PDA

View Full Version : How to turn OFF the SP meter?

Bill58
06-13-2009, 19:22
Can anyone please tell me how to do it?

Thanks,
Bill

bmattock
06-13-2009, 19:30
Can anyone please tell me how to do it?

Thanks,
Bill

Take out the battery. You can also cover the lens, which is supposed to stop battery draw. But there is no switch.

Trius
06-13-2009, 19:40
Capping the lens has no effect, as it is not TTL. Enclosing in a case is the only way other than removing the battery.

bmattock
06-13-2009, 19:44
Capping the lens has no effect, as it is not TTL. Enclosing in a case is the only way other than removing the battery.

You're right, my bad. The SP has that weird slot on the top of the front where it meters. Lens cap no good.

Bill58
06-13-2009, 20:35
That's what I thought, but just confirming. Keep it in a dark place or remove the battery are the only two options I guess.

Thanks,
Bill

planetjoe
06-13-2009, 21:32
When neither was an option for me, I used to crank the ISO on the meter dial (on the right side of the body when viewed from the front) all the way down to the lowest ISO (50? I don't recall). This would close a four-bladed iris over most of the meter window, reducing the intensity of the light falling on the meter.

Not sure, in retrospect, how much battery life this saved me.

Cheers,
--joe.

Trius
06-14-2009, 16:05
If you are using zinc-air batteries, I'm not sure how thy at works ... once the plastic is removed from the holes, the chemical reaction proceds even if you take the out of the camera. So replacing the seal (e.g., a small piece of tape) would be necessary to completely (if possible) stop them from losing juice. Granted there would be no electrical drain, but zinc-air ain't silver-oxide. If you get a full CLA from John, he upgrades the circuit to SR44 type silver-oxide battery. That's a good thing.

Bill58
06-14-2009, 16:15
Trius:

Thanks--I use the Kanto/CRIS MR-9 adapter w/ SR44 batteries and store them in individual small plastic bags at room temp. when not using. I never touch the adapters or batteries w/ my fingers-I use a pair of bamboo tongs.

Bill

julio1fer
06-26-2009, 10:42
Current drain is ridicuosly small. The batteries will last more or less the same as in a shelf. At least that is my experience with the SP.