PDA

View Full Version : Olympus wide

puderse
07-28-2009, 05:02
I already have an XA and an XA 4 that both work perfectly but I noticed a Olympus Wide (early) at Goodwill.

Anyone any experience with this vintage camera? How will it compare, image wise with my XA 4? Would I only have a collectable with a little nostalgic appeal? Knob wind and no batteries of course.

zuikologist
07-28-2009, 08:49
I think Bill Mattock of this forum has one of these and liked it. there was more than one version I recall. It is probably worth grabbing at (low) Goodwill store prices.

burninfilm
07-28-2009, 20:23
You might look closely at the Goodwill camera (I assume you noticed the one over at their auction website). I'd bet it'll need a CLA, as it looks like the shutter isn't fully closed. Something to keep in mind.

Al Kaplan
07-28-2009, 20:34
With luck you can get the shutter loosened up and functioning by giving it some excersise. If it has a broken spring it'll need a repair. Some shutters hang up at the slow speeds where the escapement mechanism, a clock-work delay controlling when the shutter blades close, gets crudded up. Often just cycling it a few times on a faster speed will get it to close.

puderse
07-29-2009, 05:06
I'm wise to the Goodwill auction site. It is always buyer beware. I've gotten some dogs, and a few gems. Most of the dogs I've been stuck with I should have known better. They have shipped the wrong camera to me and refused to make it right. A $5 camera ends up costing about $20 with shipping and fees. Again it's always buyer beware.

Perhaps someone will bid it up too high for me!!!