PDA

View Full Version : Red Symbols mean...?

DaveW
07-28-2008, 07:36
I was looking over my retinas today and noticed something I had not noticed before.

Around the lens, some have red triangles near the name of the lens. I believe this to mean coated lens (correct me if I am wrong). What I never noticed before is that on two of my cameras, there is the red letter "C". One just a "C" without a triangle, the other with both a "C" and triangle. On another camera is the red letter "A".

Should I assume that these all mean the same thing? (coated glass).

I noticed that all of these symbols were on cameras from the 1950's or newer. Should I assume that older retinas did not have coated lenses (and when did camera manufacturers start doing that?).

I also noticed that some retinas, while being from the 1950's, do not have any red symbols. Should I assume those to be uncoated, even though they are new enough to have been coated? Specifically, I have 2 1b's and 1 1B that have no red marks.

thanks

Dave

kitaanat
08-02-2008, 23:20
I've read this also, the red delta mark shown that lens glass have coating.

My retina's Schneider Retina Xenon 50 f2 did'nt have this delta mark
but it still gave me a very good image quality.

Anat

DaveW
08-04-2008, 18:24
I am pretty sure of the "delta" meaning - someone on photo.net told me that the "C" indicates a particular series of lenses that can be used on those cameras. What I was particularly wondering - I have some "newer" cameras a 1b and a 1B, that do not have the marks but maybe they just stopped marking them because they all were coated at that time? I don't know. Maybe the "b" stands for budget and they just didn't coat them for expense reasons.

Gumby
08-04-2008, 18:59
The red triangle is, indeed, the mark indicating coated lens. The "C" is the designator of the lens mount -- the C-mount.

DaveW
08-05-2008, 11:31
And the "A: would mean...?