PDA

View Full Version : My "Panda" Olympus 35 EC

AzzA
03-29-2009, 02:33
Just picked up this little beauty at a camera market today for pocket change.
I spotted it on a table crowded with other cameras. My eyes seem to lock onto any camera with black paint these days, and that was why I noticed this little guy.
When I picked the EC up I wasnt expecting to the silver bottom plate, and was actually a little dissapointed to see it at first. But, the added "quirkyness" of the silver bottom plate started to grow on me, and now I quite like it. I doubt there'd be too many other Panda EC's around also.
Anyway, just thought i'd post up a pic for others to have a look/laugh.
I've attached my Zhou leather wrist strap to it, and everyone wants to "have a go" with the camera now :p

http://www.arransalerno.com/images/pandaec.jpg (http://www.arransalerno.com/blog)

Oh, the camera works perfectly well with the battery "adapter" (aluminum foil), but i'm having a small issue with something else. For some reason the shutter botton doesnt pop back up properly after it's pressed down. There are times when it'll stay down until I tap it again, and there are other times where I watch it slowly pop back up by itself.
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? I took the plates off it to have a look, but couldnt find anything wrong from a quick inspecation.
It still works, but would be nice if it worked 100%.
Cheers :)

ClaremontPhoto
03-29-2009, 02:38
There are times when it'll stay down until I tap it again, and there are other times where I watch it slowly pop back up by itself.

Many people buy little blue pills for this condition...

AzzA
03-29-2009, 02:54
Many people buy little blue pills for this condition...

haha.. I thought that when I wrote it.. I was wondering who'd bring it "up" first.
:p

daveywaugh
03-29-2009, 03:24
Can't help with the 'getting it up' problem, but I do want to congratulate you! What a beauty! I love the 'panda' look and the VF and lens look in v.clean condition. Pardon my ignorance, but where does the EC fit into the family? I have an RC which I love, and have heard of the RD etc but not the EC.

ColinW
03-29-2009, 04:49
Azza,

What a brilliant catch. If you can't find anything with the plate off, it might just be slightly gummed up with lack of use. It'll hopefully ease of with use and start popping up on its own (stop s******ng at the back there!)

Davey,

Have a look down the page of this link to see where it fits in.

http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/camhistory/camhistory.htm

The EC and its succesor the EC2 were zone focus, while the ECR was a rangefinder.

cysasam
03-29-2009, 04:57
haha.. I thought that when I wrote it.. I was wondering who'd bring it "up" first.
:p

Now that you've raised the question...

Trius
03-29-2009, 16:43
I have a 35SP with the same "getting it up" problem. Under the top plate there is no problem visible, so I suspect a lubrication issue lower down in the linkage

AzzA
03-29-2009, 22:05
Hehe everyone is a comedian! :P

Cheers Colin, hopefully it does eventually free up after some more use.
:)

Pompiere
03-30-2009, 03:17
I see on the link above that the EC was introduced in 1971, and the ECR in 1972. Does anyone know when Olympus stopped making the EC/ECR's?

like2fiddle
03-30-2009, 03:48
Try just a drop or two of lighter fluid on the button. It will run down into the camera works. Apparently it is a mild lubricant solvent so it can revive dry lubricants, and while it will not substitute for a proper lube job, it may buy you time until you can have that done.

jesse1dog
04-02-2009, 12:50
Hadn't seen a black EC2 before even if this doesn't quite fit that description.
I picked up an all black EC2 some time back but haven't got round to 'giving it a go' yet. These black cameras do have a different presence in comparison to the usual 'chrome' varieties. Very nice - you've done well to pick up yours.
J

AzzA
04-02-2009, 16:04
Try just a drop or two of lighter fluid on the button. It will run down into the camera works.
Yeah, i'll definately give that a go, cheers. Hopefully it improves it atleast a little.

These black cameras do have a different presence in comparison to the usual 'chrome' varieties. Very nice - you've done well to pick up yours.
J
Thanks, yeah I agree these black versions do have a different presence as you say. I have 2 Olympus SP's, one in black and one in chrome. People who see the cameras always like the black the most (not knowing that the black is alot more scarce that the chrome).
The panda EC just looks a bit goofy though, haha :D