PDA

View Full Version : Focus problems Trip 35

Tim Read
09-12-2008, 04:30
I am a newbie with this camera which seems to be in excellent condition but my results were badly out of focus despite my careful estimation of distance and use of zone symbols. Am I making a fundamental error? Thanks in anticipation.

Petroleum V. Nasby
09-12-2008, 04:46
Insufficient data.

TheHub
09-12-2008, 05:42
Can you give us some more info? What kind of film, specifically speed, did you use? What kind of lighting conditions?

Has the Trip recently been serviced?

Muggins
09-12-2008, 05:43
Hmm, I can do one of two things here.

1. I can post a pointless and ill-tempered remark to someone whose only "crime" is to be a bit wet behind the ears (a whole 24 less posts) or

2. I can try to help.

Luckily today I choose 2.

In terms of Trip expertise I'd try the group on Flickr, who seem to spend a lot of time fiddling with Trips: http://www.flickr.com/groups/olympustrip35/

If you post a scan or two it might help as well - and perhaps a close-up of the lens. It's possible that someone has had it apart and not got it back together right (there's very little difference in distance between close-up and infinity, so it's easy to reassemble incorrectly) - can't think of any other likely reason at the moment, though can think of one or two unlikely ones .

Adrian

Tim Read
09-12-2008, 11:41
Thanks for these replies and sorry to post insufficient data. I will get my act together and firstly put another roll of film through the camera and be more careful. If the problem persists I will post more details. Thanks again.

Gadge
09-12-2008, 11:51
try taking some pics that correspond to the pics on the trip 35 zone focus e.g. half a person, a whole person and some thing far enough away to be infinity (the mountains). Make sure you hold the camera still when taking those pics. If they still are not in focus then maybe something is wrong with the camera.

It is pretty basic so hard to go wrong really.

Bon chance

btgc
09-12-2008, 12:56
Tim, look what I've googled up - http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00NK8s

So check front element during focusing.

Note reference to "classic camera repair forum" - that's kyphoto.com - good resource for one dealing with DIY repairs.

aad
09-12-2008, 13:18
If the lens assembly has been taken apart-to clean a sticky aperture, for instance-and the element was not kept aligned, it will not focus properly. I have a VERY nice looking Trip that is totally useless for this reason. Well, that and the crappy job done reassembling the aperture so that exposure is totally random.

Nice, otherwise.

Tim Read
09-14-2008, 04:11
Thanks to Gadge for the advice to follow the focus symbol pics. I did this but will do it again more carefully. I do have some experience with rangefinders and scale distance but will exercise even more care. Thanks also btgc for the photozone link. Very interesting. I have some small screw drivers but not that small plus I lack the confidence to take the camera apart. So if the next roll is still out of focus I will get a quote to have it fixed. It might be cheaper to get another one with the assurance that it is working. Part of the reason I am mystified is that I bought the Trip from a 100% ebay seller and all the functions seem to work well. Maybe it was a dud roll of film or I misjudged the distances. Thanks again for the effort.

aad
09-14-2008, 04:52
I bought mine from a reputable seller, too. He offered to replace it, but I decided it wasn't worth the bother with overseas shipping.

Tim Read
09-16-2008, 03:42
I think I have struck lucky. I wrote a non complaining email to the e-bay supplier simply describing the focus problem and I am being sent another Trip free of charge and postage. The supplier in question has a 100% e-bay rating (as I do) and was upset to have supplied (inadvertently) a dud. There are some good people out there. Thanks again to those who responded. As a new member, I now have a better idea of how to participate in the forum more constructively.

charjohncarter
09-16-2008, 06:45
I have a one side frosted piece of clear plastic that I put over film hole. I change the focus on the camera and move to an object that I can get easily in focus. Then I measure and see what differences are. I do this before I start taking anything apart. With the trip you could probably use scotch tape or wax paper. Also mounting on a tripod helps.

Muggins
09-16-2008, 07:26
The Trip only has two speeds (1/40 and 1/200, off the top of my head), neither of which are B. Unfortunately that ruins the suggestion. Pity - for almost anything else it would be good (done it myself - I use a microscope slide with a piece of scotch tape on it). Unless there's something you know that we don't?

I like my Trips, but that really is a pain when you repair one!

Adrian

charjohncarter
09-16-2008, 08:06
No, you are right., forgot, too bad.