PDA

View Full Version : calling all canucks

back alley
05-05-2005, 13:30
how 'bout we pick a day and come rain or shine, we do a 'day in the life of' series of photos?

let's show our fellow forumers what we are all about.

whadyasay?

i'm thinking a saturday or sunday.
keeping it simple would be best in my mind. no rules.
suggestions welcomed.

joe

BJ Bignell
05-05-2005, 14:07
I would support that. I'll take a picture of my girlfriend early in the morning before she's properly awake (bad hair and all), and then I can take a picture of the bruises she gave me!

I'm gonna use my pinholaroid camera, and I'm gonna do a whole weekend, 'cause it wouldn't really be cheating if there are no rules... :D

GeneW
05-05-2005, 14:14
Joe, that would be a fun one. Count me in!

Gene

afaceinthecrowd
05-05-2005, 14:20
Sounds like fun in the sun in sleepy old Victoria :D

dan

Marc Jutras
05-05-2005, 14:50
Why not!

Sundays may be safer for me as the @#$#@%$ wedding season is beginning... Although Saturday nights may be more fun to shoot. ;)

back alley
05-05-2005, 14:55
well, we could do a WEEKEND in the life of canada, both saturday & sunday.
maybe a long weekend?

and have all photos posted by the friday after.

comments?
there must be more canadians out there too.

joe

afaceinthecrowd
05-05-2005, 15:02
A long weekend may give more people a chance to fit it in ...

dan

Pherdinand
05-05-2005, 15:09
OK, just don't forget to upload the results, i'm pretty curious:)
Maybe i'll move to Canada if i like what I see. Are eatern europeans welcome over there? We can bear the cold... :rolleyes:

back alley
05-05-2005, 15:15
pherdi,

not all of canada is cold...just most of it:)
and there's lots of room. they let me in so i'm sure you'd be welcome.

joe

Kin Lau
05-05-2005, 15:30
How about the Victoria Day long weekend, May 20-22? With any luck, it'll actually snow :D

BJ Bignell
05-05-2005, 15:39
Do we have any forum members out there from "the Gap", Manitoba, the Maritimes, or the Territories? C'mon guys, don't be afraid to speak up!

Kin: If you're actually hoping that it snows, just keep your hope confined to Toronto! Few things make me as blue in the springtime as watching the snow pile up on the seat of my motorcycle. :(

edit: This was post 100 for me! Woo-hoo!!! Do I win a prize? Perhaps an M3, an MP, or at least an R3a? :D

cp_ste.croix
05-05-2005, 15:44
I'm in, though I can't wait to see the look on my gf's face as i give her the reason i need a scanner:

"you see honey, there is this online thing where i need to document a day in the life of canada, it's in the interests of nation building and cross cultural promotion...it's my duty"

And Pherdi, Canada was built on the backs of Eastern Europeans, The Chinese, The French, and all sorts of others. Come on over!

afaceinthecrowd
05-05-2005, 16:01
That scanner pitch just might work ... I'll try it tonight and let you know :)

dan

FrankS
05-05-2005, 16:06
I like the Victoria Day Weekend idea of Kin's.

BJ Bignell
05-05-2005, 16:14
I'm cool with Victoria Day weekend.

rover
05-05-2005, 16:15
One of my favorite thing about RFF is the international nature of the community. Hey, I don't know anyone else who has friends in Croatia! I can't wait to see the photos.

FrankS
05-05-2005, 16:25
Perhaps members in other countries could do the same and create their own folder to share. (Yes I know it woldn't be Victoria Day elsewhere, choose your own holiday/time.) It would be cool to see how many diff members are in diff countries. Plenty in the US of course, Australia, England, etc.

back alley
05-05-2005, 17:28
there is merciful in the east.

the may long weekend sounds good to me.

so pics posted by the 27th of may?

i'll start a thread and make it a 'sticky'!

joe

sockeyed
05-05-2005, 17:59
I love the idea, but (horrors), I'm going to the US for the long weekend! Maybe I'll sneak some shots before I go.

back alley
05-05-2005, 18:32
i might be able to help ya out there ben.
i know people at the border...yer not goin' anywhere now...

joe

jan normandale
05-05-2005, 18:51
Hi to Joe and all on this thread

you can count me in but I wonder if a lot of people won't be committed to doing other things and the shots will be all about the 'Queen Vic' weekend instead of a 'regular' weekend.

I will probably either be doing a 'open the cottage thing' or in the States fishing with friends. Like Sockeyed I might have to shoot earlier, how about that? Lets do any weekend up to and including the Victoria Day holiday and then all posted the following weekend. Especially if there are no rules....?? This would be an interesting composite of normal and holiday shots the dynamic could be interesting to see and play off.

How big should this folder be 12, 20, 30 shots, 2 rolls of shots per member??

Jan

the C41- BW guy

Bwbuff
05-06-2005, 07:12
Count me in also, can't wait to get Yashica electrofied. see you after the long weekend....

Stan

back alley
05-06-2005, 07:16
great jan & stan, (in the van)

my original thought was the july 1st holiday, but then i will in new york so that didn't work for me.

today.tonight i'm gonna sit down with a calender and pick a weekend date in the summer and hope for the best in terms of it fitting for the most shooters.

joe

BJ Bignell
05-06-2005, 08:22
Joe, you might drive yourself crazy trying to find a weekend that's gonna work for all of us. It just ain't gonna happen! :p I like Jan's idea of any weekend up to a set date. Even ordinary weekends are extraordinary, sometimes.

back alley
05-06-2005, 08:33
I like Jan's idea of any weekend up to a set date.

i gotta stop speed reading-i missed that part.

that sounds good to me.
any last comments before i sign off on any one idea?

joe

back alley
05-06-2005, 08:34
They claimed 4 -7 day delivery. And since you're not in Edmonton, it might happen. :)

ouch!

joe

Bill K.
05-06-2005, 09:35
Hi Joe,

I would love to participate if someone would tell me how to up-load pics to the (my) gallery.

Is it possible to up-load from a CD ? and if so, do I have to reduce the file size ?

Regards to all,

Bill K.

jan normandale
05-06-2005, 13:31
Bill, just get some tasty colour or b/w film from Fuji , expose it and take it to a Blacks. Ask them to process it and put it on a CD. The CD costs around $7.00/24.... the processing, I don't remember, I just pay. ;-)

Bring the CD home put in the computer and drag the shots you like to a folder and then go to RFF and up load the contents to the member section. Should work.

The scans are for 4x6 prints so they are usually close to what the max is for recommended dimensions at RFF

Jan

Hi Joe,

I would love to participate if someone would tell me how to up-load pics to the (my) gallery.

Is it possible to up-load from a CD ? and if so, do I have to reduce the file size ?

Regards to all,

Bill K.

back alley
05-06-2005, 14:01
ok, it's done. :)

a quick count reveals there are 12 of us--

bj
gene
dan
marc
kin
chris
frank
ben
jan
stan
bill
and me

if there are more, please join in.

so between now and the may long weekend we shoot.
we post on the 28th, a saturday.
i will put up a sticky thread on friday night, the 27th.

no limit, just remember we can only post 5 thumbnails in a single post.
colour or/and black & white.
shots all taken with a rangefinder camera is the only real 'rule'.

ok cool, let's do it!!!!!!!

joe

BJ Bignell
05-06-2005, 15:04
Fun! I've already decided that I'm going to cheat, but it's with a pinholaroid, so it's not even a 'real' camera. :rolleyes:

And, as I understand it, Joe, the idea of this is to be day-in-the-life, right? Something that represents us and the space we live/work/play in?

I've passed this thread onto a colleague here at work who's a photographer - with a handsome Contax IIa color dial, no less! Hopefully, he'll join in... (Tim, if you're reading this: Yes, I'm talking about you!)

jan normandale
05-06-2005, 16:18
Sweeeeet

So if Tim jumps in and registers 'officially' we have a 'Bakers Doz' of photogs. Cool. I'm going to make an award to the what I arbitrarily believe is the single best shot (if one is truly a standout) a gift certificate for a dozen from Tim Hortons (the anti-Starbucks) or a bowl of soup. ;-) humour

Jan

BTW

ddutchison
05-07-2005, 00:22
Me too, me too, me too!

I hope some of the other nations represented here pick up the idea, might even be the start of the next RFF book.

back alley
05-07-2005, 06:21
all are welcome.
nice to have you aboard dd.

joe

akalai
05-07-2005, 20:25
Hope you don't mind me posting this, feel free to delete it if it breaks any rules but this seemd like an appropriate place ot post a plea for help!

I need some help in Quebec, St Jean sur Richelieu to be precise. I think its just out of Montreal....there is an item I am after that will only ship within Canada, if you think you might be able to help please check this posting of mine:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=75461#post75461

...and leave me a PM if you can help out. Cheers! AKALAI

akalai
05-07-2005, 23:42
...THANKYOU to those people who offered to help but I have sorted something out! Cheers!

AKALAI

jan normandale
05-26-2005, 21:27
how 'bout we pick a day and come rain or shine, we do a 'day in the life of' series of photos?

let's show our fellow forumers what we are all about.

whadyasay?

i'm thinking a saturday or sunday.
keeping it simple would be best in my mind. no rules.
suggestions welcomed.

joe

Hi Joe

I've got some shots to put up but I'm wondering where they should go. Have we set something up like a file or page?? I'll probably be ready with the last shots mid next week when they get back from the lab.

thanks, Jan

back alley
05-26-2005, 22:26
Hi Joe

I've got some shots to put up but I'm wondering where they should go. Have we set something up like a file or page?? I'll probably be ready with the last shots mid next week when they get back from the lab.

thanks, Jan

jan,

go to the oh canada thread, in rff projects.

p.s. got both of your p.m.'s

joe