PDA

View Full Version : Print Swap 16

sojournerphoto
05-12-2009, 10:05
Time for another print swap!

In Eric's absence I'll organise this one, provided no one objects.

Here's a quick briefing on what the swap entails and a few basic ground rules:

1. Prints (matted or otherwise) should be sized around 8x10 inches.

2. I print using inkjet, but there may be a consnesus that Silver halide prints (for B&W) or lab prints (for color) are highly recommended. However, feel free to use inkjet (or whatever) if you feel that best represents your work. Don't fail to participate because you print on an inkjet!!

3. After sign-ups are closed, I'll draw names and post the list in this thread. Each pair should aim to have the print packaged and mailed within a week of notification.

4. If there are an odd number of participants, one group will contain 3 people to ensure that everyone can get involved. This will mean making two prints, but you will receive two prints.

5. This is a project of international scope--you might be paired with an RFFer in another country; be prepared to pay shipping accordingly.

If you've participated before, let me know who you've been partnered with so you don't get the same swap partner twice.

To sign up, e-mail (mike 'dot' shimwell 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com) PM me with the following data:

User name
Real name
email address
Mailing Address
Previous swap partners (if applicable)

Sign-ups will be open for about a week, as usual. I'll draw names after closing sign-ups and then notify everybody of their partners.

Remember, the swap is entirely dependent upon user participation; the more we have involved, the more fun and variety everybody has. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me.

Have fun

Mike

PS Mods - can this be made a sticky to replace Print Swap 11? Thanks.

PlantedTao
05-12-2009, 15:19
I'm in!
Thanks Mike for putting this together!

Come on ya'll, join the fun!

plummerl
05-12-2009, 15:30
I'm in!
Thanks Mike for putting this together!

Come on ya'll, join the fun!
Thanks Mike, I'm right behind you, Jason!

BTMarcais
05-12-2009, 16:21
me too...
-Brian

palec
05-12-2009, 18:16
I'm in. Mail sent.

sojournerphoto
05-12-2009, 23:41
Bump:)

Mike

Mauro
05-13-2009, 01:06
I am in, PM sent.
This is a very interesting project, it is a pleasure to swap prints and opinions with other RF friends: a great way for learning.
I hope that many RFF members will join in.
Thanks, Mike!

Todd.Hanz
05-13-2009, 01:26
In...looking forward to it.

Todd

capitalK
05-13-2009, 01:35
Msg sent, thanks.

raid
05-13-2009, 01:54
I'm in too. This is always fun to do.

PlantedTao
05-13-2009, 04:07
A morning bump. :)

sojournerphoto
05-14-2009, 06:08
OK, we're up to 9 participants now. More always welcome. I'll put up a list and answer a couple of questions later - when the children have gone to bed...

Mike

sojournerphoto
05-14-2009, 11:37
Answers to a couple of questions.

No official theme - but of course people can contact their swap partners to see what they are interested in if they want.

Ideally we'd like to get prints mailed in a week or so from the day I put up the lists.

I will close entries on Tuesday night next week (19th May). I'm in the UK so it will be around 8pm GMT and I'll try to get lists out that evening or the next (in which case late entries would be accepted!)

I quite like the idea of putting up a gallery either here or on Flickr, or justusing the thread, to show the prints that are sent if anyone else is interested.

I've had 8 PMs and emails so far. More welcome.

Mike

plummerl
05-14-2009, 13:37
Paging Al Kaplan!!!!!, Al Kaplan. Hey the election is over, time to print. :D

pesphoto
05-15-2009, 02:17
I'll give it a go..AL, you out there?

sojournerphoto
05-15-2009, 11:21
Evening Bump

Al Kaplan
05-15-2009, 14:11
Al Kaplan here! The "election" is over, sure, but now we have run-offs coming up two weeks from Tuesday. Nobody got the required "50% + one vote" in the races. Monkette and I will be busy for awhile.

I put out an idea after the last swap that rather than a direct tit-for-tat swap between pairs of photographers we could have a situation where everybody would be assigned a person to send their photo to, but it would NOT be the person that was sending a photo to them.

Also, last time around I was too lazy to make a new print and pulled a vintage print out of my files, one about 40 years old. This time I found something a bit different. (I'm still lazy!) The Seminole Indians held a Rock Music Pow-Wow at their Hollywood reservation in 1969 and I covered it for one of the local "underground" newspapers. These days it would be an "alternative" newspaper. I found two sheets of heavy paper, each about 10.5 X 16 inches. Black and white photos are cut to fit with one another, covering both sheets. It's the left and right sides of a double page spread from the Pow Wow with a total of 9 prints. The prints themselves are in damned good condition. The underlying paper is quite brittle. and the rub-on transfer lettering has partly flaked off. It still has the 1969 copyright date. The photos range from a musical group on an outdoor stage, an Indian man making a dug out canoe, some little Seminole girls in native costume, to a field full of stoned out hippies grooving to the music.

I just hope that whoever gets it spends a few bucks to get it properly framed. Also, if it's being mailed out of the U.S. please pay some of the postage.

PlantedTao
05-16-2009, 08:35
saturday morning bump...
come on ya'll, still not too late to join :)

Sisyphus
05-16-2009, 08:55
I would like to participate as well, however, I have difficult time getting things mailed out . . .

I am in . . .

:s:

sojournerphoto
05-17-2009, 11:48
OK Al - Your in! Anyone else - I'll not have access tomorrow, but will close up on Monday. If anyone wants to folow Al's suggestion please let me know - happy to chop it around if that suits everyone else.

Mike

sojournerphoto
05-20-2009, 15:19
OK, I'm expecting to sort out the order tomorrow evening, so this is the last chance for any latecomers to join in. I plan on taking up Al's suggestion on this occasion and pasing prints in a big circle rather than having swap partners. If anyone would rather stick to the original plan then please let me know and we'll either make up apirs or revert.

If you haven't passed me your details yet then please do so and I'll be able to set up the list.

Cheers

Mike

Al Kaplan
05-20-2009, 15:41
We're all sitting around awaiting the names. Thanks for putting this together for everybody. ~Al

pesphoto
05-20-2009, 15:50
yeah, lets get rollin' hommies!! :)

sojournerphoto
05-21-2009, 16:22
OK, here's the list and following Al's suggestion each person to send a print (or two if you like) to the person below you in the list. CapitalK (at the bottom) to send to Tod.Hanz (at the top).

userTod.HanzpalecsojournerphotoAl KaplanNB23uhligfdPesphotoplummerlraidPlantedTaobtm arcaisMaurocapitalK

The list was generated by random means and checked to make sure that no-one is sending to previous partners as far as I know. I will email contact details as relevant over the next couple of evenings (I'm away to bed now as it's 1am) and feel free to contact your recipient if you want to find out what they like. Comments on the prints on here are welcome and posting of images encouraged.

Enjoy everyone

Mike

sojournerphoto
05-21-2009, 16:23
Yikes, I've just realised I've got to send to Al - seriously out of my depth...

Mike

raid
05-28-2009, 07:11
I have just this morning mailed out to Jason my print.

I hope that acceptance will be the response!

Sisyphus
05-28-2009, 07:18
So I am supposed to send a print to sojournerphoto?

capitalK
05-28-2009, 07:28
I'm running a little behind on sending mine out, but I have the print ready.

raid
05-28-2009, 07:47

The usual rules for such print swap projects is to mail out a print to your designated print receiver within 7-14 days. Am I wrong?

Al Kaplan
05-28-2009, 07:53
I'm all ready for the next exchange too. I'm finding all sorts of interesting photographs in my files from way back when.... How about a page paste-up from an underground newspaper with six gelatin silver prints from a Jefferson Airplane concert from the late sixties? The photos are in great condition but some of the rub-on lettering has flaked off. There's a great story (not in the paper) that goes with it that I'll probably put on my blog.

For you youngsters: Jefferson Airplane later changed their name to Jefferson Starship.

http://thepriceofsilver.blogspot.com

raid
05-28-2009, 08:08
I'm all ready for the next exchange too. I'm finding all sorts of interesting photographs in my files from way back when.... How about a page paste-up from an underground newspaper with six gelatin silver prints from a Jefferson Airplane concert from the late sixties? The photos are in great condition but some of the rub-on lettering has flaked off. There's a great story (not in the paper) that goes with it that I'll probably put on my blog.

For you youngsters: Jefferson Airplane later changed their name to Jefferson Starship.

http://thepriceofsilver.blogspot.com

What a find, Al. I want one day to get from you a really special 60's print autographed by you!

Jefferson Airplane was more to my liking than Jefferson Starship [music].

Al Kaplan
05-28-2009, 08:32
OK Raid, I'll withdraw the Jefferson Airplane from a future print swap. You can have it! Do you want it? There is a white square on the page where the caption was supposed to be stripped in. I guess I can autograph it there.

uhligfd
05-28-2009, 08:35
I sent my print off to Pesphoto last week and I am waiting for the surprise from NB23.

Maybe we should show / could show the series of prints off in a special gallery ... I hope we all can agree on this (maybe).

But I do not have a scanner and so I cannot help in this NEW effort, if we agree to let recipients etc add to the "Swap 16 Gallery".

What do you think about this new angle? Of going public ...

Al Kaplan
05-28-2009, 08:49
That works for me, but mine was already mailed out days ago! Even if I had a big scanner I couldn't scan it.

raid
05-28-2009, 10:47
OK Raid, I'll withdraw the Jefferson Airplane from a future print swap. You can have it! Do you want it? There is a white square on the page where the caption was supposed to be stripped in. I guess I can autograph it there.

Thank you, Al. Put your signature on the white square.

Great!

raid
05-28-2009, 10:48
What do you think about this new angle? Of going public ...

It may discourage some people from joining such a print swap. Maybe. Some people are shy about such things.

pesphoto
05-28-2009, 14:23
I did receive my very cool color pirnt from uhligfd (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/member.php?u=6324)
Its very interesting and would like all to see it.

Im sending out my print tomorrow.

Al Kaplan
05-28-2009, 15:30
Raid, I'll get the thing packed and shipped within the next week. Are you still at that same Belle Meadow Blvd. address?

raid
05-28-2009, 16:27
Yes, I am. Thank you.

palec
05-28-2009, 21:27
I haven't yet sent mine, I'll do it next week after flattening them.

sojournerphoto
05-28-2009, 21:44

Ah, sorry I missed you as I didn't have you mail address. Given the round is set up I'll happily do a swap with you.

Mike

sojournerphoto
05-28-2009, 22:04
Mine are packed for airmail today - not going to work today:)

There is no obligation to go public - only if both sender and receiver wish to and are happy with the idea. The aim isn't to embarras anyone, just to allow us to share work a bit more widely.

Mike

Mauro
05-29-2009, 00:54
I have mailed out the prints to capitalK few hours ago: I do hope the envelope will cross the ocean quickly.
Once again, thanks to all the RFF friends for offering such an interesting opportunity for learning more about photography.

palec
06-02-2009, 00:39
I've just sent the print to Mike.

PlantedTao
06-04-2009, 10:04
I just got my photos from Raid! They are two wonderful color photos... I particularly like the Fall photo taken in the Smokey Mountains. I went to college at the University of Tennesse and remember the Smokeys very well, but at that time did not photograph so I have no photos. Thanks Raid!

Ok, now I am off to the post to get my photo to my print partner... a little late, but he has been informed and is okay with that :) Brian - your photo will be there before you leave.

Cheers!
Jason

BTMarcais
06-04-2009, 11:17
Thanks Jason!
and to Mauro... I got your print mailed out on tuesday. It'll take a little while to get all the way to Italy, but the photo is on it's way!
-Brian

Al Kaplan
06-04-2009, 11:41
Raid, the Jefferson Airplane is still sitting here, unpacked! Sorry. The city elections have been keeping me too tied up. I'll do my best to get it mailed out by Monday.

raid
06-04-2009, 15:40
No problem, Al.

I got a beautiful B&W print of a scene in Prague from Larry.
Thanks!

crawdiddy
06-04-2009, 16:47
I sent my print off to Pesphoto last week and I am waiting for the surprise from NB23.

NB23? I thought you were speaking of Ned for a moment there.

Were you?

Mauro
06-05-2009, 03:48
Dear Brian, thanks a lot for your message. Do not worry, I know that mail overseas can take time: I look forward to seeing your print, I am sure I can learn from it. By the way, I would be glad to send a print to you: if you like, you may write a PM with your mail address.

Ciao!

sojournerphoto
06-08-2009, 21:35
I received a lovely print from Palec yesterday. Very nice tonality and colour.

Thanks

Mike

Stradibarrius
06-19-2009, 13:50
Can you explain what a "picture swap" is???

sojournerphoto
07-02-2009, 09:45
Stradibarrius

The idea is that we send prints to one another to share our pictures on paper - where they are meant to be:)

I will try to organise another in a couple of months.

Mike

sojournerphoto
07-02-2009, 09:47
Note to all participants!!

I am aware that there are a couple of people who have not received prints yet. If you haven't received a print and haven't told me please can you send me a PM.

If you haven't sent a print yet, please can you do so.

Thanks all

Mike

sojournerphoto
07-02-2009, 17:30
Bump, sorry trying to clear things up

Mauro
08-12-2009, 06:31
I have received the print from Brian, plus an additional print: they are great pictures, Brian is a very talented photographer.
Once again, I am really happy to be a member of this great forum: I can learn a lot, and most of all I can getvery good friends!
Thanks to the organizers and to the participants.
Ciao

Todd.Hanz
08-12-2009, 07:02
Damn, I still haven't got mine. If your my "print buddy" PM me and let me know what's up.

Todd