PDA

View Full Version : Charming people

Roger Hicks
05-10-2009, 08:30
Aren't there some lovely people on RFF? This was sent to the webmaster at www.rogerandfrances.com. Anonymously, from [email protected] I have merely stuck in a few asterisks over some of his obscenities.

xxxxxxx, I need your help with understanding something. It seems
you have a direct path into the inner workings of Lord Hicks brain perhaps
you have some wisdom to offer up?

WHAT THE F*CK is with Roger Hicks? WHAT THE F*CK is with everyone
thinking this guy is some sort of photographic guru?!?! WHAT THE F*CK? I
don't suppose to come of as some sort of "undiscovered genius myself" but I
do earn a living taking photographs (and I don't shoot f*cking microstock)
BUT WHAT THE F*CK. I wouldn't give this guy the time of the f*cking day! He
can blather on about leica historical mumbo jumbo and what temp. to best
develop tri-x until the cows come home but he is a PROFOUNDLY SH*TTY
PHOTOGRAPHER. Why has nobody on RFF said "Hey Roger, what the f*ck? You
suck!"

"You come on here blathering like a tibetan yoda, spewing your
overthunk sh*t about all things photography BUT YOUR PHOTOS SUCK!?!?!"

I don't get it.

Anyhow xxxxxxx, guide me here because this thing is bothering
me. It's not a persona agenda as I have never really given the guy much
thought and consider him a dinosaur really (And not a good dinosaur like
say... Bill Pierce whom I respect and admire but a crappy tourist photo of
nothing really interesting kind of dinosaur). I just need to understand why
no one has said it? The dude sucks! Maybe a small article on you always
enjoyable site would open the dialogue and a brave member of the "new guard"
will finally speak up and say "Hey Roger, WHAT THE F*CK?!?!"

I know there are people who don't like me, just as there are people I don't like, but why is this fellow (a) so upset and (b) too afraid to reveal his name? And why hasn't he understood a basic truth: if you don't like what I write, put me on your ignore list?

I have taken the liberty of posting it because of the specific reference to RFF. Actually, I think I know who it may be. His writing style is familiar.

Oh: and I know my Tibetan is lamentable, but what's a yoda?

Tashi delek,

R.

dazedgonebye
05-10-2009, 08:37
Youth and arrogance go hand in hand.

Seems you're the "old guard."

Of course, if this is an example of the new...we're in deep kim chee.

Silva Lining
05-10-2009, 08:39
If they're not prepared to stand behind their comments then I wouldn't give them another thought. Using an anonymous mailer is pretty lamentable.

It would appear that this individual doesn't rate you as a photographer :D

Roger Hicks
05-10-2009, 08:42
If they're not prepared to stand behind their comments then I wouldn't give them another thought. Using an anonymous mailer is pretty lamentable.

It would appear that this individual doesn't rate you as a photographer :D

Dear Phil,

Good Lord! Whatever gave you that impression?

Cheers,

R.

back alley
05-10-2009, 08:44
if the person had somethng real and sincere to offer, i think they would have used a real name, dropped the cursing and and asked you directly or state his/her concerns directly.

i have my own cyber stalker who has no idea how to be real and hides behind the net.
the world is full of people who lack the courage to speak directly to others.

ignore yours like i ignore mine and i'll bet we sleep much better.

Trius
05-10-2009, 08:48
"I have never given the guy much thought"

Really? I'd hate to see what and how much he would write if he HAD given you much thought. Though I suppose with right thinking he may not have written at all.

Roger Hicks
05-10-2009, 08:51
if the person had somethng real and sincere to offer, i think they would have used a real name, dropped the cursing and and asked you directlyor state his/her concerns directly.

i have my own cyber stalker who has no idea how to be real and hides behind the net.
the world is full of people who lack the courage to speak directly to others.

ignore yours like i ignore mine and i'll bet we sleep much better.

You're right, of course. It's just that this level of sustained vitriol is something I had not encountered before.

I mean, I don't like Jean-Paul Sartre, but apart from the occasional snipe in passing, I seldom mention this. Who cares, after all?

Let's all share what we enjoy, and why we enjoy it, and issue the occasional caution to the effect that while a particular camera, lens, film/dev combo or whatever may attract rave reviews from some, our mileage has indeed varied and it may not work for everyone.

We all have off days, and on them, some of us make posts we may regret. But this? Whew!

Cheers,

R.

WDPictures
05-10-2009, 08:52
Too bad as I just posted about some of the niceties of RFF and such on another thread. Perhaps jealousy or just mean spirited-ness. Maybe bothersome but I wouldn't let it sour the rest of what you're doing.

robertdfeinman
05-10-2009, 08:54
On the internet no one knows you are psychotic (but they can probably figure it out).

The mistake is to think that all people are rational and are fully responsible for their actions.

Would you stop and have a lengthy debate with someone ranting on the streets? Probably not, so why not apply the same discretion to online ranters. The only mistake was to spend more than a moment reading and discarding. If anything you have now encouraged this person to continue with their irrational behavior.

The old motto applies: "Do not feed the trolls".

brachal
05-10-2009, 09:08
i

Oh: and I know my Tibetan is lamentable, but what's a yoda?

Really? Yoda is the ancient, wise Jedi master from the Star Wars movies. You could google him, I guess ... unless you're being funny and I missed it.

It's a shame somebody feels like they have to attack you personally like that. I enjoy your posts and contributions.

Spider67
05-10-2009, 09:51
....Nevertheless people like that get under the skin from time to time.
It was right of Roger to post it. RFF is a great place but we need a reminder that it:s still on the
plane of (very) human existence

Benjamin
05-10-2009, 10:04
I don't like Jean-Paul Sartre..

Amen to that.

helenhill
05-10-2009, 10:11
Kinda Cool Roger
that YOU aroused such Passion in this person
I'm sure even in all his loathing of You
there must be some inkling of Admiration

Any Publicity is Good Publicity.....

Mind you, I do Love Your Site
Quite Helpful Indeed

Best to You & Frances- :) helen

sfb_dot_com
05-10-2009, 10:20
If I ever get to do my Masters in Group Therapy, the title of my dissertation will be "Dis-inhibition in Large Virtual Groups on the Internet"

Sad to say that the missive from the man who sent the spiteful email to your web site fits the bill nicely. My view is that the internet, and in particular forums behave much like super-large groups. It is well known that large groups tend to function on what Bion called "Basic Assumption" level. To spell it out that means, "everyone is out to get me, so I'll get them first" Generally, well-moderated forums don't suffer too badly from this malady. However even the best can occasionally experience an outbreak. In such cases the moderator's response; usually to expel the troublemaker reduces group tension to the point where it can again function. If the troublemaker(s) were not to be expelled, the group then often disintegrates. If you've ever seen the film 'Forbidden Planet' you'll have an inkling of the destructive power of the unconscious mind when too much freedom is given to an individual lacking a conscience.

Oooh Er! there's a bit of psychotherapy on a Sunday night as Ben Elton would say!

Regards & don't forget all that nasty stuff belongs to him not you.

Andy

bmattock
05-10-2009, 10:27
I was reading a movie review the other day, and suddenly I realized that the author was not a movie star. So I threw away the newspaper, he is not qualified to write about movies. I was going to make some dinner, but I realized that the cookbook I was using was not written by a famous chef, so clearly this woman didn't know what she was talking about, so I tossed that out too.

Then I turned on the TV and there were people talking about NFL football and some of them were former (crappy) players and some had never even played the game! Clearly, they didn't know what they were talking about either. So I turned off the TV.

Then I opened the latest issue of Shutterbug to read through it, and I realized that all the articles are by the same people, month after month, and most of them are famous for their articles ABOUT photography, not because they themselves are great photographers. So I tossed that issue out.

So I took a drive down to the museum, where they are offering a great exhibit on Norman Rockwell, a famous painter. Well, the tour guide seemed to know what she was talking about, but I asked her what famous paintings she had painted, and she said she had never even painted a painting. Oh my God! I yelled obscenities at her for being such a cheat and a fraud. How dare she try to tell people about Norman Rockwell when she had never so much as lifted a brush! I stomped out of there as mad as I could be.

Later, I went grocery shopping, and some people were collecting money for 'The Troops Overseas'. Well, I asked them how many of them were veterans, and only a couple were. Well, I'm a veteran, and that made me really mad. How dare they presume to speak for veterans, they have never worn the uniform or gone in harm's way like I have! I knocked over their stand and screamed obscenities at them.

I got home, and surfed to RFF, and here I find that Roger is not a famous photographer! How dare he write books about photography! How dare he offer his advice! How dare he converse with anyone on RFF! How dare ANY OF YOU make any comments on RFF at all, if you're NOT famous photographers! In fact, I will never post here again, because I am not a famous photographer, so clearly I have nothing valid to say either! Only famous photographers may speak, so the rest of you (and me), you must shut up and go live in a hole in the ground now!

Oh wait. That's all BS. I forgot, people can have opinions about a whole range of things that they are not famous for.

And yet when it comes to photography - if you haven't been lauded as a famous artiste, you should not be speaking. I see. Funny, seem to be seeing that a lot lately.

Person A: I posit X.
Person B: I posit Y.
Person A: Well, let's see your gallery, if you think you're so smart.
Person B: Here it is (link).
Person A: Well, your pictures suck, so you obviously have nothing interesting or valid to say about photography. I hereby refuse to speak to you.

Now, tell me. Is it Person A or Person B who is smearing the contents of their diapers on the halls of RFF?

Gumby
05-10-2009, 10:39
Thanks for sharing, Roger. :rolleyes:

How queer -- both the message and the re-posting here.

*** Wirelessly posted from my Aston Martin via satellite link ***

pesphoto
05-10-2009, 10:46
Roger, I wouldnt give this person the second thought. Me thinks he is talking about himelf. SOunds like jealousy to me. Roger, Dont ever change.

wgerrard
05-10-2009, 10:46
Andy is correct. The net provides cover for a lot of aberrant behavior. I suspect that thepercentage of obnoxious fools among the general population has always been pretty constant. But, the ease and ubiquity of the net means they can assert themselves into our lives with relative ease.

kully
05-10-2009, 10:47
Isn't it lovely when someone takes time to write you an email?

I don't think 'youth' has a part in this - this could be someone in their 20s or 80s.

Keith
05-10-2009, 11:00
"I don't care what is written about me so long as it isn't true."

Dorothy Parker
US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)

Keep this in mind Roger!

nico
05-10-2009, 11:06
I was reading a movie review the other day, and suddenly I realized that the author was not a movie star. So I threw away the newspaper, he is not qualified to write about movies. I was going to make some dinner, but I realized that the cookbook I was using was not written by a famous chef, so clearly this woman didn't know what she was talking about, so I tossed that out too.

Then I turned on the TV and there were people talking about NFL football and some of them were former (crappy) players and some had never even played the game! Clearly, they didn't know what they were talking about either. So I turned off the TV.

Then I opened the latest issue of Shutterbug to read through it, and I realized that all the articles are by the same people, month after month, and most of them are famous for their articles ABOUT photography, not because they themselves are great photographers. So I tossed that issue out.

So I took a drive down to the museum, where they are offering a great exhibit on Norman Rockwell, a famous painter. Well, the tour guide seemed to know what she was talking about, but I asked her what famous paintings she had painted, and she said she had never even painted a painting. Oh my God! I yelled obscenities at her for being such a cheat and a fraud. How dare she try to tell people about Norman Rockwell when she had never so much as lifted a brush! I stomped out of there as mad as I could be.

Later, I went grocery shopping, and some people were collecting money for 'The Troops Overseas'. Well, I asked them how many of them were veterans, and only a couple were. Well, I'm a veteran, and that made me really mad. How dare they presume to speak for veterans, they have never worn the uniform or gone in harm's way like I have! I knocked over their stand and screamed obscenities at them.

I got home, and surfed to RFF, and here I find that Roger is not a famous photographer! How dare he write books about photography! How dare he offer his advice! How dare he converse with anyone on RFF! How dare ANY OF YOU make any comments on RFF at all, if you're NOT famous photographers! In fact, I will never post here again, because I am not a famous photographer, so clearly I have nothing valid to say either! Only famous photographers may speak, so the rest of you (and me), you must shut up and go live in a hole in the ground now!

Oh wait. That's all BS. I forgot, people can have opinions about a whole range of things that they are not famous for.

And yet when it comes to photography - if you haven't been lauded as a famous artiste, you should not be speaking. I see. Funny, seem to be seeing that a lot lately.

Person A: I posit X.
Person B: I posit Y.
Person A: Well, let's see your gallery, if you think you're so smart.
Person B: Here it is (link).
Person A: Well, your pictures suck, so you obviously have nothing interesting or valid to say about photography. I hereby refuse to speak to you.

Now, tell me. Is it Person A or Person B who is smearing the contents of their diapers on the halls of RFF?

:D I agree.
In a shorter way, in Italy we say "you don't have to be a chicken to know if an egg is good or gone off"!
Cheers

Brian Sweeney
05-10-2009, 11:14
It's the Internet. It's "sour grapes" from a Wannabe and Neverwas.

Yoda is the Jedi Master in Star Wars. He does not use a light meter, uses zone focus, and always Panatomic-X in Microdol diluted 1:3.

mhv
05-10-2009, 12:00
Well, Roger, I'm not a fan of your photography, given that I never bought prints from you, nor have I ever spent days with one of your shot stuck in my mind. But do you really care? After all, you're not a fan of mine either, by that definition!

Somehow that's irrelevant, as I've spent a bit of time reading your writings, in print and electron form, chatting with you on this and other forums, and there's something you managed to pass on to me in the form of practical knowledge. Who cares about the rest?

Conversely, I am enthralled by Bill Eggleston, but there's only one single paragraph of text from him that matters to me. Not that he wrote much, to begin with...

mwooten
05-10-2009, 12:08
Why do folks waste so much energy in being rude to others? To spend all that time typing such rot.

--michael

Todd.Hanz
05-10-2009, 12:21
Hey Roger...

WHAT THE F*CK?!?!

someone had to do it, ;)

I think some of us know the culprit, same dude stirs the bucket from time to time. Ignore him and he'll go away, worked for me ;)

Todd

crawdiddy
05-10-2009, 12:35
Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery. But very little confirms your significance more than the vitriolic diatribe you shared with us.

And Roger, I find your comments insightful, and your demeanor charming.

The best to you and Frances. Keep the posts coming. Even the occasional photograph!

Trius
05-10-2009, 12:43
It's the Internet. It's "sour grapes" from a Wannabe and Neverwas.

Yoda is the Jedi Master in Star Wars. He does not use a light meter, uses zone focus, and always Panatomic-X in Microdol diluted 1:3.

Nah. Real masters use Harvey's 777 and the Zen system.

John Robertson
05-10-2009, 13:56
Ah the joy of the Internet, it allows disturbed minds to air their opinions, with no one around to tell them to "belt up." This individual, in a pub or some other public place, would not say "boo" to a goose, just boil with jealousy inside then go home and kick the cat or some other poor defenceless creature who cannot answer him back.
My sincere advice for your "secret admirer" would be to urgently seek psyciatric help, he needs it before his attitude destroys him, as untreated it most surely will.

chippy
05-10-2009, 14:22
lovely fan mail! its a shame, no one should have to put up with it...

seemed awfully long winded just to say '***', 'you suck' and 'dude' over and over, if you dont take it personally though the line about blathering like a Tibetan yoda was kinda funny and about the most creative part in the letter..it gave me a mental picture that i thought was hilarious...maybe Roger sits on the Kangrinboqe peak with his laptop and has turned a little green from the cold.....jk roger

http://www.chinaculture.org/img/2005-10/14/xinsimple_2210021411003022177815.jpg

now i am wondering if Star Wars came with Tibetan subtitles!

if he has such distain for microstock (presumably 35mm) its curious why he reads so much RFF or Rogers stuff..:rolleyes:

momus1
05-10-2009, 14:33
Take it as a compliment. At least you had an effect on someone, wingnut though they may be. It's a public forum and these things happen w/ the public. On to the next wingnut. Life goes on.

I did ask myself how I would feel if someone had sent me something like that. I'd probably be a little spooked at first. There's a fair amount of crazies out there. But I suspect my second feeling would be of the complete cosmic absurdity of it all. Just a ridiculous event in the flow and ebb.

Drewus
05-10-2009, 14:46
The internet is serious business.....

antiquark
05-10-2009, 15:20
This is explained by the Grand Unified Theory of the Internet:

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Internet_Fu%63kwad_Theory

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69676&d=1241997558

David Murphy
05-10-2009, 15:32
Roger, just a note of support here. Your book "Rangefinder: Equipment, History, Techniques" greatly influenced me and a lot of others here I'm sure. I'm certain it was a big factor in the "rangefinder revolution". I appreciate your witty, relaxed writing style and I enjoy your photos as well (just ignore the psychos).

hans voralberg
05-10-2009, 15:47
I have to admit I find it funny how someone could write so many swear words into a single letter without any significant meaning or opinion :P

Keith
05-10-2009, 15:54
I have to admit I find it funny how someone could write so many swear words into a single letter without any significant meaning or opinion :P

I think the excessive repetition of the 'F' word was a deliberate attempt to mask a personality or identity that may have been a little more obvious if they had used their normal delivery. There was a huge over compensation apparent there to me!

Realistically it would have been much more damaging personally if the individual had said ...

Dear Roger,

I'm a working photographer and regard myself as reasonably successful ... and I need to tell you that I think your outpt is absolutely uninspiring dross and you need to consider a career alternative!

Regards etc etc!

J J Kapsberger
05-10-2009, 16:00
OK, so was it then? Some of you feel you know. I'm now curious.

lmd91343
05-10-2009, 16:02
Roger,

Ignore that person's email. There are some crazy people in this world. You are a high profile person by virtue of your photographs, websites, and frequent posts here. That will attract the crazy people. The anonymity of the web allows such behavior. Too bad he did not identify himself so you could "ignore" him.

aizan
05-10-2009, 16:14
who could this anonymous crank be? it sure would lend some credibility to his ranting if he didn't suck himself.

thomasw_
05-10-2009, 16:24
Hey Roger,

Most of the chaps here value your photography, your experienced advice and your writing style. But there's no accounting for the jackass factor; they seem to show up wherever oxygen is. Like a fire the jackass requires oxygen to thrive; so, too, like a jackass a fire will die without oxygen attending it. Starve your jackass of any attention, as it is his oxygen.

I enjoy your gear reviews and darkroom/printing articles a lot. I hope Frances is doing better these days?

Good cheer,

Thomas

chippy
05-10-2009, 16:30
who could this anonymous crank be? it sure would lend some credibility to his ranting if he didn't suck himself.

no doubt he must be a photographer with great flexibility :p

novum
05-10-2009, 16:33
The problem is his--too bad he saw fit to try and drag you into the mire. And he (gotta be a "he") is a coward.

noimmunity
05-10-2009, 16:41
It seems we are heading into a period when there is a general competition to fantasize oneself as the World's-Most-Authentic-Victim at the same time there is a general disavowal of the extent to which well-meaning people participate in or contribute to vast inequalities and suffering in other people. Indeed there are *real* victims everyday, but in the case brought to our attention by Roger, we are talking about a person who really has an unrealized fantasy about being a "winner" or a perpetrator.

Tibetan Buddhism always teaches that encountering people and obstacles like this is a wonderful opportunity for which we must be grateful.

telemetre
05-10-2009, 16:51
Hmm, as I don't wish to beleive this strange email is written by a fellow human being, let's assume it's the result of a rogue prank email software. We may try to convince ourselves Roger was randomly targeted. Poor little software, it must be lonely, cold and boring out there...

peterm1
05-10-2009, 16:54
I hope that the character who wrote that vitriol in the letter gets his cummuppance. I have no idea who Roger Hicks is either but even if I did and even if I did not like him or his photography (and I am hesitating here but I am beginning to think the author of the letter does not) I would not write a letter like this. Why? Why Bother? If you dont agree with someone, ignore their posts. Job done!!!

But here is why I feel strongly. I used to be a member of the Leica Forum over at Photonet. About 2 years ago I left because trolls like this began to predominate there - a minority (but unfortunately a minority that was too large to ignore) began regularly making posts like the letter quoted - inflamatory, denigrating, harping, aggressive, ill informed, unpleasant, rude, bitchy, argumentative and vitriolic. All for no good reason. I could go on but you get the message. Unfortunately no one pulled them up. The moderators at the time were either too weak or disinterested to ban them and erase their posts.

And you know what -that forum is now almost moribund. Dead! Kaput! If it weren't nailed to the perch it would be pushing up daisies. That is an ex Parrot. But I diverge.

Today there are very few posts there any more. Well at least a tiny fraction of what there used to be. Almost every one left, just like me. I would hate to see that happen here.

I can only make one appeal to the Webmaster at this site - a zero tolerance policy for flaming. As soon as any posts of this sort are found erase them and black-list the authors. This is a site for sharing views on a shared love - rangefinders and photography. Not a place to share abuse. Trolls get their kicks from being trolls. From being able to flame people and then watch them splutter in incoherent, impotent anger. Do not let them.

paulfitz76
05-10-2009, 16:55
Roger,

I seem to recall most of the photographers that are recognized "greats" didn't really care what someone thought of what they shot or how the photo looked.

I think most people here know the line:

"It looks good photographed"

Anyway, don't let it get to you. This is truly an amazing forum and place. How else could I find the name of someone I posted in a street shot taken almost 10 years ago in Canada, when I now live in Florida! To me that's absolutely amazing.

The value of this whole site is in the community, and I think everyone who lets people express themselves without a lot of negative rhetoric understands this.

Perhaps the volmue of negative rhetoric is inversely proportional to the amount of shooting.

Shoot, and shoot some more, after all...

"It looks good photographed"

Soeren
05-10-2009, 17:41
Tsk tsk geez what an idiot

Hey Mr. "What the f*ck" you missed something.

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/ps%20ignore%20gurus.html

:)

I actually find Roger and Frances articles and reviews very informative and since I know what they stand for I feel I can interprit and use the information.
I just bought the ZF 25mm Distagon based on the review by Frances and one test roll and I am very pleased with it. Regarding Photographic achievements, well even the great masters turned out junk form time to time, so what.
Best Regards

flip
05-10-2009, 17:58
In life it is best not to reward others' anger with the reaction they crave.

-Ben Kenobi

Mattikk
05-10-2009, 18:08
Bill Pierce, that was a cheap shot. ;)

mfogiel
05-10-2009, 18:09
The curious element in this, is the energy the guy has put into his angry rant. I guess he must have some serious problem. This is a forum for people who love photography and want to learn, so criticism is only admitted if it is specific and serves the cause of understanding and improving. As to professional photographers - I think most of them would be too busy to waste their time on this kind of nonsense, even if it only were to express their envy.
So all in all Roger, you should actually consider this as a sign that your photographic activity is a roaring success ;-).

JohnTF
05-10-2009, 18:29
Tom Cruise IS gay! Everyone knows that!

Roger, I would be honoured to have so rabid a fan!

Great, the news about Kelly McGillis, and now Maverick. That kind of kills Top Gun.

Roger, I imagine he does not get much spam with his return address, but probably a few offers for an American Express Card.

What is it they say about such stuff? It says more about the author than the subject?

I have sent you a few suggestions on projects I think would be great for you, but so far you seem to have resisted. ;-)

***, still think you should buy Neobrom Brno and start them back up, heck you can drive there in about 15 hours. ;-)

I have received anonymous evaluations each term for the last 24 years, and now the boss has them xeroxed, files away the originals, and about six months later I get the copies. It is always interesting to be criticized and complimented for the same styles of presentation, and yes, when the grades are higher, so are my "evaluations". I only really take issue with the disingenuous ones, but no one likes to take unfair shots. The stats are public domain, and I suppose I could change some things and pander to the evaluations, but I would also necessarily conflict very much with what is right.

I have seen a severe shift in respect, in that any opinion is somehow equal to any other, and an entitlement belief system that we all have to be pandered to, regardless of merit.

Rewards for bureaucrats and administrators more and more involve the ability to "handle" people rather than engage them in meaningful dialogue. Style over content.

Regards, and good health. John

Roger Hicks
05-10-2009, 18:45
Thanks, everyone. I was just so p'd off that someone could not only attack me -- this is not entirely unknown -- but drag RFF into the mire as well. I've stayed on RFF for longer than any other forum because the majority of people are really nice, and civilized, and friendly. Even the ones who don't like me usually remain polite (or ignore me, which I much prefer).

I know I'm not the greatest photographer in the world, but I'm not the worst either, and I do know quite a bit about history, equipment and (mostly obsolescent) techniques. It would be sad if I didn't, given that it has furnished my livelihood for some decades.

Like any half-decent teacher, if I can teach anyone anything, I want them to end up better than I am at whatever I have taught. Some have been kind enough to say that they have learned a little from me.

Tashi delek,

Roger

anglophone1
05-10-2009, 19:09
Hi fellow monocle wearing late 50s Francophile photoBrit.

"Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) ."

Where does it say anything about your PHOTOGRAPHY anyway?

Just another one of those cybersaddos that this medium seems to attract............bring back cyberflogging for them I say...........

Will pass your door on Sunday 24th heading south [Rosslare>Roscoff>Antibes] shall I bring a bottle of Bushmills to cheer you [both] up?

Best

Clive

Roger Hicks
05-10-2009, 19:16
Hi fellow monocle wearing late 50s Francophile photoBrit.

"Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) ."

Where does it say anything about your PHOTOGRAPHY anyway?

Just another one of those cybersaddos that this medium seems to attract............bring back cyberflogging for them I say...........

Will pass your door on Sunday 24th heading south [Rosslare>Roscoff>Antibes] shall I bring a bottle of Bushmills to cheer you [both] up?

Best

Clive

Dear Clive,

Alas! We will almost certainly be away then, barring mishap, or we'd love to have seen you again -- and apologies for not replying to PMs on your travel plans.

I do like the idea of bringing back cyberflogging, though.

Cheers,

R.

Soeren
05-10-2009, 19:24
Oh BTW Con gratulation on your new title as "Lord". Shall we now refer to you as Sir Roger Hicks? :D
Best regards

anglophone1
05-10-2009, 19:29
Will pass by again [heading North] approx three weeks later.
Otherwise will see you [I hope] at Rencontres in Arles...............
Best
Clive

John Robertson
05-10-2009, 21:50
[QUOTE

I actually find Roger and Frances articles and reviews very informative and since I know what they stand for I feel I can interprit and use the information.
I just bought the ZF 25mm Distagon based on the review by Frances and one test roll and I am very pleased with it. Regarding Photographic achievements, well even the great masters turned out junk form time to time, so what.
Best Regards[/QUOTE]

Sometimes Rogers article on the back page of AP is the only thing in it worth reading!!:cool:

notturtle
05-10-2009, 22:26
What an animated email from a someone with a chip on his shoulder so heavy that he probably requires snow shoes to walk on concrete.

'and here in the blue corner we have Mr X, whose identity and facial features have been hidden in case he should suffer defeat....'

kuvvy
05-10-2009, 22:43
They're not all locked up are they Roger?

I know this isn't the first time someone has taken a dislike to you Roger, but put it behind you and perhaps he'll fade away for good. No forum, should have any member that is is so downright abusive and offensve in this manner. Okay, by all means voice your opinions in an expessive manner but do not resort to verbal abuse just because you don't like someone or their photography.

I know that both Roger and Frances are both accomplished photographers and very knowledgable about photographic techniques, processing, history and equipment and that their input into this forum is valuable and welcomed by many of us.

Austerby
05-10-2009, 22:50
Am I the only one who thinks that Mr Angry seems like a character from a David Mamet play - Glengarry Glen Ross, for example. It's so extreme that he becomes a paradigm of the protective veiling that the internet provides. Was it in green text?

I suggest a Pinteresque silence may be the best response, though (and I'm aware of Roger's tastes here) dear old J-P Satre's play Huis Clos may be appropriate too. (The play is also known as "In Camera" in English)

Soeren
05-10-2009, 23:07
[QUOTE

Sometimes Rogers article on the back page of AP is the only thing in it worth reading!!:cool:

Yes but in the end it was just not enough to justify buying the mag :D

john neal
05-10-2009, 23:22
Roger,

I'm with bmattock and John Robertson here (except, I feel the ONLY thing worth reading in AP is the back page, but ONLY when written by you - [crawl mode off])

serioulsy though, I have an advantage on some of the folks here, in that I have actually met you, and the delightful Frances. OK there are some of you shots that I don't get, but the overall balance, for me, is most definitely positive:-

- you do know way more about photography than me, or anyone I know,
- you are willing to share your knowledge
- you are generous in spirit, soul and gesture

What's not to like?

Ignore it and accept that there are some wiedos out there in cyberland

Leigh Youdale
05-10-2009, 23:35
What an appalling email, and what an appalling mind it reveals.
I'm a fan Roger (and Frances). I've benefited from reading your books, I always enjoy your articles in B&W Photographer when they appear and I love the slight quirkiness of your life and travels as revealed through your own website. More power to you, and I hope if ever the Moderator finds out who the sick individual is that sent that nasty piece that they get exposed as well as blocked from any further participation.

Krosya
05-10-2009, 23:50
Wow this thread is not closed yet? Hmm. Interesting.

wakarimasen
05-11-2009, 00:18
This kind of post says more about the guy that wrote it, than his intended 'target.'

Roger Hicks
05-11-2009, 00:27
I think this thread has run its course, really, and if I knew how, I'd close it. (I'm supposed to have 'limited moderating powers' in my own sub-forum, but I don't know how to use them).

Honest, I wasn't fishing for compliments: that's always a dangerous activity, especially when you don't get 'em. I just wanted to point up the difference between this e-mail, and the standard of behaviour that normally obtains on RFF. A number of people have kindly sent me PMs about the likely source, with all fingers pointing in the same direction, but of course I have no proof.

Anyway, thanks everyone. It might have been better if I'd not started this thread, but once it had been posted, I thought it better to leave it where it was.

Cheers,

Roger

Kevin
05-11-2009, 00:52
Roger's newest fan mail is like a strangely successful rangefinder hip shot: slightly tilted, weird perspective, unfocused and blurry but LOTS of feeling and emotional content.

It's a picture people like to talk about.