PDA

View Full Version : Specific Elmarit-M 135/2.8 question

F456
06-22-2009, 15:53
Dear Roger,
Following on from recent discussion of the 135mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M lens, a quick test-drive reveals that the cam or goggles or both are out of alignment. I know this can be fixed but if the goggles are out it will be more expensive owing to time needed for this part of the repair. This is the Leica UK position.

As I can't test the lens properly for other characteristics while it is out of adjustment (I know the bodies are correct; they were recently reset and checked against my other lenses), can you tell me if this 135/2.8 has back focus when stopped down? I'm thinking here about its use on the M8.

I didn't have any problems - at least that I noticed - with my last example of this lens, but film bodies seem to be more tolerant.

It would be nice to sort this lens out as it is otherwise in such good condition. On the other hand, if it will involve large expense and still be difficult on a digital body I might return it. I won't discuss who will pay what on any repairs - that's another matter!

Many thanks,
Tom

Roger Hicks
06-23-2009, 11:58
Dear Tom,

I have never noticed focus shift problems, but then, I've never specifically tested for them. I suspect they'd have shown up even casually, so I don't think there are any, but I can't be sure. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Tashi delek,

R.

Pickett Wilson
06-23-2009, 12:04
I have one that does not focus correctly. None of the usual repair people want to touch it (I've asked). I'd suggest you return it if you can.

F456
06-24-2009, 08:54
Dear Roger & Pickett,
Thanks for your replies. It looks like I can get it fixed; it's a case of checking what it will come to altogether.

For some reason I do really like these awkward-looking lenses, because despite the difficulty of precise framing and fast focusing I got some great canoeing shots with one of these 135s on an M2 and M6 several years back (on Kodachrome as it happens!). It's that Leica look on colour film, basically.

Pickett,
Point taken about returning it, but first I'm going to see the estimates!

Roger,
Sounds like back focus isn't an issue. If it is, I'll simply stick to film - or full aperture - with this lens!

Cheers,
Tom

GlennB
06-24-2009, 09:56
Tom, when I first got my M8 and tried out my 135 2.8 I thought it had an alignment problem also. Then I got one of those Asian eyepiece magnifiers and found if I was more careful with my focus using the magnifier, more of my images were in focus. You might want to try some tests with some sort of eyepiece magnifer before giving up on the lens. On the other hand maybe it's just me with older eyes that need this helper.
Good Luck.
Glenn

F456
06-25-2009, 06:50
Hello Glenn,
Thanks for the suggestion. In fact I already tried this idea on my M7, which has a 0.85x 'tele' viewfinder, together with the 1.25x screw-in Leica magnifier. This showed up a considerable non-coincidence, with the top and bottom of the rangefinder rectangles being at different heights. The same applies with my other bodies,and I checked it without the magnifier too. I know what you mean about ageing eyes (mine have been declining at closer distances since I was about 45, and I'm 53 now). But no mistaking it's out, and that my other lenses are right.

I suppose even a cosmetically mint or mint minus lens is lucky to survive about 22 years completely unscathed if it's been used at all or moved around. Now to wait for the reports/estimate!

Best wishes,
Tom