PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 35-S

retro
08-09-2008, 15:01
Got this for about $10 at a yard sale. Not pretty but shutter
and other mechanics seem very healthy. Looks like it has
been serviced at some point. Lens is 42/1.8 with a couple very
small coating marks on the front, otherwise good. It could use
a new top cover as there are some rust spots there.

I've never used one of these before. Nice big bright VF as I
found it. Will be even better after internal cleaning.

A cool, quiet camera that handles nicely.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/175/oly35swr6.jpg

nikon_sam
08-09-2008, 19:20
I happen to own three of them in working condition and two more for parts...
A beautiful lens...the only way I can describe it is...it's sharp but soft...
They're super quiet, have a great viewfinder but slow to focus...
The Olympus 35-S was my introduction to RF's...

Let it sit for a few days then fire the shutter @ about 1/15...watch that the shutter opens completely and doesn't stick...The main problem with all of mine were oily shutters...after a few shots they loosen up but after sitting you may loose a few frames due to it not firing...they can be cleaned by removing the front element to get to the shutter leaves...Ronsonol and a Q-Tip will do it but be warned you may have to do this more than once to get all of the oil off...
They also come in a 48mm 2.8 version and a lot of the parts are interchangeable...
Enjoy it if you plan on using it...it will impress you with the results...
Let me know if you need any parts...I'm sure I have a better looking top piece...

retro
08-10-2008, 16:44
I happen to own three of them in working condition and two more for parts...
A beautiful lens...the only way I can describe it is...it's sharp but soft...
They're super quiet, have a great viewfinder but slow to focus...
The Olympus 35-S was my introduction to RF's...

Let it sit for a few days then fire the shutter @ about 1/15...watch that the shutter opens completely and doesn't stick...The main problem with all of mine were oily shutters...after a few shots they loosen up but after sitting you may loose a few frames due to it not firing...they can be cleaned by removing the front element to get to the shutter leaves...Ronsonol and a Q-Tip will do it but be warned you may have to do this more than once to get all of the oil off...
They also come in a 48mm 2.8 version and a lot of the parts are interchangeable...
Enjoy it if you plan on using it...it will impress you with the results...
Let me know if you need any parts...I'm sure I have a better looking top piece...

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I'd be interested in your top piece.

PM me.

Thanks,
Bob

racoll
10-02-2008, 16:10
I found one of these at a flea market, but the rf doesn't work at all and the apertures don't seem to work properly. The design of the camera is so classically beautiful that I wanted another...and found one in excellent condition on the big auction site, which of course I bought. I love this camera and look forward to the results.

nikon_sam
10-02-2008, 20:08
I found one of these at a flea market, but the rf doesn't work at all and the apertures don't seem to work properly. The design of the camera is so classically beautiful that I wanted another...and found one in excellent condition on the big auction site, which of course I bought. I love this camera and look forward to the results.

HA!!! The simple construction and beauty of this camera has yet captured another unsuspecting ________!!!!
Enjoy it...they are indeed nice little cameras...mine will normally have B&W in it...

racoll
10-06-2008, 16:09
I've got a roll of Fuji Superia 400 in mine to see how it does. I've got high expectations for the lens on this one since it's a 7-element Zuiko.

nikon_sam
10-06-2008, 21:08
Mine usually has B&W in it...can't remember the last time I had color, if ever, in it...