PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Wide-S (Super)

ChrisPlatt
01-05-2009, 11:23
I just got a c.1957 Olympus Wide-S on eBay. Now it's working, thanks to Karl Bryan.

It is a 35mm fixed-lens rangefinder camera with 35mm f/2.0 H-Zuiko-W lens,
parallax compensating framelines and Seikosha MXL shutter (B, 1-1/500)
Feel is very smooth and solid. The lens is said to be quite good.

There are a few mentions of this model on the Web
but this is the first example I have ever seen.
Has anyone here ever used one of these?

TIA,
Chris

bmattock
01-05-2009, 11:56
No, but congratulations, you got a great one.

I have the Olympus 35-S II, which was made in 1957 like yours, but had a G.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 lens, instead of the wide lens you have.

Olympus used to use letters to indicate how many elements were in it the lens. So the 35 RC has an E.Zuiko, the RD has a F.Zuiko, the SP has an G.Zuiko. So an H.Zuiko has 8 elements in it.

Mine looks like yours, I believe built on the same frame, but yours is much more rare. Hope it gives you years of good service - I'm quite pleased with mine!

shadowfox
01-05-2009, 12:19
Woot!

A year ago, when I was still collecting Oly RF's, this one is high on my list because of the kick-butt lens.

Please, post pictures from it, Chris! ;)

Added: Heck, post pictures *of* it also...

ChrisPlatt
01-05-2009, 14:58
Here's a pic from the Olympus website:

racoll
01-07-2009, 16:32
Nice catch, Chris! Like bmattock I also have the 35-SII with the 1.8 lens which looks just like your camera. I think it's a beautiful camera in an understated way, and it's a joy to use; it's one of my favorites. Enjoy your new toy and post some shots when you can.

Trius
01-07-2009, 17:45
I believe Olympus used that chassis for a lot of different cameras. I have an Electroset that looks pretty much like that. Of course, it is in pieces, so ...