on my list.

I chose the Ultron 35mm f/1.7 as my only lens because I always liked this focal lenght. It's definitely my "normal". If you can have only one, that's a good choice. I also wanted the extra f stop since I love shooting available light (It's flash all the way at work...).

Last week, as I told you, I got the 75mm f/2.5. I started using it at the Jazz Festival and I really liked it. Focus is harder to get used to than on the 35mm but I'm getting there. I still haven't finished my first roll with the 75 so I haven't seen the result. I'm sure it'll be nice though.

So far, I'm really happy I decided to go that way. Going back to film is a blessing for me. I'm having fun again. The DSLR was really nice and I enjoy the ones I use at work but didn't go out to shoot on my own with that cumbersome gear. I can walk around with my R2 and don't feel miserable with a 40lbs bag or a huge brick hanging from my neck.

Film is kind of a Zen experience for me. Since every frame counts (financially and physically), I must think before I shoot. I must evaluate if the shot is really worth it. That doesn't happen with digital. Of course, digital lets you try as much as you want but I like being forced to see the result in my head, calculate everything and get it right without seeing the result right away.

Amazingly, I love not seeing the result right away! It's liberating in a certain way. I make my calculations, compose and shoot. I do my best and then forget about it until I get the film back from the lab. I must get it right the first time and I can only rely on my experience. This forces be to go back to basics and slow down (this is where it really gets Zen). It feels like a vacation when compared to the 1000-2000 shots a day on the job. No "machine gunning" with the R2!

I was surprised to see how quickly I managed to get used to this system. It had been so long since I had used film and manual focus. I thought it would take me more than a roll to get some consistency out of this system. I'm learning to trust the meter although I still carry my Minolta Auto Meter IV but I now leave the spot meter attachment at home (needed room for the 75mm anyway!).

So, I'm happy.

Doug
07-04-2004, 11:43
Thanks for sharing your story with us, Marc! Sometimes an unfortunate event steers us into a new and improved course. I have never lost/destroyed any photo gear other than minor items, so it just accumulates. And gathers dust if unused. I periodically dig out and dust off long unused gear to reacquaint myself with it and to see if it fits any current need. I'm on the point of dusting off my film developing stuff and souping a half-dozen rolls of traditional B&W film after a 20 year hiatus. It could be interesting... :-)

back alley
07-05-2004, 17:13
i'd say that qualifies nicely!

joe

Rich Silfver
07-05-2004, 17:52
Marc, welcome to the forum and great story there. The photo of the kid is great - good light on his face and good expression :)

rover
07-06-2004, 05:01
This theme is like a straight fastball down the middle of the plate for Brian. I am looking forward to a full gallery this month.

GeneW
07-07-2004, 03:06
BTW, will the July gallery category be created soon? There's nowhere to post yet.

Gene

back alley
07-07-2004, 04:41
jorge?

MP Guy
07-07-2004, 08:20
Ok, its done. sorry about the delay. Let me know if you want the title changed.

back alley
07-07-2004, 14:36
hey folks!
july's project has already beaten june's in terms of submissions!!

oh, and jorge, it's environmental portraits, not the environment.
thanks

joe

rovnguy
07-07-2004, 15:23
Perhaps this is more what was intended. An older Japanese couple cooling their feet in the very cold water of Oak Creek after hiking up the canyon for a couple of hours. Shot with the trusty Olympus XA on Fuji Reala 100 film. 1/60 @ f/8.

rover
07-07-2004, 16:13
hey folks!
july's project has already beaten june's in terms of submissions!!

joe

Yeah, and I am feeling kinda silly knowing that I am the only one not doing something exciting enough on Friday night to make Saturday morning a time for rest.

back alley
07-07-2004, 17:03
don't feel so bad.

i have rolls of saturday morning stuff, rolls of marketplace stuff and they are just staring at me to get up and develop them.

i'm waiting for my holidays in august when i will become a shootin' and developin' fool!!

joe

Todd.Hanz
07-08-2004, 19:36
A couple buds from my shop....

back alley
07-08-2004, 19:59
oh very nice shot!
i love the look on both faces.

joe