PDA

View Full Version : List of XA questions

MarkoKovacevic
02-12-2009, 11:50
What questions should I ask the KEH salesperson about the XA?

For example, what are some common problems with the XA? So that I can ask the salesperson to test it out before I buy it.

Matus
02-13-2009, 06:24
Ask whether:

- the lens is clean without scratches or fungus
- the camera shows correct exposure times in the viewfinder (it may shoot correctly, but show wrong ones)
- how do the light seals look - most probably need to be exchanged, but you may get lucky if this was already done.
- the rangefinder works properly
- if the flash is along - does it work? (if the flash is important to you)
- The shutter/exposure system works correctly
- whether the self timer works
- ... there is for sure more ...

Caveat: I have the camera for about an hour and shot less than 1 film, but did search this website before getting it (like this: GOOGLE (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.rangefinderforum.com+oly mpus+xa&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=))

Good luck with your buy

ClaremontPhoto
02-13-2009, 06:43
"I'm giving it to my girlfriend for a once in a lifetime trip to Beijing. Is it OK for that?"

Listen for any pause or hesitation.

jesse1dog
02-13-2009, 08:22
The XA is an old camera with all the uncertaincies of old cameras.
I would want to give it a good testing before I took it and even then I might want to take a second camera as a back-up. I suspect that the XA2 or XA3 might be a safer bet. Is the rangefinder function really needed?
A spare battery would be part of my kit wherever I was going.

Hope you get a great XA!

j

Steve Bellayr
02-13-2009, 08:53
For a once in a lifetime trip: Miniumum of 2 cameras. Yes spare batteries.

John Hermanson
02-13-2009, 08:54
A used camera dealer should be selling you an overhauled camera, tuned up camera with new seals. It's surprising to hear what people are expecting to get. John, www.zuiko.com

Steve Bellayr
02-13-2009, 08:58
You might also want to look into the Nikon L35AF and the Olympus Stylus Epic 35mm f2.8 or f3.5. Inexpensive with sharp lenses. All three have built in flash with auto-focus. Dosen't get easier.