PDA

View Full Version : Olympus-S Rangefinder Battery Query

andrewmore
01-25-2009, 08:53
I have just bought an Olympus-S Rangefinder Camera - this is the second version with the CdS meter (round meter window). Camera seems fine, but has no battery in it to power the meter. What battery should I use please - I can't find an instruction book anywhere (yet)?

I know someone will be able to provide the information so thanks in advance.

Regards

Andrew More

bmattock
01-25-2009, 08:58
I have just bought an Olympus-S Rangefinder Camera - this is the second version with the CdS meter (round meter window). Camera seems fine, but has no battery in it to power the meter. What battery should I use please - I can't find an instruction book anywhere (yet)?

I know someone will be able to provide the information so thanks in advance.

Regards

Andrew More

You mean this one?

http://www.lyndrup.dk/ken/Engelsk/Olympus E/Olympus-S E.htm

Selenium meter means it has (and takes) no battery at all. The light hitting the sensor generates the electricity it needs, if it is functioning correctly. Selenium meters age and eventually fail. They can be redone at a price, I'm told. I have never bothered - I just use an external meter. Can you set the shutter speed and f-stop manually? If so, you should be fine.

andrewmore
01-25-2009, 10:03
I couldn't get the link to work. The camera dates from about 1963 - will try and sort out a photo of it sometime. It definately has a battery powered meter - the housing has a screw top at the left hand end of the camera as you look through it. Battery seems to be wider and flatter than the usual SR44 type found in the much later Olympus OM series of SLR cameras. The man I bought the camera from had tried a battery (but not of the right size) and got the meter to flick about so it seems worth trying to get a battery to see how accurate the meter is. The meter is on the top of the camera and you would need to match the needle to the middle of two oppoing triangles. I can always use the camera manually with a hand-held or clip meter. The last clues to identity is that the camera has a Copal shutter and an F1.8, 4.2cm (42mm) lens.

Thanks for such a rapid reply.

Andrew More

bmattock
01-25-2009, 12:58
Sorry, I thought you meant you could not find where the battery went in. My bad.

I also fixed the link - not sure why that didn't work the first time, sorry.

Based on how you describe the battery, I will guess that you need a PX-625 battery. The good news is you can get something close to it. The bad news is that the batteries of that era were made with mercury, and those batteries are no longer made, haven't been made in years. They produced 1.35 volts.

The direct alkaline or silver-oxide replacement unfortunately makes 1.55 volts, which is enough of a difference to throw your metering off a fair amount, but it's worse than that. It seems mercury cells were popular because they were very, very stable in terms of output. They put out 1.35 volts from the time they were fresh until they were very nearly dead - a flat curve, as they say. The 1.55 volt replacements drop in voltage as they get older, so you can't just compensate by adjusting ISO speed of your film, for example. That only works when the battery is brand new, and rapidly stops working.

Aternatives?

External meter.

Zinc-Air battery from a company like Wein (expensive, and they don't last that long), but they have the right voltage and are nice and flat in terms of output.

Battery converter - not cheap, but you can reuse it over and over again, and it has a voltage regulator that not only drops the voltage of an SR44-type battery, but keeps the output steady electronically.

Have camera converted to use more modern batteries. Some can be recalibrated, some can't. Probably the most expensive option. I had it done on an Olympus RD, and I'm not sorry I did so, but really, I tend towards the 'external meter' approach.

Hope that helps.

andrewmore
01-25-2009, 13:34
Thank you very much. I'll try a PX-625 clone (I have one in my external meter). I suspect using the external meter will be easier and more accurate anyway. The link works now and my camera is the next model on from this one with a little round meter window where the patterned area is.

Regards

Andrew More

David Hughes
01-26-2009, 07:39
Hi,

If you get a Wein cell you may find that - once it has died on you - you can push the battery out of the washer that gives it the old fashioned shape. Then try a hearing aid battery in the washer; they're a lot cheaper but don't last as long. If the washer is loose, try cutting across it and closing the saw cut up a little bit.

If you don't fancy making one, then try www.paulbg.com (http://www.paulbg.com) He supplied the one I use in the Leica CL, Canon Pellix, Praktica etc.

Regards, David

bgb
01-09-2010, 17:02
I got one too ... exactly the same with the Cds but my meter is dead.

Camera is in almost perfect condition and I'm taking it to the local technician for a full service tomorrow. I hope it can be converted to run with SR44 or a battery that is easily obtainable. Otherwise i guess it's hearing aid batteries or a converter.

I have not been able to find anything of value on the net but it looks like a simple camera to figure out.

Any others out there?

Cheers,
Brian