PDA

View Full Version : Hood for 35 SP

SilverMiner
06-01-2009, 22:32
Hello - first post from a new 35 SP owner...

Can anyone educate me on the original metal hoods for the 35 SP? I bought a cheapo rubber hood for mine that works fine with no vignetting, but it interferes with the rangefinder focusing causing the split image to be far less distinct.

I'd assume this wasn't the case with the original hoods, but I don't know how to hunt one down. I suspect eBay is the place to look, but I haven't seen any specific to the SP in the past month that I've owned the camera (yeah, not the longest time to be searching). Any other sources you could suggest?

Or should I just trim the cheapo rubber hood? The lens seems to benefit from having the hood in place, at least outdoors anyway.

Thank you for your assistance!

btgc
06-03-2009, 01:37
Too bad there on ebay are no 49mm cylinder shaped screw-in metal hoods - for FL RF's I look for this kind of hood. Heavystar has only tele and wide variety for 49mm...probably ask him if he had one for standard lens. Not looking vintage, though easily available and not blocking RF window[s].

Bill58
06-03-2009, 01:50
A straight walled 49mm generic hood that's about 1/2 inch long/ deep works OK. I much prefer brass to aluminum due the galling of the latter. Heliopan makes some fine ones.

SilverMiner
06-03-2009, 19:50
A straight walled 49mm generic hood that's about 1/2 inch long/ deep works OK. I much prefer brass to aluminum due the galling of the latter. Heliopan makes some fine ones.

Thanks for the Heliopan suggestion - I wasn't aware of them. It looks like B&H sells some Heliopan hoods, but only the rubber ones in 49mm.

I've also noticed a couple 35 SP's on eBay that have a Photax straight walled metal hood mounted on them. But it appears that the Photax brand is only readlily available in the UK.

Bill58
06-03-2009, 19:55
B&W (Germany) hoods are also brass. Maybe B&H would special order either brand for you-don't know for sure.

Good luck!
Bill

Trius
06-03-2009, 20:28
Also look for a Vivitar 49mm hood. It's probably aluminum (I have one but not with me), but is shallower than the OM hoods for 49mm filter size. I tend to use the OM hoods as they are clamp on rather than screw in. More of the hood intrudes, but I'm so used to it it kinda disappears in my mind.

SilverMiner
06-03-2009, 22:43
B&W (Germany) hoods are also brass. Maybe B&H would special order either brand for you-don't know for sure.

Good luck!
Bill

Well, I feel silly - I didn't even think to check what B&H offered. Here's a B+W 49mm Screw-In Metal Lens Hood #950 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11139-REG/B_W_65041210_49mm_Screw_In_Metal_Lens.html) for $22.95, or a cheaper Kalt (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357635-REG/Kalt_NPMLH49_49mm_Metal_Lens_Hood.html) for $8.95. Any reason why either of these two might not work, i.e. vignetting? I wish B&H would publish dimensions, but I suppose with thousands of inventory items that's probably asking a bit much.

SilverMiner
06-03-2009, 22:47
Also look for a Vivitar 49mm hood. It's probably aluminum (I have one but not with me), but is shallower than the OM hoods for 49mm filter size. I tend to use the OM hoods as they are clamp on rather than screw in. More of the hood intrudes, but I'm so used to it it kinda disappears in my mind.

I'm new to the Olympus world, so I haven't had much luck searching for examples of 49mm OM hoods. Is there a particular lens or model number that would work best with the 42mm focal length lens of the SP?