PDA

View Full Version : XA ultra-sensitive shutter

SimonK
08-23-2008, 09:59
I recently acquired a nicely looked after XA. The shutter speed indicator is not really working and the seals needed changing, but apart from that all seems fine. I just tried a roll of film and all is well, exposure spot-on (despite what the indicator shows), focusing clear and easy.
But, the shutter is hyper sensitive and even tripped several times without any pressure on the release, just breathing heavily was enough!
Curiously, it only seems to be like this with film loaded, now it is 'empty' the shutter seems perfectly normal, and requires a normal squeeze to release it.
So, anyone else have this problem? Also, is it something fixable? I don't mind poking about inside an old FED, but I'm not sure I am up to DIY in one of these.
Any help or suggestions appreciated.

elwrongo
09-27-2008, 08:00
I had a very similar probloem on an XA I got for free last week. When you wound it on it tripped the shutter! (9 times out of ten). I opened the bottom and saw nothing but when I took it to Max my camera repair guy he saw the problem straight away. There is a little magnet that clings to metal until the hutter it tripped. This gets dirty, even rusty with moisture and won't hold contact, hence the shutter just fires wih the slighttest movement (like winding on). Max cleaned it wit some wet and dry and now it works just fine. $10! You have to take the bottom plate off and its a little black square coming in contac with metal surface.

mh2000
09-27-2008, 09:56
my indicator took in some tobacco fleck and stopped working... it was easy to take the top off once I realized that you have pry off the orange shutter thing to get to the last screw (and super-glue back on when you are done).