PDA

View Full Version : Other creative interests

Roger Hicks
05-14-2009, 02:22
What other creative interests have you? For me it's writing; for my wife, embroidery and sewing. No doubt there are musicians on the forum, painters, sculptors, car customisers... Let's hear about it, and maybe about how it interacts (or doesn't interact) with your photography.

Tashi delek,

R.

Benjamin Marks
05-14-2009, 02:42
I'll play: bread baking (actually, not that different from developing wet prints . . . applied chemistry and all that) and lately: flute and guitar (not as competent at either as I would like). But in bread, I've been baking a no-knead loaf, which is a little like baking a sourdough sponge -- very wet dough with a very long rise (20 hours or so) and no kneading. Great crust though. My kids and I have been playing at gardening too -- we have lima beans, black beans and something local called a cowboy bean poking up from peat pots and getting ready to be planted. Dunno whether this counts as a creative interest or not, but the kids love it.

Ben

MickH
05-14-2009, 02:47
Is singing someone elses words to someone elses tune creative?

I do a bit of choral singing and photograph practice sessions.

Al Kaplan
05-14-2009, 02:50
http://C:\Documents and Settings\Al\My Documents\My Scans
http://C:\Documents and Settings\Al\My Documents\My Scans

gavinlg
05-14-2009, 02:52
Writing, Bonsai, Driving (yep it's art :)), making music and playing music.

chris00nj
05-14-2009, 02:58
None! Photography is my escape from excel spreadsheets, powerpoint, diagrams, drawings, financial statements and.... politics!

newspaperguy
05-14-2009, 02:59
Writing (Hey, it's a living), cartooning, some woodworking and occasional target shooting. Used to race sporty-type cars when I had less time and more money.

charjohncarter
05-14-2009, 03:01
Guitar, Ukulele, read mysteries.

CK Dexter Haven
05-14-2009, 03:05
Graphic design. Screenwriting. Studio music/production/writing: guitar, bass, synthesizer, MPC1000.

I think i'm forgetting something....

dlove5
05-14-2009, 03:16
Making picture frames. Funny thing is, I have yet to make one for one of my pictures. It started because I discovered having custom frames made was so expensive. I have a variety of molder heads and router bits and I enjoy seeing what different patterns I can come up with.

Pickett Wilson
05-14-2009, 03:22
Native American flute, shooting, bad blues guitar.

bmattock
05-14-2009, 03:23
Reading and learning more about the history of photography.
Reading and learning more about the history of the USA.
Traveling the USA's back roads and byways.
Culture-jamming.
Listening to music.
Arguing politics.
Spreading discord.
Shouting (I like to shout).
A couple others I don't talk about publicly.

dazedgonebye
05-14-2009, 03:25
Making picture frames. Funny thing is, I have yet to make one for one of my pictures. It started because I discovered having custom frames made was so expensive. I have a variety of molder heads and router bits and I enjoy seeing what different patterns I can come up with.

Ha! The real money has always been in selling shovels to the miners, not in digging for gold. Frames are indeed expensive.
==================================
I like to cook. I used to LOVE to cook, but doing it every day because you have to sort of takes the fun out of it.
I guess it seldom qualifies as a creative outlet anymore, but it used to.

After a stressful week, I would compulsively prepare meals. My wife recognized that this was a coping strategy for me and, while eating the meal would ask, "Do you feel better now?" ...and I did.

pesphoto
05-14-2009, 03:26
I like to cook, though some days Im too tired when I get home from work to do anything other than spaghetti or hot dogs.

mich8261
05-14-2009, 03:35
well I was going to say that I have no (other?) artistic ability than photography (can't draw, can't sing, can't play music, can't dance, etc.) but then I saw a couple of entries about cooking. I am no chef, but I like to think that I can throw together a pretty good meal when i apply myself. Mama would be proud.

Dave Wilkinson
05-14-2009, 03:57
If I'm not out with a camera, I'm usually in my shop with a piece of metal in one of the machines spitting hot chips down my shirt neck!. Just finished a set of phosphor-bronze valve guides for a guy with an old bike - a B.S.A Rocket 3 anyone remember them?. Made a few model engines, over the years and am now toying with the idea of a technical camera, good thing I'm retired now, and have plenty of time to play!.
Cheers, Dave.

Al Kaplan
05-14-2009, 04:01
I enjoy fishing and fly tying but don't really consider them creative. I love to write and I do a lot of political consulting and running election campaigns. Two years ago, just as a goof, I started using a toy monkey, Monkette, in the mayor's re-election campaign. My blog was getting more traffic then the Miami Herald's coverage and I was writing the blog as if Monkette was the real brains behind the campaign strategy. When he won she claimed credit for a successful campaign, had a seat of honor at the victory party, and I had a lot of fun! Now we've had another election on May 12th. Because of the crowded field there'll be a run-off June 2nd but Monkette's candidates will most likely win from the way things look now. All the candidates want to be photographed with her in hopes of getting on www.thepriceofsilver.blogspot.com. I'm shooting everything with my Bessa L and 15mm f/4.5 Heliar on Kodak Gold 200. The photos might not all be that great but the project sure is fun. Monkette and I are getting invited to all the right parties.

Larky
05-14-2009, 04:21
Programming and 3D.

dof
05-14-2009, 04:22
I've been taking photos with some seriousness for more than half my life. I also play the ukulele (professionally!), do dance music production, and graphic design. Rarely do all of them enjoy my attention at any one time. Rather they rise and fall on the creative horizon, as it were, over periods of years. Currently, the uke and photography are ascendant.

I'd better stop before I get too obtuse here!

dexdog
05-14-2009, 04:28
woodworking, mostly furniture, with an occasional sea kayak thrown in for variety

ferider
05-14-2009, 04:28
In terms of hobby, cooking.

Most creative thing in my mind is my work though (software engineering and semiconductor technology).

Cheers,

Roland.

rbiemer
05-14-2009, 04:29
Chef by trade--that is creative, on demand, and for other people. My photography is sort of an antidote for that. Some small scale woodworking--small boxes and the like. That may interact with my photo hobby: I'm sketching some ideas for pinhole cameras.
Truly bad water colors.
Rob

Roger Hicks
05-14-2009, 04:33
Cooking is very like photography, really. You can follow a recipe and produce a meal (or an illustration) or you can start getting clever about it, at which point it is creative.

I'm about to barbecue veal chops, which are not very creative (apart from choosing which wood to use, how long to cook them, etc.) but Frances is cooking courgettes (zucchini), garlic and onions with extra virgin olive oil, a recipe which has evolved and involves more creativity.

Tashi delek,

R.

Calzone
05-14-2009, 04:48
Although I am a Cyclotron Engineer and all my work experiance has been in physics labs, all my education has been in the arts. For over a decade, I was a painter, and I even had a two person show in Downtown New York.

I have had a disrupted choppy life, due to being in Foster Care for over a decade early in my life. Somehow the painting was a way to explore the fragmented jumpy thinking inside me that was a result of my disrupted childhood. I painted in multilayers of glass that had superimposed images that changed depending on POV. These paintings abstractly represented disturbed choppy thinking inside me.

At the end of the Cold War, I went to Grad school and got my first Masters in TV Journalism and screenwriting. There was a degree of safety in writing from a third person POV, and I began writing about myself from a third person POV. I wrote about some horrific losses and experianced some emotional breakdowns that dealt with closure and loss.

Fifteen years ago did a lot of performance art in New York and throughout the northeast. Performed at The Joseph Papp Public Theater, off-off Broadway at Second Stage Theater, and at dozens of colleges and universities. I further explored my tramatic past and experianced further closure and developed a first person voice.

Then September 11th happened, and I fell apart. The past I had resolved became unglued again. I was still filled with a lot of unresolved grief and began writing, turning my insides out again. I am now a 51 year old man, but it has taken decades to be able to write a first person narritive of what happened to me. I lost my family, my culture and my identity.

In 2005 I graduated with my MFA in creative writing. I am currently writing a memior about Foster Care, home and identity. I have an agent who wants to read my manuscript when done; last year I was on the short list to attend Breadloaf Writers' Conferance, where only 230 people are invited each year, and if there was a cancelation I would have attended; but earlier this week I received yet another rejection for a NYFA Fellowship.

Received an invitation to Gracey Mansion on May 20th to meet with Mayor Bloomberg in celebration of Asian American Heritage. Funny thing is the way I indentify myself, because of my upbringing and disrupted childhood, is that I am a basically a white boy trapped in an Asian body.

Calzone

P.S. I think all my creative work is to document my life, and this is how photography fits in. In a way, it is for me journalism.

rbiemer
05-14-2009, 04:52
Cooking is very like photography, really. You can follow a recipe and produce a meal (or an illustration) or you can start getting clever about it, at which point it is creative.

I'm about to barbecue veal chops, which are not very creative (apart from choosing which wood to use, how long to cook them, etc.) but Frances is cooking courgettes (zucchini), garlic and onions with extra virgin olive oil, a recipe which has evolved and involves more creativity.

Tashi delek,

R.

Those would be the creative choices. And they need to be made for even the most pedestrian food.
Rob

dlove5
05-14-2009, 04:52
Since so much is being mentioned about cooking, I should probably mention I took the day off today to smoke about 60 lbs of meat. I have two smokers going right now and will be firing up the grill shortly. Brisket, pork shoulder, pork tenderloin, and chicken. My oldest is graduating college this weekend and to save money, I am smoking the meats myself for her party. However, if I didn't enjoy it we'd just do hamburgers and hotdogs.

Off to go check.

JoeV
05-14-2009, 04:57
[quote=bmattock;1053606]...
Culture-jamming.
...quote]

That sounds interesting, Bill. I remember seeing a video on culture jamming years ago. The one that sticks out is called "The Fax Attack", which involves a loop of black construction paper, fed into one's fax machine, set up to dial an annoying fax machine's phone number over the weekend. It uses up all their paper and toner.

For me, I like reading, writing, messing with pinhole cameras (building and using), bicycling (staying alive in traffic is creative), motorcycling, Appalachian Dulcimer, manual typewriters, woodblock printing, etc. Collecting new hobbies and projects is a big time-sink, too.

~Joe

schaubild
05-14-2009, 06:01
For me it's thinking about cameras, often resulting in new tools to work with ;)
And music, playing guitars.

The creative cooking has not been a real success.....

Dave Wilkinson
05-14-2009, 06:40
Keep 'em coming folks! - plenty of fascinating stuff, varied interests and hobbies!....and a few posts back, one guy posted his autobiography!;)
Dave.

Roger Hicks
05-14-2009, 06:46
Funny thing is the way I indentify myself, because of my upbringing and disrupted childhood, is that I am a basically a white boy trapped in an Asian body.

Thanks for a fascinating story, and one that may (I hope) give hope and strength to others.

A quote that might amuse you, from a Tibetan friend who fled Tibet in 1959: "I'm a banana. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside."

Tashi delek,

R.

Calzone
05-14-2009, 08:19
Thanks Roger for the encouragement and kindness.

The book is happening and is very powerful and revealing, but it is not all about sadness and loss. Some of the writing provides an explaination for someone understandably lost that displays very differant/bizzarre behavior that is both amusing and laughable, and I'm pretty good at making fun of myself and presenting myself as a pretty strong character with many huge weaknesses.

There are also great moments of kindness that happened that changed my life that came from mostly strangers. This forum and the generousity it provides a great example of that understanding: it promotes kindness.

Calzone

raid
05-14-2009, 08:30
The past vice president of the university where I work had two enlargements of my images in his office. He told me that he would point to my photos to his visitors when he would talk about the creativity of the faculty members.

I guess, my creative work usually is my statistics work. My latest applied research is on the geographical mapping of pediatric cancer clusters in Florida. It feels rewarding to somehow contribute to the well being of others.

Photography became important to me when I was stressed out during the graduate studies years.

MickH
05-14-2009, 09:15
I guess, my creative work usually is my statistics work.

Hey Raid, being creative with statistics could land you a job with the government. ;)

raid
05-14-2009, 09:22
Hey Raid, being creative with statistics could land you a job with the government. ;)

I know what you [really] mean!:bang:

nikon_sam
05-14-2009, 09:37
I don't cook unless you count Popcorn, pancakes and scrambled eggs...not all together...
I like to mess with woodworking...last item made were a few Lensboards for my Zone VI 4x5 View Camera...it sounds simple but there are a few nice cuts in there...
Right now I'm working on getting this years garden started...just got back from Lowe's and picked up some tomato plants, another grape and a few packets of seeds...

SuitePhoto
05-14-2009, 09:42
Wine is my other passion, and creativity comes into play when you have more bottles than you have storage! :D

Cooking also comes with the territory - I taught myself to cook b/c I wanted something worthy to eat with my wine!

squirrel$$$bandit
05-14-2009, 09:44
Music recording! Love it as much as photography. It's kinda indie rock type of stuff. Here's (http://inverseroom.creotia.com/music/ar.zip) a download of my last album, if anyone's interested.

I have also posted on here before about writing, which is my main creative outlet. I don't know what I'd do with my head without all these interests. Probably go barking mad.

dee
05-14-2009, 10:06
Hmm , writing / poetry saw me through the trauma of realising my Gender Dysphoria and Autism , and has since helped others to understand and embrace me ... I also create Baby Name paintings @ '' daisymeidoodles.co.uk '' theraputic for me . I also like making models- and photographing them .
Simliar situation with calzone - but girl child dealing with adult guy stuff .

dee
05-14-2009, 10:07
OOps daisymeidoodles.co.uk

jke
05-14-2009, 10:09
I am a poet. I have one book out already (http://www.amazon.com/Asleep-Lightning-Fields-Jorn-Ake/dp/1881515443/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242338807&sr=8-3), one book out this month (http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Whistling-Like-Canaries-Jorn/dp/1597660507/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242338836&sr=8-1), and one book coming out in September. Poetry is my day job. Photography is my hobby. :)

Silva Lining
05-14-2009, 10:28
Sketching, drawing & painting. Writing. Gardening - Fruit & Veg as well as flowers ;) and the latest is making music with my Korg Kaossilator

squirrel$$$bandit
05-14-2009, 10:29
I am a poet. I have one book out already (http://www.amazon.com/Asleep-Lightning-Fields-Jorn-Ake/dp/1881515443/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242338807&sr=8-3), one book out this month (http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Whistling-Like-Canaries-Jorn/dp/1597660507/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242338836&sr=8-1), and one book coming out in September. Poetry is my day job. Photography is my hobby. :)

A blurb from David Young! Are you an Oberliner?

zenlibra
05-14-2009, 10:57
I used to do a lot of painting and some songwriting. I still dabble with the guitar a little but I feel like i've found myself with photography.

Roger Hicks
05-14-2009, 20:10
There are also great moments of kindness that happened that changed my life that came from mostly strangers. This forum and the generousity it provides a great example of that understanding: it promotes kindness.

Yes! Yes! Yes! To all of that.

This is why I am so puzzled by the mean-spiritedness of some of the people on RFF. As you say, it promotes kindness. That's infinitely more important than photography.

We all say things we wish we hadn't; we all misread situations; we all make mistakes. But some people seem to go out of their way to be offended, or to be offensive.

Tashi delek,

R.

pvdhaar
05-14-2009, 20:23
I'm a MOC-ing AFOL..

MOC=My Own Creation..
AFOL=Adult Fan of Lego..

EcoLeica
05-14-2009, 20:43
I get bored rather quickly and as a result i collect hobbies...I know mostly play a bit of music (ukulele & violin), make movies (documentaries and weird short films), tumble rocks (future jewelry making project) and bone carving...here is some I have done

Dogman
05-15-2009, 09:25
Perfecting the art of sloth.:D

Actually, I do enjoy outdoor cooking/smoking meat, baking bread, shooting guns, collecting stuff, camping/traveling, gardening, birdwatching, reading and music.

I used to play guitar. Now I play the stereo.

I like wine. To drink.

The more I think about it--I really do like perfecting the art of sloth.

Dave Wilkinson
05-15-2009, 09:37
Perfecting the art of sloth.:D

Actually, I do enjoy outdoor cooking/smoking meat, baking bread, shooting guns, collecting stuff, camping/traveling, gardening, birdwatching, reading and music.

I used to play guitar. Now I play the stereo.

I like wine. To drink.

The more I think about it--I really do like perfecting the art of sloth. me too! - but had to stop trying to smoke meat!....used too many matches keeping my pipe going :D

Roger Hicks
05-15-2009, 09:40
Ah, sloth... the finest of fine arts.

Smoking meat is easier than smoking fish. Drier.

Cheers,

R.

jke
05-15-2009, 09:55
A blurb from David Young! Are you an Oberliner?

No, my manuscript was a finalist in Field's manuscript contest before winning the XJ Kennedy prize at another press. So David Young, the editor of Field, was very kind to write a blurb for the book having read it in his press' contest.

My grandfather, Harold Fildey, was a professor in Oberlin's divinity school before it moved to Vanderbilt. And when he moved, he sold his house to a professor at Oberlin, who turned out to be David Young. I didn't find out about it until a couple years ago. Quite a loop of time.

squirrel$$$bandit
05-15-2009, 10:56
No, my manuscript was a finalist in Field's manuscript contest before winning the XJ Kennedy prize at another press. So David Young, the editor of Field, was very kind to write a blurb for the book having read it in his press' contest.

My grandfather, Harold Fildey, was a professor in Oberlin's divinity school before it moved to Vanderbilt. And when he moved, he sold his house to a professor at Oberlin, who turned out to be David Young. I didn't find out about it until a couple years ago. Quite a loop of time.

Very impressive--Field is pretty hardcore, a great magazine. My wife studied fiction writing at Oberlin with Stuart Friebert and Diane Vreuls, wonderful people and excellent writers. Congrats on the Kennedy prize as well and good luck with the new one.

EcoLeica, that's near stuff you're making, as well...

Ron (Netherlands)
05-15-2009, 11:57
I guess music is and will be my greatest hobby - sometimes in combination with other things. Like e.g. some years ago (before one could just download any music database type of programm) I wanted to put all my favourate music in one little stand alone database - mainly in order to be able to compare the same song played differently on different recordings. Only for that reason I learned programming and build a little - music playing - database around all my records of Django Reinhardt. Lately I enjoy playing piano (learned myself last year since I had no time taking lessons) were I used to play a lot of guitar.

The below picture that I used for the splash screen of my program was shot (org 6x6) by William Gottlieb in 1946 when Django toured with Duke through the US.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kpmg0072/images/DR.jpg

tbm
05-17-2009, 15:18
My mother, of Swedish and Norwegian origin, taught me the deep joys of baking bread from self-mixed ingredients when I was a teenager, and more than 30 years later I and my mate, totally of Italian origin, make bread weekly in our $4,000 Thermador oven, and that creative experience mirrors my continuing film shooting and developing as well as print-making processes wonderfully! The smell of bread baking, though certainly not by any means similar to the odors of darkroom processing trays' chemicals, is heavenly and the latter-mentioned odors, first experienced in my father's darkroom in the 1950s when I was a child, still enchant me and pull me into my darkroom upon experiencing the slightest whiff of them from previous darkroom printing experiences. My father never learned how to cook and bake, partially because he was chauvanistic and partially misogynistic, so he never contributed to the influence my mother gave, but by introducing the wonders of photography to me I have to humbly state that I am thankful to him for that specifically. Since we got together almost 31 years ago, my mate has shared his mother's exquisite Italian recipes with me and we relish sharing kitchen experiences together, both atop the burners and within the oven. I must admit that there have been many instances wherein I am in my darkroom, rejoicing while creating a gorgeous print, while my mate is in the kitchen creating one of our wonderful recipes from either the U.S., France, or Italy, and he knocks on the darkroom door and states "dinner is ready!", and I effortlessly instantly move from the processing trays to the exquisite smell of a wonderfully prepared series of recipes--including homemade bread--at our dining room table, and the darkroom experience, therefore, results in being a joyful prelude to outstanding gastronomy!

Roger Hicks
05-17-2009, 22:00
My mother, of Swedish and Norwegian origin, taught me the deep joys of baking bread from self-mixed ingredients when I was a teenager, and more than 30 years later I and my mate, totally of Italian origin, make bread weekly in our $4,000 Thermador oven, and that creative experience mirrors my continuing film shooting and developing as well as print-making processes wonderfully! The smell of bread baking, though certainly not by any means similar to the odors of darkroom processing trays' chemicals, is heavenly and the latter-mentioned odors, first experienced in my father's darkroom in the 1950s when I was a child, still enchant me and pull me into my darkroom upon experiencing the slightest whiff of them from previous darkroom printing experiences. My father never learned how to cook and bake, partially because he was chauvanistic and partially misogynistic, so he never contributed to the influence my mother gave, but by introducing the wonders of photography to me I have to humbly state that I am thankful to him for that specifically. Since we got together almost 31 years ago, my mate has shared his mother's exquisite Italian recipes with me and we relish sharing kitchen experiences together, both atop the burners and within the oven. I must admit that there have been many instances wherein I am in my darkroom, rejoicing while creating a gorgeous print, while my mate is in the kitchen creating one of our wonderful recipes from either the U.S., France, or Italy, and he knocks on the darkroom door and states "dinner is ready!", and I effortlessly instantly move from the processing trays to the exquisite smell of a wonderfully prepared series of recipes--including homemade bread--at our dining room table, and the darkroom experience, therefore, results in being a joyful prelude to outstanding gastronomy!

What a lovely, happy story! Thanks,

R.

Murray Kelly
05-18-2009, 05:16
Amateur radio (VK4AOK) and electronics. Too old to roll around under cars these days.:(
Murray

flip
05-18-2009, 05:41
Gardening, music, homebrewing.... I like to nurture things into fruition. I also like waiting for prints from the shop to see if my ideas came to fruition.

tbm
05-18-2009, 12:03
Two days ago, after making some prints in my darkroom, I made two loaves of Italian Ciabatta bread which were delicious, and yesterday I made two more loaves of sourdough bread from a bowl of sourdough starter that has been in our refrigerator for two years and gets fed with additional flour, water, and honey every two weeks. This morning I made four more loaves of a standard enriched bread from a Bernard Clayton bread-making cookbook I have had for almost 30 years. That standard enriched bread makes great toast and sandwiches and enhances dinner vastly. I always double the recipe so that we end up with four loaves. Below are four digital images of the bread-making process. In order, they show the results of the first dough rise in bowls, the second rise in the All-Clad heavy, gold-plated bread pans that we love, the bread fully baked in the oven after the 35 minute timer setting ended, and then the bread cooling on a wire device. Ah--the aroma fills the house so wonderfully!

tbm
05-18-2009, 12:05
Here is the fourth image.

F456
06-19-2009, 11:14
Not quite another creative interest, but what I love about photographing people doing drama, music, or sport is that in a way I get the chance to be part of their activity as well.

And if it involves being physically active to keep up with the action, then that adds a major dimension to my enjoyment of the event and of photographing it.

Other creative interests: studying languages, writing with fountain pens, long-distance walking (I don't suppose this last one is creation, but it is recreation). I would have said computers, but they are only a tool to me now.

Cheers,
Tom

petronius
06-19-2009, 12:06
Bows and arrows in a rather primitive way; cooking and writing haiku, in a primitive way too; forging and knifemaking; reading SF.

rumbliegeos
06-20-2009, 15:54
I have to do a lot of writing in my work, and like Tom H above, I like using fountain pens. I guess at this point I would have to confess that I am a collector, because I have quite a few pens. It is another Gear Acquisition Syndrome area, and my favorite pens were made by the British company Conway Stewart from the 1930s to the 1950s.

John Robertson
06-20-2009, 16:38
Music (playing piano and pipe organ) watercolour painting. Cooking as well although in my case I don't know if it is an art!!!
Friends and family say its good, well they would wouldn't they!!!

bsdunek
06-20-2009, 17:16
Antique airplanes is one of my great loves, although I'm not sure many would call it creative. Sometimes flying has to be creative, and always enjoyable. My favorite flying machine is attached.
My Wife and I enjoy cooking, and do things somewhat differently from each other. We often create new dishes.
Gardening - mine to eat, hers for beauty.

squirrel$$$bandit
06-20-2009, 17:28
reading SF.

Got any recommendations? I'm too fussy--I always give up on SF by page 25...

amateriat
06-20-2009, 22:28
On the creative front, besides photography?

One would be writing (with and without fountain pens), and location recording of music (which I don't do much of any more). On a more recreational than creative tangent, I'm deeply into cycling (but two of my three bicycles were largely assembled with components of my choosing, so I guess there's a bit of creative content there).

Quite a few wonderful entries in this thread. Keep 'em coming.

- Barrett

Dunk
07-19-2009, 15:20
I collect shells and fossils and enjoy photographing them to bring out their beauty and form ... but so far not with a rangefinder ... however that may change when start using a Visoflex with my M8.2

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/kirkwoodpix/sc00acc464.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/kirkwoodpix/sc00b0d11b_2.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/kirkwoodpix/sc002cf7c7.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/kirkwoodpix/sc002ea47b.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/kirkwoodpix/sc0028def1.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/kirkwoodpix/sc002c217001.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/kirkwoodpix/sc005c90f0.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/kirkwoodpix/sc0059b02d.jpg

Cheers

dunk

John Robertson
07-19-2009, 19:16
Great, just don't picture this old fossil!!!
Viso works great with the Bessa T, try to pick up a top quality enlarging lens
such as an El Nikkor. 100mm or so, they are quite cheap and make great macro lenses.

sepiareverb
07-20-2009, 03:14
Music here too. I've got a tiny space in the basement to record in. I spent much of the 80's in bands, but music is a solitary hobby these days.

Rather surprising how many professional photographers I know cook- there certainly is something similar yet different enough in the two. I cook by necessity, but from time to time really enjoy it.

John Robertson
07-20-2009, 10:23
[QUOTE

Rather surprising how many professional photographers I know cook- there certainly is something similar yet different enough in the two. I cook by necessity, but from time to time really enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Digital equivalent in cooking is to buy a ready- meal and zap it in the microwave!:rolleyes:

sepiareverb
07-20-2009, 10:26
Digital equivalent in cooking is to buy a ready- meal and zap it in the microwave!:rolleyes:

Or using all GMO foods!

thinkfloyd
07-20-2009, 19:22
I'm a writer (main source of income!) and a professional musician (have two albums under my belt), though I quit my band a couple of months ago to focus on Jazz. LIke Ron (Netherlands), I'm playing Manouche, or Gypsy Jazz ala Django.

SolaresLarrave
07-20-2009, 19:40
Well... In my twenties, I was a published writer in my native country of Guatemala. Four collections of short stories. I'm listed as a writer in a few websites and even made it to the history of Guatemalan literature. :)

I stopped writing... for a while. There's a handful of projects waiting for developing.

Otherwise, I cook, study the guitar (playing badly) and German. And I like eating! :D Isn't that creative?

bmattock
07-20-2009, 20:31
I am just a

amateriat
07-20-2009, 20:38
Come on, Bill! It ain't just one thing... :)

(Thankfully.)

- Barrett

BTMarcais
07-20-2009, 20:49
Music is the big one for me (although I paint and draw a bit too, generally when I get a little burnt out on photography but still feel the need to make pictures). I wouldn't say I play anything all that well, but give me an instrument and I'll start picking out a tune sooner or later. I currently have a trumpet, a couple keyboards/synths (no space for a real piano :( ), mandolin, 2 guitars (steel string and classical), native american flute, didgeridoo, a couple harmonicas and a ukulele. And I'm sure I left out something.
-Brian

BTMarcais
07-20-2009, 20:59
(and I cook too, like everyone else here. :))

-Brian

JohnnyT
07-20-2009, 21:16
For my part, it's writting... I'm actually working on a motion picture screenplay ... It takes almost all my spare time... It's sure that I keep shooting some pictures... But this screenplay is really important for me... Some person would be interrested to produce it... In Quebec, Canada, is not always easy to make movies. We are really poor and dependant on the goverment for these projects...

My other hobby became actually my job... I'm an editor. I work in the television and film industry. Right now I'm working for film and television show trailer for the TV. Great job... But in these dark economical times, it's not always pink. The TV stations are starving and the job became more and more rare... We manage to survive... We need money to shoot film, right?

My typical day is a long walk, spend some film, slow down and take a glass of wine with my pen and my paper in a nice, quiet and expensive restaurant. In the weekend, they have jazz musician that play some nice music... It help me write...

I also really enjoy to read books and... screeplay... I love to watch movies...

Lilserenity
07-20-2009, 22:50
Writing and walking.

I like being on the move, out there doing something, seeing things, being my own little pioneer going where well everybody has been before :D but it's fun. A great way to exercise and explore, also gets you to suss out locations that not many others see because they're hidden from the road.

Writing, well, again it's just another way of expressing myself, maybe another little escape hatch from the rest of the world at the end of the day.

Sometimes it's a shame to wake from a good dream, so I try to do things that are as surreal but as invigorating as a dream, take myself places that the everyday and mundane can't touch -- either by walking in the sticks, immersing myself in some quirky urban scene or by writing about something fantastical.

It makes the world quite a good place when you switch off the telly and pay less attention to every second and minute of the news :)

Vicky

Renzsu
07-21-2009, 07:02
I'm a product designer, glad to be working in the creative industry. I wouldn't know what else to do..

photoabbs
07-29-2009, 12:03
Hi Roger - really enjoy the books you have written -Thanks!
I play the piano and play wheelchair tennis - there's more art in tennis than brawn - luckily my favourite thing away from work is still photography even though I make my living from photography

Cheers

Graham A
Glouc UK

Nikon D3 for work, D50 and various film cameras inc Zeiss Ikonta 524/16 for fun.

Tom A
07-29-2009, 12:53
This is a really fascinating thread! I have to confess to very few activities outside photography. Music is a no-go as a/I cant hold a tune and b/ I am pretty well tone deaf! Cooking is equally a disaster as neither Tuulikki nor I are cooks. Our friends occasionally show up and cook - and there are 14 restaurants within 3 blocks of us (another 14-15 is just 4 blocks up the hill)
I do spend time in my "mini" machine shop torturing metal into shapes that I need.
OK, reading is an obsession, anything from classics to schlock - depending on my mood.
Travel is another habit (rather than a hobby) and our "great escape" is movies. We usually see at least 3-5/week. Not in theaters as I abhore the public who goes to them these days (I am suggesting the death penalty to anyone using a cell phone in a theatre or concert hall - and execution should be swift). We have a 42" LCD system that serves us well (and plenty of DVD rental places in the neighborhood.
I am impressed with all these creative members here. I do wish that I could cook,dance,sing and do woodwork - maybe not at the same time - good for all of you.

Dave Wilkinson
07-29-2009, 13:10
[quote=Tom A;1104073]
I do spend time in my "mini" machine shop torturing metal into shapes that I need.
quote] Good for you Tom! - I can recomend my pastime :- a set of castings, some drawings - get the pipe going....and make a steam engine! very satisfying when it first runs on compressed air :)
Dave.