PDA

View Full Version : XA battery cover woes....

Bill58
11-03-2008, 20:04
I've got two of these little gems and one won't allow the cover to screw-in securely. After turning and turning w/ or w/o batteries, it won't screw-in snug. The problem one has a rather flimsy, thin brass "rim" to hold the threads of the cover. The other one that works fine has what appears instead to be stainless steel.

Anybody got an idea?

Many thanks.
Bill

st3ph3nm
11-05-2008, 01:58
My first thought is to look at the threads of both the cover and the camera, and give them a good clean. Sometimes it's just dirt or corrosion that stops a thread. Electrical contact cleaner (from a good electronics or automotive retailer) should do the trick. While you're at it, check if the threads are worn or there's a nick in it. A thread file may solve this (again, from a decent automotive retailer).

Failing that, XA2's are so cheap now, you could rat one for parts. I used my XA2 as a reference for replacing light seals in my XA - and in a pinch I'd use it for spares if I had to.

Cheers,
Steve

zuikologist
11-05-2008, 03:45
I have found that it pays to be very careful with the battery cover and fit it by screwing in gently anti-clockwise until you find the beginning of the threads and these engage, then slowly turn clockwise, keeping the cover level to the camera.

Bill58
11-15-2008, 17:03
I took it to my repair guy and he had to replace the bottom plate--the piece that catches the threads on the cover/ cap was worn out. Another $15 invested in my XA. I could have bought a Leica w/ all the bucks I've put in it and it's brother. Lots of mech. and electronic problems!